Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MountainMom
I'm new and about to cry

Hello all. I'm happy to have found this forum. I hope someone can offer me some advice about starting down this path.

Well here is my long story.

Two kids later, I went from a nice 140lbs to a very uncomfortable 220 for my small 5'3" frame.

I went on a low carb diet and seemed to effortlessly drop to 160.

Now it's...well now, and I'm the same 160 and after 4 years of being a near vegetarian, I've been puzzled as to how I'm still the same weight.

After doing a lot of reading, I realize that essentially I was filling my body with the glucose fuel each morning by means of a banana/cherry/spinach smoothie every day - so it's now understandable why I wasn't losing weight.

My body has been burning that fuel for so many years, none of my plentiful fat reserves have been touched and maybe my body doesn't even remember how to burn fat for fuel.

I'm planning on losing at least another 30-40 lbs and I started my lchf diet about 10 days ago and when I got on the scale I wasn't surprised to see that for the 1000th time checking it, I was still at my good old 160. My body is clinging to the fat as though it's a nice warm blanky and it just won't let it go. And I really want to find a way to yank this blanky away from my body once and for all.

I'm not sure why my low carb diet worked so well before, I really don't. I was making diet soda whipped cream floats, eating loads of cheese with reckless abandonment and drinking half and half.

Because I'm clearly not entering ketosis now after my first 10 days, I'm obviously doing something wrong. I think I should have at least dropped a few pounds in water weight, but nothing. My point in posting this is maybe SOMEONE will see something in this and go AHA! That's her mistake. I hope!

My go to foods right now are: Salmon steaks, green olives (lots), broccoli florets, a few cherry tomatoes, poultry, eggs, a lot of bacon (i just go grab a piece every few hours for a super fast snack) spinach leaves, blue cheese dressing (it has a carb per tablespoon, so only using a little) cream cheese..only a little here and there, butter, lots of very low carb veggies. I'm not eating any fruit at all, nor any so called low carb packaged foods.

I'm also making oopsy bread, which I'm not crazy about, but better than no "bread" at all. I also started adding flax meal to them...not a lot, maybe 1/4 cup per 10 breads.

Drinks: Water and coffee with about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and for sweetness - EZ-Sweets (which replaced Stevia packs because they were 3 carbs per pack!) EZ Sweets is very good in my coffee. I tried Skinnygirl Stevia extract and found it to be quite unpleasant in my coffee.

The foods that I'm ditching this week: Canned whipped cream because I can't keep my grubby hands off the can. And I'm limiting my cheese intake because I may be one of the unlucky few that has to cut the dairy. .

I decided that I should also watch my portions, as I think I'm eating too much at one sitting.

Also, what about keto strips? Should I be doing that? Does anyone find those pretty accurate?

I exercise 4-5 times a week and usually log 9k-13k steps on a pedometer per day, so I'm pretty active.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Last edited by MountainMom; 03-25-2015 at 07:15 PM..
MountainMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMom View Post
Hello all. I'm happy to have found this forum. I hope someone can offer me some advice about starting down this path.

Well here is my long story.

Two kids later, I went from a nice 140lbs to a very uncomfortable 220 for my small 5'3" frame.

I went on a low carb diet and seemed to effortlessly drop to 160.

Now it's...well now, and I'm the same 160 and after 4 years of being a near vegetarian, I've been puzzled as to how I'm still the same weight.

After doing a lot of reading, I realize that essentially I was filling my body with the glucose fuel each morning by means of a banana/cherry/spinach smoothie every day - so it's now understandable why I wasn't losing weight.

My body has been burning that fuel for so many years, none of my plentiful fat reserves have been touched and maybe my body doesn't even remember how to burn fat for fuel.

I'm planning on losing at least another 30-40 lbs and I started my lchf diet about 10 days ago and when I got on the scale I wasn't surprised to see that for the 1000th time checking it, I was still at my good old 160. My body is clinging to the fat as though it's a nice warm blanky and it just won't let it go. And I really want to find a way to yank this blanky away from my body once and for all.

I'm not sure why my low carb diet worked so well before, I really don't. I was making diet soda whipped cream floats, eating loads of cheese with reckless abandonment and drinking half and half.

Because I'm clearly not entering ketosis now after my first 10 days, I'm obviously doing something wrong. I think I should have at least dropped a few pounds in water weight, but nothing. My point in posting this is maybe SOMEONE will see something in this and go AHA! That's her mistake. I hope!

My go to foods right now are: Salmon steaks, green olives (lots), broccoli florets, a few cherry tomatoes, poultry, eggs, a lot of bacon (i just go grab a piece every few hours for a super fast snack) spinach leaves, blue cheese dressing (it has a carb per tablespoon, so only using a little) cream cheese..only a little here and there, butter, lots of very low carb veggies. I'm not eating any fruit at all, nor any so called low carb packaged foods.

I'm also making oopsy bread, which I'm not crazy about, but better than no "bread" at all. I also started adding flax meal to them...not a lot, maybe 1/4 cup per 10 breads.

Drinks: Water and coffee with about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and for sweetness - EZ-Sweets (which replaced Stevia packs because they were 3 carbs per pack!) EZ Sweets is very good in my coffee. I tried Skinnygirl Stevia extract and found it to be quite unpleasant in my coffee.

The foods that I'm ditching this week: Canned whipped cream because I can't keep my grubby hands off the can. And I'm limiting my cheese intake because I may be one of the unlucky few that has to cut the dairy. .

I decided that I should also watch my portions, as I think I'm eating too much at one sitting.

Also, what about keto strips? Should I be doing that? Does anyone find those pretty accurate?

I exercise 4-5 times a week and usually log 9k-13k steps on a pedometer per day, so I'm pretty active.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it a lot!

Like many of us, maybe you need to cut back your food intake. As we get older it is much harder to lose weight. Hormones do play a huge part in it. I think I would be able to lose more if I lowered my calories to no more than 1200 a day and gave up coffee. I am not willing to do that just yet. You will have to decide if you want to sacrifice some of your food, so you can be thinner. Or are you really happy where you are even though you do not look like a model. I certainly would be happy at 160. I weighed that about 15 years ago and looked pretty good. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall. Anyway, you may need to reduce all carbs and eat less protein and cut back on some of your fat.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
It seems you already have found a couple things to cut.. too much whipped cream and too much cheese can kill your diet. I would go back to basics and eat a typical induction week to see if that shakes things loose. There are a lot of threads with suggestions of what to eat.. Limit the bacon and any lunch types of meats also because they have nitrates which can also stall you.. it sounds like you are eating a lot of bacon so I would cut it down a bit. NO hot dogs... NO lunch meats.. Just eat basic.. meat.. low carb veggies... lots of water.. see what happens in a week. Make sure you weigh the day you start your basic plan (If you decide to try that) and do not weigh for 1 whole week. Also make sure you are measuring because you can lose weight not on the scale but on the measuring tape.

I hope you enjoy the site!!

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Power34
Stats: bouncing around
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: getting serious 4/2015
Welcome MountainMom! I'm quite new here too and people in this forum have helped me so much already. I hope you'll be as happy as I am here!

I can only agree with what lovetoknit and Cheri have said.
Check your calorie intake, maybe even check your macros - there are so-called Keto-Calculators out there that may help you get an overview about what you may or may not consume.
Drink water! At the very least 64oz a day. I drink even more because my body needs it I'm always thirsty these days.
I managed to get into ketosis within 3 days by absolutely avoiding anything that might contain carbs. No veggies for 2 days - I figured my body had already had to cope with so much worse it wouldn't kill me.

I haven't used ketostix yet but I've just ordered a batch. I know I'm in ketosis because I feel absolutely fabulous and I eat next to no carbs at all (and I smell ketogenic ).
But I'd like to get a better understanding of how my body reacts to certain foods that's why I'm going to try them out.

Good luck to you and please keep us informed!
I'm sure you'll be successful soon because THIS WORKS! Just stick with it your body fat's got no chance AT ALL.
Power34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome and hello!

I wonder why you think you are not in ketosis?

You say 'loads of low carb veggies'? How much is that?

Are you experiencing any appetite changes?

Quote:

The description of your menu is fine except in order to access it, actual amounts is needed. You might have avoided actually keeping track of your food but it seems that it is now necessary.

Find a good food tracker (if you haven't already) and begin logging what you actually eat. I suggest weight measurements where possible as they tend to be most accurate.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 03-26-2015 at 10:13 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/128/goal/120
WOE: Keto/low carb high fat
Start Date: January 1, 2014
First off you are getting way too much dairy...and depending on how destroyed your body is by hormones or messed up metabolism will dictate how fast you take off weight. Low carb high fat/keto is not Atkins....ketosis and keto adapted are very different animals...you can get into ketosis just by doing a 3 day water fast or even doing an egg or fat fast...but, being keto adapted where your brain has literally accepted that the fuel its getting from now on is fat takes a lot longer and can take weeks for some people. I would stick to low carb veggies and fatty meats only like some of the ladies have suggested. I wouldn't start adding in lots of dairy or fake breads until you see that your body is healing and letting go of fat...your body will not let go until it's started to heal hope that helps
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was at work all day or I would have responded sooner.

As far as the whipped cream, I realize I was overdoing it because it was just too good. It's gone and good riddance!

As far as trying to be happy with myself at my current weight...well because I'm short too, that makes me feel and look bigger, so I think getting down to 125-130 would be a good weight.

When I said "load of low carb vegetables" I meant maybe 2 cups per day and maybe I'm overdoing it. I'm trying to eat smaller salads.

I do notice my appetite decreasing a lot. The terrible cravings are gone. I think my body forgot how to burn fat and was too dependent on the carbs, thus it was causing me to crave them.

And yes, I agree, I need to watch my portions. I didn't realize that my portions were probably 2-3 servings. I'm trying to have some small snacks in the fridge to eat when I feel a little hungry but not enough for a meal.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Canned whipped cream usually has sugar too, so it's a good thing you quit that. The sugar in the canned whipped cream may have been driving your cravings.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
Erin57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/137/150 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
It sounds like you have been maintaining the 60 lb. weight loss by consuming the calories that you need for that weight. The reason that you lost great from 220 to 160 is that you were not eating for a 220 lb. person.

Start a tracker and check your carbs and calories. Look for areas to cut back if you can. You can make little changes that you might not even care about. 1 less piece of bacon, 1 tsp. less of dairy, etc… They all add up.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, that's what I'm doing. I had two eggs and a small piece of deli chicken this morning and 9 hours later I'm just barely hungry. Before, on my high carb diet, I would have been completely famished by now. I came home, had piece of salmon, a few green olives and a little bit of guacamole and feeling full.

I don't think I'm going to be able to actually weigh my foods. I'm just going to go with small amounts instead.

I'm going to read all your advice a few more times just to make sure it's in my head. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Edit: And yes Erin...I totally agree.

Last edited by MountainMom; 03-27-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/128/goal/120
WOE: Keto/low carb high fat
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Mountain mom, if you don't have a scale you can use measuring cups to do your portions...I did that before I got a scale and I really only weighed and measured for the first couple months..I pretty much know how much to eat now and my body tells me when it's full
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I'm doing. I had two eggs and a small piece of deli chicken this morning and 9 hours later I'm just barely hungry. Before, on my high carb diet, I would have been completely famished by now. I came home, had piece of salmon, a few green olives and a little bit of guacamole and feeling full.

I don't think I'm going to be able to actually weigh my foods. I'm just going to go with small amounts instead.

I'm going to read all your advice a few more times just to make sure it's in my head. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Edit: And yes Erin...I totally agree.
It sounds as if you are feeling the effects of ketosis. That is a great thing! In terms of weighing or measuring food - it is just good 'data' to have. It is so hard to remember and/or be accurate and this can confuse things royally. I agree, that if you don't have a scale, just use the cup measures.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

You guys are so helpful. Thanks so much.

If the scale hasn't moved by Wednesday, I will start measuring.

Right now, I'm focusing on small portions and waiting as long as I can between meals. I WILL GET THAT SCALE MOVING!

My weakness is sweets... last night I got desperate and I melted about a tablespoon of butter and mixed in a little unsweetened cocoa and a little EZ Sweet and ate that. No carbs, but even so, I felt guilty. It was a moment of joy though.

I'm wondering about heavy cream...is it okay, or not okay to use this? It has "0 carbs", but...I feel wrong using it. I think I'm taking in too much...maybe 3/4 cup a day when I add it all up. I'm starting to think I may have to stop using it. I LOVE using it in my coffee, but I can't just have it in the fridge and not use it for other things too. : / Maybe I need to just start drinking tea instead. I think I will do that. It will be hard, but I think I need to eliminate it too. : (
Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #14
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Heavy whipping cream has 6.64 carbs per cup. It's very easy to over consume that's why Atkins' rule was no more than 3 tablespoons a day.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

I wish I could stick to that, but because I can't, I won't be buying it again. : ( Tea only from here on. *sniff*
Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You guys are so helpful. Thanks so much.

If the scale hasn't moved by Wednesday, I will start measuring.

Right now, I'm focusing on small portions and waiting as long as I can between meals. I WILL GET THAT SCALE MOVING!

My weakness is sweets... last night I got desperate and I melted about a tablespoon of butter and mixed in a little unsweetened cocoa and a little EZ Sweet and ate that. No carbs, but even so, I felt guilty. It was a moment of joy though.

I'm wondering about heavy cream...is it okay, or not okay to use this? It has "0 carbs", but...I feel wrong using it. I think I'm taking in too much...maybe 3/4 cup a day when I add it all up. I'm starting to think I may have to stop using it. I LOVE using it in my coffee, but I can't just have it in the fridge and not use it for other things too. : / Maybe I need to just start drinking tea instead. I think I will do that. It will be hard, but I think I need to eliminate it too. : (
Some people have a problem with heavy cream and others do not. Heavy cream does not affect me. I lost the 30 pounds while having lots of heavy cream. Cheese does affect me. Also too much protein and vegetables and fruit all affect me. You will have to do a test to see if it is a problem with you. I recommend that you start with just a few foods that you know do not affect you and then add one food in at a time to see how it works for you. Every body is different. Also sweeteners do affect me. I have given up using much sweetener at all. I still have some once in a while, but I really limit it to no more than a serving a day.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 03-28-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

oh gosh, if I have to give up the sweetener, I'm really going to suffer. I'm losing the heavy cream for now and if that doesn't work after a week, I'll sadly stop using the sweetener for a week and see if that helps. Other than those two things, there doesn't seem to be anything else I can possibly cut.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Most commonly, if your carbs are low enough and you still haven't achieved ketosis it is a case of excess protein. You say you are a moderate build, female and 5'3. Your protein amounts would likely be no more than 80 grams for a single day. Maybe less.

We are butter together!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

so I need to cut out most dairy, weigh my veggies and limit my protein which is what I'm eating a lot of in the form of salmon. I'm starting to wonder if I just need to stop eating all together.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

80 grams is about .18 of a lb. So maybe just a small piece of salmon per day. Ughh. Maybe I need a scale after all. That sure doesn't seem like much.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #21
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Here's approx 80 grams:

I guess I can live with that. Wow, have I been overeating.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
clackley
Chatty Cathy

No that is 80 grams of weight of the meat but contains about 12 grams of protein. We have this annoying habit of calling things the same thing when really they are not.

You should only change one thing at a time in order to know what is the key.

We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 03-28-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #23
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Oh I see....so I could eat about 5-6 salmon steaks?...that's a bit much even for me, but maybe 2-3 salmon steaks and maybe 5 strips of bacon?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #24
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Sorry but as it happens, salmon is higher in general that other meats. A 100gram peice would contain something like 18 grams of protein. Remembering that other foods also contain protein, it would be safe to say that you could try eating 3 100gram servings of salmon per day provided that you are not getting a lot of protein from cheese or what ever else you are consuming.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/sh...2C+pink%2C+raw

We are butter together!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

okay, I think I can do that. Thanks for helping me with that. : )
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #26
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Just to confuse you more .......I would suggest not eating more than 60 grams of protein.

Sorry Cathy, I think 80 is too high unless she's extremely active.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #27
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Well I think 60 grams still seems okay for me, so I think I'll be fine with that. haha : )
Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Just to confuse you more .......I would suggest not eating more than 60 grams of protein.

Sorry Cathy, I think 80 is too high unless she's extremely active.
I actually agree with you. Sixty is a better place to start.

We are butter together!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #29
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh I see....so I could eat about 5-6 salmon steaks?...that's a bit much even for me, but maybe 2-3 salmon steaks and maybe 5 strips of bacon?

That would be way too much protein. You could probably get away with 6 oz of salmon and a couple of strips of bacon a day. Salmon has about 7 to 8 grams of protein per oz. That would be about 48 gram of protein. Bacon has about 4 to 6 grams of protein per slice. Then you also have to count the protein in vegetables and anything else you eat. Almost everything has some protein in it. Just like almost everything has carbs in it.
Carolyn
Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #30
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
oh gosh, if I have to give up the sweetener, I'm really going to suffer. I'm losing the heavy cream for now and if that doesn't work after a week, I'll sadly stop using the sweetener for a week and see if that helps. Other than those two things, there doesn't seem to be anything else I can possibly cut.
I would start with having about 3 oz of meat, chicken, eggs, or fish per meal and about 1/2 cup of veggies. Add butter, sour cream, and heavy cream to your meals. Limit your sweetener to just a little bit per meal. Then if you do not lose anything in a couple of weeks, take cream out and one serving of vegetables. Cut out sweeteners. Add more butter to fill in your meals. If you lose some weight, just keep doing what you are doing. Remember real weight loss is a slow process for most women. Take it slow. If you still do not lose anything after removing some stuff, lower your protein levels and add in more fat in the form of butter, meat fat, and coconut oil. It is the fat in your diet that will make you happy and satisfied. Fat does not make me gain weight.
Carolyn