Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
heartburn?

I have been suffering with some pretty bad heartburn for the last two weeks. It is not something I usually deal with so I am wondering if it might be diet related. I am not eating anything too different than what I have been eating for the last 6 months on this WOE.

Any ideas? Zantac helps but I hate to take meds every day for this.
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Hmm that's odd. I can't think of why it would start if nothing else has changed. Could it be something besides heartburn? You may want to go see your doctor just to be safe.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Zantac does make it go away, so I am almost 100% sure it is heartburn. I no longer have a gall bladder, so I know that is not the reason. It is painful in the same place my gall bladder was though, which was my middle back right by my lower shoulder blades.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/128/goal/120
WOE: Keto/low carb high fat
Start Date: January 1, 2014
NK is a very healing WOE and taking any antacids take away from that healing:/ I suffered for a little while as well...you need to realize that heartburn and gerd are signs of low stomach acid...taking 1 TBS of Apple cider vinegar a day in water will build up your stomach acid and heal your heartburn. Taking Zantac will only keep your stomach from healing.
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
You might also try some digestive enzymes. You can get them where other supplements are sold. But pain from other areas of the body can radiate there, so if it persists, it might be a good idea to see a doctor.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Digestive enzymes are still a bandaid fix...it won't repair and heal the low stomach acid...only Apple cider vinegar or bile salts can do that and ACV is a little safer than bile salts
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
My heartburn comes from a hiatal hernia - and is alleviated by specific exercises (very easy ones!). Could this be your situation?

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Oh no sorry Bonnie those are not fun
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Drwho, enlighten me please! I take ACV every morning on an empty stomach. But, I still have low digestive acid. Is there a better way to take it? I read that taking digestives enzymes is like giving your pancreas the day off.

There is a simple test you can do to see what your acid levels are.

Acid Test

Do a simple acid test at home. This test is an economical way for you to ascertain if you have too much or too little acid in your stomach. Do this test first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else.

Method: Mix a quarter teaspoon of fresh Bicarbonate of Soda into a small glass of warm water. Swallow the contents of the glass and relax for a few minutes (Note that this test is effective only if done on an empty stomach first thing in the morning).

Home Test results: If you belch dramatically and within one minute of swallowing this mixture, it is likely you have too much acid. If it takes two to three minutes to belch, your levels of acid are probably normal. If it takes longer than five or six minutes to belch, it is very likely that you have lower than normal levels of stomach acid.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Drwho, enlighten me please! I take ACV every morning on an empty stomach. But, I still have low digestive acid. Is there a better way to take it? I read that taking digestives enzymes is like giving your pancreas the day off.

There is a simple test you can do to see what your acid levels are.

Acid Test

Do a simple acid test at home. This test is an economical way for you to ascertain if you have too much or too little acid in your stomach. Do this test first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else.

Method: Mix a quarter teaspoon of fresh Bicarbonate of Soda into a small glass of warm water. Swallow the contents of the glass and relax for a few minutes (Note that this test is effective only if done on an empty stomach first thing in the morning).

Home Test results: If you belch dramatically and within one minute of swallowing this mixture, it is likely you have too much acid. If it takes two to three minutes to belch, your levels of acid are probably normal. If it takes longer than five or six minutes to belch, it is very likely that you have lower than normal levels of stomach acid.
I totally have to try this soon. Probably on the weekend, so I can take my time about it. I'm curious about what result I will get.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
frteach
Senior LCF Member

So I tried the test this morning and no belch at all! My baking soda wasn't very new so I am going to pick up a new box and try again. I could feel some pressure but never burped at all. Maybe there is something to this.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, took me ten minutes. Still hoping DrWho will tell us more about the ACV. I know the Bragg's suggest one teaspoon three times a day. Being me, I do one tablespoon in the morning. I wonder if you take it before you eat, like a digestive enzyme.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
Old 11-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

You need to take 1 tablespoon in water right before meals...and if you stomach acid is really low it may take a few weeks to bring the acid up...hope that helps
Old 11-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Second test with fresh baking soda- no belch at all! Apparently I have no stomach acid to speak of. Bought some ACV and am starting today. I am hopeful this will make a difference, even if it takes a while. I'm going to start with a tsp before each meal in some water and then hopefully build up from there. I don't mind the taste too much. I just have to remember to drink it, which when you are a teacher and get all of 22 minutes for lunch is a challenge!

Last edited by frteach; 11-21-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks DrWho! It does. I have been taking a digestive enzyme so, I'll switch it up a bit. Frteach, I don't mind the taste at all. But then I am putting it in water with some arginine. I don't think it'll be too hard to shoot it though.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrwhoTardisRose View Post
Digestive enzymes are still a bandaid fix...it won't repair and heal the low stomach acid...only Apple cider vinegar or bile salts can do that and ACV is a little safer than bile salts
I tried the apple cider vinegar because I have been having some heartburn lately. I had no idea why it would suddenly start. Also my stomach has been growling a lot even after eating. The apple cider vinegar works like a dream. Thanks for the info.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pina
I also experienced heartburn for a few nights during my first week on Keto.(also have no gall bladder, if that's relevant) It gave me a fright but settled with some Zantac. I'm thinking it was something to do with the fat intake.
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

There is a lot of info out there for people with no gallbladder doing this WOE and not having any negative effects...I would ck out Jimmy Moores livin la vida low carb website...I think he had a podcast about that...you might have to do a search glad so many of you have found relief with the ACV....I use to take 1 tablespoon in about 2 ounces in water with a bit of stevia right before meals...now that I have healed my stomach acid I only take 1 tablespoon once a day in the morning
Old 11-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
Mr_Geiri
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/165/170
Start Date: December 2013
LC is good in this area since carbohydrates fuel heart burn.

My daily heartburn disappeared after few days on this diet. Haven't had a single episode in the past year.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #20
frteach
Senior LCF Member

I wonder if the water I sip all day is a factor in this. Could it be diluting my stomach acid too much? I know drinking water is good and I am not going to stop. Just trying to figure out why this has started after almost 9 months of LC.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
LC is good in this area since carbohydrates fuel heart burn.

My daily heartburn disappeared after few days on this diet. Haven't had a single episode in the past year.
I have been eating this way almost 2 years with no heartburn, but I had some heartburn a couple of weeks ago and I could not figure out why. My diet has not changed. The vinegar in water fixed it.
Carolyn
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #22
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I use to suffer terribly from heartburn. I was buying the multi packs of tums from costco. Not to mention the extra strength zantac I was taking.

When I went low carb, it got better but I still had it. It wasn't until I toughed it out for a couple of weeks with no o.t.c. meds before it finally went away. I do believe it was a case of low stomach acid being kept low due to the meds.

Message is - don't take otc meds.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #23
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tried the vinegar. Don't drink it straight. Lesson learned. I started with a diluted version this morning.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Yes please do not take it straight...it will harm your teeth...I dilute in a small amount of water with a few drops of stevia and chug it..then rinse mouth after
Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
snowangel9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrwhoTardisRose View Post
Yes please do not take it straight...it will harm your teeth...I dilute in a small amount of water with a few drops of stevia and chug it..then rinse mouth after
Oh, now you tell me! It actually was my throat. But I get what you're saying about the acidity. Thanks again for the info!!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I use to suffer terribly from heartburn. I was buying the multi packs of tums from costco. Not to mention the extra strength zantac I was taking.

When I went low carb, it got better but I still had it. It wasn't until I toughed it out for a couple of weeks with no o.t.c. meds before it finally went away. I do believe it was a case of low stomach acid being kept low due to the meds.

Message is - don't take otc meds.
I agree, not to mention that those meds can cause kidney stones.
Carolyn
Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Paula 67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Paula 67
Stats: 280/249/174
WOE: Primal/NK
Start Date: Primal September 24, 2010, NK Nov 29, 2014
I take NOW super enzymes before meals. They includes enzymes, and bile salts. Is there a reason why I shouldn't be taking these?

I read in the "paleo solution" that people without gall bladders are not fully digesting their food and therefore not receiving all of the nutrition. The above is recommended to improve digestion.
Paula 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #28
DrwhoTardisRose
Senior LCF Member

Bile salts are good short term but once you have built up your stomach acid there is not a need for it...I use to do enzymes but, it was not addressing my stomach acid issue and was only helpful in the beginning.