Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #271
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Paige, the Krups model I use is the whirling blades type. It's not huge, so I can do about 1/3 cup at a pop. The upside is that I just whirl it for about 15 full seconds, dump it, and pour in the next 1/3 cup. It gets superfine, and the BS dissolves dependably each time, with no trace of grittiness.

As for a sharp, metallic taste, I haven't experienced it. But it seems that taste perception, particular of non-sugar sweeteners is highly idiosyncratic. Each brain interprets the olfactory and gustatory signals it receives in its own way. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this, and Judy, sorry you're getting a burning sensation. Must be so frustrating for you both. I feel incredibly fortunate not to taste anything other than uncomplicated, unambiguous sweetness with BS. Guess there is no one, universal, perfect sweetener out there. Yet...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #272
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dottiedog
Paige , thanks for the info on allulose and chocolate alchemy. Will f/u on what shipping charges will be for me. Can't imagine they would be more than the cost of BS and since you like it just as much or more..... As for any offtaste from BS, I haven't noticed any. Tastes pretty much like regular sugar out of the bag to me.
Dottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #273
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Did anyone else get a free sample of the Bochasweet mushroom supplement with their shipment? I didn't even know I had it! I just put the box with the ten bags in my storage pantry, and when I went to grab a bag the vitamins fell out! A nice gift and it's almost $19 on Amazon, but I have no idea what they are for and what kind of benefits mushroom capsules might have. I generally stay away from vitamins but I'm curious about these.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #274
Enflame13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Enflame13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Paige, the Krups model I use is the whirling blades type. It's not huge, so I can do about 1/3 cup at a pop. The upside is that I just whirl it for about 15 full seconds, dump it, and pour in the next 1/3 cup. It gets superfine, and the BS dissolves dependably each time, with no trace of grittiness.

As for a sharp, metallic taste, I haven't experienced it. But it seems that taste perception, particular of non-sugar sweeteners is highly idiosyncratic. Each brain interprets the olfactory and gustatory signals it receives in its own way. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this, and Judy, sorry you're getting a burning sensation. Must be so frustrating for you both. I feel incredibly fortunate not to taste anything other than uncomplicated, unambiguous sweetness with BS. Guess there is no one, universal, perfect sweetener out there. Yet...
Cat, I got the grinder, and am really happy you told me it worked better than any blender etc. because exactly as you say, it did a much better job than my little personal blender and got much much closer to powder like confectioners sugar. For about $20CDN! I was worried I'd have to go to a Vitamix, which I'd LOOOOOVE, but can't afford, lol. This will help a lot for chocolate and frostings!

I still can't say for sure if it was the BS that caused the smell, but once baked, it disappeared . I'm glad I baked it though, the weird smell was enough that I almost just threw out the batter! I suspect you're right about different perceptions.

Dot, glad I could be helpful. The ONLY downside, if you could even call it a downside, to Allulose I've found so far (beyond price ), is that it's not as sweet as sugar, so you might need to use more. I tend to just add Natural Mate or MonkSweet +, which are twice and three times as sweet as sugar, respectively, to add any additional sweetness necessary.
Enflame13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #275
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Aw, Paige, that's excellent! I'm so glad you like it. It's a real workhorse in this kitchen. I use it for BS, for erythritol, as well as for chia seed in Martina's brownie recipe. You can get the powder to super fine by whirring it several times. I like to do it more than once, as if you keep it going for more than about 45 seconds or so, it tends to get hot to the touch, which I figure can't be all that good. So I allow 2 minutes or so for it to cool down, then let 'er rip all over again. If you do this once or twice, you can get it fine enough that you'll never have a gritty product.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #276
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn Ketchum mentioned in her blog that she is testing Bochasweet. So far she tried it in a piece of cake along with some other things and so far so good as far as blood sugar is concerned. She also said that there is some indication that allulose is hard on the liver (sorry to hear that).
Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #277
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Good to hear. Thank you for letting us know!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #278
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
FYI......I'm diabetic and have tested BS in my coffee, no problem for me.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #279
Dottiedog
Junior LCF Member

I just made some vanilla latte ice cream with a 50-50 mix of BS and Lakanto classic. I did not add any glycerin, vodka or lecithin. After 24 hrs in the freezer it is perfectly scoopable and tastes great. Ive made a similar recipe with just Lakanto in the past and it froze as hard as a rock. I think with BS (and probably alulose) these things are no longer necessary. So far, I'm liking my mix as Ive used it for cheesecake, a regular cake and ice cream with good results. I may try BS and Pyure which is even cheaper and available at Walmart and see how that goes.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #280
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Sounds good Dottiedog, great info, let us know how it goes
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote