Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Gallery: TypeONegative
Stats: Highest weight 370/Summer2014=317/217/199
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart 3-24-15 @ 299.2
Satisfied with dietary fat alone

I know I need to eat protein to avoid muscle breaking down but I feel like I could live on fat. Like for example I just had 2 sugar free jellos with around 2 oz. of cream cheese and earlier my version of iced coffee (put instant coffee in bottle of water, add heavy cream and liquid Splenda & shake up, put in freezer for a bit).
I'm totally satisfied with coffee with cream, diet soda with cream & jello with cream cheese. I know that would not be a healthy diet but I feel satisfied.
I force some protein down each day and I'm losing my taste for veggies but I try to have a lil. Anyone else like this?
Thinking about getting some whey protein isolate next month and making at least one protein shake a day.
I'm in a relationship with low carb and we are NOT breaking up this time!
Member of the 30 weeks til 2016 challenge!
8 months on the wagon completed 11-24-15
TypeONegative is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

I got 2 nice sized turkey legs simmering in a pot so I will be having the meat and broth from them today. Seems like my tastes are really changing as I near my one month on the wagon!
Old 04-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jessluvzbacon
Stats: 252/168/150
WOE: Mod carb 60-100g
Start Date: June 1, 2014
I basically only eat one serving of veggies a day at supper anymore to keep my husband from getting worried. Otherwise it's a lot of fat and some protein. I get cranky when I'm stuck with lean meats and have to get some fat on it.
jessluvzbacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessluvzbacon View Post
I basically only eat one serving of veggies a day at supper anymore to keep my husband from getting worried. Otherwise it's a lot of fat and some protein. I get cranky when I'm stuck with lean meats and have to get some fat on it.
What you're doing is obviously working from the look of your stats!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
As long as you are getting about 40-50 grams of protein per day, I don't see a problem. That's not a lot of protein. When I get into a good groove with LC, I tend to get satisfied more easily with a lot of fat too. It's great! I just wish I could get there now.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
BlueSojourn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/166/150 - Age 63 - 5'5"
WOE: IF & JUDDD
I am leaning toward not so much protein, and am totally satisfied with fats. Give me a bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and I'm a happy camper till lunch.

I do love lettuce and spinach, so will have about 2 cups each day at lunch. Other than that, I might have a serving of cauliflower or something for dinner, but sometimes not.

It's amazing how protein grams add up pretty easily, even in places where you don't generally think of them being.

For instance, 2 cups of lettuce has 1 gram of protein.
Blue cheese dressing has 1.5 grams per 2 Tbls.
Brie cheese has 5.9 protein grams per ounce.
Chicken broth has 2.4 grams per cup.
Bacon, 3 grams per slice.
Cream cheese, 2.1 per ounce.
Almond butter, 2.4 per Tbls.
1 egg, 6.3 grams.

You get the picture. If you ate all the above things in a day, you'd have nearly 25 grams of protein. Add a 4 ounce burger for 20 grams, and you've just gotten your 40 grams.

Personally, I don't think my protein requirements are very high. I tend to gravitate toward less, and I feel better for it. It's pretty easy for me to hit the 80% fat mark most days.
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I am leaning toward not so much protein, and am totally satisfied with fats. Give me a bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and I'm a happy camper till lunch.

I do love lettuce and spinach, so will have about 2 cups each day at lunch. Other than that, I might have a serving of cauliflower or something for dinner, but sometimes not.

It's amazing how protein grams add up pretty easily, even in places where you don't generally think of them being.

For instance, 2 cups of lettuce has 1 gram of protein.
Blue cheese dressing has 1.5 grams per 2 Tbls.
Brie cheese has 5.9 protein grams per ounce.
Chicken broth has 2.4 grams per cup.
Bacon, 3 grams per slice.
Cream cheese, 2.1 per ounce.
Almond butter, 2.4 per Tbls.
1 egg, 6.3 grams.

You get the picture. If you ate all the above things in a day, you'd have nearly 25 grams of protein. Add a 4 ounce burger for 20 grams, and you've just gotten your 40 grams.

Personally, I don't think my protein requirements are very high. I tend to gravitate toward less, and I feel better for it. It's pretty easy for me to hit the 80% fat mark most days.
Thank you that was helpful. I do see how it all adds up. I'm a big cheese fan, have been since I was a kid. Mom had to avoid that aisle in the grocery store or I'd yell cheeeese, lol. I remember when they made the Kraft colby in the cylinder type shape with the wax. That was my favorite. I remember standing in the kitchen waiting for a slice.
Thank goodness it has protein & fat. I do try to limit myself on the cheese. I'm at day 32 now and I feel like I'm gettin in more of a groove and can tolerate more meat. I'm a real red meat fan though and as far as poultry I used to only like white meat chicken & turkey and now I gravitate towards dark meat because to me it's juicier & has more flavor.
My appetite is so cut though that I literally force myself to eat. And I'm satisfied with very small portions. I feel like I could go all day without eating but then I'd feel very low on energy & get a headache. I cannot BELIEVE I went from binge eating to forcing myself to eat in a month. I guess it's ketosis!

Last edited by TypeONegative; 04-24-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 50yo, 5-4, 200ish/186/130-140
WOE: DrWahl'sProtocol: VeryHi Coconut Fat & Lots LCVegs
Start Date: 1/19/15
Consider the foods you listed as "enough", in your OP, are all sweet-tasting. Maybe this is something you need to cut back and your taste for veggies will come back? Vegs are super duper rly important. Esp the lowcarb fibrous ones, like greens and such. A great book you can study (not just read but study as it's packed with info) is Terry Wahl's The Wahl's Protocol--your library probably has a copy. She has a level that is ketosis and two more levels before it. She's an MD with MS who said, no I will not just go away and wither to death. She researched and researched and is not only NOT declining anymore but actually reversing her MS!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeONegative View Post
I know I need to eat protein to avoid muscle breaking down but I feel like I could live on fat. Like for example I just had 2 sugar free jellos with around 2 oz. of cream cheese and earlier my version of iced coffee (put instant coffee in bottle of water, add heavy cream and liquid Splenda & shake up, put in freezer for a bit).
I'm totally satisfied with coffee with cream, diet soda with cream & jello with cream cheese. I know that would not be a healthy diet but I feel satisfied.
I force some protein down each day and I'm losing my taste for veggies but I try to have a lil. Anyone else like this?
Thinking about getting some whey protein isolate next month and making at least one protein shake a day.

You might want to not eat heavy cream. I just found out that the mono and diglycerides found in heavy cream is transfat. We have now given up heavy cream.
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
You might want to not eat heavy cream. I just found out that the mono and diglycerides found in heavy cream is transfat. We have now given up heavy cream.
I've never heard this. Even Dr. Atkins said HWC was good. Going to have to research. What a disappointment. Well, a few TBS once in awhile has gotta be better than the half gallon of ice cream & boxes of donuts I was going through every few days.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Yes. Well. This is scaremongering and not the whole truth or the entire transfat picture. Please research before you post.

Here's some info I found after googling, took me 30 seconds. Alternatively, you could read any good book that discusses all of the fats. For example books on keto lifestyles.

Here's the info I found. Do with it what you like:

However, the type and the amount of fat might constitute a health risk. To prevent heart disease, you should limit your intake of industrial trans fats, as they are known to raise the level of bad cholesterol in your blood and to decrease the level of the good one.

Industrial trans fats are found in:
vegetable shortening,
partially-hydrogenated margarines,
and the foods made with these fats such as many commercial deep-fried foods, baked goods and snacking foods.
According to research conducted by Health Canada, the trans fat content of these foods may be as high as 45% of the total fat consumed.

What about naturally-occurring trans fats?
Studies published to date suggest that there is a difference between naturally-occurring trans fat and the industrial form. Naturally-occurring trans fat comes from ruminant animals (cow, sheep, goat). These fats have not been associated with risks of heart disease. In fact, studies suggest a type of trans fat, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), may protect against certain types of cancer. Research is in the early stages at this point but the results seem promising.

Naturally-occurring trans fats in dairy products
Dairy products do contain a very small amount of naturally-occurring trans fat (2 to 6 % the total fat), including CLA. Dairy products are the richest source of CLA. CLA is not included on the Nutrition Facts table because it does not fit into the trans fat definition. Health Canada recognizes that trans CLA may have different biological effects than other trans fats.

A healthy perspective
Dairy products are part of a healthy diet and offer benefits beyond bone health. It's important to consume every day the recommended number of servings of milk products as recommended by Canada’s Food Guide.

When it comes to fat, moderation is the key. There is a wide variety of dairy products with different fat content. It's up to you to choose the one that suits you better.

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
juliebl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliebl
WOE: Atkins,LC,NK
Hello, while I love my fat and protein, sometimes i need a break from protein too...

Has anyone heard of isopure? Its nearly a pure protein shake without fat, but since I've been on HFLC I would add coconut oil.... I love the banana flavor...

Anyway, thanks for all the good info.

Just my 2cents
Old 05-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

I've been wanting to add a protein powder for smoothies but I've shied away as they are expensive. I want it to taste decent after spending all that money. And there are 8 million different varieties. Too many choices!!

I have a recipe I use that has cream cheese and HWC to make a smoothie, but it is carby and not much protein, which I've noticed I need more of to feel optimal.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
I've been wanting to add a protein powder for smoothies but I've shied away as they are expensive. I want it to taste decent after spending all that money. And there are 8 million different varieties. Too many choices!!

I have a recipe I use that has cream cheese and HWC to make a smoothie, but it is carby and not much protein, which I've noticed I need more of to feel optimal.
Would love to see your recipe and I wonder if you might add an egg or 2 to it if you prefer more protein?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Would love to see your recipe and I wonder if you might add an egg or 2 to it if you prefer more protein?
2 or 3 pureed strawberries
1.5 oz cream cheese
2tbsp HWC
a dash of vanilla extract
8-10 drops of liquid sucralose
3 tbsp water
3 or 4 ice cubes
Dash of cinnamon

Since they started putting extra carbs in the cream cheese, it's just made the count too high. And not much protein. I've used cottage cheese to make it as well, which is more protein but even higher in carbs.

Isn't it iffy to consume raw eggs? My luck is such that if 1 in 4 eggs have salmonella, I'd always pick the one that had it.

I only make smoothies for brekkie when I'm absolutely sick of eating eggs. The recipe with cocoa powder instead of strawberries is good too. I added an extra half oz of cream cheese and made a butter/ground almond crust for a dessert once. Dangerously delicious, but I definitely had to budget my day for the carbs.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
2 or 3 pureed strawberries
1.5 oz cream cheese
2tbsp HWC
a dash of vanilla extract
8-10 drops of liquid sucralose
3 tbsp water
3 or 4 ice cubes
Dash of cinnamon

Since they started putting extra carbs in the cream cheese, it's just made the count too high. And not much protein. I've used cottage cheese to make it as well, which is more protein but even higher in carbs.

Isn't it iffy to consume raw eggs? My luck is such that if 1 in 4 eggs have salmonella, I'd always pick the one that had it.

I only make smoothies for brekkie when I'm absolutely sick of eating eggs. The recipe with cocoa powder instead of strawberries is good too. I added an extra half oz of cream cheese and made a butter/ground almond crust for a dessert once. Dangerously delicious, but I definitely had to budget my day for the carbs.
Hey Jess,
I've tried a few protein powders and I only use the whey isolate (when I can afford it which currently is never, lmao)....anyway, Six Star brand is the BEST tasting IMO but just under 20$ for a canister at Walmart. Not sure on servings, pretty big canister. Next time I have 20$ to blow (I wish!) I'm getting some!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #17
Mufflana
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mufflana
Stats: 325/210/160
WOE: Lchf/NK/EF and FF
Start Date: October 2014 (previously Atkins 72)
Pea protein..

Hi, here in the UK I have just started using pea protein in a shake, really helps meet protein goal without much meat and is not too carby at all, add it a day of almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, ice cubes and blitz, if I need more fat then I will sometimes add double cream, our version of HWC, or some coconut oil. Tastes good to me and I am happy too late afternoon some days.
Mufflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
pantograph
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
If you find heavy whipping cream with mono- and di-glicerides, which are emulsifiers (thickeners), it's a clue you need to find a better brand of cream. I also refuse to buy supposedly organic cream containing carrageenan, another thickener, which many people react to. Just look for cream where the only ingredient is cream, preferably from grass-fed cows. There's a fantastic California organic dairy that even uses glass containers, and boy it is good!
pantograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
If you find heavy whipping cream with mono- and di-glicerides, which are emulsifiers (thickeners), it's a clue you need to find a better brand of cream. I also refuse to buy supposedly organic cream containing carrageenan, another thickener, which many people react to. Just look for cream where the only ingredient is cream, preferably from grass-fed cows. There's a fantastic California organic dairy that even uses glass containers, and boy it is good!
Much the same with yogurt and sour cream. Should be milk and/or cream, and cultures. Since Greek yogurt has become "the thing" everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. If your (alleged) Greek yogurt has emulsifiers and thickeners then it is "common yogurt forced to act like Greek yogurt" and NOT via the method of straining off whey to make the remainder thicker.

Our local supermarket has exactly two brands of plain yogurt. Everything else is pseudo-Greek, low fat, no fat; the latter two ALWAYS with additives and often sugar or HFCS. If I want fruit I'll add it myself, then I know it is just fruit without added sugar or additives found in ALL of the flavored brands. If I am being lazy and opt for a spoonful of preserves it is becoming increasingly difficult to find THAT with plain sugar and not HFCS.

Store has 3 or 4 brands of butter but 10 feet 6 shelves high of margarine. Only one brand of sour cream qualifies among one glass-door cooler worth of 'others'.

I cannot afford to go to the health food store that has dairy in glass bottles, actual butter including Kerrygold, real yogurt, real cheese.

One of these days I want to try REAL sugarless fruit preserves by mashing fruit and incorporating unflavored gelatin, of which I got a pound of from Netrition for just a wee bit more than a box of 4 single serving packets.

Chemotherapy sucks. Tons of ideas, no energy to pursue them.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #20
jessluvzbacon
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeONegative View Post
Hey Jess,
I've tried a few protein powders and I only use the whey isolate (when I can afford it which currently is never, lmao)....anyway, Six Star brand is the BEST tasting IMO but just under 20$ for a canister at Walmart. Not sure on servings, pretty big canister. Next time I have 20$ to blow (I wish!) I'm getting some!
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
pantograph
Junior LCF Member

I envy those of you who have to add protein to what you get in meat, fish, nuts, and dairy. I have a really hard time keeping my protein intake low enough for ketosis, and I'm a fairly large (6'2") guy.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #22
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
I envy those of you who have to add protein to what you get in meat, fish, nuts, and dairy. I have a really hard time keeping my protein intake low enough for ketosis, and I'm a fairly large (6'2") guy.
How is your fat intake? Maybe by increasing your fat intake, it will make you more satisfied so you can keep your protein lebels appropriate for your goals...

xx

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
pantograph
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
How is your fat intake? Maybe by increasing your fat intake, it will make you more satisfied so you can keep your protein lebels appropriate for your goals...

xx
Yesterday, I ate 219 grams of fat, 89 protein, 38 carbs. 79/15/6%. So I probably have about the right amount of fat.

This is pretty typical for me now. I'm trying to keep protein under 90 grams (about 1.3g/kg of lean mass). Of course, it would probably also help to cut out a few more carbs.

My glucose this morning was 75 mg/dl (4.2 mmol/l) with blood ketones at 0.8, which are both the best for me over the last two weeks. So some progress!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #24
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

I have never heard of CLA being called transfat. Nor of any naturally-occuring transfats.

Last edited by Hélène; 05-09-2015 at 06:51 AM..
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #25
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Yes, there are naturally occurring trans fats. They are not the problematic ones.

We are all so different even though it would seem we all should have similar needs!

I would starve on fat only. My body loves protein & thrives on it. I even followed a high protein, high fiber diet years ago with amazing results! It was the most challenging nutrition plan I ever tried. It is much easier to eat a more moderate amount of protein of support my LBM. I probably consume more protein than many of you but I follow recommendations based on my own stats.

My body is happiest with my fat intake at the low end of NK recommendations. It is where I have ended up without even trying every time I have followed a low carb/high fat plan.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #26
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
TypeONegative, how are you doing with your food plan? There are others of us who eat just adequate protein, enough carbs to not force GNG, and enough lovely fats to feel well.

Am sending you good thoughts.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
TypeONegative, how are you doing with your food plan? There are others of us who eat just adequate protein, enough carbs to not force GNG, and enough lovely fats to feel well.

Am sending you good thoughts.
Hi Auntie Em,
I'm doing good. After I got through the induction flu which for me lasted at least a month it seemed, I was fine with eating more protein. Now nearing the end of my 9th week it all feels like 2nd nature to me. I think the reason I was satisfied with just fat in the early stages was that I was so nauseated from the induction flu that the thought of protein gagged me, but that's all passed, lol.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #28
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
TypeO, I'm glad you are doing well. I wish you much happiness and success.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #29
TypeONegative
Destination Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
TypeO, I'm glad you are doing well. I wish you much happiness and success.
Thank you!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #30
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Ya know TypeO...I read ur sig line how ur not breaking up this time with lowcarb and it made me think about a convo I had recently. This parent was very upset & frustrated with the son. "If he doesnt come see me this time, that's it. 3 strikes and ur out. I'm so sick of only being wanted when he needs something from me. He goes and sees (other parent) all the time" blah blah blah.
I said, "Look, u cant divorce or even "break up with" ur children. Stop badmouthing ur son. You love ur son."
We need to get that kind of unconditional love for lowcarb. Even when its taking awhile for results, or making us feel cruddy at first. We need to adapt it sometimes as we journey on in it but to break up with it---I doubt many of us can afford to do that, physically speaking.
Just came to my mind as I read ur sig line. We must be tenacious unless rly proven we shudnt be.