Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #31
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedamay View Post
Hi all!

I'm new here and thought I'd jump right in and join you crazy butter eaters.

Hubby cooks the bacon but he want home for dinner tonight, so I decided to cook it myself. Bad idea.

It. Was. Black.

I think it would be appropriate to take a moment of silence in memory of some potentially fabulous pork.
I also bake bacon (375* 20-25 min), but if that's hubby's job I understand keeping the status quo.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #32
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
Hi there, I hope it's ok if I join your group for November.
I've been low carb for over 3 years and struggling with stalls that last for months on end. Every day is a new day! I'm not giving up, this is for life.
Zogo I'm sorry you are struggling with stalls. I always try to remember the wise words of others to look at stalls as practicing maintenance and to concentrate on the health benefits. I know it's still frustrating, but it sure beats how eating the SAD way feels, right? Good for you for not giving up. We're all in this together.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #33
lazy girl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
Hi there, I hope it's ok if I join your group for November.
I've been low carb for over 3 years and struggling with stalls that last for months on end. Every day is a new day! I'm not giving up, this is for life.
zogo, I also understand the frustration of a stall. It seems to be the universal problem for nearly all low carbers. There are some "tricks" that some people use to stall the stall and you may have tried them all, but keep reading and stay with your program because one day, the pounds will begin to recede.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #34
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Hi all!

Hubby cooks the bacon but he want home for dinner tonight, so I decided to cook it myself. Bad idea.

It. Was. Black.

I think it would be appropriate to take a moment of silence in memory of some potentially fabulous pork.
You can also microwave bacon. Put it between paper towels so the grease doesn't splatter everywhere. Cook 5 pieces for about 3 1/2 min on 70% power. Comes out crisp and wonderful every time!
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #35
zogo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zogo
Stats: 193/186/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/20/11
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Keeping track of everything has helped me realize some places I can improve my diet. I've been trying to cut back on fat in and increase protein over the last couple months. I must say, I do feel better.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #36
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Hi all!

It. Was. Black.

tweedamay! I'm so glad you're here because your post made me laugh out loud. I'm a sucker for funny....

Note to self....don't drink anything while reading tweedamay's posts....

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Hey Deb.....thinking about you. Hoping your foot is healing and not giving you too much trouble.

I'm in the process of scheduling my surgery. Unfortunately, it'll affect Christmas. (Wait....maybe that's not a bad idea...).

Met with a new dr yesterday. All my docs are an hour's drive away and I wanted to have one in town for those pesky issues. Right now, my pesky issue is a UTI. I have only had two in my life so I'm not experienced with the symptoms but, believe me I FIGURED. IT. OUT! Yikes! Now, I'm trying to decide if I'm having a reaction to the meds.

Bright spot: Steak for dinner!!!! Woo hoo!

Kathee
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #38
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 235 / 212 / 150
Start Date: 9/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
: I also bake bacon (375* 20-25 min), but if that's hubby's job I understand keeping the status quo.
Funny, I just showed dh how to bake bacon a month ago, and he loves it!

dh just retired (2 months ago). We are definitely still working out a new status quo. Since I work from home, I've done 90% of everything (house cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, caring for the animals, finances, etc. etc. etc.). The "deal" when he retired was that he would take over the bulk of those chores.

Last Saturday I asked what he had planned for the day (knowing that the bathroom was long overdue for a cleaning, floors needed mopping, he hadn't dusted in a week, etc). His answer "really, nothing. I did the laundry yesterday". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's really a huge learning process for both of us. He needs to learn what needs to be done regularly. I'm trying to not control things. The biggest eye opener for him is how stuff needs to get done over and over (like feeding the animals, walking the dog, cleaning cat litter ... you get the idea).

Sorry for the rant ...

Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #39
frteach
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurst_gal View Post
Funny, I just showed dh how to bake bacon a month ago, and he loves it!

dh just retired (2 months ago). We are definitely still working out a new status quo. Since I work from home, I've done 90% of everything (house cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, caring for the animals, finances, etc. etc. etc.). The "deal" when he retired was that he would take over the bulk of those chores.

Last Saturday I asked what he had planned for the day (knowing that the bathroom was long overdue for a cleaning, floors needed mopping, he hadn't dusted in a week, etc). His answer "really, nothing. I did the laundry yesterday". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's really a huge learning process for both of us. He needs to learn what needs to be done regularly. I'm trying to not control things. The biggest eye opener for him is how stuff needs to get done over and over (like feeding the animals, walking the dog, cleaning cat litter ... you get the idea).

Sorry for the rant ...

Fran
This is going to sound totally weird, so bear with me. I live with an OCD neat freak. Hubby doesn't let a day go by without cleaning something. Generally that is a good thing. However, you can never leave anything lying around because you might need it later. He will put it away and you will never find it. He will throw out things the girls leave lying around- hair accessories, toys, HW! I wish at times he could let things go just a little. He won't even leave the bottle of dish soap on the counter because it looks to cluttered. It has to be put away in the cabinet (which drives me crazy because I usually have messy hands from cooking and do not want to touch door handles like that!)

Be careful what you wish for!
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #40
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

My husband has some disabilities so I basically do everything. When he was physically able, he did so much. He worked from home and he loved to grocery shop and run errands. He liked getting out of the house and seeing people. He took care of everything outdoors and kept cars well maintained. I never had to get my own gas, he always filled up the gas tanks and got the cars washed. He however never helped with housework. Including some sort of half assed rinsing stacking he does. He will (every time) set a large plate on top of a small bowl. And clearly running a garbage disposal is not in his skill set.

I hate to admit it, but at times I resented having to do everything. I knew it my time and it was up to me to carry the load.....but I was tired and overweight and depressed and, and, and......I had a long list.

Then one day I just had enough. Since being on this woe I have a whole different outlook. I'm so thankful that I can physically do the things that need to be done. I have the energy now to do more for my family without resentment. I have such high expectations now for quality and length of life.

Gosh, sorry to ramble
Old 11-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #41
sbarr
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Wow, lots going on, so many new people. I'll have to re-read to get everything and everyone sorted out.

Love keto - even straying away for a long weekend, easy to get back on track. Taking a few days to get the ketones back up to normal levels. Hope to be back solid tomorrow or Thursday morning.

Rosebud - you hit the nail on the head with not being a slave to food during the workday. Food can become secondary to other activity!

Such a great site with people who know about so many topics.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #42
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
everybody. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm getting ready to go on my vacation and have been super busy. Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #43
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/166.6/145
WOE: VLC/Keto
Start Date: Restart 11/2/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post
This is going to sound totally weird, so bear with me. I live with an OCD neat freak. Hubby doesn't let a day go by without cleaning something. Generally that is a good thing. However, you can never leave anything lying around because you might need it later. He will put it away and you will never find it. He will throw out things the girls leave lying around- hair accessories, toys, HW! I wish at times he could let things go just a little. He won't even leave the bottle of dish soap on the counter because it looks to cluttered. It has to be put away in the cabinet (which drives me crazy because I usually have messy hands from cooking and do not want to touch door handles like that!)

It sounds like I'm exactly like your hubby. Everything has a place and darn well better be in it! For what it's worth, I appreciate how annoying it can be for others, so I feel for you. Anyway, I had to respond about the dish soap under the sink because I have the same issue as your hubby, but figured out something I can live with... I have two dispensers (stainless, so they match the sink, of course ) at the kitchen sink. I put hand soap in the soap dispenser, but put dish soap in the matching lotion dispenser so when my hands are messy, I can use whichever one I want with my arm or wrist without making a bigger mess. It's super handy, too, if I just want to wash a few things, to just put some quick on the dishcloth. I live alone (go figure!) so I never really "do dishes" but instead just wash them as I use them.

Okay, I'm rambling.... I hope everyone had an awesome day! I admit I'm having a hard time conditioning myself to not at least be aware of calories. Working on it!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #44
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Thank you for the warm welcome.

DH always bakes the bacon, too, but I figured since I only wanted a few pieces that I'd just fix them in a pan. And I totally forgot about bakin' the bacon in the nuker. Thanks for the reminder.

Bridgee'sMom - I love dachshunds and want to eat all of them. I used to have 2 of them before I traded them in for my husband. *sigh* But at least he's house broken.
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #45
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Oh, the obnoxious thing in my avatar over

<----- THERE

is my darling little Fiona. She's a cinnamon green cheeked conure. She likes to take selfies when she's drunk. *smh*
Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #46
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

And any of you OCD'ers out there are cordially invited to join me for tea. I promise I won't become annoyed if you feel desperately compelled to started cleaning up my mess of a house.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #47
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
And any of you OCD'ers out there are cordially invited to join me for tea. I promise I won't become annoyed if you feel desperately compelled to started cleaning up my mess of a house.
*LIKE*.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #48
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Any of you lovelies know anything about blood glucose test strips? I'd like to play around and see how things effect my BG. My problem right now is the cost. Wows! Is there a cheaper way of getting them without a prescription?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #49
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

about the test strips ... check out this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...ips-price.html

I've ordered the Freestyle as described, but have not received them yet.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #50
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post

I agree. Sometimes it is better to let things go a little. I read an article once about a lady who's husband had died. She said that she used to hate it when he left his socks in the middle of the room. After he died she wished that he was there to leave his socks lying around once again. Some things just are not that important.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #51
lovetoknit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #52
nspeedracer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/139.8/115 5'3''
you guys, i almost lost it on a party pizza last night.. i havent cheated at all since i started a month ago, but last night i was sure i was going to eat one. i even thought the evil thoughts of "this will only set me back a few days" i had it half way to my mouth and stopped... i had gotten two for my kids, but two of the kids fell asleep and we had to go to bed early for a court hearing this morning... so stress too. I know I gotta work on getting the kids eating better, they usually do, but last night was a late night convienence grab while at the pharmacy.
Some how I didnt eat any of the pizza. I dont know how I got the will power either...
Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #53
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeedracer View Post
you guys, i almost lost it on a party pizza last night.. i havent cheated at all since i started a month ago, but last night i was sure i was going to eat one. i even thought the evil thoughts of "this will only set me back a few days" i had it half way to my mouth and stopped... i had gotten two for my kids, but two of the kids fell asleep and we had to go to bed early for a court hearing this morning... so stress too. I know I gotta work on getting the kids eating better, they usually do, but last night was a late night convienence grab while at the pharmacy.
Some how I didnt eat any of the pizza. I dont know how I got the will power either...
That's awesome!!! Good for you!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #54
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeedracer
You're brave. I haven't been able to even bring a pizza into this house. I've made a couple of sorta faux pizzas, but nothing commercial.

And I would have peeled the top off, pitched the crust, wiped off excess sauce and crammed the cheesy goodness into my cram hole.

Speaking of pizza . . . I'd like to give this recipe a try. Momma needs the pizza. (Must have it, y'all.) Anyone have experience with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Oh my! It worked!

It worked very, very well!

It tastes great and is very easy to work with! The final pizza is just like real pizza. You wouldn't know it was low carb.

Easiest Low Carb Pizza Dough
makes 8 x 7 inch round pizza crusts @ 4.94 net carbs each

2 recipes Kevinpa's final bread flour mix (which is actually from the cake & cookie sticky, 28 net carbs)*
4 T nutritional yeast (adds 2 carbs, for yeast flavor, optional)
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (2 carbs)
1 1/2 cups Fage 2% plain unsweetened Greek yogurt (by the time you open it, the live cultures have eaten all but about 5 carbs per cup, 7 1/2)

Mix ingredients together in a mixer bowl with a spatula. Using the dough hook on speed 4 (medium), mix for 5 minutes. Check the dough. If it is crumbly, mix in a spoonful of yogurt at a time. If it is too sticky, mix in a spoonful of Carbalose flour at a time. The dough ought to resemble stiff play-doh and not stick to your hands. Knead it in your hands a few times and make a ball shape. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and sit on the counter for an hour or two. This gives the dough time to relax so you can work with it.

Preheat oven to 425.

Divide dough into 8 parts. Keep the dough wrapped in plastic when not in use so they don't dry out. Cover a cookie sheet with nonstick foil. Put 2 dough balls on the cookie sheet and press them down and work them until they are 7 inch circles. They'll be pretty thin but will puff up while baking. Top as desired and bake 8-10 minutes.

(My dough took the ingredients listed- not more or less. I brushed my crusts with garlic butter, topped with shredded pizza cheese blend, homemade seasoned & chopped Philly cheesesteak meat and provolone cheese slice on top. They took 10 minutes to bake).

*Kevinpa's final bread flour mix (14 carbs)

1/2 cup Carbalose (60 grams by weight)
1/4 cup WPI 5000 (30 grams, already adjusted for the New WPI)
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1.5 Tbs almond flour
1.5 Tbs Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260 (or resistant wheat starch 75)
.5 tsp guar gum (my mod for 1.25 t Not/Sugar, xanthan gum would be fine too)

Picture later... my husband has the camera.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #55
Rosebud5t
Senior LCF Member

I agree, pizza toppings are fair game! I just made a little snack "pizza"... I tooke two of the big pepperoni slices and in between our a big slice of mozzarella and some chopped green olives. It was fatty and delicious!

I haven't tried that pizza recipe above, I've always tried to stay away from some of the flour alternatives just because I don't know much about them. I've made a pan pizza before, using an egg and shredded cheese mixture. The texture is off, but it's more like a casserole so it worked out well. Yum!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #56
phurst_gal
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud5t View Post
I agree, pizza toppings are fair game! I just made a little snack "pizza"... I tooke two of the big pepperoni slices and in between our a big slice of mozzarella and some chopped green olives. It was fatty and delicious!
Perfect! i'll try this today. I order 1/2 lb of sandwich size pepperoni from the deli, and they accidentally gave me a whole pound. Dh and I have pepperoni coming out of our ears. I might pull out tha Rao's pizza sauce. 3 g carbs (2 sugar) for 1/3 cup. I really only need a tablespoon or so.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #57
AnnetteW
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/166/138 (5'5", 54 yrs)
WOE: keto
Start Date: 11/20/2017
I'm slinking back into the room after falling off the wagon yet again. Today is Day 3 back on, just eating lots of fat and protein and veggies. Keep the body satisfied so I don't cave in to any cravings.

I'm going to join back in the conversation, I'm just not sure what to say yet. But I am here.

I'm afraid to go read what I last wrote in my journal here, but later today I will sit down and read through it.

My plan for now (and I'll later write a journal post) is to just get started, get the junk out, eat what I know is right, and do my best not to get obsessive.

So here's a big hello to you all, and I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #58
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, the obnoxious thing in my avatar over

<----- THERE

is my darling little Fiona. She's a cinnamon green cheeked conure. She likes to take selfies when she's drunk. *smh*
What a cutie, drunk and all!

Amazing how our little critters become family. When the kids were little (jr. High) my DD announced that she wanted a rat. I was horrified! A rat???!!! But I took her to pick one out. That little rat was the sweetest thing. She would ride on my shoulder, nibbling little ratty treats and nuzzling my ear. I just fell in love with her.

My avatar is my sweet Bridgee. She's just my fuzzy baby (who, incidentally, takes up way too much room in the bed). My DD takes great delight at telling everyone that I'm the crazy dog lady. I agree that I COULD be except that I only have one dog. Just don't have room in the bed!!

Kathee
Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #59
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Annette, how smart you are to climb back onto the wagon BEFORE the holidays. If you hadn't, how much might you have gained AFTER the holidays???

Good job!

Kathee
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #60
Bridgee'sMom
Senior LCF Member

About jones-ing for pizza...

I make a portobello pizza! Take a large portobello mushroom and remove stem and gills. Then bake upside down on lined sheet pan at 400 for about 10 minutes. Take out of the oven, and lower temp to 375. Put about a tablespoon of the lowest carb marinara you can find and your favorite toppings. I like hot Italian sausage, linguica, pepperoni, (cook the sausage and linguica first just to make sure...) a couple bits of bell peppers and olives. Oh yes....don't forget the cheese! Put back in the oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese and toppings are done to your liking.

Dang! Now I want pizza!

Kathee