Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Thanks for the information Sharon. I also used the Honey Tree brand but I will try the recipe with your sub suggestions. The other thing that I discovered today is that maltitol has nearly the same GI factor as sugar so making the brittle without it would be better for a diabetic than making it with it. I appreciate the feedback.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #32
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
ncredbird, try increasing the water in the recipe. (It all evaporates out in the oven, so it really doesn't make a difference in the outcome, but it makes it easier to mix and spread.) Try doubling the water to see if that makes it work easier for you. If the syrup is too stiff, it is hard to get it spread out in a single layer, which makes it thinner on the edge and thicker in the middle which might be causing your problem.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Ok Sharon, tweak what I did pls. I halved the recipe, used real maple syrup and granulated xylitol. It took 2 cups of nuts but I figured it was because I was adding the bulk that xylitol has and you used liquid. Pulled it out at 38 mins because of the color, nice medium brown. The sugary part has oozed off the parchment onto the pan. The nuts are very sticky when cool and sometimes when you pull some up, you get a sticky sting of goo. Should I try reheating to harden up? Or I figure if nothing else, I can just put into a bowl and add almond flour to coat the stickiness, breaking up as I mix in the al. flr. Guess I could try this next time w/ liquid stevia but other than using the stevia in drops here or there, I have no idea what would equal a cup.
Here is what I found on xylitol

Xylitol does not carmelize or reach “hard crack” because it remains stable under high heat. We recommend using an alternate sweetener for topping creme brulee, or for making hard candies.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:56 AM   #34
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Sharon, this recipe is delicious. Thanks so much. My husband wants me to hide it from the company that's coming. Lol
Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #35
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Thks for that info on xylitol Sharon, that may have been my culprit.

Not sure where your info on malitol comes fr Redbird, I've always tht it was about half the GI of white sugar. Malitol is about 35, sugar is about 60
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #36
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
The info about the maltitol was on this website: https://justsayingno.wordpress.com/2...-candy-syrups/
and I read another similar comment on a professional candy makers discussion forum which Scott 123 posted a lot of information on also. I would like for the information to be wrong because I have quite a bit of sugar free honey in the house that I would like to use. Also on David Mendosa's diabetes forum he states that two types of Maltitol have GI indexes of 52 and 53 where as sugar is rated at 60. There are other forms of Maltitol rated in the 30's. How do we know which type we are using? http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

Last edited by ncredbird; 11-24-2015 at 11:39 AM..
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #37
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
The info about the maltitol was on this website: https://justsayingno.wordpress.com/2...-candy-syrups/
and I read another similar comment on a professional candy makers discussion forum which Scott 123 posted a lot of information on also. I would like for the information to be wrong because I have quite a bit of sugar free honey in the house that I would like to use. Also on David Mendosa's diabetes forum he states that two types of Maltitol have GI indexes of 52 and 53 where as sugar is rated at 60. There are other forms of Maltitol rated in the 30's. How do we know which type we are using? http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm
All I can tell you is that my husband is an insulin dependent diabetic who tests 4 times a day and malitol does not raise his blood sugar.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #38
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
bumping, bumping, bumping.........omg what is bound to be a great recipe, haven't tried it for the 2nd time yet but do have my raw nuts laid out. Alot of good info, read the whole thread.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote