Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
Does Anyone Else Freeze at Bedtime?

My husband has been LCHF since the last week of December, I've been since mid November. We are freezing at bedtime! What's going on? We've added comforters, we actually huddle together, the worst part is our feet.

And then usually around 2:00 I wake up roasting (not a hot flash). I toss off my top comforter, conk back out and I'm fine until the next night.

We are both treated for hypothyroid but I think we're pretty well dialed in, I'm really more curious about the mechanics and if this is permanent?
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
lowcarbella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
this has always happened to me all the time,I never related it to LCHF
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
Mimosa23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 228/177/150
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: IF/LCHF start: June 2016
I get this occasionally. Actually through keto I tend to be warmer! Sometimes I wake up at night positively toasty, which is a nice change from always being cold. Since I really started focusing on my macros, I seem to be warmer than before. It's as if my metabolism started functioning properly! (I know this is nonsense, but that is how it feels)

female, 41 y/o, 5'10"
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:45 AM   #4
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
Once winter comes, I always wear socks at night.
No connection in my mind to WOE.
I do relate to waking up mid night and being too warm, but it's not an everything night thing. When that happens it is easy to get back to sleep.

Last edited by Patience; 01-30-2015 at 04:50 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

I've always been the warm one. Even before my hypothyroidism was treated I was never cold (one of the reasons why I hadn't been treated until six or so months ago, I had many of the symptoms, but NOT coldness).

Now I used to have restless leg syndrome at bedtime, that went away with the various hormones I'm on.

Our macros are working for us, weight and/or inches are slowly coming off with no hunger or energy drops and depression continuing to be alleviated. I have read of a few other people who have cold hands/feet in ketosis.

I was stewing over this last night ... if you think about it, it only stands to reason that a diet that influences neurochemistry as much as the ketogenic diet does could have an impact on the HPTA axis. One of the normal signals to our body that it's "bedtime" is a drop in basal temperature.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Avocat, I get cold if I don't eat enough fat and salt/potassium salt, and if I don't drink enough water. Also, I have to move enough, and take care of my posture, so there aren't any "kinks" to block whatever needs to flow. Sometimes, in my thriftiness, I keep the room too cold, too. So, am working on maintaining minimum needed room temperature, while keeping thriftiness.

I wear long underwear, two pairs of socks, a fleece jacket, and a scarf, so usually am all right with the room at 64 in the day. I set the sleeping temperature at 57.

For me, it is age-related, as best I can guess. My neighbors say the same things.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Avocat, I get cold if I don't eat enough fat and salt/potassium salt, and if I don't drink enough water. Also, I have to move enough, and take care of my posture, so there aren't any "kinks" to block whatever needs to flow. Sometimes, in my thriftiness, I keep the room too cold, too. So, am working on maintaining minimum needed room temperature, while keeping thriftiness.

I wear long underwear, two pairs of socks, a fleece jacket, and a scarf, so usually am all right with the room at 64 in the day. I set the sleeping temperature at 57.

For me, it is age-related, as best I can guess. My neighbors say the same things.
Well, there is something that slipped my mind ... my husband was on vacation, and we treated ourselves to a bottle of vodka and LC mixer. Last night no drinks and we were much warmer. Everyone says alcohol and keto don't mix

Thrifty over here too, house is at 60 days, 58 nights. As I said, cold has never been my problem. I'm a stay at home person and all I wear is sweatpants and a hoodie when I'm staying home (and cats, they pile on when I sit still too long), a whole lot less at night

Truthfully, I'm just intensely curious about the mechanics behind what's happening with how our bodies operate on this way of eating versus glucose burning. I need to do some more reading but if I can't find it in the library for epub loan I'm probably not reading it.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Fitforever
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitforever
Stats: 5'10", 140 lbs - at optimum weight
WOE: Low Carb Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: January 2014
I have a low body fat percentage and do a lot of IM fasting to complement my Keto diet and lifestyle. My feet can be very cold at night so my solution was a heating blanket and it worked. My feet warm up quickly and I'm asleep in 10 minutes for 8-10 hours.
Fitforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocat View Post
My husband has been LCHF since the last week of December, I've been since mid November. We are freezing at bedtime! What's going on? We've added comforters, we actually huddle together, the worst part is our feet.

And then usually around 2:00 I wake up roasting (not a hot flash). I toss off my top comforter, conk back out and I'm fine until the next night.

We are both treated for hypothyroid but I think we're pretty well dialed in, I'm really more curious about the mechanics and if this is permanent?
I have had this problem even before LCHF eating. I attribute it to getting older. Also my husband and I have lost some of our padding since eating this way. I am almost 58 and still have hot flashes occasionally. I still cannot believe that I can be having a hot flash and yet my feet will be cold. My husband has always had a tendency to be cold. He always has an extra blanket on his side of the bed.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
synger
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 301
WOE: IF, Calorie/carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I cannot fall asleep until my feet are warm. I've tried an electric blanket (nice but not localized enough) and a hot water bottle (nice but not hot enough). For Christmas, Santa put in my stocking a set of Hot Booties... slippers filled with linseed and lavender, that you microwave for a minute. Put them on my feet before bed, and by the time I'm ready to fall asleep my feet are nice and toasty and I can slip them off. Wonderful!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
Faia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
Check out your drugs (if any) as well. I am currently on 3 prescriptions that list "increased sensitivity to cold" as side effects.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote