Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
sheepdog
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheepdog
At it almost a year with no progress, about to give up

So after alot of weight loss traditionally just counting cals I got stuck Dec before last. So I went to lower carbs for couple months, then CKD for about 11 months with intermittant fasting 18/6 a day, and now LCHF last 6 weeks in desperation. I'm 40, male, 155lbs, and around 14% body fat. I work out 5 to 6 days a week on weights, some minor slow pathed walking for "cardio". I rest well and drink lots of water.

I'm eating less than 30 net carbs a day, often around 15, almost entirely green fiberous veggies (cabbage, greens, spinich). Even then i try not to play with too much fiber in the day, particularly anythign questionable like Carbquik. My fats are mostly coconut oil, animal fat from fatty meats, and minor about of nuts, avocados. Ive cut out most of the dairy to help, but hasnt. Macros are sitting at around 70% fat a day, 25% or more protein, and the carbs mentioned.

I'm not using splenda related products, granular sweeters, spices with maltodextrin, or most other sources of hidden carbs. I'm really frustrated, but trying to beleive in the research, the success stories etc.

I dont know what to do next. I've tried the fat fast a couple of times, seen no difference. I tried everything I can think of and running out of hope. I'm looking for fringe suggestions, Ive googled the heck out of everything keto, reddit, Stephanie Persons, all the atkins books. I'm stuck, bad, and I dont know how to progress. Please please help
sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
alittlefaith
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alittlefaith
Stats: 227/215/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/1/2015
How tall are you? How much weight are you trying to lose? From your stats of 155 pounds and 14% body fat it would appear that you are close to your goal weight. Perhaps your body just doesn't want to lose anymore since you are so close. It sounds like you are eating healthy and working out frequently, so not sure what else could be going on.

Seems like you must not have much more weight to lose, just my two cents.
alittlefaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/128/goal/120
WOE: Keto/low carb high fat
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Your not really elaborating? How tall are you? What's your goal weight? If your lifting that much I'm sure your gaining muscle...14% body fat is pretty low...the only guys I know that go lower than 12% are doing professional competitions. What are your goals?
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
sheepdog
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermirror View Post
How tall are you? How much weight are you trying to lose? From your stats of 155 pounds and 14% body fat it would appear that you are close to your goal weight. Perhaps your body just doesn't want to lose anymore since you are so close. It sounds like you are eating healthy and working out frequently, so not sure what else could be going on.

Seems like you must not have much more weight to lose, just my two cents.
im 5'7", goal is not a specifc is care about, i'm trying to drop about 6-7% bodymass. Lean mass for that likely is aroudn 145ish assuming no lean mass changes.

My goal is just to try to get a little lower, right now I'm happy with my losses (around 80 pounds pre-low carb) but i still want to trim a bit more.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You may be at your appropriate weight. It is interesting to note that LCHF is about health and not necessarily weight loss.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
Is 5 to 6 times a week on weights too much?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Just a thought...I finally lost a few pounds on an 8 day egg fast. Easy for me to do it, too, easier than lc, maybe because choices are more limited?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Your body is telling you something- you don't need to lose anymore. I am a 5'7" 48 year old woman and even I have 133 lbs of lean body mass according to one of those dunk tests. Perhaps you should have some real bodyfat testing done to see just how much body fat you have.

I believe a LC, nutrient-dense diet will eventually bring the average person to their correct weight. That may be a loss or a gain. I think it is a rare person that can cause themselves to become underweight eating LC (unless they severly resrict calories, then it is a calorie-restriction diet, not an LC diet).
Old 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
You may be at your appropriate weight. It is interesting to note that LCHF is about health and not necessarily weight loss.

Agreed - your weight is fine, your body fat is fine for the average person.

LCHF isn't how the way you will sculpt your body to a certain BF%.

If you are attempting to fine-tune your body to decrease body fat %, diet can only go so far. Weights and resistance are your next step in trying to increase muscle mass as % of weight. If that is what you want, you will need to accomplish it through weight training, rather than diet.

Good luck!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
lowcarbella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am 5'6 ,woman and have LBM of 130.My goal is 150 but I may stop at 160.

At 5'7 and male your current weight looks much lower.How about doing a dunk test or something similar that is accurate to know where you are exactly.

that 14% BF is questionable with those stats.It might be much lower.Also I agree with sbarr,when it comes to bodysculpting,diet can go only so far.
when it is weightloss it is the other way round though.check out the bodybuilder forms to see if they can help.

whatever you decide,do not give up.you are at a place most of us are dreaming about.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
ar9179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ar9179
Stats: 198/171/~140 (really just fit and trim) 5'3"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/2/15
I second a bodybuilding forum. Sounds like you want to cut, which is a calorie deficit...plain and simple. LC is just one way to achieve a deficit. When you have little to lose and don't see progress, use a digital scale to weight everything you eat and a food tracker to ensure that you are under maintenance.

If you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a surplus, then lift progressively heavier. When you've reached your LBM goal (Dexa scan will tell you your %), then you go back to a deficit to expose those muscles with a lower body fat %. That's pretty standard. How much and how long would be better addressed with bodybuilders.
ar9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
MontanaAardvark
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MontanaAardvark
WOE: Keto
Start Date: Jan 2015
I just want to say I admire your tenacity, Sheepdog.

I've been doing it only for one month with zero weight loss and I'm frustrated. To be at one year must take epic tenacity.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
So after alot of weight loss traditionally just counting cals I got stuck Dec before last. So I went to lower carbs for couple months, then CKD for about 11 months with intermittant fasting 18/6 a day, and now LCHF last 6 weeks in desperation. I'm 40, male, 155lbs, and around 14% body fat. I work out 5 to 6 days a week on weights, some minor slow pathed walking for "cardio". I rest well and drink lots of water.

I'm eating less than 30 net carbs a day, often around 15, almost entirely green fiberous veggies (cabbage, greens, spinich). Even then i try not to play with too much fiber in the day, particularly anythign questionable like Carbquik. My fats are mostly coconut oil, animal fat from fatty meats, and minor about of nuts, avocados. Ive cut out most of the dairy to help, but hasnt. Macros are sitting at around 70% fat a day, 25% or more protein, and the carbs mentioned.

I'm not using splenda related products, granular sweeters, spices with maltodextrin, or most other sources of hidden carbs. I'm really frustrated, but trying to beleive in the research, the success stories etc.

I dont know what to do next. I've tried the fat fast a couple of times, seen no difference. I tried everything I can think of and running out of hope. I'm looking for fringe suggestions, Ive googled the heck out of everything keto, reddit, Stephanie Persons, all the atkins books. I'm stuck, bad, and I dont know how to progress. Please please help
MontanaAardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Bob, sorry you have not had the results you were hoping for. Any chance we could help?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dae'Lynn
Stats: 186/122 from size 18 to size 4
WOE: Atkins Maintenance 40g-100g depending on appetite
Start Date: 02/02/02 reached goal 05/22/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Your body is telling you something- you don't need to lose anymore. I am a 5'7" 48 year old woman and even I have 133 lbs of lean body mass according to one of those dunk tests. Perhaps you should have some real bodyfat testing done to see just how much body fat you have.

I believe a LC, nutrient-dense diet will eventually bring the average person to their correct weight. That may be a loss or a gain. I think it is a rare person that can cause themselves to become underweight eating LC (unless they severly resrict calories, then it is a calorie-restriction diet, not an LC diet).
You hit it right on the nail! I hope people will listen to this because the point you bring up is so true! I might be short but my body was telling me 122 pounds was the correct weight for me. I see so many people struggle to get off those last 10 pounds. Then I think, 'maybe they already lost those last ten pounds and they're at their correct weight.' Sometimes I think that's why the last 10 is so difficult to get off-because they've already hit their correct weight but just won't believe it.
Dae'Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
sheepdog
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar9179 View Post
I second a bodybuilding forum. Sounds like you want to cut, which is a calorie deficit...plain and simple. LC is just one way to achieve a deficit. When you have little to lose and don't see progress, use a digital scale to weight everything you eat and a food tracker to ensure that you are under maintenance.

If you want to build muscle, you need to eat at a surplus, then lift progressively heavier. When you've reached your LBM goal (Dexa scan will tell you your %), then you go back to a deficit to expose those muscles with a lower body fat %. That's pretty standard. How much and how long would be better addressed with bodybuilders.
Pretty much, trying to get those elusive 6 pack abs. I do weigh everything and try to do keto at a deficit. However Ive decided to go SKD and high fat (before I was only moderate fat). I'll read some BB forums to try to learn more, thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #16
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post

I think you may be at a good weight for you. I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and a woman. If I was at 155, I would look slim. I haven't been that low since I was 38. I am now 58. Why do you want to be skinny? Just continue lifting weights and your body will improve with time.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
ph19250
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ph19250
Stats: 2005/200.5/160
WOE: Low carb / keto
Start Date: Feb .2015
Carolyn I too am 58 and 5'4''. I am currently at 200.5 lbs and want to get to around 150. I've never been thin but like myself a lot better at 150-160! Usually with a low carb diet the weight comes off easy but since menopause, I can't seem to lose at all!. I've been keeping my carbs around 20 per day and my keto stix have been in the trace to med. range. I've lost 4 lbs in almost 3 weeks. What am I doing wrong? I don't exercise due to foot problems. Can't walk too much or jump around!
ph19250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
JudiM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudiM
Stats: 199/143/139 goal/3/3/13 156//1167 in 7/1014
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 10, 2011
Don't give up. You'll be so angry with yourself in 6 months if you do. This works believe me. I lost 60 lbs I still come here because 2 yrs ago I had a stroke and chose comfort food for meals and gained 30 lbs. I've lost 10 in the last 6 wks. Power through!
JudiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
JudiM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudiM
Stats: 199/143/139 goal/3/3/13 156//1167 in 7/1014
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 10, 2011
I'm a big exercise advocate, I used to be a runner. But I know from experience weightloss is more about food than exercise.
JudiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #20
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph19250 View Post
Carolyn I too am 58 and 5'4''. I am currently at 200.5 lbs and want to get to around 150. I've never been thin but like myself a lot better at 150-160! Usually with a low carb diet the weight comes off easy but since menopause, I can't seem to lose at all!. I've been keeping my carbs around 20 per day and my keto stix have been in the trace to med. range. I've lost 4 lbs in almost 3 weeks. What am I doing wrong? I don't exercise due to foot problems. Can't walk too much or jump around!
I do not know the answer. I think it is just being past menopause. I have not lost anything in over a year, yet I eat very strict. I do know that vegetables and fruit make me gain weight. When I eat those, I can gain 5 pounds and then it takes me a month to lose the 5 pounds. Years ago, I did weight watchers. I stalled on it also. I think my body just likes me to be fat. I do know that genetics also plays a big part in our weight. My family is fat and I am fat. I will still eat very low carb, however, because I am doing it for my health. I do feel so much better eating this way. I am in a smaller size now, though, than when I was eating high carb and weighed less. So we just do what we can. My husband lost 67 pounds eating low carb and is a good weight for him. I lost 30 and stalled.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #21
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph19250 View Post
You've lost over a pound a week. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it is a very good rate of loss. Keep up the good work.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #22
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Have ya'll tried an egg fast?
I was at induction level and in ketosis for almost 2 mos and lost and gained the same 3 or 4 lbs. DH went out of town, I went on egg fast, his stay was extended, and before I knew it, I'd been on the ef for 8 days.
I don't think I'd have been able to plan to stay on it for 8 days, but as it turned out it was easy, with nobody else to have to think about feeding. I just did it for 3 days, he called and said he'd probably be home in a day or two, I did it for 2 more days, next thing I knew it had been 8 days and I'd lost 6.8 lbs!
Think I'll try it again!
But that was month and a half ago. Wouldn't want to lose almost a lb a day steadily.

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana

Last edited by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters; 03-29-2015 at 01:56 PM..
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #23
MerryKate
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 219/207.6/175
WOE: HFLC/ADF
Start Date: January 2017
Mrs. Brown, did the weight stay off when you went back to "regular" NK? I had pretty good success on the egg fast, but when I went back to NK I went back to my usual monthly cycle of down 5 lbs., up 5 lbs.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote