Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
easy oven peanut brittle

I'm making 11 10 oz bags of this for a fundraiser this week. This recipe is more peanuts than brittle...just enough candy to hold the nuts together. But it is super easy...made in the oven, no candy thermometer required.

Peanut Brittle
2/3 cup polydextrose
1/4 cup sugar free honey
Artificial sweetener equal to 1 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
10 oz raw Spanish peanuts (2 cups)

Preheat oven to 315 degrees. Line a pizza pan with parchment paper sprayed lightly with cooking spray. (Cut the paper over-sized so it hangs over the edge of the pan so the syrup doesn't leak under the paper.)

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the polydextrose, honey, salt, and water. Heat 90 seconds. Add the nuts, mix well, and return to the microwave for 1 minute.

Immediately turn out onto the lined pizza pan and use a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to spread the brittle out until it is only one layer of nuts. Bake 40 minutes. Remove to a rack and let cool. Invert and peel off the paper and break the brittle into smaller pieces.

I use a 12" pizza pan for this and it is just the right size.

Makes 15 oz peanut brittle at 2.5g carbs per ounce.

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-11-2015 at 07:22 AM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
If you're selling this stuff, I hope you're putting a warning label on it!

Polydextrose turns me into something that neither humans nor animals want to be near. Which is sad, because I LOVE the properties it brings to LC recipes. Even the smallest amount renders me unfit for hours.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

These people know the dangers of sugar alcohol and Poly D. I made it last year..only 4 bags for the 4 diabetics in our little church. The four of them ordered 11 bags this year! So I guess none of them had a problem with it.

Sharon.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
where's the butter?

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
where's the butter?

Debbie
When I make it for myself, I put 2 tbsp butter in it. When I'm making it for the fund raiser, I leave it out because some complained it felt "greasy". It is good both ways.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
These people know the dangers of sugar alcohol and Poly D. I made it last year..only 4 bags for the 4 diabetics in our little church. The four of them ordered 11 bags this year! So I guess none of them had a problem with it.

Sharon.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
Quote:
When I make it for myself, I put 2 tbsp butter in it. When I'm making it for the fund raiser, I leave it out because some complained it felt "greasy". It is good both ways.
Thank you, I will try this sometime over the winter. I will eat very little for reasons already mentioned lol.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Thanks for the recipe! My dh really loves peanut brittle. Is the oven temp correct?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
If you're selling this stuff, I hope you're putting a warning label on it!

Polydextrose turns me into something that neither humans nor animals want to be near. Which is sad, because I LOVE the properties it brings to LC recipes. Even the smallest amount renders me unfit for hours.

Your description is quite humorous. I am aware of the sugar alcohol side effects but have never consumed poly D. Looks like I won't be in a hurry to change that's either, lol.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay View Post
Your description is quite humorous. I am aware of the sugar alcohol side effects but have never consumed poly D. Looks like I won't be in a hurry to change that's either, lol.
It doesn't seem to bother some folks though!

I can eat SMALL amounts of maltitol or isomalt without too much trouble - much more than that and I can count on some very ominous tummy grumbles.

PolyD gives me tummy grumbles as a precursor to the main event - which is noxious fumage - for hours after consuming even a small amount.

The only way to know if it bothers you is to try it but I'm done trying!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Thanks for the recipe! My dh really loves peanut brittle. Is the oven temp correct?
Yes. When I made it on the stove I cooked it to 315 degrees on my candy thermometer. By setting the oven temp to 315 degrees you guarantee it will reach the proper temp for it to harden. Also, the long, slow cooking time toasts the nuts.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Poly D doesn't bother me, but inulin really messes me up! I guess everyone is different.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
poly-d doesn't bother my family in the slightest (and it gives everything cake or cookie-like the BEST texture!) but lupin flour makes me violently ill.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #14
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Yes. When I made it on the stove I cooked it to 315 degrees on my candy thermometer. By setting the oven temp to 315 degrees you guarantee it will reach the proper temp for it to harden. Also, the long, slow cooking time toasts the nuts.
Thanks, Sharon 😊
Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #15
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Sharon, this is something that I want to try but don't have the sf honey. Could I sub vitafiber or agave? And what about using a granulated sweetner vs a liquid one? Do you see that there would be any difference on the outcome?
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Sharon, this is something that I want to try but don't have the sf honey. Could I sub vitafiber or agave? And what about using a granulated sweetner vs a liquid one? Do you see that there would be any difference on the outcome?

I have used sf pancake syrup when I didn't have the honey. The granulated sweeteners usually add carbs, so adjust accordingly. Otherwise, they work fine...they dissolve when you heat it up in the microwave. Add a little more water to compensate for the liquid in the sweetener. Add a tbsp or so of butter to it if you don't mind it feeling a bit "greasy" because it surely tastes good.

I have one batch on the table cooling and another in the oven right now!

Sharon

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-14-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Thks Sharon, think I'll go try a half batch right now.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thks Sharon, think I'll go try a half batch right now.
Let me know how it turns out. I'm almost done with the 11 bags I have to make by next Sunday...only three more to go.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #19
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Ok Sharon, tweak what I did pls. I halved the recipe, used real maple syrup and granulated xylitol. It took 2 cups of nuts but I figured it was because I was adding the bulk that xylitol has and you used liquid. Pulled it out at 38 mins because of the color, nice medium brown. The sugary part has oozed off the parchment onto the pan. The nuts are very sticky when cool and sometimes when you pull some up, you get a sticky sting of goo. Should I try reheating to harden up? Or I figure if nothing else, I can just put into a bowl and add almond flour to coat the stickiness, breaking up as I mix in the al. flr. Guess I could try this next time w/ liquid stevia but other than using the stevia in drops here or there, I have no idea what would equal a cup.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
I tried making SF peanut brittle last Christmas and it was really grainy, not very pleasant but the taste was good. What is the consistency of this and how much of the liquid sucralose do you use to equal 1 cup? I have all the ingredients and was thinking about ordering some Maltitol syrup as that is what Judy's Candies Peanut Brittle is made from and that is wonderful. My SIL was diagnosed with diabetes this year and peanut brittle is one of the things he always looks forward to at Christmas.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
I tried making SF peanut brittle last Christmas and it was really grainy, not very pleasant but the taste was good. What is the consistency of this and how much of the liquid sucralose do you use to equal 1 cup? I have all the ingredients and was thinking about ordering some Maltitol syrup as that is what Judy's Candies Peanut Brittle is made from and that is wonderful. My SIL was diagnosed with diabetes this year and peanut brittle is one of the things he always looks forward to at Christmas.
The SF honey is malitol syrup. It is hard to tell you an amount of liquid sucralose, because there are several different brands out there, and they are all different strengths. I use pure liquid splenda, which is about twice as strong as EZsweetz. I would suggest you simply taste the syrup before you cook it, to see if it is sweet enough for you. It is not grainy at all...it is mostly peanuts, with just enough candy to hold it together.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ok Sharon, tweak what I did pls. I halved the recipe, used real maple syrup and granulated xylitol. It took 2 cups of nuts but I figured it was because I was adding the bulk that xylitol has and you used liquid. Pulled it out at 38 mins because of the color, nice medium brown. The sugary part has oozed off the parchment onto the pan. The nuts are very sticky when cool and sometimes when you pull some up, you get a sticky sting of goo. Should I try reheating to harden up? Or I figure if nothing else, I can just put into a bowl and add almond flour to coat the stickiness, breaking up as I mix in the al. flr. Guess I could try this next time w/ liquid stevia but other than using the stevia in drops here or there, I have no idea what would equal a cup.
I would guess that the real maple syrup cannot cook to hard crack the way the malitol in the SF honey can. I don't think the sweetener was the problem, but the maple syrup. Mine comes out hard, and breaks easily into pieces...no stickiness. You might try coating it in chocolate!

I usually use 2 cups of nuts in a whole recipe. (10 oz comes out to 2 cups)

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-19-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 AM   #23
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Thks Sharon, I only put the maple syrup in there for hubby but I'll do another batch w/ malitol syrup.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #24
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thks Sharon, I only put the maple syrup in there for hubby but I'll do another batch w/ malitol syrup.
I hope it works...The recipe as written makes great peanut brittle (munching some as I type!) but I can't predict how any recipe will turn out if you substitute ingredients.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, is Liquid Splenda available in grocery stores in the metro Phoenix area? We currently have our home for sale here and will be moving to Prescott in the next few months. Husband retired from MCSO several years ago and we moved to TN to a very rural farming community and love it but it's time to get back to the family. So many things I can't get here. I managed to find one small bottle of liquid sucralose and currently have a batch of the peanut brittle in the oven. Had no idea how much of it to use and generally err on not so sweet side so we will see how it turns out. When I licked the spoon it tasted really good!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #26
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/187.5/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Thanks Sharon for sharing this recipe--it is delicious and hard to stop eating--I literally had to hide it in a cabinet--it is wonderful---thanks again.

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins

Each decision that you make indicates what you think you are worth~
~~A Course in Miracles~~
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #27
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
Sharon, is Liquid Splenda available in grocery stores in the metro Phoenix area? We currently have our home for sale here and will be moving to Prescott in the next few months. Husband retired from MCSO several years ago and we moved to TN to a very rural farming community and love it but it's time to get back to the family. So many things I can't get here. I managed to find one small bottle of liquid sucralose and currently have a batch of the peanut brittle in the oven. Had no idea how much of it to use and generally err on not so sweet side so we will see how it turns out. When I licked the spoon it tasted really good!
You can get ezsweetz in the stores here. I order mine online. Prescott Valley has just about every store you can find down here in Phoenix. I can't believe how big it has grown in the last few years!

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-22-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Old 11-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Thanks Sharon for sharing this recipe--it is delicious and hard to stop eating--I literally had to hide it in a cabinet--it is wonderful---thanks again.
Try it with a mixture of pecans, walnuts, almonds and peanuts....nectar of the gods!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #29
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

The batch I made yesterday from this recipe got really really dark and I had to pull it from the oven 25 min into the baking process. The outside edges were brittle but the middle was extremely sticky. It didn't taste burned but it looked close to it. I tested my oven with a thermometer and it is right on temp. I posted a microwave peanut brittle recipe on the board that I made this morning and turned out better for me and I didn't use the sugar free honey. I am wondering if the burning point for the sugar free honey is lower than that of the polydextrose. I used the process from our old family favorite non LC peanut brittle because I had read somewhere that the hard crack temp for both the polydextrose and sugar were the same so thought it should work well and it did. Not sticky and breaks cleanly. Next time I make your recipe I may try the microwave method and see how that works. It tastes really good even though it is more caramel than brittle.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #30
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

I just found out that there are two types of sugar free honey. The type I use is malitol syrup (honey tree). The other is xylitol (Nature's Hollow)...which I don't use because it is so poisonous to animals, and we give occasional "people treats" to them and I don't want to accidentally poison them. After JJSMOM's experience, I am thinking xylitol DOESN'T work in this recipe.

You can omit the honey and replace it with 1/4 cup more of the polyD, and substitute Torani or Davinci caramal or english toffee syrup for the water to replace the flavor of the honey in the recipe.

The thing I like about this recipe is that the slow roasting in the oven roasts the nuts and really brings out the flavor.

Last edited by sbwertz; 11-22-2015 at 06:28 PM..