Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
stephdray
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Low Carb Pots de Creme

For those of you who don't know, pots de creme are little cups of chocolate delight--some cross between mousse, pudding, and ganache. Pronounced the French way it sounds decidedly less appetizing, but when I recently read a simplified recipe for it, I realized just how easy it would be to low carb it.

This is currently my #1 favorite and easy dessert and I thought I'd share it here.
  • 7 oz. Low Carb Chocolate (I used 4 dark chocoperfection bars but chips or something else would work too. Maybe even baker's chocolate, but then you'd have to sweeten it)
  • 2 eggs
  • 4oz. BOILING coffee (I used Monin' espresso concentrate in water, heated up in microwave)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract or flavored liquor (I used kaluah)

Directions:

1. Break up chocolate into small chip-like chunks, then put them in the blender (I just smashed with rolling pin, then magic-bulleted them a little bit)
2. Crack open two eggs on top of chocolate
3. Blend the heck out of it
4. While it's blending, add the boiling hot coffee (this tempers the eggs and melts the chocolate)
5. Pour into cups and chill

After the first 2-3 hours, you'll get a soft pudding. If you leave it over night, it will make ganache. If you're worried about the eggs not being cooked enough by the coffee (and I was), you can put the mixture into the microwave for 4 30 second intervals, whisking after each time to make sure the egg sets but doesn't scramble. Then pour into cups and chill. The cooked egg texture will not be more velvety than silky, but it is still amazingly delicious.

Makes 4 generous servings. By my counts the resulting mixture is under 250 calories and less than 3 carbs per desert.

TRY IT!!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote