Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Ginny Larsen's Bread Recipe....yummo

It's her recipe for Cheese & Wine Bread, she later started subbing buttermilk for the wine. She does this recipe 8 times and bakes in a loaf pan.

Wet...1 egg 1 tsp. oil 1 Tbsp. buttermilk 1/4 tsp. truvia
Dry....2 Tbsp. parmesan 1 Tbsp. almond flour
1 tsp. psyllium husk powder (Now brand is finely ground)
1 tsp. nutritional yeast 1/4 tsp. baking powder.

Mix together the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine well until it appears the husk powder is mixed in well. I baked in muffin top pan at
400 for 6-7 mins. This made 2 pieces.

Extremely pleased w/ the taste and texture. I made this 5 days ago and left 1 piece on the counter wrapped in saran to see how long it might last. Happy to report that it still tastes great and nothing changed. Terrific bread that has the fiber of psyllium , tasty way to include fiber in your diet.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Jakelilydad
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I wonder how long she bakes it if making a loaf? Printing this out, though, for sandwiches. thanks for posting.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
This sounds good.I need some nutritional yeast.She multiplies this recipe and then cooks in the oven?

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 03-26-2015 at 09:24 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Preheat oven to 350, recipe above x's 8, pour into loaf pan, bake 30 mins. , cover w/ foil and bake another 30 mins.

Can be found at ginnyslowcarbkitchenblogspot-------Cheesy Loaf of Bread
Old 03-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks I've used many of her recipes.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
helper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
JJJ's mom---

Have you actually tried your, X 8 of everything, suggestion? Did it take a full hour to bake? Want to try it...
thanks, helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
This sounds good.I need some nutritional yeast.She multiplies this recipe and then cooks in the oven?
How is nutritional yeast different than regular yeast? Can you add something to regular to make it nutritional or sub something?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post
How is nutritional yeast different than regular yeast? Can you add something to regular to make it nutritional or sub something?
Bread yeast -- grows in gluten

Nutrional yeast---a deactivated yeast. Its sold in flakes or powder , online or in some grocery stores that have a natural section. It's also yellow.

I use it in salad dressings to give a cheesy , nutty flavor. In casseroles in place of cheese. A little bit goes a long way. I also make "cheez-it" crackers using it.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Nutritional yeast is also different than regular yeast in that it is a neurotoxin, which excites neurons and destroys brain cells. The processing of nutritional yeast creates free glutamic acid or msg, which, among other things, triples insulin production. Despite it's name and being sold in health food stores, it's not exactly nutritional. I wish it were healthier, it sure is yummy.
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the info Esther and Bonbon.
I'm trying to avoid msg as much as possible. Is there a lot of msg in ny, or a small amt?
I see nutritional yeast in lots of recipes. Is there a way to substitute around it ?

Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I think it adds a cheesy umami boost, so something like Parmesan, Asiago etc would be a great substitute. Often people who can't have dairy use this as a type of cheese sub.

As to how much free glutamic acid (effectively MSG) is in there, it is hard to say. I think a lot depends on if it's been processed with high heat or low heat. I believe the high heat processing causes the glutamic acid to separate from the protein to which it is bound, becoming free glutamic acid. Low heat processing will cause less of this. This is the same reason it's good to look for protein powders that are processed at a low heat if you want to avoid msg.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Bonbon, that is very interesting re protein powders. Do you know of such a protein powder. I have spent a fortune on them...can't use any of the ones I have bought of late.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Ok I'm back from my basement cache of unused protein powders. It's painful to think of the dollar signs involved! So the cleanest one (and priciest) I've ever found is called Ultimate (brand) High Alpha Whey Protein. it uses cold-processed whey protein isolate (micro filtered, undenatured). This is what to look for. If anyone else knows of good clean whey powders, I'd love to hear.

As you likely know, the whey concentrates contain more free glutamic acid so it's good to avoid those. Kaizen brand (at costco canada) also uses undenatured cold processed whey isolate, but, as with so many protein powders, includes "natural flavors' and soy lecithin, both of which can be subject to heat processing that results in free glutamic acid. However, I think the amount of MSG from this should be significantly less than from protein as a primary ingredient.

Jay Robb is a bit sneaky. His whey protein powder ingredients list states the good stuff but then he puts a disclaimer on the front of the product saying something to the effect of not using the good whey during world wide shortages. So you don't really know what you are getting there. Other companies manage to provide the good stuff year round, so I'd rather go for them.

It's really enough to make your head spin. But I guess that's the whey of it
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Ok I'm back from my basement cache of unused protein powders. It's painful to think of the dollar signs involved! So the cleanest one (and priciest) I've ever found is called Ultimate (brand) High Alpha Whey Protein. it uses cold-processed whey protein isolate (micro filtered, undenatured). This is what to look for. If anyone else knows of good clean whey powders, I'd love to hear.

As you likely know, the whey concentrates contain more free glutamic acid so it's good to avoid those. Kaizen brand (at costco canada) also uses undenatured cold processed whey isolate, but, as with so many protein powders, includes "natural flavors' and soy lecithin, both of which can be subject to heat processing that results in free glutamic acid. However, I think the amount of MSG from this should be significantly less than from protein as a primary ingredient.

Jay Robb is a bit sneaky. His whey protein powder ingredients list states the good stuff but then he puts a disclaimer on the front of the product saying something to the effect of not using the good whey during world wide shortages. So you don't really know what you are getting there. Other companies manage to provide the good stuff year round, so I'd rather go for them.

It's really enough to make your head spin. But I guess that's the whey of it
You are so funny! And so thoughtful, sweet and knowledgeable, not to mention generous with your time. Thanks so much!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I use it in salad dressings to give a cheesy , nutty flavor. In casseroles in place of cheese. A little bit goes a long way. I also make "cheez-it" crackers using it.
Esther - would you share your cracker recipe?

In the bread recipe above, does it matter if you use nutritional flakes or powder? I need to order some but I don't want both. Just thinking out loud here, if you had the flakes and a recipe called for powdered could flakes be ground to powder in coffee mill?

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

I've only ever seen the nutritional "flakes". Nutritional yeast is used as a flavoring and because of it's health benefits. It does have a sm. amt. of glutamic acid, but no where near what a lot of processed foods have and the glutamic acid is naturally occurring. So unless used by the cupful, I don't think it would be a problem.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
nanoparty!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
Nutritional yeast is also different than regular yeast in that it is a neurotoxin, which excites neurons and destroys brain cells. The processing of nutritional yeast creates free glutamic acid or msg, which, among other things, triples insulin production. Despite it's name and being sold in health food stores, it's not exactly nutritional. I wish it were healthier, it sure is yummy.
This is interesting to hear! I know that Brewer's Yeast and some other forms are actually said to improve glucose tolerance (usually in the form of GTF Chromium, which I take!) and offer a number of other benefits. I have read about the connection with MSG/free glutamic acid, but it didn't seem to contain a large enough percentage to be truly worrisome? And that the glutamates in nooch aren't exactly the same as the processed stuff in MSG?

And according to some research (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19571220 errr am I allowed to link this?) the blood-brain barrier doesn't appear to allow that much glutamate transport - but honestly, this is me being pretty clueless about the whole thing. I'd love to know whatever info you've heard about nooch, since I've actually just been considering grabbing some as a less cholesterol-y alternative to dairy on occasion.
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #18
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much, Bonbon....I wrote down the name of that whey protein. All the ones I have bought of late cause migraines for me. Huge waste of money!!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

You poor thing. And it's so hard to get by without protein powder with this woe. I tried pea, sunflower seed protein etc but none are quite the same as whey.

I wonder if you could write to the company and request a sample to avoid having to shell out more serious bucks...
Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Jennifer Eloff
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Bonbon, for your sweet concern.

Here is an interesting link for those concerned about nutritional yeast: http://www.naturalhealthmag.com/blog...st-demystified

I myself have actually never used it before. It sounds intriguing.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #21
nanoparty!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Thanks for the link, Jennifer. This one seems pretty supportive of the good benefits! I opted not to buy any today, but did end up getting some "cheezy" crackers (raw, made only with seeds) that uses nooch to well..."cheeze" up the flavor!
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

omg, how could I have forgotten about this bread, I remember that I really did like it. Sad to say I know what has happened, I didn't turn around and put this recipe in my MasterCook LC book. I've done that alot and am slowly getting it fixed.
I did try Bonbons suggestion of subbing parm for the yeast, it worked well. But the reason I did is because I had some old parm, parm and asiago as it ages gets very strong but used in this bread or crackers is great.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Thanks for the recipe JJ'sMom! I definitely want to try this. I'm off for 6 days and plan to get around to trying some recipes I haven't yet. Like soul bread, banting bread, Swedish breakfast buns, and now, this one!
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
I've made this a few times and can vouch for its yumminess. Thank you for bumping this!

Sue, if you make the Swedish breakfast buns, don't worry if the "dough" is quite runny. I've never touched it. I just spoon it into 4 portions in my round cake pan. Remembering, though, I think I do let it "sit" for a few minutes before spooning. They are really worth trying.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #25
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Thanks for the tip Judy! I'm going to make them tomorrow.