Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MountainMom
Ever feel a bit blah about lchf foods/recipes?

I realize that there are so many great recipes out there that I've yet to try and I still plan to. Like someone mentioned jalapeno poppers...sounds great!

But sometimes I'm just like ehhh to every low carb food I think of.

I've been completely true to this diet though, and I've noticed one great benefit, probably the best one yet - my out of control hunger is gone. I honestly have to say that I really think this is a likely reason I've lost 4 lbs in the last 10 days or so. I'm eating a LOT less. I just open my fridge and lose my appetite. I'm even sick of cream cheese and I didn't think that could happen.

Yesterday being Easter here in America, I made some really nice easter baskets for my children and really would have loved to pop a malted easter egg in my mouth, but I didn't.

Instead I thought that I would make the 2-carb fudge brownies that I've seen on a few sites....the ones using unsweetened chocolate and almond "flour".

Now my picky level is almost zero. I can sit down to almost any food and find something about it to enjoy but these funky brownies were just awful and I almost spit a bite of this brown spongy nightmare across the room.

I did manage to salvage the brownies by mashing them up, pouring some whipped cream into the bowl of crumbles, a bit of EZ Sweetz and I had created something much more palatable and it was really nice to have a dessert again.

An occasional cup of coffee is a lifesaver too.

Anyway, I'm going to use my 20 years of baking the-best-baked-goods-ever to recreate this hideous brownie recipe into something much better. Now it might take me some time but bear with me, and I will come up with something much, much better.

MountainMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
My favorite LC food blogger is Carolyn@ alldayidreamaboutfood. She has the best desserts around, IMHO.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Power34
Stats: bouncing around
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: getting serious 4/2015
I don't have a sweet tooth really. I do like my coffee with sweetener but just enough to take the edge off the bitterness. Of course ate cake and chocolate in my high-carb days and I liked it (mostly) but now I really don't miss sweets.
I enjoy "being allowed" to eat so many great things that I love, like eggs (soft boiled, hard boiled, scrambled, fried, omelet, deviled.... ) and mayo and butter and cream and cheese and meat and bacon and almond butter and peanut butter... I'm in nutritional heaven! At least since I figured out how all the above (ok some of the above) fits into my daily calorie goal and macros....

And I realize, too, that my brain has started adjusting to my new WOE. When I'm not looking my brain browses shelves at the store by itself, collecting ideas and coming up with recipes - like it did when I was eating HC, only under different circumstances.
Power34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
ibreatheimhungry also has some pretty decadent looking recipes.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

I'll have to check them out. I like modifying recipes to suit my taste.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMom View Post
I realize that there are so many great recipes out there that I've yet to try and I still plan to. Like someone mentioned jalapeno poppers...sounds great!

But sometimes I'm just like ehhh to every low carb food I think of.

I've been completely true to this diet though, and I've noticed one great benefit, probably the best one yet - my out of control hunger is gone. I honestly have to say that I really think this is a likely reason I've lost 4 lbs in the last 10 days or so. I'm eating a LOT less. I just open my fridge and lose my appetite. I'm even sick of cream cheese and I didn't think that could happen.

Yesterday being Easter here in America, I made some really nice easter baskets for my children and really would have loved to pop a malted easter egg in my mouth, but I didn't.

Instead I thought that I would make the 2-carb fudge brownies that I've seen on a few sites....the ones using unsweetened chocolate and almond "flour".

Now my picky level is almost zero. I can sit down to almost any food and find something about it to enjoy but these funky brownies were just awful and I almost spit a bite of this brown spongy nightmare across the room.

I did manage to salvage the brownies by mashing them up, pouring some whipped cream into the bowl of crumbles, a bit of EZ Sweetz and I had created something much more palatable and it was really nice to have a dessert again.

An occasional cup of coffee is a lifesaver too.

Anyway, I'm going to use my 20 years of baking the-best-baked-goods-ever to recreate this hideous brownie recipe into something much better. Now it might take me some time but bear with me, and I will come up with something much, much better.

If you want to have something yummy, just add a little cocoa powder to some sour cream and sweetener and cinnamon. A really good dessert. I also make a muffin for my husband that is 1/4 c flaxseed meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 tsp olive oil or butter, and some sweetener. Mix in a coffee mug and cook for 1 min in the microwave. He eats it with lots of butter. I also once in a while make pancakes with 2 oz of cream cheese, 2 eggs, some sweetener and some cinnamon. Mix in a blender. Cook them in a skillet with butter. When done put butter on them and eat. Really good. If you want a little fruit on them just heat a few strawberries in the microwave, add some sweetener, and mash. Put these over your pancakes. You could also add a little whipped cream or sour cream to them. I only have fruit once in a while as a treat and only a very little bit.

Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I'll try some of those. Ughh, I'm about tired of everything. I'm really only eating when necessary as the pleasure of eating has disappeared into the atmosphere for me. Yeah, sure...this is a good thing when you are trying to lose weight, but I wish I could enjoy my food just a little bit more. I'm trying. I really am. Everything is making me feel like this: even my beloved salmon made me feel a bit sick today. I HAVE to create some new foods for me asap. I'll try anything!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
juliebl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliebl
WOE: Atkins,LC,NK
One of my favorite....probably done somewhere else as well

Almond Joy
1-2 T shredded coconut - unsweetened
enough egg white just to mix, maybe another 1-2T
10 drops of SF sweetner

Cook in microwave about 1.3-2min
SF chocolate russell stover - 1 nuget melted in microwave and spread this on top of the coconut above, top with a almond...

juliebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMom View Post
Thanks, I'll try some of those. Ughh, I'm about tired of everything. I'm really only eating when necessary as the pleasure of eating has disappeared into the atmosphere for me. Yeah, sure...this is a good thing when you are trying to lose weight, but I wish I could enjoy my food just a little bit more. I'm trying. I really am. Everything is making me feel like this: even my beloved salmon made me feel a bit sick today. I HAVE to create some new foods for me asap. I'll try anything!
Firstly, I would say that you probably need to pay attention to your electrolyte balance (i.e. get some chicken broth in - 2 cups per day) and secondly, check out these threads....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=534809

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #10
juliebl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliebl
WOE: Atkins,LC,NK
[QUOTE=clackley;17234056]Firstly, I would say that you probably need to pay attention to your electrolyte balance (i.e. get some chicken broth in - 2 cups per day)

I had beef broth yesterday and it helped me feel better immensely...
juliebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies. Broth does sound good.

I checked my weight again and I'm back up to my original weight of 160 so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Six weeks of very, very low carb, no cheating what-so-ever, and exercise and still not enough. Maybe I just need to practice some self acceptance and move on. I may just have a metabolism issue, I really don't know. The only other thing I can try is cut my portions to about a quarter of what they are. That will be the last thing I try. I will go with 2 weeks of extremely small portions. If by May 1st I'm still at 160, I'm going to accept myself the way that I am and stop thinking about it entirely.

Last edited by MountainMom; 04-15-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 50yo, 5-4, 200ish/186/130-140
WOE: DrWahl'sProtocol: VeryHi Coconut Fat & Lots LCVegs
Start Date: 1/19/15
I had a problem being very bored with my food also. In fact, I quit keto becuz I wasn't getting any results either--wgt loss beyond water wgt at first. I also think with the high fat (and low calorie reqts) I just didnt have enough food to eat so that I could get my chewing reqts in! Seriously. I'd be like ok, I'm done, that's it for the nite and-- Im not rly HUNGRY but I def want to eat some more. I mean like I'd more broccoli with bleu cheese or I'd like some baked salmon. It wasn't that I wanted cookies or pop. I just wanted to EAT more lol
But I dared not eat more as I hadnt lost already in such a long time--2 mos.
My metab is also quite messed up but I had such pain control in keto that I'm going back to it asap.
just my experience