Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wiltzandrew
More fat?

Hello all!

I started my ketogenic diet on 1/17/2015 (31 days ago) and I have lost approximately 25lbs since then. I currently weigh 375lbs.

This has been my diet every single day since then, without any cheat days:

Breakfast: Quest Protein Bar and a glass of Almond milk
Lunch: Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary Grilled Chicken Breast from Trader Joe's
Dinner: 3 large eggs

This comes out to 35 grams of fat, 8 net carbs, and 112 grams of protein (819 calories total). I meet most of my nutritional needs (including calcium), and I am not hungry or fatigued. My sodium intake is fine, and I have over 2 liters of water per day (exceeding the required 8 glasses). I quit caffeine, dairy, all carbonated beverages (including soda), and I have almost no sugar (less than 4 grams per day). All I drink is water.

To be in ketosis, I need to be under 50 net carbs, so I thought 8 net carbs should do the trick (overkill, even). I also need to have at least as much protein as my body requires to function for my sedentary lifestyle (which is around 100 grams of protein per day given my weight at the absolute minimum, according to various sources). I'm worried about protein being converted into sugar, so I went with the absolute minimum.

A few sources say that for the ketogenic diet, the proportion of fat to all other macronutrients should be 4:1, but right now my diet is 1:15 ratio of fat to other macronutrients.

I've been using the ketone urine strips, and I'm hovering below 1.5 mmol/L, below optimal ketosis (1.5-3 mmol/L).

How am I below optimal ketosis?

Do I need to eat even fewer carbs? Or more fat? How important is the 4:1 ratio?

Am I having too much protein, resulting in some of the protein converting into glucose? Might that being hurting my ketone level?

Eventually I will incorporate exercise into this plan, but not until I lose a little more weight. I've tried to incorporate exercise into diets before, and it almost always results in failure (and almost always due to the exercise).

On a side note, my previous diet was upwards of 5,000 calories per day, mostly carbs, moderate fat and very little protein. I very quickly transitioned into the above diet without consulting with a doctor first. How important is it that I consult with a doctor before changing my diet this drastically? I'm only 25 years old and I'm in relatively good health (despite weighing 1/5th of a ton).

Last edited by wiltzandrew; 02-17-2015 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Addition
wiltzandrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

No artificial sweeteners

I also quit all artificial sweeteners. I have only 2 grams of sugar alcohols per day, and 29 total grams of carbs (18 of which are fiber). Most of my net carbs (6 out of 8) come from sugar.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
Wow, congrats on losing 25 pounds in a month. Others here will be better able to address your grams and percentages, but I think you might want to up your fat a bit. This looks to me like it might be a bit hard to maintain for long, although I am impressed you've managed for 4 weeks.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Wow, congrats on losing 25 pounds in a month. Others here will be better able to address your grams and percentages, but I think you might want to up your fat a bit. This looks to me like it might be a bit hard to maintain for long, although I am impressed you've managed for 4 weeks.
Thank you! Not sure how I'm not losing my mind. What helps a LOT is I have konjac root supplements whenever I get hungry. When I heard about it, I was skeptical (as most of these supplements are woo), but allegedly this stuff expands in the stomach when combined with water, creating the illusion of fullness. It may be a placebo effect, but it works for me. It is essentially a fiber pill, and contains 0 net carbs to my knowledge.

As for fat requirements, I see other people on the forum doing things like eating heavy whipped cream with sugar-free Jell-O to meet their minimum fat requirements, and they brag about being purple with their test strips. If I'm not hungry, I can't imagine how it would benefit my weight loss to eat more of anything. The ketogenic diet may be different, though.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

I've heard that nobody should eat less than 0.68g of protein per lb of body mass, which means I should be eating no less than 255 grams of protein per day. To keep with the 4:1 proportion, I would need to eat over 1,000 grams of fat per day (over a KILOGRAM of fat, over 2 POUNDS of fat). That seems a little unreasonable.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Congrats on your loss and welcome

I'll start with your last post first......protein is calculated on ideal body weight not current weight.

Not knowing anything about you.....male or female, age, activity level, current health conditions.....it's hard to give advice. Off hand though, just based on what info you have given, I would triple your fat grams. I would also put the quest bars away until you are farther into the process. Stick to whole foods.

If you are using ketostixs (measuring from urine) they are unreliable and there would be no range to go by. If you are using blood ketone strips, optimal ketosis is .5 - 3.0 mmol according to Drs. Phinney and Volek.

I don't use a ratio so I can't help you there. If you go by Drs. Phinney and Volek they say your fat grams should be no less than 60% of your total calories.

I agree with Patience that what you are eating would be hard to sustain. I think you are making this too hard on yourself. I know you want to lose the weight quickly, but you will have a better chance at success if you heal your body in the process. This is a wonderful way to eat for health. Enjoy the process and learn how to enjoy your food. You should not have to feel hungry or insane eating this way.

If you don't mind sharing more about yourself I'm sure we could help you create a plan that let's you keep your sanity.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #7
MerryKate
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 219/207.6/175
WOE: HFLC/ADF
Start Date: January 2017
Quote:
f I'm not hungry, I can't imagine how it would benefit my weight loss to eat more of anything. The ketogenic diet may be different, though.
When you take in so few calories, you run the risk of depressing your metabolism. In the long run, you'll stall out. You're also healthier having more fat in your diet. I know it's hard to conceive of fat as healthy, but it is good for you. Food is fuel. You can still cut your calories dramatically and have a steady weight loss over the long term.

To get a good idea of how your diet should break down, google the keto calculator. You can tailor the results to your height, weight and bodyfat, and it will give you optimal intakes for weight loss as well.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
HappyInKetosis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyInKetosis
Stats: 188/142/135 5'2"
WOE: Ketogenic/LCHF with IF
Start Date: Restarted March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Congrats on your loss and welcome

I'll start with your last post first......protein is calculated on ideal body weight not current weight.

Not knowing anything about you.....male or female, age, activity level, current health conditions.....it's hard to give advice. Off hand though, just based on what info you have given, I would triple your fat grams. I would also put the quest bars away until you are farther into the process. Stick to whole foods.

If you are using ketostixs (measuring from urine) they are unreliable and there would be no range to go by. If you are using blood ketone strips, optimal ketosis is .5 - 3.0 mmol according to Drs. Phinney and Volek.

I don't use a ratio so I can't help you there. If you go by Drs. Phinney and Volek they say your fat grams should be no less than 60% of your total calories.

I agree with Patience that what you are eating would be hard to sustain. I think you are making this too hard on yourself. I know you want to lose the weight quickly, but you will have a better chance at success if you heal your body in the process. This is a wonderful way to eat for health. Enjoy the process and learn how to enjoy your food. You should not have to feel hungry or insane eating this way.

If you don't mind sharing more about yourself I'm sure we could help you create a plan that let's you keep your sanity.
Ditto this whole post.

I love Atkins bars but gave them up completely when I started the keto diet. Bars will definitely stall you because they are not 'real' food.

Increase your fat - you'd be surprised how little you will need to improve your ratios and satiety simultaneously. Read through the forum, these folks have an amazing collective wisdom that will aid you. Oh, and I might rethink the balsamic vinegar - you can get your net carbs in much better (non-sugar) ways.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your success so far!
HappyInKetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
You need more calories given your current body weight. 30-35 g/fat a day is the absolute minimum our bodies need a day and you are barely at that. Your fat should be higher. Quick weight loss on a low fat diet could possibly lead to a gall bladder attack. Don't be afraid of fat. You can eat fat and still lose fat.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
MinnieSkinnie
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MinnieSkinnie
Stats: 242/194/164
WOE: Started SBD, now Keto!
Start Date: SBD 1/2012, Keto 3/2014
Congrats on a fast start!!

Low carb, High fat doesn't have to be so calorie restricted! I did low carb and retricted my cals and lost weight fast at first too, but gained. it. all. back.
MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
MinnieSkinnie
Junior LCF Member

was also just reading the Feb thread which might be enlightening to you too

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...d.php?t=869344

Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
I don't understand why you're starving yourself! I realize you've got a lot to lose but everything I understand about the ketogenic lifestyle says caloric restriction isn't necessary and may be detrimental.

Based on what I'm seeing in myself and my husband, as well as everything I hear from others on this board and other sites, if you nourish your body the weight will naturally come off. My husband was only about 40 pounds overweight when he started and he's been consuming over 1600 calories and dropping at a steady 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. We all know it's harder to lose weight when you're closer to your ideal weight, and even harder when you get older. Well, he's over 60.

800 odd calories simply isn't sustainable and you can't be consuming adequate nutrients. Eat more food, period. Have bacon and eggs in the morning instead of that prepackaged bar (you can precook bacon and make an egg and cheese crustless quiche, literally an instant breakfast and portable!) Have salad or steamed veggies with full fat dressings along side your lunch chicken. Make a loaf of LC bread and avocado and have that with your dinner eggs, or change it up, make mushroom gravy (I use a lot of sour cream and butter and thicken mine with cornstarch) and heat up some cooked meat in the gravy and pair that with low carb veggies. Maybe have a keto dessert for a treat.

Why deprive yourself through such severe restriction and limited food choices?
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
You need more calories given your current body weight. 30-35 g/fat a day is the absolute minimum our bodies need a day and you are barely at that. Your fat should be higher. Quick weight loss on a low fat diet could possibly lead to a gall bladder attack. Don't be afraid of fat. You can eat fat and still lose fat.
I will begin to take steps to increase my fat intake. However, it is difficult to find fat sources that don't also include high amounts of protein. By next week I will try to be consuming at least 100 grams of fat per day.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Depressing my metabolism? This is very important insight. I never heard of this. I will definitely be increasing my fat intake. I was losing just as much weight back when I was doing 150 grams of fat, 16 net carbs and 160 grams of protein. I cut it down because I was worried 160 grams of protein was too much.

The keto calculator is what I have been using since the beginning. I punched in all of my numbers, as well as the 112 grams of protein, 8 net carbs and 35 grams of fat, and it says I should be well within keto and losing about 20lbs per month (which has been accurate). It might be possible that I'm in keto, but my test strips are off, or I drink too much water and it dilutes the ketones in my urine. A keto expert friend of mine said "You are losing about 1lb per day. Who cares what color the damned strip is?" He makes a good point.

Last edited by wiltzandrew; 02-18-2015 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltzandrew View Post
I will begin to take steps to increase my fat intake. However, it is difficult to find fat sources that don't also include high amounts of protein. By next week I will try to be consuming at least 100 grams of fat per day.
Great to hear. Frankly I don't think you should worry about the protein too much either. Are you male or female? If you are female it seems to be a good amount, if male you may want to increase protein, actually.

Ideas to add fat: eat chicken thighs or legs with skin instead of chicken breasts, use a fattier salad dressing (check carb counts or make your own), add butter to your meat or other foods. Eat butter plain. Make fat bombs (lots of recipes on this site if you search).
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Ditto this whole post.

I love Atkins bars but gave them up completely when I started the keto diet. Bars will definitely stall you because they are not 'real' food.

Increase your fat - you'd be surprised how little you will need to improve your ratios and satiety simultaneously. Read through the forum, these folks have an amazing collective wisdom that will aid you. Oh, and I might rethink the balsamic vinegar - you can get your net carbs in much better (non-sugar) ways.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your success so far!
If I got rid of my Quest bar, I would have no source of fiber in my diet. I could substitute it with eggs, which would be just as filling and lower in protein.

Trader Joe's has a chili lime chicken breast with 0 net carbs, which tastes great, but it results in terrible breath (for me at least). I enjoy the balsamic vinegar chicken breast very much though. Could cutting my net carbs in half (from 8 to 4) really make that big of a difference?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #17
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Coconut oil, butter, ghee, olive oil, flax oil, avocados, virtually no protein in any of those sources.

If you'd share your gender, height, age and activity level there are plenty of folks on this site who would be happy to help you work out your macros, or you can use the online keto calculator.

Coming from 5,000 calories a day mostly made up of carbs to 800 a day mostly fat is a DRAMATIC change, it's remarkable you've been able to resist cravings but your body is going to start looking for nutrients sooner or later.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #18
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If I got rid of my Quest bar, I would have no source of fiber in my diet. I could substitute it with eggs, which would be just as filling and lower in protein.

Trader Joe's has a chili lime chicken breast with 0 net carbs, which tastes great, but it results in terrible breath (for me at least). I enjoy the balsamic vinegar chicken breast very much though. Could cutting my net carbs in half (from 8 to 4) really make that big of a difference?
Why do you need fiber? Fiber is not necessary for health, digestive or otherwise. In fact, in many people it causes problems.

Google "eades fiber" and read "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft" by Dr. Michael Eades that is the first hit.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Great to hear. Frankly I don't think you should worry about the protein too much either. Are you male or female? If you are female it seems to be a good amount, if male you may want to increase protein, actually.

Ideas to add fat: eat chicken thighs or legs with skin instead of chicken breasts, use a fattier salad dressing (check carb counts or make your own), add butter to your meat or other foods. Eat butter plain. Make fat bombs (lots of recipes on this site if you search).
I'm 6'4", 25 years old, endomorph, male. I sit at a desk for 8.5 hours each day, get a good 8 hours of sleep, with the rest of my time spent laying in bed listening to podcasts. VERY unhealthy I know, but every attempt to incorporate exercise into my plan has resulted in failure, then binge eating, then "I'll get back on my diet tomorrow," with tomorrow being 20lbs and 3 weeks later.

One night I had 260 grams of protein from a single pot roast, and the next day I had no ketones in my urine. I'm assuming this resulted in enough of the protein being converted into glucose to throw me off keto.

I will definitely be adding butter whenever I get a chance. Does anyone know of a way to incorporate more fat with eggs? I have 3 hard-boiled eggs for dinner. Adding a slice of butter to each sounds .. tacky. I may start having 0 carb Jell-O with heavy whipped cream as a late night snack (as suggested in another forum).
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #20
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocat View Post
I don't understand why you're starving yourself! I realize you've got a lot to lose but everything I understand about the ketogenic lifestyle says caloric restriction isn't necessary and may be detrimental.

Based on what I'm seeing in myself and my husband, as well as everything I hear from others on this board and other sites, if you nourish your body the weight will naturally come off. My husband was only about 40 pounds overweight when he started and he's been consuming over 1600 calories and dropping at a steady 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. We all know it's harder to lose weight when you're closer to your ideal weight, and even harder when you get older. Well, he's over 60.

800 odd calories simply isn't sustainable and you can't be consuming adequate nutrients. Eat more food, period. Have bacon and eggs in the morning instead of that prepackaged bar (you can precook bacon and make an egg and cheese crustless quiche, literally an instant breakfast and portable!) Have salad or steamed veggies with full fat dressings along side your lunch chicken. Make a loaf of LC bread and avocado and have that with your dinner eggs, or change it up, make mushroom gravy (I use a lot of sour cream and butter and thicken mine with cornstarch) and heat up some cooked meat in the gravy and pair that with low carb veggies. Maybe have a keto dessert for a treat.

Why deprive yourself through such severe restriction and limited food choices?
You are absolutely right. I guess I'm just a little impatient. I was down to 340 on a traditional low calorie diet, but I hit a plateau and ended up gaining 60lbs. Then I lost 25lbs, gained back 45lbs and my scale could no longer read my weight. Now I'm down to 375, and I just want to reach my goal as fast as possible and make up for all of the time wasted.

I will be increasing my calorie intake to at least 1600, making sure to incorporate more fat. It is probably more psychological than anything, but I'm just not hungry when I get home. As a rule, should I eat even when I'm not hungry?

Those are such great meal suggestions by the way. I will be trying some of them this week.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Why do you need fiber? Fiber is not necessary for health, digestive or otherwise. In fact, in many people it causes problems.

Google "eades fiber" and read "A cautionary tale of mucus fore and aft" by Dr. Michael Eades that is the first hit.
I thought fiber was a good thing . Shocking. I will be switching to a whole food breakfast instead of the fiber bar. I thought it would help with bowel movements (sorry if TMI). I tend to go about once a week, if not less (probably due to how little I'm eating).
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Coconut oil, butter, ghee, olive oil, flax oil, avocados, virtually no protein in any of those sources.

If you'd share your gender, height, age and activity level there are plenty of folks on this site who would be happy to help you work out your macros, or you can use the online keto calculator.

Coming from 5,000 calories a day mostly made up of carbs to 800 a day mostly fat is a DRAMATIC change, it's remarkable you've been able to resist cravings but your body is going to start looking for nutrients sooner or later.
I will definitely be incorporating those ingredients into my diet.

I'm 6'4", 25 years old, endomorph, male. I sit at a desk for 8.5 hours each day, get a good 8 hours of sleep, with the rest of my time spent laying in bed listening to podcasts. I've been using the online keto calculator since the beginning, and it says my diet is fine, but would be difficult to maintain.

I will definitely be increasing my calories to at least 1600. You all have been so helpful. I'll be sure to report back on the results!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #23
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm 6'4", 25 years old, endomorph, male. I sit at a desk for 8.5 hours each day, get a good 8 hours of sleep, with the rest of my time spent laying in bed listening to podcasts. VERY unhealthy I know, but every attempt to incorporate exercise into my plan has resulted in failure, then binge eating, then "I'll get back on my diet tomorrow," with tomorrow being 20lbs and 3 weeks later.

One night I had 260 grams of protein from a single pot roast, and the next day I had no ketones in my urine. I'm assuming this resulted in enough of the protein being converted into glucose to throw me off keto.

I will definitely be adding butter whenever I get a chance. Does anyone know of a way to incorporate more fat with eggs? I have 3 hard-boiled eggs for dinner. Adding a slice of butter to each sounds .. tacky. I may start having 0 carb Jell-O with heavy whipped cream as a late night snack (as suggested in another forum).
Oh my...you definitely need more protein. I don't know how you got the Ankerl calculator to spit out 112 g protein a day, but being a tall, large male I would encourage you to get at least 125-150 g/day minimum. My husband is not as tall as you and I tell him the same. He has lost 100 lbs. so far (started at 360) on LCHF.

Butter is not tacky, butter is wonderful! Use it at will. I love hot hard-boiled eggs with butter. Cold, maybe not so much.

Please keep in mind you need to eat in a way that is sustainable and can be maintained for the rest of your life. You did not gain all the weight in one day and you will not lose it all in one day. It is not a race, and since you are generally healthy, getting to the finish line quicker does not have any great benefit. Establishing habits that will help you eat in a way that is healthy and sustainable for life, such as LCHF is important, however.

ETA: And don't worry about exercise right now. Start with the eating, that is the most important. Phinney and Volek have shown that in obese individuals exercise can actually slow metabolism. So don't sweat it, literally.

Oh, and don't worry about ketones in the urine. It is useless to measure them. If they are in your urine it means they are waste products. It doesn't tell you if you are in ketosis. In fact, keto-adapted people may not show a positive on the urine sticks at all. Get a blood meter if you are really interested in knowing if you are in ketosis. Otherwise, I agree with your friend, if you are low carb and losing weight, who cares what the meter says?

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-18-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 02-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
MinnieSkinnie
Junior LCF Member

But i agree - Low carb, High fat doesn't have to be so calorie restricted! I did low carb and retricted my cals and lost weight fast at first too, but gained. it. all. back.

Have you googled to find a keto calculator?? (i'm not able to post a link to one.)
I know they are not perfect, in fact, since I'm post-meno, I felt like my calories had to be a bit lower than what most suggest, but it's a good guide to start with. Find what works for you, and don't be in too big of a hurry! make changes that you can maintain for a lifetime, you'll be glad you did.

Getting fats in isn't that hard. I bring breakfast and lunch to work and each day i eat 2 eggs or some tuna with plenty of mayo for breakfast (i add cheese and herbs or celery etc depending on how i feel that day)

lunch is usually 4 ounces of leftover chicken, beef, steak etc from dinner with cheese, sour cream, a blob of salsa and guac. i could eat this all 3 meals to be honest lol

Dinner is meat and a veg with butter or salad with ranch (watch the labels-not all are created equal!) Or i will find a yummy keto recipe to make on pinterest.

my favorite fatty snack is a half-handful of pecans with cinnamon butter. you heard me, i dip pecans in butter. lol

Good luck on your journey - i can say a permanent change to this way of eating will bring you great health benefits along with your weight loss
Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Hmm I guess my post didn't speak to you like the others?

I agree with all of the above advice especially upping your protein and fats. I wish I could remember who said " you don't lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight" ( hopefully someone knows who to properly credit?). I think it really speaks to this way of eating. You are young, you body should respond well to this lifestyle and it will reward you tenfold. Please don't cheat your body out of proper nutrients.

You are off to a great start with a wonderful attitude. Feed your body well. I wish you much success.

p.s. What about mayo with your HB eggs and a little Frank's Buffalo sauce? Or mash them up with some butter and cheese and nuke? Egg salad? Chopped with mayo, tomatoes and bacon? So many ways to eat an egg!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #26
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

I get you, WiltzA, I came to ketogenic eating with a history of starvation dieting in my youth, a lot of my adulthood spent eating a bodybuilders diet of 40 pro/30 carbs/30 fats, occasional water fasts and most recently an extremely low fat/low calorie/limited carb diet due to sky high cholesterol and a frustrating inability to lose weight due to inactivity from injuries and middle age hormonal imbalances. When I first started LC/HF it was very difficult for me to let go of calorie counting and caloric restriction and the thought that I'm doing something wrong if I'm not constantly feeling deprived.

At your age, weight, height I assure you, you most certainly can eat as much as my 5'10", 205 lb., 61 year old husband! He does no more activity than required by his job. He WILL NOT exercise (not to say he doesn't have activities he enjoys, but go to the gym? Pffffft), considers "exercise" the only dirty word in his vocabulary, in fact. He's also on two different BP medications and was heading into prediabetes, plus he snores and has sleep apnea. I needed to get his weight down but until I'd heard of the ketogenic lifestyle I had no idea HOW! And honestly, he really DIDN'T overeat, he's got metabolic syndrome (like pretty much everybody who is overweight ...)

He's not a lunch person, so we're incorporating intermittent fasting with keto. He basically eats once every 12 hours and is happy having a substantial breakfast and dinner with just coffee and cream at his break in the middle of the day. I do all the cooking and meal planning. I don't focus on his calories but have run the numbers just to make sure his macros are good. His average meal is between 700 and 900 calories, generally 75% of his calories are from fat, 22% from protein and 3% in carbs.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #27
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Hmm I guess my post didn't speak to you like the others?

I agree with all of the above advice especially upping your protein and fats. I wish I could remember who said " you don't lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight" ( hopefully someone knows who to properly credit?). I think it really speaks to this way of eating. You are young, you body should respond well to this lifestyle and it will reward you tenfold. Please don't cheat your body out of proper nutrients.

You are off to a great start with a wonderful attitude. Feed your body well. I wish you much success.

p.s. What about mayo with your HB eggs and a little Frank's Buffalo sauce? Or mash them up with some butter and cheese and nuke? Egg salad? Chopped with mayo, tomatoes and bacon? So many ways to eat an egg!
So sorry I didn't reply to your post! I thought I made sure to go through all of them.

I will take the ketone sticks with a grain of salt. Maybe later on I'll buy the blood test, and I'll be substituting a whole foot for the fiber bar (now that I know I don't need fiber). Also, I never even considered adding mayo to the eggs. Or cheese. Wonderful idea!

You all have been so helpful, sorry again for not replying to the initial post!

Last edited by wiltzandrew; 02-18-2015 at 02:22 PM..
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #28
kay9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/180/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
slurps. Fat is your friend....
Old 02-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #29
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSkinnie View Post

But i agree - Low carb, High fat doesn't have to be so calorie restricted! I did low carb and retricted my cals and lost weight fast at first too, but gained. it. all. back.

Have you googled to find a keto calculator?? (i'm not able to post a link to one.)
I know they are not perfect, in fact, since I'm post-meno, I felt like my calories had to be a bit lower than what most suggest, but it's a good guide to start with. Find what works for you, and don't be in too big of a hurry! make changes that you can maintain for a lifetime, you'll be glad you did.

Getting fats in isn't that hard. I bring breakfast and lunch to work and each day i eat 2 eggs or some tuna with plenty of mayo for breakfast (i add cheese and herbs or celery etc depending on how i feel that day)

lunch is usually 4 ounces of leftover chicken, beef, steak etc from dinner with cheese, sour cream, a blob of salsa and guac. i could eat this all 3 meals to be honest lol

Dinner is meat and a veg with butter or salad with ranch (watch the labels-not all are created equal!) Or i will find a yummy keto recipe to make on pinterest.

my favorite fatty snack is a half-handful of pecans with cinnamon butter. you heard me, i dip pecans in butter. lol

Good luck on your journey - i can say a permanent change to this way of eating will bring you great health benefits along with your weight loss
Are veggies really worth the carbs?

I used to love a bag of California medley (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and maybe some other junk) but the portion I enjoyed had 8 net carbs. Is that worth the 8 net carbs? Would going from 8 to 16 throw me out of keto?

I would love the handful of pecans, but they seem to be so high in net carbs (and I've never been able to have a handful of anything). I tend to stay away from things that would allow me to eat more than I should.

I was trying to find a good salad dressing, but everyone I found had a few grams of sugar per serving, or at least a few net carbs. Maybe I'm worrying too much about the net carbs.

The keto calculator said that I'm fine with all of my numbers, except that I should be having more fat. My protein is allegedly fine according to the macro, but I will be increasing it as suggested by others in this thread.

I never considered tuna either. I will be incorporating that as well.

I'm tempted to increase my net carbs to 20 to allow for more veggies, but I'm not sure if that change would throw me out of keto.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #30
wiltzandrew
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I get you, WiltzA, I came to ketogenic eating with a history of starvation dieting in my youth, a lot of my adulthood spent eating a bodybuilders diet of 40 pro/30 carbs/30 fats, occasional water fasts and most recently an extremely low fat/low calorie/limited carb diet due to sky high cholesterol and a frustrating inability to lose weight due to inactivity from injuries and middle age hormonal imbalances. When I first started LC/HF it was very difficult for me to let go of calorie counting and caloric restriction and the thought that I'm doing something wrong if I'm not constantly feeling deprived.

At your age, weight, height I assure you, you most certainly can eat as much as my 5'10", 205 lb., 61 year old husband! He does no more activity than required by his job. He WILL NOT exercise (not to say he doesn't have activities he enjoys, but go to the gym? Pffffft), considers "exercise" the only dirty word in his vocabulary, in fact. He's also on two different BP medications and was heading into prediabetes, plus he snores and has sleep apnea. I needed to get his weight down but until I'd heard of the ketogenic lifestyle I had no idea HOW! And honestly, he really DIDN'T overeat, he's got metabolic syndrome (like pretty much everybody who is overweight ...)

He's not a lunch person, so we're incorporating intermittent fasting with keto. He basically eats once every 12 hours and is happy having a substantial breakfast and dinner with just coffee and cream at his break in the middle of the day. I do all the cooking and meal planning. I don't focus on his calories but have run the numbers just to make sure his macros are good. His average meal is between 700 and 900 calories, generally 75% of his calories are from fat, 22% from protein and 3% in carbs.
I'm glad to see it is working for your husband without exercise. Very encouraging. I have never heard of metabolic syndrome either. I will talk with my doctor about this next time I see him.

I used to skip breakfast, have a light lunch, and have an enormous, gigantic dinner late at night. Now it's a small breakfast, heavy lunch, light dinner. I will start to ignore calories a little, as unanimously suggested by everyone. My friend told me that if I'm very low net carb, it is difficult to not lose weight no matter what you eat (unless protein is very, very excessive).