Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Toddster63
WOE: Ketogenic Diet
The Ultimate Oospie/Faux Junk Wheat Bread Bun...

Craving some junky wheat bread-like white hamburger buns? Well, I was and thanks to board members like Charski and clackley and others, I threw together what others have honed in on and made a phenomenal variant of oopsie buns...

3 eggs, separated
3 oz. cream cheese
4 TBL unflavored whey powder
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
Dash of cream of tarter
Pinch salt
2 pinchs of sweetener (optional, I use a erythritol/stevia blend)

Beat until smooth: egg yolks, cream cheese, whey powder, xanthum gum, salt, sweetener. Will be very thick (much thicker than classic oopsies). Set aside.

Beat eggs whites and cream of tater until stiff peaks form (when you can turn the bowl over and they don't move ). Mix 1/2 cup or so of the stiffened whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it up, mixing fairly well. Then add the lightened yolk mixture into the beaten whites and now very gently FOLD the two loosely together (mix will lose a little of the air inflation as compared to classic oopsie batter).

Form in shapes of your choice on cooking spray'd cookie sheets, or on parchment paper--or best of all in muffin top pan.

Bake at 300F for 35 minutes, or until quite golden brown. You want a slightly longer baking time than classic oopsies to dry them out a bit more.

Wow, the best LC buns ever! No egg-ee taste whatsover, and the texture is as close to a white flour hamburger bun as I've ever seen in LC baking. I used a cheap piece of chopped steak to make a sandwich, slathering the bun with mayo on top, and ketchup below, and it held up great--much firmer and bread like than regular oopsies--it wasn't as spongy--and the chopped steak was far from tender--so this was a real test. Meat was juicy, drippy, also another factor. With a more tender ground beef patty, aahhh, this will be perfection! Not to mention turkey and cheese and heirloom tomatoes, or grilled cheese with jalapeño Monterey Jack. Mmmm!

So happy to finally have a LC bun SO close to junky wheat bread!

Last edited by Toddster63; 10-17-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Toddster63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Did you get a picture of these? I've tried oopsies many times but they are never quite right for me. I've used them for burgers and sandwiches but they are always missing something, maybe the addition of the whey and xanthan will make the difference.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Low Carb Librarian
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: Jan 2016 (off and on)
Thanks!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Did you get a picture of these? I've tried oopsies many times but they are never quite right for me. I've used them for burgers and sandwiches but they are always missing something, maybe the addition of the whey and xanthan will make the difference.
No pics, but they looked very similar to other seasame seed (I sprinkled seasame seeds on mine before baking) oopsies I have seen-- but it was the texture that was so different. I like regular oopsies, and appreciate their slight egg-eee and spongy texture--but these that I made are different, very much like junky white flour buns (though of course those regularity eating wheat would probably notice the differences). These would be a poor choice for those that crave whole grained breads; a flax seed flour recipe is much better for a brown bread copy.

My buns looked very much like a similar roll made by Linda from her wonderful recipe and blog site, LINDA'S LOW CARB MENUS & RECIPES. Her bun is pictured below:

Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I plan to try your recipe as soon as I have a chance, Toddster. I usually have to buy "real" buns for my husband but maybe he'll be happy with your version and then I can have a bun for my burger too. I usually don't bother and eat mine bunless.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I plan to try your recipe as soon as I have a chance, Toddster. I usually have to buy "real" buns for my husband but maybe he'll be happy with your version and then I can have a bun for my burger too. I usually don't bother and eat mine bunless.
Yeah, it might work...!

I too have gotten used to bunless--or lettuce wraps with butter lettuce; I actually crave those now, particularly with crab salad.

But these buns are a nice change to almost feel like I am cheating--which I really don't do as it throws me out of ketosis and I feel like a heavy blob for a day...!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
Oppsie buns

Toddster63
Do you have a carb count for your oppsie buns? They look really good

Last edited by Luv2loose; 10-18-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Luv2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
Toddster63
Do you have a carb count for your oppsie buns? They look really good
According to my primitive mathematics, the entire recipe is about 7.1 carbohydrates--or 1.2 carbs per single roll. When using two rolls per sandwich to make a "bun" it comes out to 2.4 carbs per bun.

This data of mine is comprised by zeroing out the carbs for the flax meal--4 carbs, 4 grams fiber= 0 net carbs.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Moonchild
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 215/210/199
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 14, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddster63 View Post
This data of mine is comprised by zeroing out the carbs for the flax meal--4 carbs, 4 grams fiber= 0 net carbs.
What flax meal? I don't see any in the recipe.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

I just did some more "testing" of this bun and it was just fantabulous. Flying colors!

I heavily (even over) toasted it in a traditional toaster--to the point where I had to scrap some of the burnt black off with a steak knife. Then I placed slices of cheese (jalapeño jack) over each roll, and put it under the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese was melted and just about to get bubbly. After removing from the broiler, I slapped the rolls together to make a cheese sandwich on a bun.

First, the over-dried texture was so close to spot on for a over-toasted or even slightly old wheat hamburger bun. Dry, firm, and a little bit stryofoamy if you will. But it wasn't, remarkably, as annoyingly dry to the mouth, as with strongly toasted wheat. I suppose due to the higher fat content, this roll while having the drier texture of toasted wheat, went down smoother and with more ease. A plus!

Taste wise, the dried out roll (which in this case was a little masked by the spice of the jalapeño cheese) had a faint taste that definitely is NOT wheat--jusr a hint of eggy, but overlayed with a muted also faint dairy edge from the cream cheese and whey. I would call it neutral, and it seems to definitely take a back seat taste wise to the ingredients of the sandwich. Most of us LC folk will overall rejoice for a mere few carbs per roll, but if you have hard core wheat addicts, they might notice it more. I found my heavy coating of sesame seeds really helped, as I got high flavor notes from them...

When I have toasted classic oopsies, they tend to get dense, and more egg-spongy, with a more pronounced eggish flavor, not necessarily bad, but NOT WHEAT-like for sure. So this was a nice change.

And like the plainer oopsies, these are much more filling than wheat--and with the higher fat content, you're satiated much quicker.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
What kind of unflavored whey powder did you use?

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
What flax meal? I don't see any in the recipe.
Yeah, my bad--I have been doing so much experimenting. But I think this latest version of this recipe had a TBL of ground flax in it. But the previous batch (from this recipe) without the flax was very similar. Certainly the flax is optional, good for those that are Omega-3 hunting...
Old 10-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
What kind of unflavored whey powder did you use?
It's Reserveage Organics, Grass-Fed Whey Protein Unflavored/Unsweetened. I get it at Whole Foods.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #14
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Beeb
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: OMG, SERIOUSLY?!
WOE: Eating healthy, eating LC, and portion control
Start Date: The Day Low Carb Became a WOE and NOT A DIET!!!!!
Quote:
Yeah, my bad--I have been doing so much experimenting. But I think this latest version of this recipe had a TBL of ground flax in it. But the previous batch (from this recipe) without the flax was very similar. Certainly the flax is optional, good for those that are Omega-3 hunting...
So......what is the correct recipe that you like the most, please? Thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #16
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
So......what is the correct recipe that you like the most, please? Thanks!
Mmmm, I guess it's with the addition of the flax meal; maybe a little drier, not much, but a bit. Makes for better grilled cheese or hamburgers. For a turkey, or cold meat sandwich, where a slightly softer bun might be more appropriate, the non-flax version might be better.

Also, if you are making these mainly for yourself, and will be freezing them, the flax version holds up better in the freezing process(keeps shape better).
Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #17
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
So... this? How many bun halves does it make?

3 eggs, separated
3 oz. cream cheese
1 TBL milled golden flax
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
Dash of cream of tarter
Pinch salt
2 pinches of sweetener (optional, I use a erythritol/stevia blend)

I'll try these tonight but I'll use guar gum instead of xanthan and top with sesame seeds.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
So... this? How many bun halves does it make?

3 eggs, separated
3 oz. cream cheese
1 TBL milled golden flax
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
Dash of cream of tarter
Pinch salt
2 pinches of sweetener (optional, I use a erythritol/stevia blend)

I'll try these tonight but I'll use guar gum instead of xanthan and top with sesame seeds.
Thanks for posting that full recipe--this makes 6 rolls, or 3 buns. Some might be happy carefully slicing one single bun in half, but it's hard to do well, and makes for a less hardy bun, particularly for juicer type fillings, like hamburgers...

Please let us know what you think of these buns...!?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Yup! Egginess was gone! I was surprised to not taste whey. I'm rather sensitive to it, but then my filling was rather boldly flavored. I didn't try it alone. Super fluffy and light but definitely not spongy. Excellent with roast beef, cheese sauce and LC Arby's sauce. Could easily get 7 bun halves out of the recipe. Too bad my muffin top pan only has 6 wells.

Saved the last 2 for cream cheese and jelly tomorrow morning.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 10-20-2015 at 07:42 PM..
Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #20
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Much more bread-like and less airy when cooled overnight and then toasted... in fact, incredibly breadlike. I had to give mine a smoosh to fit in the toaster so maybe that contibuted. LOL. Absolutely perfect for cream cheese and jelly! A big difference from eating straight out of the oven- though both are delicious!

Jen
Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #21
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Much more bread-like and less airy when cooled overnight and then toasted... in fact, incredibly breadlike. I had to give mine a smoosh to fit in the toaster so maybe that contibuted. LOL. Absolutely perfect for cream cheese and jelly! A big difference from eating straight out of the oven- though both are delicious!

Glad you liked the recipe too! I've tried so many bread substitute recipes, and quite a few over-the-counter breads too (the last was Julian Bakery coconut bread--yech, and was $13 a loaf locally!)' but this whey oopsie has been the closest to bread for me.

I agree that refrigerating them makes them even better in terms of emulating bread. And I agree that my 6 roll muffin top pan seems too small now...!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Beeb

Quote:

Just curious about using the guar instead of the xanthan. Is this a reason for this in terms of how these buns will turn out? Thanks!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #23
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Xanthan gum and guar gum are nearly identical products... both thickeners of the same level and basically pure fiber. Dana Carpender (low carb cookbook author) told me that they are completely interchangeable so I have never even bought xanthan, though it is more commonly used. Guar has always worked for me and easier to find, especially 8 years ago.

Jen
Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #24
Beeb

Quote:
Xanthan gum and guar gum are nearly identical products... both thickeners of the same level and basically pure fiber. Dana Carpender (low carb cookbook author) told me that they are completely interchangeable so I have never even bought xanthan, though it is more commonly used. Guar has always worked for me and easier to find, especially 8 years ago.
Thank you!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #25
LindaSue
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Guar has always worked for me and easier to find, especially 8 years ago.
That's interesting because I've seen xanthan gum in many stores, even Walmart, but I've yet to see guar gum anywhere.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #26
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

And we both live in TX... hmmm. I wouldn't say either is really easy to find, just Guar gum tends to be with other NOW brand things in stores with supplement sections.

Jen
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #27
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

I really think freezing these rolls does wonders to the texture--it dries them out, but it's a fluffy dry, making them more junk bread like. I had one for lunch today, and I actually found myself picking off bits of the edges to feed to the dog-- something I always used to do with hamburger buns or fast food buns, as I often found them a tad too dry and fluffy. It took me aback how much I had subconsciously been fooled! (which was fine with the dog too...)

I am just so tickled with such a great substitute for those times when you are tired of raw vegetables and fruits or smoothies--the Vitamix makes you cringe--or roasted vegetable--no matter how many different spices that you put on them--or substitute recipes that may work, but still leave something to be desired--Ugg! In times of Ugg, one of these rolls turns a beef patty or some cold ham or slices of pepper Jack cheese into a refreshing change that harkens back (in a refreshingly good way) to the days of wheat and other glucose goodies, before you knew any better...

Thanks to those that came up with the protein powder mod!

About the only thing that could top these rolls would be a similarity close substitute for french fries...!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #28
Eugaea
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eugaea
WOE: Dec. 2015: Brain tumor removed!
Start Date: October 2015
Quote:
About the only thing that could top these rolls would be a similarity close substitute for french fries...!
What I wouldn't give...
Eugaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #29
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Rutabaga fries are awesome! I hear jicama works too but I have not tried it. I'd weigh the raw rutabaga/jicama first so you know how many carbs you are dealing with. Jicama is a better carb bargain but I imagine rutabagas are a bit closer to real fries (which is very close!).

Cut peeled rutabaga into strips like big steak fries and steam them al dente [7 min for a full ziploc microwave steamer bag]. Dry. Fry in tons of butter until they're brown all over. Season as desired.

-rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, salt: my favorite!!!

-smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper: Great for with ketchup!

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 10-25-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Old 10-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
Toddster63
Junior LCF Member

Great idea, JHoberer--I've got try that steaming and then frying with rutabagas. A fellow LCHF'er recently made brunch with pan fried rutabaga slices and onions, and they were very potato home fry-esque and delicious.

The chunky steak fries shape and steaming and then butter frying--enticing, must try this!

Last edited by Toddster63; 10-25-2015 at 11:25 AM..