Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #211
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/170/150
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
I've bought ten pounds of this stuff so I'm fully invested.

But I did notice that they insisted on Amazon that Bochasweet does in fact caramelize. Has anyone experimented with it?
unfortunately, caramelizing is not something i do often, if at all, so i have no experience with this. i'd love some input on this as well!

EnglishLit: i believe this will be the third time i have purchased 10 pounds in a given purchase. and i'll do it again in a heartbeat. which is coming up soon!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #212
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Has anyone noticed that the newer batches of Bochasweet seem to have a little more moisture than usual? I'm not complaining because it is performing fabulously in recipes, and it has a consistency closer to brown sugar than white, but I don't recall the previous batches having this kind of sticky consistency.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #213
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Interesting, English. I haven't bought since they ran that special on 18 pounds, and I haven't been baking or making much ice cream lately, so I still have all but two bags. Your recollection is right. Mine is bone dry, and pours easily. Hope they're not starting to mess with their original formulation. Maybe they're trying to lower the temperature point at which it de-granularizes??

Be sure to keep us posted.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #214
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Well I stopped here and went to try to carmelize some BS. I put about 4 T. and 1 T. water in a sm. pot. It started smoking fairly early in the process but I kept at it, couldn't tell you how long or how hot it got but it never carmelized. So I just added in about 3 T butter and 1/3 c. heavy cream. I'll see what it's like when it cools. It does have a carmel color due to the browning of the butter. I didn't have a thermometer on it but you know, it almost seems as if it got hotter a whole lot quicker than reg. sugar does.

As a diabetic, it hasn't raised my blood sugar. My primary use right now is in coffee, not baking much right now.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #215
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
yeah--early on I tried caramelizing. Didn't happen.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #216
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Update on the above............the BS crystalized some, as in grains throughout the stuff. Has a brown sugar very sweet syrupy grainy taste..........threw it away.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #217
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dottiedog
Tara's Keto Kitchen has a video on making caramel sauce using Bochasweet. Looked smooth in the video, don't know if it recrystallized later.
Dottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #218
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottiedog View Post
Tara's Keto Kitchen has a video on making caramel sauce using Bochasweet. Looked smooth in the video, don't know if it recrystallized later.
This above reference is not caramelized BS. It's a sauce that uses BS only for its sweetening. The sauce is mainly butter, cream, and a little blackstrap molasses for color and caramelized flavor, then sweetened with BS, then thickened with xanthan gum. At no point is there any carmelization of the BS.

EnglishLit and JJJ'sMom are referring to the process of caramelizing just BS, meaning heating it directly and slowly until it first liquifies, then until it turns to caramel. This is something easily accomplished with sugar. But so far, experiments have indicated the chemical structure of BS does not lend itself to this process (or if it does, we haven't been able to figure out the mechanics of how to do it yet. But stay tuned! You never know when someone might still manage to figure it out.)

The takeaway of these experiments is just because a sweetener mimics the taste of sugar, its structure is likely very different from it. Ergo, it won't necessarily be suitable for all sugar applications.

Last edited by Baricat; 03-03-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #219
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Does this mean it won't work for crème brulee? Any other sweeteners that will? I got a kitchen torch for Christmas and wanted to try it.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #220
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottiedog View Post
Does this mean it won't work for crème brulee? Any other sweeteners that will? I got a kitchen torch for Christmas and wanted to try it.
Unfortunately yes, that's precisely what it means. Unless you can come up with some other method that works. Conventional carmelization technique, i.e. heating BS to high temperatures, has not worked successfully for any of us so far. The molecular structure is different from sucrose, therefore it doesn't behave like it. Virtually its only similarities that we know so far is that it tastes like sucrose and remains reliably in suspension in your product when baked, heated thoroughly, or similarly denatured, such as with acid.

But you could always make a rich baked custard and serve it with the caramel sauce you found. Won't have that shattering crispy layer on top, but you could at the very least approximate the taste. Or make the sauce and spoon some into the custard cup first, add the custard mixture over it, and bake like that, so that the sauce is a little surprise on the bottom.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #221
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Exactly Baricat. It works marvelously IN a caramel sauce, but it can't caramelize on its own. Not a deal breaker for me since it is so great in everything else, but definitely can't be the only sweetener in my pantry.

But gosh I love this stuff! I love that it has that sticky, sugary consistency when it's heated. I find that I can use less vitafiber syrup when I use it with bochasweet in chewy recipes like brownies.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #222
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

English, what you've just reported might be the same phenomenon I've found with ice cream made with BochaSweet that stays scoopable right out of the freezer. It's not just the sugar-like taste, but it's also a big textural plus, as well. Like you, I find the inability to caramelized it such a minor thing. BS ROCKS!!

Last edited by Baricat; 03-04-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #223
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

My BS sweetner is with my coffee stuff and I'm forgetting about it but ........tonight I remembered it. Was making a marinara sauce and really wanted quite a sweet edge to it, the BS worked just like me adding reg. white sugar.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #224
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
All right how does one pronounce this? Is the ch like Charlie or carol? I just would like to start with saying it correctly.
Just ordered the 10 pound pack from the Bochasweet site. Free shipping!!
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #225
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Good question, cselz!! Well, since it's a Japanese squash, I went to my Japanese voice app to find out. It's just like it looks, kah BOH cha. So we are effectively spelling it phonetically.

That said, some From English speaking countries pronounce it with a short "o," as in "hot." Like kah BAH cha.

I've always leaned toward the Japanese pronunciation, with a long "o." BOH cha sweet.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #226
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
The cha is pronounced several ways on the pronunciation websites. Just wondering how everyone here says it. Cha like in Charlie or like In Carol. The BO I have been pronouncing with the long O sound. Guess it really doesn't matter much.
I love the free shipping on my 10 pounds, though don't know what I will do with all the other sweeteners I've wasted my money on.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #227
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Sorry I was ambiguous. In Japanese it's "cha" as in "the cha-cha-cha." Not like a hard "K" sound.

Oh, and those other sweeteners? You can use them in a concentration of 50% and 50% BS and still enjoy all the same benefits of full BS in everything I've tried, including ice cream. I do that to keep the costs of baking somewhat reduced. Well, AND to use up my stash of erythritol and stevia.

But the results of these experiments have been so good that I may continue the procedure after my erythritol gives out. Always looking for ways to cut costs without sacrificing quality.

Last edited by Baricat; 03-08-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #228
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I pronounce with a long o and the "k" sound because it feels better to say it that way. lol

I've started using this with Tagatose! eek! So far so good though ... I could NOT tolerate tagatose with xylitol at all, so this is a pleasant surprise. If I could use both of these sweeteners as my main two, I would be one happy woman!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #229
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
This is very interesting! I have both Tagatose and Bochasweet so will try that. I'm making a birthday carrot cake next week that will be mostly eaten by my family so want it to be good. I may try that combination with sucralose. I have found that Both Tag and BS each are good with sucralose but haven't tried them together. I'll also try powdering them with some powdered Erythritol for sweetening the frosting. BTW, I also pronounce it with a long "o" and the "k" sound
Old 03-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #230
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I don't know that I would trust giving tagatose to relatives. I would probably risk bochasweet but tagatose ... whew boy, that's a tough one. Something I've noticed about tagatose is that I have an EXTREMELY late gastric response to it. I had it for breakfast/brunch today at around 2:00, and I'm just now starting to feel the effects from it and took a probiotic pill just to settle things down before bedtime. But still, nowhere near as bad as trying to use it with xylitol.

I just worry that the guests will have a reaction and blame it on your food or something.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #231
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Bochasweet is still getting stellar reviews on Amazon for taste but some folks have had digestive problems with it. I have only used it for hot chocolate so far with no issues. I am planning to make Carolyn Ketchum's NY style cheesecake from her book with it this weekend. I will probably use it half and half with Lakanto Classic which I have a lot of. I'm hoping it will mitigate the burning mouth sensation I get from Lakanto and Swerve.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #232
judytab
Senior LCF Member

EnglishLit, I understand what you mean. I'm always aware of that problem (I've always avoided using polydextrose in anything I will serve to others!). Tagatose has never affected me, but I've never used it in large amounts. That's what I like about combining sweeteners and using as many as possible without too much of any one. And because they each seem to enhance the sweetening power of sucralose with a good, clean taste, I think I can get a good taste with smaller amounts of them and a larger amount of sucralose... not to mention it will be more economical!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #233
judytab
Senior LCF Member

I also wanted to mention that I have used Tagatose in desserts for others, as a part of several sweeteners - I use it in Soobee's pecan pie recipe with other sweeteners. It hasn't seemed to affect anyone, but like I said, I don't use it in large amounts.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #234
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

You guys who pronounce the "ch" like a "k" don't live down here, where "Boca" means only one thing, that home of the landed gentry, Boca Raton. BocaSweet sounds like a really chi-chi, upscale sweetener. Wait... Maybe that's precisely what I should call it, because you kinda need an income like someone who lives in Boca in order to afford it!!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #235
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Sorry I was ambiguous. In Japanese it's "cha" as in "the cha-cha-cha." Not like a hard "K" sound.

Oh, and those other sweeteners? You can use them in a concentration of 50% and 50% BS and still enjoy all the same benefits of full BS in everything I've tried, including ice cream. I do that to keep the costs of baking somewhat reduced. Well, AND to use up my stash of erythritol and stevia.

But the results of these experiments have been so good that I may continue the procedure after my erythritol gives out. Always looking for ways to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
Are you talking about gastronomical benefits, or about insulin/blood sugar effects?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #236
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Both, Creek! No insulin/glycemic repercussions, and bakes up perfectly, both in sweetness and in texture, provided the simple rules resulting from experiments I've outlined earlier in this thread are followed. 50-50 has worked remarkably well. So I will continue to purchase erythritol and stevia, although they are no longer my primary sweeteners.

I read some of the reviews on Amazon where folks relate having had bad gastrointestinal effects from it, but that hasn't been my particular experience. And I've had adverse reactions to maltitol, sorbitol, xylitol, and a particularly severe one to polydextrose. One might say I have a super funky gut. So I consider myself extremely fortunate to tolerate BochaSweet so well.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #237
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Thanks, Baricat, we'll see. (I'm fortunate enough to have virtually no problem with polydextrose.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #238
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
I have noted that several people bought larger quantities of Bocha at a discount.
How did you know about the sales?

I did go to the Bocha site and contacted them, asking to be notified of sales.
Have not heard back from company.

TIA,

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #239
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
It would be so nice to be notified of a sale.
If you hear back from them could you let us know? Thank you!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #240
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I didn't wait for a sale, I just went ahead and bought 10 pounds.