Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Power34
Stats: bouncing around
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: getting serious 4/2015
I need more fat!

Hey guys.

I've tried Ankerl's keto-calculator for calculating my macros.
my results would be: 1298cal, 102g fat, 70g protein, 25g carbs (70/22/8)

I entered these macros in my calorie calculator app, added my planned meals for today and found out I'm almost 50g short on FAT.

I drink 2 protein-shakes, one for breakfast & one for lunch, eggs for dinner with lots of mayo and a big bowl of lettuce with olive oil.
I'm below 25g carbs, 70g protein no problem. But I can't get more than 50-70g fat a day (70 on a good day.)

I only drink protein shakes 2 days a week when I'm at the office. It's practical and I'm not tempted to give in to sudden cravings at the supermarket or cafeteria.

How can I add more fat to my diet without having to drink shots of coconut oil? I'd be grateful for your suggestions.
Power34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
gotsomeold
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I can't eat much coconut oil. I measure and eat butter when I am in a hurry. Or put extra HWC in coffee or tea. Or make BPC/BPTea with butter, HWC.

Pre-make then freeze fat bombs is my fave . If you run a search on fat bombs you will find a gazillion delicious recipes.

I never have trouble eating enough fat.
Changed to LCHF after becoming diabetic in 9/13 (Lost 15 more pounds).
STILL below goal 11/21/15

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 AM   #3
Power34
Senior LCF Member

I don't like coffee with butter *yuck*

I googled fat bombs and found some really nice recipes. Gotta search some more though because I don't really have a sweet tooth.

There's a nice thread here too but savoury recipies are sadly underrepresented.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jessluvzbacon
Stats: 252/168/150
WOE: Mod carb 60-100g
Start Date: June 1, 2014
I don't like butter in my coffee either. I do put a half tbsp of coconut oil though.

I don't make sweet fat bombs. Sweets are one of the trigger foods that got me obese. So I avoid them. But some of the savory fat bombs look so delicious. I haven't every really made a "fat bomb" but some of the snacks and dips I make would qualify.

Avocado Garlic Mayo is a dip I use for everything. Pork rinds, mix with my veggies, or dip my meats in it.

1 avocado mashed
1 tbsp lemon juice
garlic salt to taste
mayo (about equivalent in tbsp as your ounces of avocado)

This is so yummy, I could eat it with a spoon, which I guess is like eating a fat bomb.

Super Dip-
mix sour cream and mayo, about 50/50. Add a tbsp or 2 of ranch dressing. Add garlic salt and other spices to taste. That's pretty yummy as well.

Those are just ones I use regularly.
To help with fat, I can add sour cream, butter, or bacon fat to my veggies at supper.
Eating egg, tuna, or chicken salad often.
Adding cheese to things always boosts your fat.
And budgeting nuts in, as nuts are fat-dense (keep portion sizes though as they are also calorie dense.)

Sometimes I lay out some pepperoni slices on a plate, cut a small square slice of cheese and lay it on each one and microwave until it's melted. I have to eat it with a fork, but it's yummy.

Hope some of that blathering helps.

Last edited by jessluvzbacon; 03-31-2015 at 07:18 AM..
jessluvzbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
Seems the easiest solution is to up the fat macros of your protein shakes, add HWC or avocado to them. In Keto Clarity, Dr. Westman commented that at dinner Jimmy Moore literally added a bite of butter to every bite of food. Same theory.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I never have trouble getting more fat in when needed. I love to take softened butter and mix some mint extract in with some swerve sweetener(use whatever sweetener you prefer.) butter is my go-to fat because coconut oil sometimes upsets my stomach. I could just eat butter off of a spoon

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jessluvzbacon
Stats: 252/168/150
WOE: Mod carb 60-100g
Start Date: June 1, 2014
Oh goodness. I forgot deviled eggs. Savory fat bombs if ever there were any. I eat those for breakfast and lunch when I have some made.
jessluvzbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I'm totally new to a high fat WOE having avoided it almost all my adult life. I like butter, but I couldn't eat it with a spoon and I feel apprehensive about adding any fat to my coffee...
Gonna try out some of the above anyway. I'm serious about LCHF!
Yesterday I was short of my daily calorie goal - which already is quite low - for lack of fat.
Eating so much fat really is new for me and a great leap from my former WOE. It still takes some getting used to.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I just ate one of my new favorite fats: sour cream with sweetener. It's like Greek yogurt only with less carbs. Yummy! Berries are good in it too, but if you don't want the carbs it's good just by itself. 60 grams is enough to quiet my brain and make me feel satisfied.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MountainMom
What is a fat bomb? Is it just a super fattening treat? What's the benefit?
MountainMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
makrida
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/126/125
WOE: low carb/if
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I just ate one of my new favorite fats: sour cream with sweetener. It's like Greek yogurt only with less carbs. Yummy! Berries are good in it too, but if you don't want the carbs it's good just by itself. 60 grams is enough to quiet my brain and make me feel satisfied.
I love this. I like to have it with a few raspberries
Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
MountainMom - if you query fat bombs, you'll see lots of posts and recipes. The name fat bomb refers to the high percentage of fat, not that it's fattening. Many people find them satisfying and reduces the desire to snack or eat off plan. Hope this helps!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
FatBomb
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatBomb
Fatbombs also help when you are trying to maintain a certain ratio of fat to protein and carbs. If you are getting too much protein, it helps to have a meal or snack that is very, very low in protein/carbs and high in fat. Just so happens that many fatbombs are also just like candy so can help curb the sweet tooth, too.
FatBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
FatBomb
Senior LCF Member

You can make a very luscious chocolate pudding with cocoa, sweetner and sour cream, too! Love sour cream! It is great plain as a dip with pepperoni chips that have been microwaved until crisp. Dana Carpender's book on Fat Fasting has some excellent recipes to increase fat percentage...even if you are not into fat fasting.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Cocoa, avocado, sweetener, heavy cream or coconut creme. Stir so no green bits and challenge people to guess what's in it. I've got the proportions on a post here somewhere...
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 AM   #16
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMom View Post
What is a fat bomb? Is it just a super fattening treat? What's the benefit?
Fat bombs are high in fat and low in carbs and protein. They've been suggested to me in order to increase my daily fat intake. I want to eat according to my macros but I have trouble to ingest enough fat.
If I don't get enough fat the ratio fat : protein : carbs is off target and that kicks me out of ketosis.
Also I have trouble getting enough calories when I don't eat more fat.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #17
sterlinggirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 194/166 GOAL.5'9 50Years young
WOE: Atkins 2/20/17
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBomb View Post
You can make a very luscious chocolate pudding with cocoa, sweetner and sour cream, too! Love sour cream! It is great plain as a dip with pepperoni chips that have been microwaved until crisp. Dana Carpender's book on Fat Fasting has some excellent recipes to increase fat percentage...even if you are not into fat fasting.
Oh Yummy,Going to try this tonight.

1991 Highest Weight 296#
1995 Low Fat 190#
2012 225#Job change.
2012 lost 60# on JUDDD. 166 N Lw
2015 185# Depression.
4/1/2015 NK new Woe. @ 185
My whole life has been a battle BUT I always get back up when it knocks me down.. Never give up!!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
FatBomb
Senior LCF Member

Last few times I tried the s. cream choco pud, I was using 100% stevia powder to sweeten with. Unfortunately, stevia can make it very bitter when a lot is needed. I've since been experimenting with different sweetners and recently bought some sorbitol. It has no after taste and is like powdered sugar in taste and look. I bet using the sorbitol instead of the stevia would make the pud really good! I'll have to try some as soon as get some more sour cream!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #19
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power34 View Post
Hey guys.

I've tried Ankerl's keto-calculator for calculating my macros.
my results would be: 1298cal, 102g fat, 70g protein, 25g carbs (70/22/8)

I entered these macros in my calorie calculator app, added my planned meals for today and found out I'm almost 50g short on FAT.

I drink 2 protein-shakes, one for breakfast & one for lunch, eggs for dinner with lots of mayo and a big bowl of lettuce with olive oil.
I'm below 25g carbs, 70g protein no problem. But I can't get more than 50-70g fat a day (70 on a good day.)

I only drink protein shakes 2 days a week when I'm at the office. It's practical and I'm not tempted to give in to sudden cravings at the supermarket or cafeteria.

How can I add more fat to my diet without having to drink shots of coconut oil? I'd be grateful for your suggestions.
Add heavy cream to your protein shakes. Add butter to your vegetables. Add sour cream or butter to your meats and eggs.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Last few times I tried the s. cream choco pud, I was using 100% stevia powder to sweeten with. Unfortunately, stevia can make it very bitter when a lot is needed. I've since been experimenting with different sweetners and recently bought some sorbitol. It has no after taste and is like powdered sugar in taste and look. I bet using the sorbitol instead of the stevia would make the pud really good! I'll have to try some as soon as get some more sour cream!
Be careful with sorbitol. It can cause digestive upset.
Carolyn
Old 04-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #21
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I use a lot of sour cream also. It is good with almost everything.
Carolyn
Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #22
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Lately I've upped my fat intake considerably and I must say it works wonders. Maybe not on the scale yet (given my lack of discipline...) - but in other terms. I have more energy throughout the day, less hunger and no cravings.
If I need an emergency fat bomb, I'll have a tsp of almond or peanut butter => this has a similar effect on me now as chocolate had in my HC-days - with the difference that the effect lasts longer by far.

I had to adjust my habits (and my thinking!) considerably. This WOE is very different to everything I've ever done and believed in. It still feels weird. Good though, but weird
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #23
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It is hard to put aside the many years of being trained to think that dietary fat is bad. It can be if it is poor quality oils but if we are careful to adhere to good quality natural fats, it is good for our health.

It is too bad that we call the excess organ on our body 'fat' and our dietary macro nutrient the same thing. I think we should all start calling body fat 'adipose tissue'!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote