Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #61
rdzins
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rdzins
Relion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay View Post
Any of you lovelies know anything about blood glucose test strips? I'd like to play around and see how things effect my BG. My problem right now is the cost. Wows! Is there a cheaper way of getting them without a prescription?
If you have access to a Wal mart they carry a meter called relion, and the strips for it, the meter is 16 dollars at my local walmart and the strips are 9.00 for 50 of them, I have been able to learn ALOT from using this, I test 1/2 hour 1 hour 1.5 hours and 2 hours after I have eaten. I found that many foods that are recommended on a ketogenic diet do not work for me, one of them has been dairy, cream and full fat yogurt, as soon as I cut them out of my diet I lost 45 pounds in about 4 months. I do have butter which does not seem to effect me at all as well as some hard cheeses.

You can learn alot from a glucose meter, I know I did and just remember everyone is different and will react differently to different foods. Keep an open mind and good luck!
rdzins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #62
AshleyDillo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyDillo
Stats: 361/161/162.4/150 (highest/lowest/current/goal)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: RnY 7/7/2009 (@320 lbs) LCHF 7/12/2014 (@220 lbs)
My father is my keto partner-in-crime. After seeing my success in such a short amount of time, he was convinced to give it a try. He has been watching his carbs and not shying away from the fat. He says he is still hungry all the time and misses bread. But today he went for a doctor's checkup and the only thing that showed up of any concern in was ketones. He isn't diabetic, so it wasn't an issue. He has lost about 10 pounds in a month and a half and his doctor cut off one of his blood pressure meds. In fact, his blood pressure was registering kinda low (102/54!). Everything else in bloodwork was perfect. My dad is 72 years old and I think this finally made him believe in the science behind eating like this!
AshleyDillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #63
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 235 / 212 / 150
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/1/2015
I have a question for you all ...

How much protein is too little?

Some info: I'm 5 4", 59 yo, sedentary. Current weight is 222, but would like to be 145. I had been aiming for 75 grams of protein a day, but in order to keep to keep my macros in line, that means 125 grams of fat. I'm eating within a 6 hour window. Lunch around 1 PM, dinner around 6.

My problem ... it's just too much food! I generally get about 55 grams of protein a day.

Do you all think that's ok?

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #64
AshleyDillo
Senior LCF Member

I am of the opinion that the grams are the only thing that matters, not a percentage when it comes to the macros. Use your carb macro as a ceiling, your fat macro as a ceiling, and aim hit your protein target.

If you don't get enough protein to support your lean body mass (your muscles, organs, bones, everything that isn't excess fat) your body will break down your muscles. I used the ankerl keto calculator and it calculated your lean body mass at 114 lbs. I use 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass for sedentary calculations and that is 91g of protein.

The keto diet was originally not designed for weight loss..it was for the health purposes of eating high fat (seizures, etc). While you will excrete the excess ketones that your body makes from eating more fat than your body will use, weight loss is achieved when the fat is lower because your body, in the absence of carbs, will use your body fat stores to create these ketones for energy.

So, if you can bump your protein up to not lose lean body mass and only add fats to feel full and satisfied by what you eat, if you can cut your carbs as close to zero as possible, you should maximize your fat loss.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #65
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! Great info. I looked at the Keto calculator one time, and I couldn't figure out what it was trying to tell me. Or ... maybe I just didn't believe it.

Fran
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #66
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
I have a question for you all ...

How much protein is too little?

Some info: I'm 5 4", 59 yo, sedentary. Current weight is 222, but would like to be 145. I had been aiming for 75 grams of protein a day, but in order to keep to keep my macros in line, that means 125 grams of fat. I'm eating within a 6 hour window. Lunch around 1 PM, dinner around 6.

My problem ... it's just too much food! I generally get about 55 grams of protein a day.

Do you all think that's ok?

Fran
I eat less than 40 grams of protein a day. I have been doing this for 2 years and have not noticed any muscle loss. In fact I feel stronger than when I started. If I eat more protein, I actually gain weight. I read an article today about a woman who has PKU. She can only eat 10 grams of protein a day. She has been eating this way her whole life. Of course, she has to eat vegan. I realize that that is too little, but she is surviving. I am not sure that we need as much protein as the experts recommend.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #67
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
Start Date: 9/2/2013
TGIF NKers. It's going to be an interesting few days for me. I'm babysitting my granddaughters (3 & 7) for 6 days while their parents are at an out of town wedding. Finding meals to please all is already frustrating and we are only on day 2. My obsessive tracking is suffering too since I've lost any free time and excess energy. How does a 3 y.o. get so much energy on so little food? Though this kid would live off of bacon (and mac n cheese) if allowed.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #68
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Ugh! Last night had the dreaded hole. You know the one. You've eaten dinner and are full and yet there is still this hole in your stomach that just needs to be filled. Finally caved and ate some peanut butter. I hate that hole! Scale didn't punish me, but it should have. I am in my can't lose weeks right now anyway, where I pretty much bounce up and down with the same pound over and over, never reaching a new low but never getting too high either. Frustrating but that is my pattern and I have to learn to accept it.
I think I am done rambling now. It's one of those mornings too. Woke up grumpy and of course a sweet, well intentioned student brought me a chocolate scone that is sitting on my desk taunting me!
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #69
AnnetteW
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/166/138 (5'5", 54 yrs)
WOE: keto
Start Date: 11/20/2017
Downloaded "Keto Clarity" last night and started reading. Day 4 of getting back on track and getting carbs out. I still feel fine so I know that lo-carb flu hasn't hit yet. Only carbs in the past few days, other than veggies, has been a small serving of almonds each day. I'd prefer to not have to drop them, they are an easy snack and my body likes them for regularity and such.

I did get brave and read through my journal, and now I'm slapping myself silly.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Anyone here have sleep apnia. I saw a web sight that clamed it ofton got beter when
you were on a low carb diet not because you lost weight but just because you didn't eat carbs. Anyone notice any difference before you lost weight. By the way this is a yes or no question.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #71
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
Start Date: 9/2/2013
No
Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #72
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Oh I use a cpap etc. But the ketogenic diet has other applications besides weight loss noticeably in the treatment of epilepsy. So I was wondering if it made any impact on sleep apnia just by itself not from any resulting weight loss.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #73
msmi1970
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msmi1970
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. About 10 weeks into LCHF. Doing great so far.

Would like to know whether people count calories whilst doing LCHF? or whether one should just eat whenever they are hungry even if it means going pass their TDEE?

Thanks
msmi1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #74
AnnetteW
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/166/138 (5'5", 54 yrs)
WOE: keto
Start Date: 11/20/2017
Found a few ketone strips I still had and decided to try one this afternoon. I'm happy to report a 1.1 on the meter, I didn't quite know what to expect. It's not a lot, but it's something for Day 5. Yea, yea...I know it's probably all dietary fat burning at this time, but it's still there.

I'm now already contemplating the Ketonix meter.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #75
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I use CPAP, and no, ketogenic diet did not get me off CPAP. It has made my health immensely better, but it will not cure the narrow airway and receded jaw I was born with.

SOME people are able to get off CPAP when losing weight but there are no guarantees. Using CPAP has certainly made my weight loss easier. When your body is bathed in stress hormones all night from lack of oxygen, cortisol, leptin, ghrelin, and insulin will work against your weight loss attempts.

Bottom line: keep using your CPAP.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #76
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Annette, good to 'see' you!

Still struggling with weight gain. It is very frustrating. I am beginning to think it may be a case of intolerance to nuts and if not that, dairy. I am eliminating the nuts entirely. I have also been suffering with a cranky hip. I am thinking that if the weight recedes and the hip gets better with the elimination, I will have my answer. Really hoping I don't have to go down the dairy elimination road....

Hope everyone has a wonderful keto day full of energy, clarity of mind, and wonderful food to eat!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #77
Mufflana
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mufflana
Stats: 325/210/160
WOE: Lchf/NK/EF and FF
Start Date: October 2014 (previously Atkins 72)
Hi, newish here too but enjoying this woe. Has taken years but am down from over 300 lbs to 210, lost and felt best on lc but then relapsed and put about 20ls back on in a flash.....soo, back and at it! Keeping fats high and protein around 20% intake, feeling good but, despite the fats, constipated!!!! Sorry if TMI but would appreciate any tips anyone has, II drink loads of water and herb teas so don't think that's delaying things!!!
Mufflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #78
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Have you tried coconut oil or magnesium and lastly, glucomannen powder (or shiratki noodles)?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #79
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Hi all!
After a crazy day yesterday where I had little time to eat so I gorged on dinner (steak and asparagus), I ended up having almost a fast day today. I just wasn't hungry so I ate some slices of ham for lunch and a little spaghetti squash for dinner. My calorie count came out at about 500 for the day. I'm curious to see if this effects the scale at all.
I've never really eaten so little while on this woe.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #80
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/166.6/145
WOE: VLC/Keto
Start Date: Restart 11/2/2017
Hi everyone!

I lost 3.4 lbs this week, so I'm happy with that. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what foods and combos are working for me or not. I had made a big batch of bulletproof ice cream a couple of weeks ago and it should be 100% keto, but I gain weight after I eat it. Maybe because I used xylitol? I also gain after the days I have bulletproof hot chocolate in the morning. These make me wonder if it's because the calories are so much higher on those days even though all the experts say calories don't matter if macros are right. Hmmm.

My other win for the week was going out to eat twice, including an epic brunch buffet today.... And staying 100% on track both times!

Mufflana ~ I agree with clackley. I've noticed a lot less constipation since adding more magnesium. I use the Natural Calm drink at night and still take two tablets each morning. Getting enough of the healthy fats (coconut oil, MCT Oil, grass fed butter) should help also.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #81
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmi1970 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. About 10 weeks into LCHF. Doing great so far.

Would like to know whether people count calories whilst doing LCHF? or whether one should just eat whenever they are hungry even if it means going pass their TDEE?

Thanks

I'm just in my third week, so hopefully others will also chime in on your question.

I think the trick is being able to tell if you are really experiencing hunger. At least for me, that is the case.

I don't really count calories, I track macros, but really, it works out to the same thing. For me, I limit my eating to 6 hours a day about noon to 6 pm. But, that is just me! I eat nothing after dinner, because I would eat and eat and eat, whether I was hungry or not.

However, I've found that I'm never "hungry". So exceeding macros or calories isn't really an issue for me.

Fran
Old 11-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #82
Mufflana
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mufflana
Stats: 325/210/160
WOE: Lchf/NK/EF and FF
Start Date: October 2014 (previously Atkins 72)
Thanks....

Clackley and Rosebud, will try magnesium 😃
Mufflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #83
frteach
Senior LCF Member

UGH! so apparently fasting is not something my body enjoys. I am up 2 pounds today for no apparent reason. It's probably water but still how do you eat very little in a day and gain 2 pounds? I didn't even eat 2 pounds worth of food!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #84
Swat70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swat70
Stats: 220/207/170
WOE: high fat, moderate protein, low carb
Start Date: 10/28/14
Hi- question for experienced people...

so....I was doing really well. I was in ketosis and eating alot of fat, actually feeling satisfied and not tempted to stray for the first time in my life! I made it past halloween and my kids still have candy laying around which I am so surprised I have not once had to struggle with wanting to eat it. Last night DH ordered pizza for the kids and a salad for me. I got home from work and put the blue cheese dressing on from the restaurant (...many of you probably already know where this is going). I wake up and no ketones at all, check the label and HFCS- ugh So now I am drinking BPC and feeling very nauseous, guessing I am going back into ketosis based on how I felt last week before the fog lifted. Anyway- to my question, when you are on this diet long term and accidentally go over on carbs or slip up like I did, do you go through the whole feeling awful thing everytime? or does your body eventually adjust and become able to switch back and forth without too much distress?
Anyone have a good dressing recipe? I have been mainly just using good olive oil or mac nut oil, which is actually quite tasty...kicking myself for not paying closer attention.
Swat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #85
kay9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/180/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
My last off plan meal was this past NYE (went all out) and did not suffer any symptoms the next day and have been on plan since. Took about a week to recover scale wise.

EDIT: oops realized that this the NK sub-forum.

Last edited by kay9; 11-10-2014 at 09:37 AM..
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #86
AshleyDillo
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat70 View Post
so....I was doing really well. I was in ketosis and eating alot of fat, actually feeling satisfied and not tempted to stray for the first time in my life! I made it past halloween and my kids still have candy laying around which I am so surprised I have not once had to struggle with wanting to eat it. Last night DH ordered pizza for the kids and a salad for me. I got home from work and put the blue cheese dressing on from the restaurant (...many of you probably already know where this is going). I wake up and no ketones at all, check the label and HFCS- ugh So now I am drinking BPC and feeling very nauseous, guessing I am going back into ketosis based on how I felt last week before the fog lifted. Anyway- to my question, when you are on this diet long term and accidentally go over on carbs or slip up like I did, do you go through the whole feeling awful thing everytime? or does your body eventually adjust and become able to switch back and forth without too much distress?
Anyone have a good dressing recipe? I have been mainly just using good olive oil or mac nut oil, which is actually quite tasty...kicking myself for not paying closer attention.
I can't say that I ever suffered keto-flu..I'm not sure if I just missed it and got adapted quickly, but my body's reaction to carbs is worse than when I start restricting them. I really don't feel any different aside from cravings and increased appetite when coming off of eating more carbs than I normally would.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #87
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I think the answer to the question about reactions to higher. Arbs is that it is highly variable.

I do think there are 2 things at play that make the difference. One is where you started from in terms of your individual metabolism and how long you have been eating on plan.

If you are young with less than 20 or 30lbs. to lose, you probably have more 'flexibility' and will suffer less with occasional off plan foods. If you have a history of weight problems and chronic 'dieting', you will likely have stronger reactions. I think this is an indication of carb tolerances.

I also think that long term compliance to a ketogenic diet brings about better tolerance - to a certain degree.

Just my opinion....

We are butter together!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #88
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Some of you have commented about gaining weight based on 1 meal or 1 day of eating, but I don't think that's accurate. Your weight naturally fluctuates from day to day and I don't think you do yourself any favor by weighing more that once per week. JMO
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #89
msmi1970
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msmi1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post

I'm just in my third week, so hopefully others will also chime in on your question.

I think the trick is being able to tell if you are really experiencing hunger. At least for me, that is the case.

I don't really count calories, I track macros, but really, it works out to the same thing. For me, I limit my eating to 6 hours a day about noon to 6 pm. But, that is just me! I eat nothing after dinner, because I would eat and eat and eat, whether I was hungry or not.

However, I've found that I'm never "hungry". So exceeding macros or calories isn't really an issue for me.

Fran
Thanks for the feedback Fran

i started off well. good weight loss, sugar & cholesterol control etc. thought i got lots of info off the Net. obviously not enough...

i too did not feel hungry. dropped to 2 meals a day. occasionally, less than 1000cals consumed. when i started showing ketone levels of 5, which i thought was "starvation ketosis",it got me worried & i started to eat more/count calories and i screwed up as i went back to 3 meals a day and began to get hunger pangs.

although i remain in ketosis, weight loss has shuddered to a halt in the last 4 weeks. all because i started counting calories. just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience..

i am back to "eat when hungry", got more in depth info off the Net and finally read Keto Clarity..also about 1/3 through Drs.Phinney/Volek's book. this time, i am going to rejoice if my ketones hit 5 again.

Mo
msmi1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #90
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmi1970 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Fran

i too did not feel hungry. dropped to 2 meals a day. occasionally, less than 1000cals consumed. when i started showing ketone levels of 5, which i thought was "starvation ketosis",it got me worried & i started to eat more/count calories and i screwed up as i went back to 3 meals a day and began to get hunger pangs.

i am back to "eat when hungry", got more in depth info off the Net and finally read Keto Clarity..also about 1/3 through Drs.Phinney/Volek's book. this time, i am going to rejoice if my ketones hit 5 again.

Mo
Hi Mo,

My ketones (via blood meter) usually range at 1.5-2 in the morning and over 5 in the evening.

I never worry about starvation. I figure my body could pretty much feed off itself for a good long while

Fran