Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
missy7222
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: missy7222
I thought LC was suppose to help w/belly fat?

Ok, so I've been dieting for about 10 weeks. The first 6 weeks I was doing weight watchers and I lost 12 lbs. I then switched over to LC and over the last 4 weeks have only lost 3 lbs! I switched because all I kept reading was how the LC was suppose to help reduce belly fat, which is where I have my biggest problem. But since switching, not only am I losing less weight, I haven't lost any inches off my belly. I've been working really hard at this, keeping my carbs to 20g or less a day. I have been in ketosis since the first week. I'm 4"11 and right now my weight is at 132 and I measure 40" around my belly button.

I just don't understand and I'm getting frustrated at this point. I want to stick with the LC but not sure I see the benefits? Plus it seems from what I've read that if I ever eat pasta or bread again I'm gonna gain a stupid amount of weight back right away...

Is there suppose to be a difference between pounds lost on say WW vs LC? Why would I go crazy eating so low carb if I'm not losing the weight or the inches?

A typical day for me might look like this:

2 cups of coffee with a scoop of protein powder (30g protein 1 net carb 130 calories 1g fat) 1 Tbs coconut oil, 1 Tbs butter, 1Tbs hwc

Low carb wrap (4 net carbs) with mayo ham and cheese

Steak or chicken with cauliflower mashed and probably a salad with blue cheese dressing.

If I have any snacks it's usually like 1 oz of nuts 1x a day. I usually have 1 diet soda with dinner.

Any info or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Missy
missy7222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MountainMom
I would just be patient, it will happen.

I have no belly fat to lose, nor any detectable water retention, so I was a bit slow losing at first, but it will start to happen.

In my opinion, most of what you will lose will be due to having a smaller appetite and less cravings, which seems to be a common upside.
MountainMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7222 View Post
Ok, so I've been dieting for about 10 weeks. The first 6 weeks I was doing weight watchers and I lost 12 lbs. I then switched over to LC and over the last 4 weeks have only lost 3 lbs! I switched because all I kept reading was how the LC was suppose to help reduce belly fat, which is where I have my biggest problem. But since switching, not only am I losing less weight, I haven't lost any inches off my belly. I've been working really hard at this, keeping my carbs to 20g or less a day. I have been in ketosis since the first week. I'm 4"11 and right now my weight is at 132 and I measure 40" around my belly button.

I just don't understand and I'm getting frustrated at this point. I want to stick with the LC but not sure I see the benefits? Plus it seems from what I've read that if I ever eat pasta or bread again I'm gonna gain a stupid amount of weight back right away...

Is there suppose to be a difference between pounds lost on say WW vs LC? Why would I go crazy eating so low carb if I'm not losing the weight or the inches?

2 cups of coffee with a scoop of protein powder (30g protein 1 net carb 130 calories 1g fat) 1 Tbs coconut oil, 1 Tbs butter, 1Tbs hwc

Steak or chicken with cauliflower mashed and probably a salad with blue cheese dressing.

If I have any snacks it's usually like 1 oz of nuts 1x a day. I usually have 1 diet soda with dinner.

Thanks!
Missy
Stay away from low carb wraps. Use lettuce leaves instead. Do not eat too many vegetables. A small amount a day will suffice. I would avoid pop and only eat real foods. Limit your protein intake to about 6 to 8 ounces a day. Store bought dressings can cause some to stall because they have so many additives. They also have the wrong kind of oil in them. I would stay away from nuts for a while also. They can cause people to stall. This is not an all you can eat WOE. You are short and really not that overweight. So you can expect the weight to come off slowly. 3 pounds in a couple of weeks is really a good weight loss.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

Yes, the wraps are a big mistake. I stay away from ANYTHING processed, no matter what they are advertised as being. I would stick with food in it's most natural form possible.

I'm not sure if you are in America, but packaged food here will be so falsely advertised that it just makes me sick. Even Atkin's packaged food is pure crap and will totally thwart your weight loss efforts.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
heidihoopi
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LowCarb, 600 cal days 2x a week
Quote:
Try having 1 or 2 eggs for breakfast, made however you like, and 1 or 2 cups of coffee with just 1 T of hwc in each cup...for a week. Just try it. Dr. A did not mean for us to drown in fat.

I know there are folks who love their bullet proof coffee, but imo the fat content is excessive and unnecessary.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
MountainMom
Senior LCF Member

I don't drown everything in fat either. If it's in what I eat, I'm good with that. I think some people think "if some is good, more is better!" and that's not me. I heard a saying about low carb dieting "Don't count calories, but calories do count." and I always keep that in the back of my mind. That's why I said that I think one of the best benefits to low carb dieting is what it seems to do to appetite and cravings.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Try having 1 or 2 eggs for breakfast, made however you like, and 1 or 2 cups of coffee with just 1 T of hwc in each cup...for a week. Just try it. Dr. A did not mean for us to drown in fat.

I know there are folks who love their bullet proof coffee, but imo the fat content is excessive and unnecessary.
This would depend on what else a person is consuming during the day. How would you know it is 'excessive' for those that "love their b.p.c." without knowing what else they consume and the actual makeup of their diet?

Missy, it is impossible to tell what may or may not be wrong with your food intake without knowing the amounts. You need to provide the weight or measures. It may be useful to use a food tracker to determine what your diet is actually consisting of.

It is also important to remember that we do not lose weight in a linear fashion. We tend to lose quickly in the beginning. W.W. may not appear to be a l/c diet but it really is in that you are cutting out the junky high carb foods. So you will get some good weight loss in the beginning like any other improvement in diet. Then the weight loss will slow and even pause for a time. This is likely to have happened if you stayed with W.W. as well.

In terms of belly fat - I have not heard that low carb is good for that. It is my understanding that some people known as skinny fat actually may have visceral fat around their organs which would be the belly and is not obvious. These people tend to lose this kind of fat if they change to a low carb diet.

You seem to have a body type that suggests carb intolerance so I would suggest that you stick with it and look to the other many, many benefits of low carb while you work at losing the weight.

Btw, most people use a bpc (or keto coffee as I like to call it) for a number of good reasons ~ most often as a meal. The mct oil and/or coconut oil facilitate ketosis and provide good energy and appetite suppression. I prefer to rely on the good science that makes this a good option.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 04-08-2015 at 06:18 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
missy7222
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I do the bbc in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement, sometimes even skipping lunch. I've read how good coconut oil is for you so I figured this was a great way to get that into my diet. The total calories of my "bbc" is 464 (130) of which is from the protein powder. Should I take the protein powder out? Is it good for me to have it in there? Maybe I should replace it with another tbs of coconut oil? Also, is it possible to not eat enough calories to lose weight, I've heard you shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day......then again one of the points of the LCHF is not not have to count calories, ugggg I'm so confused LOL.....I have about 30 lbs more to lose so I really want to try to do this right without wasting a lot of time going back and forth from "is this better, is that better" etc.

I probably average around 900-1200 calories a day.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:

Thanks!
Missy
Hi Missy. I will second what Clackley said in the fact that there is no way to really tell how to help without seeing exactly how much you are eating. Just from glancing at your typical day, I don't see how you are only getting 900-1200 calories unless you are just eating tiny amounts of things like the mayo, nuts. Also, because you are on the smaller side, you probably need to watch your protein much closer. On another note, I think this way of eating is a lifestyle, and if you do not enjoy it, or you just fundamentally don't believe in it and don't plan to eat this way for the long term, you might be better off sticking with WW. I won't pretend that this is the way that everyone should eat. You need to do what is going to make you happy and be able to stick with.
If you still want to try this WOE this is how I would tweak my menu:

coffee w/1tbsp. coconut oil and either 1tbsp HWC OR 1tbsp butter-not both(I recommend butter because it's better for belly fat)skip the protein powder

3oz ham w/1oz.full fat cheese and 1tbsp. sugar free mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves, one dill pickle for some crunch

4oz steak or 3oz chicken w/one cup non starchy veggies and 1tbsp. butter

if you must have a snack:SF jello, a stick of string cheese, some pepperoni chips will work well.

You probably don't need any more than 50-60 grams of protein and 15 net carbs. The rest should be made up of good fats.

Hope this helps.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
Power34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Power34
Stats: bouncing around
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: getting serious 4/2015
Clackley: terrific post (as always)

Missy: It really IS important not to get too low on calories. If you keep eating way beyond a certain amount of calories your body changes into starvation mode. The metabolism changes and your body tries to sustain itself using as little energy as possible - you stall.
I can relate to your feeling of confusion VERY well. When I started LCHF it all sounded easy-cheesy. Just leave out carbs, eat eggs and meat and cheese and stuff and happiness follows... (yup I tend to be a bit naďve...)
But soon I realized that LCHF is much more than that. You really have to know what you're doing and think about what you eat.
Don't give up, though. I think the feeling of ketosis is worth ALL the trouble. It's said to be healthy too, don't have any personal facts yet that prove that but in theory it's logical.
I can only suggest you read as much as you can on ketosis and LCHF. There are great books out there, or videos on youtube, podcasts, everything. And you can ask ANY question here too. Believe me - I've done so I'm new here too and people are so wonderful, very helpful and patient.

So stick with it - and us - and I'm sure you'll learn so much here and give your body what's best for it.
Power34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
How many carbs? Calories are less important than the make up of your food. It is likely that you are eating enough if you are paying attention to hunger.

I would cut the protein powder because it tends to insulinogenic and not because of the calorie count. I would also cut out the wrap if it contains any grains. They are problematic. You can make oopsies or other 'vehicle' for your sandwich innards! A good sturdy lettuce leaf works well too.

I would also be very careful of the amount of vegetable - particularly in one meal.

Then pay attention to hunger. This will help you eat the amount of foods that you need.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
sheepdog
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheepdog
Quote:

Thanks!
Missy
You didnt put your other macros out there so this is all just guess work:

1.) Spiking your insulin with protein powder is not wise. Keto is meant to keep insulin spikes flat

2.) You're probably eating too much protein which is turnign to glycogen

3.) You're not giving your body time to fat adapt. Alot of people actually gain weight til theyre adapted.

4.) You're being unrealistic about the results you've got. 3/4s of pound a week isn't bad past the newbie water lost stage you likely got on WW.

Read posts, give it time, and keto on.
sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
missy7222
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the advice, I will take all the suggestions and put them to good use. My head is still spinning though lol
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
sterlinggirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 194/166 GOAL.5'9 50Years young
WOE: Atkins 2/20/17
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Missy IMHO you need to find what works for you. IF you were seeing results on WW why would you switch? The key to weight loss is ........ What works for your body!. If everyone was able to make 1 plan work then we would all being trying the same thing. Every body is different and what works for 1 may not work for the next.. So please find a WOE that works for you and your life and be dedicated to it.. Good luck!~ With much Respect

1991 Highest Weight 296#
1995 Low Fat 190#
2012 225#Job change.
2012 lost 60# on JUDDD. 166 N Lw
2015 185# Depression.
4/1/2015 NK new Woe. @ 185
My whole life has been a battle BUT I always get back up when it knocks me down.. Never give up!!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I do the bbc in the morning as a breakfast meal replacement, sometimes even skipping lunch. I've read how good coconut oil is for you so I figured this was a great way to get that into my diet. The total calories of my "bbc" is 464 (130) of which is from the protein powder. Should I take the protein powder out? Is it good for me to have it in there? Maybe I should replace it with another tbs of coconut oil? Also, is it possible to not eat enough calories to lose weight, I've heard you shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day......then again one of the points of the LCHF is not not have to count calories, ugggg I'm so confused LOL.....I have about 30 lbs more to lose so I really want to try to do this right without wasting a lot of time going back and forth from "is this better, is that better" etc.

I probably average around 900-1200 calories a day.

Thanks for your help.
You will have to experiment to find out what works best for you. I have done WW and believe me, you will never be able to stick with it for long. They cut way too much fat out of the diet. Your skin gets dry and your hair brittle. Don't be afraid of fat. It makes us happy and keeps our skin feeling good and our hair shiny. I eat quite a bit of fat in my diet and I have never felt better. I used to get the blues when I did WW. Since I have gone to high fat, I am upbeat and cheerful. I keep my protein very low and my carbs very low as well. It is the fat in my diet that works for me. No matter what woe you are on, you will always stall. My husband dropped his weight very easily. It really is easier for men than women. I dropped 30 pounds easily and then I stalled. But I am happy and I know that I will lose my weight eventually as long as I stay with it. When I was in my 30's it was easy to lose, but now I am almost 60 and it is not so easy any more. I wish I knew what I do now when I was in my 30's.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote