Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #241
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dottiedog
I made a cheesecake using BS and Lakanto classic 50-50. It tasted just like a non lc cheesecake-none of that "sharp" taste I get from erythritol based sweeteners. It seemed that the BS was able to overcome the sharpness from the Lakanto to really mellow out the flavor. Lakanto is "only" $8.00/lb when you buy 3 lbs on Amazon (amazing how quickly you adjust to alternate sweetener sticker shock). I'll have to try this combo with ice cream next but really pleased so far. No digestive problems.
Dottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #242
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I just made my almost strawberry freezer jam with bochasweet. It turned out fantastic. It would be hard to tell the difference from regular sugar version except for the cost of the batch. But with bochasweet I can eat a couple Tablespoons on my puff pancake and feel great about it.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #243
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
I just received my shipment of Bochasweet! I only got the one pound bag to make sure I like it. It's pretty pricey, but worth it if it lives up to all these posts!
I plan to make some German chocolate cupcakes using Hoberer and JJJ'sMom's tweaked frosting. I was going to make Low Carb Maven's chocolate cupcakes.

Does anyone have a favorite chocolate cupcake recipe they use?

I can't wait to try this stuff!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #244
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Enflame13
Dissolving BochaSweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
English is correct, as usual!

The answer about powdering it in ice cream depends on if you're going to heat the liquid almost to the point where it simmers, and maintain it there for a couple of minutes. If not, such as in the recipe featured in the thread "My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream" I always powder it, extra finely. Whereas a bit of heating happens in the beginning of production of the base, it's not heated sufficiently to dissolve BochaSweet completely. I know this by experience.

English, you're going to be very happy if BochaSweet is the only sweetener you use in your goodies. Please keep us posted of any new recipes you come up with!
Hi! I'm new, to both the message board and to LC, but had to add my two cents. Dissolving BC doesn't necessarily require high heat, it needs water. Not just liquid - melted chocolate is liquid, but it contains no water, it's fat and cocoa solids. BS (like most other sweeteners) is not fat soluble. This is why powdering helps, but you can still get some grit. Unfortunately, you can't just add even a drop of water (or anything containing water) to chocolate or it will seize. One solution beyond powdering is to get yourself some sunflower lecithin, which is an emulsifier. This would allow you to dissolve the BS in some cream (which you could then reduce if necessary to reduce the water), and then add it to the chocolate. This is why you often see lecithin as an ingredient in chocolate or any other food product that needs to mix water-soluble ingredients with oil-soluble ingredients. Eggs are often used in food for a similar reason (think mayonnaise) as they have emulsifiying properties. In ice cream, there should be plenty of "water" in the cream and milk to dissolve the BS with just a little bit of heat (Just like real sugar, warm liquid/water dissolves better than cold). Cat - I haven't seen your ice cream recipe yet, but I'm curious about why you had issues if you warmed the cream/milk. I tried just warm water and BS dissolved easily with just a bit of stirring.

Even better, make a cooked custard base with eggs which gives an even creamier ice cream

Cheers!
Enflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #245
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Caramelizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottiedog View Post
Does this mean it won't work for crème brulee? Any other sweeteners that will? I got a kitchen torch for Christmas and wanted to try it.
While I haven't tried it yet myself, I'm pretty sure allulose will caramelize.
The recipe on mariamindbodyhealth for Easy Sugar Free Caramel doesn't have anything extra in it for thickening or giving caramel flavour or colour (I'm Canadian, can you tell? lol). I have no idea if it will give the crystalline texture you want for creme brulee, or if it would make a firmer, chewier caramel candy, but I suspect it's the best choice out there. I will try it eventually and post about it (assuming no one else does first) but it's pretty dear, so I'm not ready to do a lot of messing around that might waste it. I'm so very stoked with it in ice cream that I'm making tons of that - I just haven't tried BS yet, but I'm so glad to hear it also makes great tasting, smooth, scoopable ice cream!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #246
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Finally made ice cream with bochasweet. Wanted to see whether it would dissolve enough for me if I made it just like sugar. So I just mixed it with the half and half and cream. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then stirred it added the vanilla and poured it into my cuisinart and froze it. It took much longer to freeze than with sugar. Taste is very good but for me it is a little too smooth. I know most people will say I'm silly, but I grew up with the old ice, salt, and crank for what seemed like hours. The ice cream was never super smooth. So I like my ice cream a little bit textured. I'm happy with it all in all. But for me it dissolves fine no heating for ice cream. Others may not. But that's just my take on it.
Bochasweet rocks.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #247
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I tried Bochasweet in my buttercrunch experiments. It did caramelize, But even going to 290 degrees, it still recrystallized upon cooling. The taste was sweet and pure, but allulose does way better in candies.
Soobee's experiments, regarding caramelizing, above.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #248
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

There is a maximum daily consumption of bochasweet for me. Ice cream put me over the limit. Nothing too severe like with maltitol or some other sugar alcohols, but a definite reaction. More like the reaction I get with eating too many prunes. Which is about 3 for me. So there is a self limiting effect from bochasweet for some of us. Sad but may be good for my self control.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #249
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
"Dissolving BC doesn't necessarily require high heat, it needs water. Not just liquid - melted chocolate is liquid, but it contains no water, it's fat and cocoa solids. BS (like most other sweeteners) is not fat soluble. This is why powdering helps, but you can still get some grit. Unfortunately, you can't just add even a drop of water (or anything containing water) to chocolate or it will seize. One solution beyond powdering is to get yourself some sunflower lecithin, which is an emulsifier." --Enflame13

My results did not bear out the theory that only water (or liquid) is needed to fully denature the crystalline properties of BS.

The experiment which led me to conclude that a point of some heat was necessary to satisfactorily dissolve the BS was in a chocolate bar. I don't believe, however, I stated "high heat" was necessary. A certain degree of heat, which is undetermined, proved to be the key. With application of only the heat required for proper chocolate tempering, although BS had been completely dissolved in melted chocolate, i.e. in a liquid state, when the bar cooled completely and solidified, the resulting texture was definitively and unpleasantly granular.

I did not experiment further with other liquids like water or milk. As you so aptly pointed out, adding water to tempered chocolate will cause it to seize. So. Not wanting to experience a further loss of pricey products, when I am using BS in an application where it will not be baked or heated to a higher temp than, say 120 degrees, I powder it. For the most part, this issue rarely comes up, because the lion's share of uses for me are either in baking, or in a hot liquid like coffee or hot chocolate.

The ice cream recipe to which you referred is the one under the title "My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream." A quick search of the board should turn it up for you. I have modified it to my own tastes and purposes, but nothing that would change the BS use. When the BS is well-powdered, I have encountered no grittiness in the finished ice cream. Since powdering is a relatively simple matter, I regard it as an insurance policy against textural failure. Whether or not it is vital isn't clear, absent extensive research. Ever the pragmatist, with a modicum of wimp thrown in for good measure, I tend to experiment within solid, reasonably educated parameters. This is why I opt to employ the powdering technique, simply as a safeguard.

As an ancillary insurance policy, I invariably allow my bases to ripen for 24-48 hours in the fridge before churning. Whether it's the powdering or the rest period that lends smoothness to the finished product, well, the jury's still out on that one. Bottom line, not big thing to me. It's off the hook, and that's the name of the game.

And good call on the sunflower lecithin in ice cream. That's one of said recipe modifications. Always best to give some help to what's in the recipe's egg yolks. In this particular recipe, I whisk in 1/2 Tb.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #250
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexsreineSC View Post
I have noted that several people bought larger quantities of Bocha at a discount.
How did you know about the sales?

I did go to the Bocha site and contacted them, asking to be notified of sales.
Have not heard back from company.

TIA,

Ginny in SC
Ginny, they don't seem to send out many discount coupons. There were a few emails in March, but they were for their bars, as I recall, not the bags of sweetener. The last time I can remember a significant discount was back around the holidays, where they offered a bundle price on 18 pounds. Grabbed that up, so haven't been paying much attention, as I'm stocked up currently.

If you've signed up for their mailing list, you should start getting notification of any promotions.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #251
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Thanks, Cat!
Wondering if they consider Easter to be a big enough baking holiday to hold a sale...

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #252
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

If I get anything from them, I'll post it on here, Ginny. Redundancy can't hurt in this instance.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #253
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Thanks, Cat!
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #254
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Enflame, thanks for you tip on crème brulee and allulose. Will have to give it a try. How does allulose taste - any aftertaste? On another note, just noticed they raised the price of BS on Amazon from 15.99 to 16.99. Hope that's not a continuing trend.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #255
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Dottie,
I have found zero aftertaste with allulose and I find it the closest to sugar in comparison to any alternative I've tried, including BS.

Cat, I think something got lost in translation...I was just clarifying because you talked about the chocolate and I think you said something to the effect that maybe you needed more heat (no amount of heat is really going to help because BS is not oil soluble). The sunflower lecithin I suggested for the chocolate issue. It would allow you to dissolve the BS in cream and then mix it into the chocolate...emulsification with lecithin should prevent seizing from the water in cream.

As for your ice cream recipe, I hadn't looked it up but it's a bit irrelevant. There is plenty of water in cream and milk (and eggs if using) to dissolve the BS, heating or not. Colder water dissolves less of a solute, and it can take longer, but if you even get the ingredients to room temperature, you should be able to dissolve the BS. You said:

"Whereas a bit of heating happens in the beginning of production of the base, it's not heated sufficiently to dissolve BochaSweet completely. I know this by experience."

I'm quite surprised you had any issue with BS not dissolving. You might just need a little more time to dissolve it all if you don't want to warm it much. That said, powdering it will help this happen better/faster for sure, I'm just not convinced it's necessary. Truth be told, I only have a small, personal-sized blender and I've found that powdering is not achieved easily or well. If you have a better blender, and can get better results then great, it can only help and make things easier, but if you're like me, and have trouble getting really fine powder, I just wanted to specify that if your recipe has enough water, you can dissolve BS without powdering, with or without much heat.

Possibly I missed something, but I got the impression that advice being given was that to dissolve it, you needed to be able to heat it (not necessarily HIGH, but you specified high enough to simmer cream for the ice cream). Apologies if I misunderstood anything, your experiments are clearly invaluable.

Cheers!
Paige
Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #256
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Oh, I've also found allulose to be less expensive (at least getting it here in Canada) than BS. I got 2lb allulose for $16US but BS was $16CDN for 1lb. Now, larger amounts decrease the price/lb, but I haven't found anywhere where I can get BS in larger amounts than 1lb bags in Canada yet, and the BochaSweet site only ships in the US. I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to get bulk quantities of both allulose and BS in Canada, but for now, I'll probably use more allulose. (I like it better too)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #257
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Enflame , where did you get the allulose for $16 for 2 lbs? That is a really good price for any quality alternative sweetener. Is that only in Canada ? I am in the US (New York State). Thanks.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #258
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I'm falling in love with Bochasweet more and more every day, and I've started using other sweeteners less and less. Still haven't powdered it on its own for a glaze though, but I'm working on it.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #259
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Paige, I'm not convinced it's 100% necessary, either. After the one mishap I had, it was costly enough to dissuade me from tempting the crystallization gods to vent yet again.

Since I don't know exactly what temperature is necessary to reach in order to complete BS dissolution, I'm far more inclined to just go ahead and powder up a cup or two at a time, and store it in a little canister. Works well for me. It's a precaution to ensure I don't lay waste to any more of my designer ingredients, and I'd advise anyone who feels the same about making something that may wind up in the trash to take that precaution. Of course,if the objective is experimentation primarily for the sake of edification, then, go for it.

I also keep a proprietary, powdered mix on hand of erythritol, stevia, and Just Like Sugar which I use to "stretch" the BochaSweet. In my various applications, I've found that using half BS and half this mix yields all the advantages of using BS alone. The ice cream is still scoopable as I discovered using 100% BS makes it. Chocolate is still perfectly sweetened, the same as if I had used BS alone.

And as for powdering, I've tried every gizmo out there. Blenders don't work. Ditto for food processors (of any size/power.) The only one that does a consistent job is a coffee mill. Mine is a Krups, and cost somewhere around $25, if memory serves. So that I don't have to clean it out completely each time I use it, which is a bit of a pain, I have a dedicated one just for sweeteners, and one that I've had for years for coffee only.

English, I'm with you, girl. If it's sweet and it comes from this kitchen, it has BS in it! The stuff is without peer, and may well be THE premiere find of the last several years for the low carb world.

Last edited by Baricat; 03-29-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #260
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

I tried the BochaSweet 1/2 and half with my sweetener mix like Baricat suggested and I was very pleased!
I made German chocolate cupcakes with a ganache filling, using the filling from the Southern Praline Pecan cake for the topping and All Day's chocolate cupcake recipe. I used the BochaSweet in the topping and cake. I didn't powder it, however and they turned out great. Here's a pic.

20180322_152907.jpg
Old 03-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #261
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Ooooo, Sue... that sounds absolutely crave-worthy!

If I'm remembering right, that filling recipe gets heated pretty thoroughly. So that wouldn't need to be powdered. Same for the cake. It's baked, so the heat will denature BS's crystalline structure. In those cases, I wouldn't have bothered to powder, either.

In the meantime, wish I had a hunk right now!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #262
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

They were scrumptious!
Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #263
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Paige, I'm not convinced it's 100% necessary, either. After the one mishap I had, it was costly enough to dissuade me from tempting the crystallization gods to vent yet again.

Since I don't know exactly what temperature is necessary to reach in order to complete BS dissolution, I'm far more inclined to just go ahead and powder up a cup or two at a time, and store it in a little canister. Works well for me. It's a precaution to ensure I don't lay waste to any more of my designer ingredients, and I'd advise anyone who feels the same about making something that may wind up in the trash to take that precaution. Of course,if the objective is experimentation primarily for the sake of edification, then, go for it.

I also keep a proprietary, powdered mix on hand of erythritol, stevia, and Just Like Sugar which I use to "stretch" the BochaSweet. In my various applications, I've found that using half BS and half this mix yields all the advantages of using BS alone. The ice cream is still scoopable as I discovered using 100% BS makes it. Chocolate is still perfectly sweetened, the same as if I had used BS alone.

And as for powdering, I've tried every gizmo out there. Blenders don't work. Ditto for food processors (of any size/power.) The only one that does a consistent job is a coffee mill. Mine is a Krups, and cost somewhere around $25, if memory serves. So that I don't have to clean it out completely each time I use it, which is a bit of a pain, I have a dedicated one just for sweeteners, and one that I've had for years for coffee only.

English, I'm with you, girl. If it's sweet and it comes from this kitchen, it has BS in it! The stuff is without peer, and may well be THE premiere find of the last several years for the low carb world.
I believe I have the same Krups coffee grinder, and it costs $18.49 shipped right now on Amazon if you have Prime. It has a large capacity for this kind of thing, but it also grinds (chops) small amounts very evenly, at least if the way it works on flax seed is any indication. A small paint brush will clean it out almost completely in seconds.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #264
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Looks yummy Susie, nice job.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #265
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Creek, I got mine awhile ago, so it's not surprising that the price has come down.

As for cleaning it, with the sweeteners in particular, they tend to compress, especially under the center blade spindle. I always need to go at it with firm pressure and a wadded up paper towel to dislodge it. Most of it can be dislodged with a brush, which is my starting tool. But now, having one dedicated for each is one of my little kitchen luxuries. Yes, I'm definitely a kitchen brat!

Beside the flaxseed, it also does an excellent job on those tiny chia seeds, as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #266
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I ordered a pound of the BS. Came yesterday but haven't tried it yet. (Yes, Amazon delivered it on Easter Sunday!)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #267
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottiedog View Post
Enflame , where did you get the allulose for $16 for 2 lbs? That is a really good price for any quality alternative sweetener. Is that only in Canada ? I am in the US (New York State). Thanks.
Actually, I ordered it from a US company (I can't find it offered anywhere in Canada yet ) I got it from Chocolate Alchemy. However, I think it's even cheaper on Amazon in the US, you can get two 3lb containers for just over $50 with free shipping - I'm not sure if there is a free shipping option with a qualifying order within the US with Chocolate Alchemy, but I certainly had to pay to ship it to Canada. It was the cheapest I could find for me. The one on Amazon US doesn't ship to Canada.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #268
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm far more inclined to just go ahead and powder up a cup or two at a time, and store it in a little canister. Works well for me. It's a precaution to ensure I don't lay waste to any more of my designer ingredients, and I'd advise anyone who feels the same about making something that may wind up in the trash to take that precaution.
I'm with you there!

Quote:
In my various applications, I've found that using half BS and half this mix yields all the advantages of using BS alone. The ice cream is still scoopable as I discovered using 100% BS makes it. Chocolate is still perfectly sweetened, the same as if I had used BS alone.
Yes, and allulose is the same. I read somewhere that there is some ideal ratio of erythritol blend : non-recrystallizing sweetener that keeps ice cream soft, somewhere along the lines of 2:1 or something, but I have been using about half Allulose/BS and half a blend of stevia/erythritol/monkfruit sweetener and my ice ream is still nice and scoopable.

Quote:
When you say coffee mill, do you mean a burr grinder or just a basic grinder with the whirling blades? I have one of the latter (not Krups though) that has removable cups so you can really wash it out, but if you mean a burr grinder I'll have to invest in another tool. I think I'll follow your lead about grinding to ensure best results.

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed a sharp, metallic smell or taste in raw items with BS? I made chocolate cake with it and the batter smelled awful. Once cooked, it smelled and tasted fine, but the frosting had a touch of the same smell and tasted a tiny bit off. I like the BS, but so far, I think my preference is allulose tbh. It's a bit less expensive for me here in Canada, and I've had NO aftertaste or weird odors with it (assuming it was the BS that caused what I noted...maybe it's just with certain ingredients?). Also, it caramelizes, and I do love caramel.

~Paige
Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #269
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I live life dangerously. I just dump an entire 1 pound bag (each of Bochasweet, Erythritol and whatever other sweetener I want) in my Blendtec and blend with cornstarch. I really don't like small batches of anything so this works better for me.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #270
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enflame13 View Post
Has anyone else noticed a sharp, metallic smell or taste in raw items with BS? I made chocolate cake with it and the batter smelled awful. Once cooked, it smelled and tasted fine, but the frosting had a touch of the same smell and tasted a tiny bit off. I like the BS, but so far, I think my preference is allulose tbh. It's a bit less expensive for me here in Canada, and I've had NO aftertaste or weird odors with it (assuming it was the BS that caused what I noted...maybe it's just with certain ingredients?). Also, it caramelizes, and I do love caramel.

~Paige
I have noticed a very slight burning sensation aftertaste with Bochasweet. It's similar to the burning sensation I get with Swerve and Sucrin sweeteners but much less than with them. I can use them in very small amounts with other sweeteners but cannot take them in large amounts. I haven't actually cooked anything with BS yet, so I don't know if it will be different when cooked or baked. I haven't tried Allulose yet.