Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Superchick
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Superchick
Anyone have experience with HFLC and thyroid/hormone issues?

Without going into my entire life history, I have eaten clean (fairly low carb, no gluten, no sugar, etc) for about 5 years after doing a couple of rounds of hcg ( I know, probably not a good idea). I was at a good weight and fairly happy where I was. However, after finishing hcg, I went into adrenal fatigue and found I had low thyroid. Started on armour and Cortef. Still maintained okay for a couple of years, but now I am peri menopausal! I am now on armour thyroid, DHEA, and progesterone and have had to eat mostly gluten/soy free (for thyroid) as well. I have gained about 10 lbs that will not budge (that's about 1 1/2 pants size for me!!) and recently just gained a couple more for no reason. I've tried going back to HPLC, but that no longer works like it used to. I've try Sommersizing, FMD, counting calories and macros with ***, blah, blah, blah. Nothing works. I can't handle low fat/calories: makes me feel HORRIBLE and makes me evil. But I feel I could totally do high fat. Although, I've never done HF moderate protein, this is a combo I never thought about before and I'm not finding much info on it for my particular situation. Does anyone have ANY thoughts,advice or experiences to share? TIA!
Superchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 50yo, 5-4, 200ish/186/130-140
WOE: DrWahl'sProtocol: VeryHi Coconut Fat & Lots LCVegs
Start Date: 1/19/15
I have lots of experience HA
--but no success or answers
I did keto for almost 3 mos and only lost some water wgt at the beginning. Then i was so bored with the food and not losing (which wud have kept me motivated) that I said ah, forget it.
I will be reading this thread to see if you learn anything!
I had killer satiation for quite awhile but then boredom set in like I said. Then I was still hungry after my 2 meals a day, or i wanted more protein than allowed at a meal etc. I was IFing and watching my calories, making sure I didnt go out of macros for the day. Doing all the things u do wen u are having trouble with losing wen in ketosis.
Nada worked.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchick View Post
Without going into my entire life history, I have eaten clean (fairly low carb, no gluten, no sugar, etc) for about 5 years after doing a couple of rounds of hcg ( I know, probably not a good idea). I was at a good weight and fairly happy where I was. However, after finishing hcg, I went into adrenal fatigue and found I had low thyroid. Started on armour and Cortef. Still maintained okay for a couple of years, but now I am peri menopausal! I am now on armour thyroid, DHEA, and progesterone and have had to eat mostly gluten/soy free (for thyroid) as well. I have gained about 10 lbs that will not budge (that's about 1 1/2 pants size for me!!) and recently just gained a couple more for no reason. I've tried going back to HPLC, but that no longer works like it used to. I've try Sommersizing, FMD, counting calories and macros with ***, blah, blah, blah. Nothing works. I can't handle low fat/calories: makes me feel HORRIBLE and makes me evil. But I feel I could totally do high fat. Although, I've never done HF moderate protein, this is a combo I never thought about before and I'm not finding much info on it for my particular situation. Does anyone have ANY thoughts,advice or experiences to share? TIA!
I was not losing weight. I lost 30 pounds and then stalled. I am post menopausal. I have now been doing IF. I only eat 2 meals a day. One large and one small. I skip eating after noon. I have begun to lose once again. You may try skipping some meals to see if it helps. Eat one large meal a day and one very small one. Keep your body guessing. This has been really easy for me to do. I have been on LCHF for 2 years though. When I was eating high carb, I could have never skipped a meal.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène View Post
I have lots of experience HA
--but no success or answers
I did keto for almost 3 mos and only lost some water wgt at the beginning. Then i was so bored with the food and not losing (which wud have kept me motivated) that I said ah, forget it.
I will be reading this thread to see if you learn anything!
I had killer satiation for quite awhile but then boredom set in like I said. Then I was still hungry after my 2 meals a day, or i wanted more protein than allowed at a meal etc. I was IFing and watching my calories, making sure I didnt go out of macros for the day. Doing all the things u do wen u are having trouble with losing wen in ketosis.
Nada worked.
I am doing IF now. I eat what I want for my lunch. I skip sugar and grains. I do eat a small amount of berries. I added in sweet potato and avocado. I still eat a lot of fat. I also eat a lot more protein. So far this week, I am down 4 pounds. I just do not eat after noon. A person could just skip breakfast or dinner and do just fine. My husband and I like to have breakfast in the morning though.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

I ate no berries, sugar, grains, swt potato, beans, etc. I ate lunch and dinner only, no brkfst so I IFd from 6pm to 11am or noon.
Glad its working for u!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Superchick
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm so frustrated. I literally have gained 10 lbs in less than six months. I had been doing well(no hunger) the last three weeks or so eating HFLC, but only lost about 2 lbs. Then came three out of town trips and I'm back up and then some. I also wasn't counting calories. I'm sure my calorie count is higher than I really need. I've never necessarily agreed with calories in/calories out. But I think since I'm in a different situation now because of the medical issues, perhaps I need to start counting. Which sucks. I dislike counting so much. I have also done IF. It worked well in the past for a correction after a big trip. I have been skipping breakfast while eating HF and did okay as long as I had coconut oil in my coffee. But at the same time, that's not helping the calories. Its just so frustrating because all the things that worked in the past suddenly don't work anymore. My dr. Blew me off and said I needed to read the blood sugar cure (or something like that). Well, I don't eat high glycemic foods and he knows that. Ugh.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jessluvzbacon
Stats: 252/159.8/150
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: June 1, 2014
I feel you. I've been keto for almost a year with success. The catch is, I had to start counting calories around 3 mo. Fat is great for you. And it IS super tasty, but it is also VERY calorie dense. So for me, who loves to eat, it became necessary to keep an eye on the calories. I love eating fat, and if I don't watch it, I end up with too many calories. Since January I've been struggling to lose. I have 15lb left but it is so slow. I was eating as I always had, but suddenly it stopped working. There WAS some calorie creep. I exercise 5 days a week, and that boosts the appetite. I stalled for 34 days. Recently I upped my protein a little (decreasing the fat a little. It is still high) and the scale finally moved again.

Calorie counting sucks. But they have some good sites and apps. Once you get in the groove of things, and figure out how they work, the habit and routine of it gives you momentum that makes it seem tons easier. I pre-plan my day after breakfast so it's all in there and I don't have to stand there and enter foods while I'm hungry and delay my meal. The good thing about tracking, is that you get a more detailed view of portion sizes and calorie counts. I've found we generally are eating more than we think. I'm able to eye-ball pretty close what a serving is and guesstimate the calorie count for when I'm unable to track, like when I'm camping or in a place without wifi, so too much damage isn't done.

I recommend googling a keto calculator. You can enter your height, weight, and carb count, and help you figure out how much your minimum protein should be and what your calorie count should be. You have to go back and re-input every 10lb or so, since as you lose your body needs fewer calories. But I find that helps me keep on top of things. Pick a 20% or less calorie deficit.

I hope some of this blabber is helpful. Just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one who has been having trouble with this. And I don't even have a medical condition as an excuse, just mean-ol'-body-homeostasis working against me. Hang in there.
jessluvzbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Superchick
Junior LCF Member

I decided to try IF with at least a 16 hr window of fasting. Trying to keep calories around 1200 and heavy on good fats. Having coconut oil or MCT in my coffe in the morning. So far I've lost about 3 lbs. We'll see how it goes!!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

I decided 1200 or even 1500 cal wasnt enough for me. I was hungry. So Im going to try 1800--when I get back on it. Hopefully I wont fall off it this time cuz Im not hungry & bored.