Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
jrapps
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrapps
Which Yogurt would YOU choose?

I started reintroducing plain Greek yogurt into my diet. I prefer homemade but I don't always have the time and worry that I'm not calculating the macros properly. I found 2 store bought yogurts that I like but wondering your opinions on which YOU would choose:

1 - Fage Total (1/2 cup serving) 110 calories

5.5 fat, 10 protein, 4.5 carbs (all 4.5 is sugar)
Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Live Cultures

2 - Cabot Greek (1/2 cup serving) 155 calories

11 fat, 8 protein, 6 carbs (2.5 of carbs is sugar)
Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Whey protein, Milk Protein, Live cultures

The Fage has less fillers and thickening agents (i.e. Whey and milk protein concentrates) but the macros for the Cabot are better and the Cabot has less sugar

Fage 46/37/17
Cabot 64/21/15

Thoughts?
jrapps is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Fage. Yogurt does not need additives.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
arhab
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arhab
I have also read that due to yoghurt live cultures actual sugar content will be lower than stated on the label...

Arhab
arhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I personally would go with the Fage with those were the only two options. To me, that one has the better macros (lower carb). I don't really care about percentages - I look at grams over the whole day. The fat isn't a big deal to me, as I can easily get in enough fat in other foods. Or you can add some heavy cream to the Fage if you want to up the fat.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-26-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
DABG
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DABG
Stats: S:184, C: 156.0 G: 145-140
WOE: HFLC, IF, EF
Start Date: RS: 12/ 28/13
Fage! And the dummies who run our local "supermarket" here think everyone eats the fatfree stuff--only offer the fullfat in small containers--and charge a fortune for it. Still I love this stuff--can eat it just plain; use it for a substitute for sour cream when out of that--almost no difference in taste and texture.

One day I will make my own but meantime, Fage is the most "authentic" real Greek yogurt I have found. (NO additives is very important.)
DABG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABG View Post
Fage! And the dummies who run our local "supermarket" here think everyone eats the fatfree stuff--only offer the fullfat in small containers--and charge a fortune for it. Still I love this stuff--can eat it just plain; use it for a substitute for sour cream when out of that--almost no difference in taste and texture.

One day I will make my own but meantime, Fage is the most "authentic" real Greek yogurt I have found. (NO additives is very important.)
Interesting. The store here only does full fat in quarts, Fage is not one of them. There are no flavors with full fat, only plain.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
DABG
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faia View Post
Interesting. The store here only does full fat in quarts, Fage is not one of them. There are no flavors with full fat, only plain.
"flavors." ? Are you looking for flavored Greek yogurt? The only Greek yogurt we buy is Plain--otherwise the offerings with "flavors" available here all have carby crap in them like sugar. I'm sorry your store doesn't have Fage, but it is not always easy to find. (I'm surprised our podunk supermarket even carries it--they are big into FAT FREE junk around here.)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

We have Fage in low- and non- fat. We have yards of shelf for dozens of flavors. All low- and non- and none with just fruit added.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
DABG
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faia View Post
Fage. Yogurt does not need additives.
this!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #10
jrapps
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrapps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DABG View Post
(NO additives is very important.)
Thank you everyone for confirming what I was already thinking...but since I was the OP without a real strong opinion one way or the other let me play devil's advocate for a minute...

While I generally think of food additives as bad, when I think of harmful additives to yogurt I think of things like sugar and chemicals. In this case the "additive" in question is just whey protein, something many of us already use in recipes like smoothies anyway.

I guess my question is all things being equal, would you rather have your yogurt have whey protein or more sugars? I feel like I am very sensitive to sugar hence the reason I started the thread in the first place.
jrapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapps View Post
I started reintroducing plain Greek yogurt into my diet. I prefer homemade but I don't always have the time and worry that I'm not calculating the macros properly. I found 2 store bought yogurts that I like but wondering your opinions on which YOU would choose:

The Fage has less fillers and thickening agents (i.e. Whey and milk protein concentrates) but the macros for the Cabot are better and the Cabot has less sugar

Fage 46/37/17
Cabot 64/21/15

Thoughts?
Did the Cabot actually call them concentrates? I have no issue with the ingredients of either. I would however pick the Cabot because it is higher fat and lower protein which is my chosen woe. A 1/2 cup of the Cabot would keep me full longer and the amount of protein would fit my macros better.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
While I generally think of food additives as bad, when I think of harmful additives to yogurt I think of things like sugar and chemicals. In this case the "additive" in question is just whey protein, something many of us already use in recipes like smoothies anyway.

I guess my question is all things being equal, would you rather have your yogurt have whey protein or more sugars? I feel like I am very sensitive to sugar hence the reason I started the thread in the first place.
For me it is not so much the fact that there is whey and milk proteins added, but not knowing how they are sourced. Also, why are they there, what deficiency are they compensating for? If they are indeed there for "thickening" then that puts me into thinking that it isn't so much Greek yogurt, but "common" yogurt artificially thickened. And look at the protein numbers, even with the extra protein there is less in the Cabot than the Fage.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
All good points Faia. However, a higher fat yogurt will by nature have less protein and a lot of people want more protein and thus the addition of protein powder.

Best to make your own and if you are buying, run it through a sieve to remove as much whey as possible. This is where most of the carbs are.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
Quote:
Thank you everyone for confirming what I was already thinking...but since I was the OP without a real strong opinion one way or the other let me play devil's advocate for a minute...

As alluded to in my earlier post, I would rather have more protein than more carbs. It isn't especially important to me if the carbs in yogurt are listed as sugar or not. Eventually all carbs break down to sugar to be absorbed into our bloodstream. So any non-fiber carbs = sugar to me.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-27-2015 at 10:32 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #15
HappyInKetosis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyInKetosis
Stats: 188/142/135 5'2"
WOE: Ketogenic/LCHF with IF
Start Date: Restarted March 2017
For me it is the Fage.

First, because I happen to love that brand and the way it tastes; second because of the slightly lower carbs.

I tend not to look at the macros of individual foods; what I find I have been doing is recording my breakfast numbers and then checking how my macros look so I can plan the rest of my day. I tend to focus on where the carbs are going to come from (I'm limiting myself to 20-25 net carbs a day), as I can always find ways to add protein and fat if I need to.

Back to the yogurt. I don't know if I've ever seen Cabot at my regular supermarket, but they also do not carry full fat Fage - only 0% and 2%. I had been skipping yogurt altogether since starting keto on 1/31. But when I went to two other supermarkets with a friend (near by, just not my regular haunt) I found the full fat Fage in 16 oz and 8 oz sizes. I grabbed them, and intend to go back whenever I run out.
HappyInKetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
MerryKate
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 219/207.6/175
WOE: HFLC/ADF
Start Date: January 2017
I like Fage as a starter for homemade yogurt - using 1/2 cup in a half gallon of milk will give you 32+ oz. of yogurt in about 12 hours. I just did a batch off of Siggi's Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) and it's excellent - much less tart than most other yogurts. Since skyr is traditionally made from skim milk, mine is technically not "the real thing", but it tastes much better.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
LCandproud
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
Stats: 233/233/200
WOE: LCHF
Here's another vote for FAGE total. I have to get it at the closest Sprouts or Whole Foods because local Safeway and Raleys don't carry it. Its so frustrating to see a million low fat/ fat free kinds. I've tried Siggi's Skyr also very good but FAGE is so creamy.
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

Fage 46/37/17
Cabot 64/21/15

Thoughts?
Fage. It has fewer additives. Personally I just eat sour cream. The brand I buy has only cream and cultures in it. The sugar in the Fage yogurt is just milk sugar.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #19
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 50yo, 5-4, 200ish/186/130-140
WOE: DrWahl'sProtocol: VeryHi Coconut Fat & Lots LCVegs
Start Date: 1/19/15
The longer you culture dairy, the less lactose (and thus carbs) are left in it. It gets eaten up. I've seen experiments on this, showing a decreased carb count.
SO
I culture my homemade yogurt for 24 hrs. It's not that tart as some warn. My kids are used to eating it plain and sometimes I put a little stevia glycerite in it. They almost always have cinn and vanilla in it. For a big treat, some maple syrup. OR with berries or applesauce or smashed bananas.
You can strain it urself and have greek yogurt (save the whey! it's great to make cultured mayo with and other things--esp non-keto things like soaking grains to eliminate phytates, etc). But I just add gelatin to it when I'm making it and that thickens it well enough for us. I'm eating moderate protein, not high protein (not that *I* eat yogurt in ketosis lol) and they dont need extra protein as they get plenty.
There is very little you need in yogurt--milk, cultures and possibly gelatin. It's like sour cream--you need cream and cultures. The other stuff is not good to have. Daisy is a brand with only cultured milk in it.
Of course, we could talk about starting with raw milk vs pasteurized milk too...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
Frankly, whichever is cheaper. The ingredients are acceptable to me in both, and the nurtition values are pretty similar (not going to worry over a 2.5 gram carb difference).
Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #21
Hélène
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 50yo, 5-4, 200ish/186/130-140
WOE: DrWahl'sProtocol: VeryHi Coconut Fat & Lots LCVegs
Start Date: 1/19/15
Food Lady
have u ever seen Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off...Bob Briggs' site?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
No, but butter is making my pants fall off! lol