Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It's the NOVEMBER keto chat thread! Everyone welcome!

Good November morning! Trying to be positive... I actually don't like November but will make the best of it! It is sunny and cold here. I like the sunny part!

I am here to gripe. I have been fighting this regaining trend I have been experiencing and seem to be failing. I am now 6 lbs. above my normal weight. What to do - what to do....?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Seoul Searching
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seoul Searching
Stats: lbs: [245.5] NK:204.4/141.4/132 pants:24/14/??
WOE: NK
Start Date: NK began 6/16/14
Jumping into November...

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtdJmAY/weight.png
Seoul Searching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Happy November!

I'm looking forward to a good month.

I had a busy weekend. Got my groceries for the week yesterday. today I did laundry & got a bunch of chicken breasts cooked for lunches.

My foot still bothers me a lot. I limp, my foot swells, and each step hurts. It is uncomfortable in bed. And a neighbor told me that, after her foot surgery, she had to wear two different size shoes for two years!

But, other than wanting my foot to be better, I am OK.

My wonderful Canadian Snowbird friend, B, will arrive in town tomorrow. I can't wait! We have good times together.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Good November morning! Trying to be positive... I actually don't like November but will make the best of it! It is sunny and cold here. I like the sunny part!

I am here to gripe. I have been fighting this regaining trend I have been experiencing and seem to be failing. I am now 6 lbs. above my normal weight. What to do - what to do....?
How fast did the weight come on? It is surely just water weight? I wonder what might be causing it? Inflammation? Food sensitivities?

I hate when you are doing everything right & your body does not act as it seems it should...

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
allisaMI
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: allisaMI
Stats: 223/212/138
WOE: Bettermd total meal replacement
Start Date: October 2014
Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this group. The October thread was so helpful. My situation is that I am 57, 5'2 current weight is 212 down from starting weight of 223, just 3 weeks ago. I finally have decided I am going to get well so to speak after a number of bad bad years where I didn't take care of myself. So it's time. I started a total meal replacement diet through our local hospital.This diet is essentially 6 packs of food you add water to per day along with 2-4 servings low carb vegetables. Blood work showed 325 cholesterol, 42% BMI, high blood pressure controlled for years (but now 20 pts. lower than it has been in years) , pre diabetes ( fasting 114) but normal A1C have elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver), just discovered I have severe sleep apnea (pulse oxygen goes down to 60%).
This diet is 800 cal p/d, 70 carbs per day and each of the 6 packets (or protein bars)allowed daily has between 12 and 15 grams of protein. Sorry this sounds like a math problem!

Anyway after doing a lot of research the last few weeks (Dr. Phinney, Voleck, mostly) I realize there is another way other than this packaged stuff to take the weight off fast. These supplements are all soy protein (which I heard was unhealthy) they also have aspartame in many of them.

What I have been doing is trying to make this diet better by adding servings of protein (2 eggs in am) and 1/2 can of tuna at dinner then having the rest of the day in the supplements.

I took time today to calculate what I thought would be a good menu for a day of LC/HF. I based it on 1080 calories. 24 carbs, 76g protein, 78 g fat. It seemed like so much to eat. I'll post it but this is enough for now. I wish I had seen the October thread before trying this calculation! This is tricky.

Out of pocket this was quite expensive. Maybe I can still use the shakes. They are 100 cal, 15 protein and 7 carbs each.

My Questions:

How much weight can I expect to lose on LC/HF per week? I realize it is a lifestyle change and now a "diet" per say, but I still would like to hurry it up.

Is soy protein really bad?

Are there risks of kidney stones ?

I am taking a blood pressure med called Avalide. It has a small amount of a diuretic in it. My potassium was normal, but should I have it tested more often often as I am amazed at the diuretic effect of this diet.

Should I take fish oil? Calcium?

Thank you so so much for any comments or suggestions. I'm so glad to be a member of this group.

I also just started 20 min day of cybex arc trainer, and I lift weights every other day.

Thanks again,
Allison
allisaMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
How much weight can I expect to lose on LC/HF per week? I realize it is a lifestyle change and now a "diet" per say, but I still would like to hurry it up. I don't know--nobody does, and you might want to consider a few things:
1) The key is to get your HEALTH under control, the weight will follow.
2) Fast weight loss = fast regain. Let your body set the pace, don't push it. There WILL be stalls and plateaus, and if you are going to give up and go home when that happens, you are going to get very disappointed. Women's bodies, especially, have so many hormonal fluctuations--you are just going to have to be patient and stay the course if you want this to work.

Is soy protein really bad? Yes, yes, and yes. Google Kaayla T. Daniel and read for yourself what she has to say. Soy acts like estrogen in your body. If you are overweight and have insulin resistance, you already have too much estrogen. Soy blocks the absorption of vitamins and minerals, causes thyroid problems, and has been implicated in cancers and Alzheimer's disease. Remember--health first, weight loss will follow. Those packets do not support health. My SIL is using them--a pediatrician and it just shocks me she doesn't get why this is a bad idea.

Are there risks of kidney stones ? No, if you don't already have kidney stone problems. There's even research suggesting that LC may be better than kidney dialysis for diabetics with kidney disease. Just make sure to keep your electrolytes in balance.

I am taking a blood pressure med called Avalide. It has a small amount of a diuretic in it. My potassium was normal, but should I have it tested more often often as I am amazed at the diuretic effect of this diet. Talk to your doctor about whether or not it's OK to supplement potassium AND watch your blood pressure carefully as you may (with your doctor's consent) need to cut down on your BP meds fairly quickly as you become adapted to LCHF.

Should I take fish oil? Calcium? Both are controversial right now. I firmly believe in quality fish oil to improve your HDL levels (some people think that ALL fish oil supplements are rancid and bad for you--there's a debate on this forum), and that taking calcium is NOT advised because without adequate levels of Vitamins D3 and K2 the calcium can cause calcium deposits in your blood vessels instead of going to your bones. I take supplemental D3 and K2, and try to get adequate dietary calcium from leafy green veggies and fish with little bones (canned salmon, sardines, anchovies, etc.). Pastured dairy is another good source of calcium if you tolerate dairy.

I also just started 20 min day of cybex arc trainer, and I lift weights every other day.
During the period of true ketoadaptation, you may need to back off exercise temporarily, and if you do continue, make sure to keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance--drink salty broth, eat avocados for potassium and fat.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
allisaMI
Junior LCF Member

D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
How much weight can I expect to lose on LC/HF per week? I realize it is a lifestyle change and now a "diet" per say, but I still would like to hurry it up. I don't know--nobody does, and you might want to consider a few things:
2) Fast weight loss = fast regain. Let your body set the pace, don't push it. There WILL be stalls and plateaus, and if you are going to give up and go home when that happens, you are going to get very disappointed. Women's bodies, especially, have so many hormonal fluctuations--you are just going to have to be patient and stay the course if you want this to work.

Is soy protein really bad? Yes, yes, and yes. Google Kaayla T. Daniel and read for yourself what she has to say. Soy acts like estrogen in your body. If you are overweight and have insulin resistance, you already have too much estrogen. Soy blocks the absorption of vitamins and minerals, causes thyroid problems, and has been implicated in cancers and Alzheimer's disease. Remember--health first, weight loss will follow. Those packets do not support health. My SIL is using them--a pediatrician and it just shocks me she doesn't get why this is a bad idea.

Are there risks of kidney stones ? No, if you don't already have kidney stone problems. There's even research suggesting that LC may be better than kidney dialysis for diabetics with kidney disease. Just make sure to keep your electrolytes in balance.

I am taking a blood pressure med called Avalide. It has a small amount of a diuretic in it. My potassium was normal, but should I have it tested more often often as I am amazed at the diuretic effect of this diet. Talk to your doctor about whether or not it's OK to supplement potassium AND watch your blood pressure carefully as you may (with your doctor's consent) need to cut down on your BP meds fairly quickly as you become adapted to LCHF.

Should I take fish oil? Calcium? Both are controversial right now. I firmly believe in quality fish oil to improve your HDL levels (some people think that ALL fish oil supplements are rancid and bad for you--there's a debate on this forum), and that taking calcium is NOT advised because without adequate levels of Vitamins D3 and K2 the calcium can cause calcium deposits in your blood vessels instead of going to your bones. I take supplemental D3 and K2, and try to get adequate dietary calcium from leafy green veggies and fish with little bones (canned salmon, sardines, anchovies, etc.). Pastured dairy is another good source of calcium if you tolerate dairy.

During the period of true ketoadaptation, you may need to back off exercise temporarily, and if you do continue, make sure to keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance--drink salty broth, eat avocados for potassium and fat.
Thank you very much! That was very helpful advice. I am upset about the quality of these packets. It really isn't acceptable considering how much this program costs.

I also found that I have no measurable D3 so I am taking the RX of 50,000 units.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
allisaMI
Junior LCF Member

Soy and Endometrial Hyperplasia

Well this is even more upsetting. The weight loss doctor ordered an ultrasound of my uterus due to slight spotting. The result was a very thick endometrium. I am having a d and c in a couple of weeks to r/o cancer.

I'm surprised she did not think all this soy might be a bad idea. I asked and she said well for a few months it won't hurt. Hmm.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/166.6/145
WOE: VLC/Keto
Start Date: Restart 11/2/2017
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum. I've lived a few LC incarnations in the past, but through a TON of reading lately I believe keto may be my new life. The more and more I read, it just makes absolute sense. It also opened my eyes to what likely made me unable to stick to a LC plan long term in the past. I was avoiding fat. Now, I'm almost never hungry, drench things in grass-fed butter and have lost 6 lbs. I also love the idea of not having to worry about making a lot of time for food during the day at work...I can just eat if I get hungry, instead of knowing I'll be hungry steadily.

I'm a week into a good supplement regiment, so will likely ease into working out later this week or next. I definitely need to do some reshaping while losing weight. Ultimately, though, I'm in this for the health benefits.

Next on my list is to find some keto recipe staples.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Allisa, NO vitamin D??? Omg!

Be sure you take an oil based K2 supplement with your vitamin D. The K2 is really important. Chris Kresser had a very good article on it a few weeks back. Google it. Your conventional doctor may not suggest it or may confuse K2 with K1 which is very different. You can also get k2 from fermented foods like kraut and kimchee, raw cheeses. But you should take sups ends to be sure you are getting enough with that much vitamin D. Did the doctor prescribe that high dose?

Do you have PCOS or irregular periods??? How is your thyroid?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #11
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisaMI View Post
Thank you very much! That was very helpful advice. I am upset about the quality of these packets. It really isn't acceptable considering how much this program costs.

I also found that I have no measurable D3 so I am taking the RX of 50,000 units.

Thanks again!
My suggestion is a second opinion. That's considered a toxic level for D3, which can cause some serious health issues. My other big question would be a doctor who has you on a dietary plan and says "for a few months it won't hurt." Yikes!

I'm so sorry you have to have a D&C, I hope all goes well.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:

Allisa, I couldn't possibly give you better answers than Jan has but would like to add that eating the best quality REAL food in this woe will be the fastest way to increasing overall health.

Wishing you all the best!

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #13
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Grneyedldy...still waiting for that steak. This week for sure!
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Good morning NKers

Cathy I'm sorry you are gaining weight for no apparent reason. Could you have an infection maybe? Do you feel like you are retaining fluid? Are there any new foods you added? I wish I had answers for you.

Alissa and Rosebud

Alissa, I agree with everything Janknitz posted She's one smart cookie. A few years ago my d3 level was almost non existent. And it wasn't from lack of sun exposure as I spent a lot of time outside smoking Absorbtion is the problem and eating keto and getting healthy has made a huge difference. I second taking K2 also get some good magnesium.

Rosebud, yes healthy fats are your friend and soooo yummy to boot. Isn't it nice not being a slave to hunger?

Deb glad you are back home and doing well. I hope your foot healing continues. Have fun with your Snowbird.

Kathee I hope you get your steak this week. I'm going to have to buy one too.....you have me jonesing for one now.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Boy its cold down here in the South! November has sure made its presence known. I did a lot of cooking this weekend- made low carb beef stew and LC chili. The freezer is full of some good options for those cold nights when I don't feel like cooking fresh.
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #16
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 235 / 212 / 150
Start Date: 9/1/2015
Hi all!

I actually love November. Down here in So Florida, it's beautiful. Mid-70's and low humidity. I'm "assigned" Thanksgiving dinner, which is usually about 20 people. That's actually fine by me, because then I get to "coast" through New Years. I look forward to it every year, and when it's over, I swear I'll never do it again!

Hi Allisa ... we're very close in stats. Similar starting weights and ages (I'm 59). I just wrapped up my first week on NK and lost 10 pounds! That's lots more than I lost on Atkins or even HCG.

Since this is different than the other woe I've tried, I'm tracking my food. I don't know if I'll do it forever, but I think it's really helpful to me now. Otherwise, I think I'd be eating too much protein.

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Rosebud, just loved that comment about previous LC incarnations. In my case this is has really been the case. I am like Dr. Jeckle and Me. Hyde. My sleep apnia gets a lot better when I lose weight and or in ketosis. Some people report just being in ketosis may help sleep apnia even without weight loss. But staying on the plan well that's the problem but at lest today I am in the pink.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #18
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
AllisaMI, my only suggestion would be to drop the RX of vitamin D and opt for an over the counter brand. I buy my vitamin K2 online. I use the Jarrow brand.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with Rosebud. 50k of Vitamin D is right at the toxic line. I hope your doctor is monitoring closely, and a doctor prescribing levels like that SHOULD have included vitamin K2 and also checked to make sure you were getting adequate dietary levels of A and E. The fat soluble vitamins are really more like hormones in our body and they need to be balanced, plus you need adequate levels of dietary fat to use them.

Most allopathic medical doctors receive a week or less of nutrition training that still emphasizes fat is bad and grains are good. Traditional dietitian training is longer, but still deep into fat is bad, grains are good mentality. So it's important to take nutritional advice from traditional allopathic medicine "with a grain of salt"-- pun intended. In other words, fact check and be careful!

I met my new doctor this past week. I chose her because she has an integrative health background, and I think she's a keeper. I told her that the endo told me diet has nothing to do with thyroid function, and her immediate reaction was an indignant "yes, it does!" Yay!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
allisaMI
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Allisa, NO vitamin D??? Omg!

Be sure you take an oil based K2 supplement with your vitamin D. The K2 is really important. Chris Kresser had a very good article on it a few weeks back. Google it. Your conventional doctor may not suggest it or may confuse K2 with K1 which is very different. You can also get k2 from fermented foods like kraut and kimchee, raw cheeses. But you should take sups ends to be sure you are getting enough with that much vitamin D. Did the doctor prescribe that high dose?

Do you have PCOS or irregular periods??? How is your thyroid?
Thank you. I will speak to my doctor. I did google Kaayla Daniels and watched a lecture she gave regarding soy. I'm disappointed that they would use soy and TVP in these packets. I can't continue taking those now. It is very telling that it is frowned upon in Israel.

Regarding the D50,000, it is an RX that is taken once a week and then it will be checked in 3 months. I did google this when I started it and it doesn't seem to have much negative said about it.

I'll also research the K2. Thanks very much!

My thyroid is normal Jan. She did a slightly more in depth thyroid test. I have not had a period for 3 years, but now am spotting and will have a d&c to rule out cancer. That's one reason I am so upset she would have me eating nothing but the soy based protein packets and bars. also I don't believe I have polycistic issues?

I'd like to find doctor who specializes in alternative medicine and tests for other basics like vitamin A etc. Who would I look for? Years ago I saw a chiropractor in Texas who prescribed vitamins and did muscle testing. I didn't quite know what to make of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud5t View Post
My suggestion is a second opinion. That's considered a toxic level for D3, which can cause some serious health issues. My other big question would be a doctor who has you on a dietary plan and says "for a few months it won't hurt." Yikes!

I'm so sorry you have to have a D&C, I hope all goes well.
Thank you Rosebud! , actually it was a member of her team who said it, but that does seem to be the concences. It is a 6 month plan.

Well I'm calling her and I'm going to start this plan today. I really do love the exercise I'm doing so just that will be a huge change.

Does this diet include an induction phase? Or do I just start right in with the macro percentages ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post

Allisa, I couldn't possibly give you better answers than Jan has but would like to add that eating the best quality REAL food in this woe will be the fastest way to increasing overall health.

Wishing you all the best!

Kathee
Thank you Kathee . I'm very happy to have found a group here of such smart experienced folks. If I'm finally going to take care of myself I'm darn well going to do it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
Hi all!

I actually love November. Down here in So Florida, it's beautiful. Mid-70's and low humidity. I'm "assigned" Thanksgiving dinner, which is usually about 20 people. That's actually fine by me, because then I get to "coast" through New Years. I look forward to it every year, and when it's over, I swear I'll never do it again!

Hi Allisa ... we're very close in stats. Similar starting weights and ages (I'm 59). I just wrapped up my first week on NK and lost 10 pounds! That's lots more than I lost on Atkins or even HCG.

Since this is different than the other woe I've tried, I'm tracking my food. I don't know if I'll do it forever, but I think it's really helpful to me now. Otherwise, I think I'd be eating too much protein.

Fran
Hi Fran. Yes, I can see how easy it would be to eat too much protein. Remember the giddy headed early days of Atkins in the 70's? Lol even skinny people were eating bacon and eggs, steaks and downing alcohol like crazy. I think some hard liquor was allowed.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #21
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I just want to clear something up......

Vitamin D at the levels Alissa is taking is not toxic under her circumstances. It is very common to be prescribed large amounts when suffering from such a deficiency. I too was prescribed 30,0000 u /3 x a week for one month when my D was at 6. After all that, my D barely measured in the 20's. Over 100 is toxic level. Also as Alissa mentioned she is being monitored.

Absorbtion is the issue.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
Start Date: Jan 2014
Yup. I was going to say something similar but grneyedldy beat me to it. That high dosage is appropriate when you have extremely low levels.
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
nspeedracer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/139.8/115 5'3''
Building up your D takes a while so the doses are high.

Goal here for the day is eat clean, no rubbish low Carb chocolates tonight
Bout to make some deviled eggs...
hope I can make it to 120 pounds this month
I'm aiming for some excercise most days, cardio Zumba speeds the fat loss for sure.
Hope everyone is doing well
Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #24
zogo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zogo
Stats: 193/186/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/20/11
Hi there, I hope it's ok if I join your group for November.
I've been low carb for over 3 years and struggling with stalls that last for months on end. Every day is a new day! I'm not giving up, this is for life.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
AshleyDillo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyDillo
Stats: 361/161/162.4/150 (highest/lowest/current/goal)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: RnY 7/7/2009 (@320 lbs) LCHF 7/12/2014 (@220 lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisaMI View Post
Regarding the D50,000, it is an RX that is taken once a week and then it will be checked in 3 months. I did google this when I started it and it doesn't seem to have much negative said about it.
I take 10,000IU daily of dry D3 OTC vitamins. I've had gastric bypass surgery and I don't absorb the fat soluable vitamins as well, so I have to supplement. That works out to 70,000 a week for me and my levels are finally not showing low after years of tweaking.
AshleyDillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'd like to find doctor who specializes in alternative medicine and tests for other basics like vitamin A etc. Who would I look for? Years ago I saw a chiropractor in Texas who prescribed vitamins and did muscle testing. I didn't quite know what to make of that?
I found an MD with training in integrative medicine at Kaiser. Just saw her for the first time last week, and so far, I'm impressed, although I recognize she's still going to have to work within the rigid Kaiser framework. I can't afford to pay privately for alternative care because we pay a fortune to Kaiser as it is. I do get some lab tests Kaiser won't run done privately, though.

I think a doctor who combines either functional medicine or integrative medicine with an MD or DO is the best of both worlds. That way if you need a conventional medical approach, RX medications or tests, you can get them. Plus, they can bill insurance! Look around and ask friends for recommendations.

My SIL is doing the Slim Fast diet. I'm really appalled, she is a pediatrician and thinks it's great stuff. She also gives her kids chocolate soy milk every day at bedtime because they don't eat enough (would you eat your spinach if you knew you would get a chocolate drink instead?). Both have autism spectrum issues, so it's particularly bad. She has her son on major psychotropic drugs with big side effects but won't try dietary changes because they are "too hard". I don't say a word. I do understand how very difficult it is with a kid with sensory issues, but the side effects he has from the drugs just break my heart. I'm sure the soy drinks aren't helping.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #27
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Great points about the vitamin D absorption! I didn't realize it takes a while for it to build up, too. Always learning!

As for doctors, if you google low carb doctor list, it will take you to a page that allows for a search. Not sure where you are in MI Alissa, but it appears there might be several in the state. Ps, I live in WA now, but just moved last year from the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area.

Natalie, I always forget about deviled eggs... YUM!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #28
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Vitamin D is sort of strange some people need a lot more than others. I read
one fellow that needs about 10,000 iu a day every day just to get his level about
mid range. I do fine with about 2000iu a day. After I started taking it about 4
years ago my myopia improved and had to have my eyeglass perscription changed
three times each time for a weaker perscription. Now at 64 years old I almost have
20/20 vision.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #29
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Hi all!

I'm new here and thought I'd jump right in and join you crazy butter eaters.

Hubby cooks the bacon but he want home for dinner tonight, so I decided to cook it myself. Bad idea.

It. Was. Black.

I think it would be appropriate to take a moment of silence in memory of some potentially fabulous pork.
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #30
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 235 / 212 / 150
Start Date: 9/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay View Post

Hubby cooks the bacon but he want home for dinner tonight, so I decided to cook it myself. Bad idea.

It. Was. Black.

I think it would be appropriate to take a moment of silence in memory of some potentially fabulous pork.

Fwiw I cook bacon in the oven. Line a bakers sheet with foil. Lay bacon on sheet. Place in cold oven. Turn oven on highest temp. Mine is 500, but any highest temp will do. Set timer. For very thick bacon, it's about 18 minutes. A lot depends on thickness of bacon and how you like it.

That's it. No turning or watching.

I'm sure most of you know this ... But it's really easy to use your cell phone as a timer.for my android, all I have to do is click the microphone in the Google bar and say "set timer 18 minutes". Since I work from home, I always have my phone in my pocket. So this works really well for me.
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote