Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #481
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
[QUOTE I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS. I powder until very fine, usually about 2 minutes total.QUOTE]
Cat, another question.... when you have this mixed up, do you use as a 1 to 1 replacement for sugar?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #482
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Yes, Judy, pretty much. I always taste to adjust. Sometimes it needs a little more, but I can't remember ever feeling it was too sweet with that ratio. When making something chocolate, I always have to add some to overcome the inherent bitterness chocolate imparts.

Let your palate be your guide, and don't be afraid to add to your product. Remember that you can also use drops to make up the difference, so that's another's option. The drops are less effective with chocolate, however, for most other baked goods, they work well.

It's hard with sugar substitutes to give a definitive amount in a recipe. Think of it as an "area," not a "point." There's just no substitute for tasting, and your palate never lies!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #483
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help, Cat. I've been trying to get the sweetness right in chocolate for years but never completely succeed, especially since I can't stand too much erythritol or Swerve but do like to use a little of it. I've also been looking at a version of the THM sweetener (a combination of E, xylitol and Better Stevia) I'd like to try that because I like xylitol but we have a dog so I'm afraid to use it. That's why I was interested in your mix, using JLS as a replacement for xylitol. I haven't gotten the stevia yet - still trying to decide which to get. The Better Stevia is very concentrated so makes The THM sweetener is twice as sweet as sugar. That would make it more economical in the long run. Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #484
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Judy, sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your post. We had a long interruption, as we live in south FL, and ended up fleeing north to get out of Irma's path, along with tens of thousands of our closest friends...

I use SweetLeaf organic stevia. I've found it to be less prone to bitterness than every other brand I've tried, so to me it's superior. It only takes 1/8 tsp to equal 1 tsp sugar. Don't know how that compares to Better Stevia. I did use that once, but it was more than a year ago, and I just don't recall the equivalence.

Netrition carries the SweetLeaf stevia, which is where I get it. To my palate, there's just no comparison with other brands, so it's the only one I use. But here's the caveat: As with so many LC sweeteners, everyone's palate is different. YMMV.

Last edited by Baricat; 09-21-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Baricat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #485
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Cat. I think I've decided to get the sweetleaf. I put it on my list at Netrition, but waiting to reach the amount where I can get free shipping. I will probably try some variation of your mixture, maybe reducing the amt of E and increasing the JLS. You're right about everyone's palate being different. I can't believe how many people use E based sweeteners like Swerve and Sukrin in large amts. I can't stand the burning sensation they cause, so just use small amts to increase sweetener strength until I've used them up. I just recently discovered and really like JLS and have both white, will have to get the brown to try. Hope everything was OK with your home in FL. Have some friends and relatives who had to evacuate. I'm originally from New Orleans, so know what y'all went through!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #486
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Judy, I think you'll like the SweetLeaf, and I think you will find that it really helps tame the cooling thing you get from E. I really like the JLS brown. I have Sukrin brown, and I mix those two with great results.

Thanks for asking about how it went with Irma. Can't complain, especially after how our house got KO'ed big time with Wilma 12 years ago. Over $100K of damage when a neighbor's patio roof ripped off, became a guided missile, and slammed into our roof, creating a 20'x20' hole. All with the hurricane raining into the middle of our house.

This time, we were supposed to take a direct hit, and were told the storm surge would "extend for miles inland." Since we're only 2 miles from the ocean, we figured discretion is the better part of valor. It was weird, leaving the house and trying to figure out what few small things were important enough to take in our already stuffed compact car. We just resigned ourselves that our house would be gone when we came back. Thought we'd be one of many folks trying to forage through the wreckage for salvageable bits and pieces.

The power was out for 4 days. With Wilma, it was 10. More to celebrate!

I am incredibly grateful that we got spared a direct hit. Lots and lots of trees, bushes, hedges down here, and the huge debris piles are still around, and in some cases, still partially blocking streets. There is just so much that it's going to take awhile for them to cart it all away. Our massive pile is still in front of the house.

As of Monday, several traffic lights still had no power. That might seem like a small thing, but when you realize that each direction has 4 lanes, it's easy to understand that there are a gazillion traffic accidents. Curfews were in effect until this past Monday.

I didn't go anywhere most of the last week after we returned. Just enjoyed having a home and not having to sit in the car for hours on end. The one time I ventured out to the grocery store, a week ago, it looked like Russia! Many, many bare shelves still. No milk, no bread, few produce or staples. Fortunately, I didn't need anything all that badly. Went yesterday again, and although there were still some bare shelves, many things are getting replenished. Slowly, things are getting back to normal again. All traffic lights are back.

I'm just thrilled and feel so blessed that we dodged a bullet.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 AM   #487
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Judy, I think you'll like the SweetLeaf, and I think you will find that it really helps tame the cooling thing you get from E. I really like the JLS brown. I have Sukrin brown, and I mix those two with great results.

Thanks for asking about how it went with Irma. Can't complain, especially after how our house got KO'ed big time with Wilma 12 years ago. Over $100K of damage when a neighbor's patio roof ripped off, became a guided missile, and slammed into our roof, creating a 20'x20' hole. All with the hurricane raining into the middle of our house.

This time, we were supposed to take a direct hit, and were told the storm surge would "extend for miles inland." Since we're only 2 miles from the ocean, we figured discretion is the better part of valor. It was weird, leaving the house and trying to figure out what few small things were important enough to take in our already stuffed compact car. We just resigned ourselves that our house would be gone when we came back. Thought we'd be one of many folks trying to forage through the wreckage for salvageable bits and pieces.

The power was out for 4 days. With Wilma, it was 10. More to celebrate!

I am incredibly grateful that we got spared a direct hit. Lots and lots of trees, bushes, hedges down here, and the huge debris piles are still around, and in some cases, still partially blocking streets. There is just so much that it's going to take awhile for them to cart it all away. Our massive pile is still in front of the house.

As of Monday, several traffic lights still had no power. That might seem like a small thing, but when you realize that each direction has 4 lanes, it's easy to understand that there are a gazillion traffic accidents. Curfews were in effect until this past Monday.

I didn't go anywhere most of the last week after we returned. Just enjoyed having a home and not having to sit in the car for hours on end. The one time I ventured out to the grocery store, a week ago, it looked like Russia! Many, many bare shelves still. No milk, no bread, few produce or staples. Fortunately, I didn't need anything all that badly. Went yesterday again, and although there were still some bare shelves, many things are getting replenished. Slowly, things are getting back to normal again. All traffic lights are back.

I'm just thrilled and feel so blessed that we dodged a bullet.
Wow! So glad everything worked out for you. We evacuated to Ocala (my sisters house) from St Augustine Beach as we live a block from the beach. It was really hard to decide where to go. We came home to no power for the next 6 days. No real damage though. We were lucky to stay with my brother who had power. I feel blessed also.

I saw you weren't posting and was worried for you knowing you live in S Fla. Glad you are back and safe.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #488
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Barbara, I'm glad you made it through safe and sound, too! I was quiet for so long because we finally got our internet restored three days ago. We had burned through a lot of data using GPS while on the road, so I had to conserve. Surfing and email had to wait. But I definitely missed all of you, and when I was back online, it was like a mini-Christmas reading through what had transpired while I was gone!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #489
JimM
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JimM
I've experimented with recipes using vitafiber powder and syrup and it seemed like a great alternative to erithrytol. Then I read several articles claiming that the carb content was understated on the labeling and in reality IMO does get metabolized and has about 1/3 the digestible carbs of regular sugar.

Has there been any resolution regarding the "low carb" claims for these products?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:59 AM   #490
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I've experimented with recipes using vitafiber powder and syrup and it seemed like a great alternative to erithrytol. Then I read several articles claiming that the carb content was understated on the labeling and in reality IMO does get metabolized and has about 1/3 the digestible carbs of regular sugar.

Has there been any resolution regarding the "low carb" claims for these products?
I found this to be very interesting. Unfortunately I have several bottles of Vita Fiber sitting in my pantry.

https://ketogenic.com/nutrition/guide-to-fiber/
Old 10-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #491
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Bump
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #492
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I'm making Soobee's marshamallows this week and will swap out half of the erythritol for Bochasweet, and will report back afterward. I absolutely loved the marshmallows made with xylitol so I don't anticipate having any issues.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #493
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Could Be An Issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I'm making Soobee's marshamallows this week and will swap out half of the erythritol for Bochasweet, and will report back afterward. I absolutely loved the marshmallows made with xylitol so I don't anticipate having any issues.
English, I'm not familiar with the recipe you're referring to, but if cooking/significant heating of the BS doesn't take place in some form, be sure to read my last entry on the BochaSweet thread for info you're going to want to know.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #494
linginfelter
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linginfelter
I have just finished reading this entire thread and I am in awe. You ladies are incredible. I have used Vitafiber for the past year for my protein bars but wow...the possibilities are endless in this thread.

Question though Baricat. First, I apologize for my ignorance as I am not a cook or baker by nature, lol. Would you mind being specific in the measurements for a large batch of your mixed AS? I am not clear on what it means dividing it into parts.

Quote:
Hi, Deb!!

I make my own baking sweetener, using mainly Just Like Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Generally, I use 5 parts erythritol, 1 part stevia, 2 parts JLS. I powder until very fine, usually about 2 minutes total. I always keep a canister of it at the ready. When I want to bake, I don't want to have to go through the hassle and mess of grinding, along with all the measuring, mise-en-place, and mixing.

You were exactly right. I have evolved to using the Monin SF vanilla syrup and tacking on the 5 minutes extra, just as you said. Love the texture! Also, have used DaVinci Peppermint Paddy syrup in place of the vanilla, which made fudgy mint brownies. Using raspberry syrup creates yet another sophisticated, nuanced flavor variation.

I need to underscore, however, how phenomenal this recipe is just as written. Definitely the best brownie recipe I've found. Even non-LC'ers love these!
linginfelter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #495
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Sure, linginfelter. Sorry to cause you confusion!

First step is to pick a unit of measurement that you're comfortable using. For the sake of simplicity, let's say that measurement is one tablespoon (Tb).

That would equal 5 Tb erythritol, 1 Tb stevia, and 2 Tb Just Like Sugar. The unit of measurement is unimportant. It can be anything you want. The formula in my post above simply deals in proportions, and allows you to pick the measurement.

If you want to make more, for example, then maybe you'll select 1/2 cup as your unit (5/2 cup erythritol=2-1/2 cups, 1/2 cup stevia, and 2/2 cup JLS=1 cup)

This way, you can make as much or as little as you want, to make an all-purpose sweetener that works well for most any application. Of course, my new favorite is BochaSweet, but it's way too expensive to use exclusively. That's why I'm going to be doing some baking experiments using half BochaSweet and half of the sweetener mix above, which is much more cost effective. If that doesn't give great results, I'll up the BochaSweet and lower the custom mix, both by a bit.

But the custom mix is excellent, and until I found BochaSweet on here recently, I found this mix to be the most natural-tasting seeetener. I used exclusively this mix both for baked goods and ice cream, with results that were good enough to fool even non-LC'ers.

I hope that clears it up how to do it. If it's still confusing, let me know.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #496
linginfelter
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Baricat, that explains it perfectly. Ironically I just posted in the Bochasweet thread about whether to use it exclusively so you answered that for me as well!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #497
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

LOL, ling!! I answered there, too! Just as well, because there may well be others with the same question. I replied about the cost being somewhat prohibitive, but that it's just too new, so there hasn't been much time for folks to put BS through all its paces yet. The company isn't helpful, so that's been a dead-end. This one will take some time. You're in the right place for answers, however.

And then, there's still that nagging, pesky problem with the price. We here at LCF will find out how well it does its job in due time, but alas, there's nothing we can do about that problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #498
linginfelter
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL, ling!! I answered there, too! Just as well, because there may well be others with the same question. I replied about the cost being somewhat prohibitive, but that it's just too new, so there hasn't been much time for folks to put BS through all its paces yet. The company isn't helpful, so that's been a dead-end. This one will take some time. You're in the right place for answers, however.

And then, there's still that nagging, pesky problem with the price. We here at LCF will find out how well it does its job in due time, but alas, there's nothing we can do about that problem.

Lol, you are so right. Is this the stevia you use for AS blend? I want to make sure I get the right one. It seems so small. Does it last awhile?

https://www2.netrition.com/sweetleaf...ia-powder.html
Old 10-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #499
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

It is, ling! It does last awhile, unless you plan to make gobs of custom sweetener with great frequency. Most on here don't bake as much as I tend to do, however, and it lasts me anywhere from 2-3 months, occasionally longer in the summer months, when I tend to bake less.

That said, you can find bigger packages (some at less cost) at Netrition of various brands. Not sure I've ever seen this SweetLeaf one in a larger package. But you might want to experiment with other brands, as well, to see what works best for you. This one has the least tendency of any I've tried toward bitterness, which is why it's now the one I have taken to using exclusively. Others have had success with NuNaturals.