Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #31
Aromagal
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aromagal
Stats: 296/202.8/160
WOE: Less than 30 carbs
Start Date: July 09
Criosa, no "cake" or muffin I've made with almond flour and protein powder, xanthan, and baking powders as ingredients (along with other ingredients of course like eggs etc) have come out with the fine texture of a traditional flour cake. Perhaps I don't have the right recipe. Do you have one that will give me that without the cake-ability?
Aromagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
Ginaaaaaa
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: Moderate carbs, whole foods
Start Date: April 2009
These two come out like regular cakes. Both are The Chicken Lady's recipe.

Almond Flour Fudge Cake

Cake:

4 cups almond flour – scooped –16 ounces
2 cups Splenda (liquid equivalent or granular)
1/2 cup Erythritol – granular
4 packets Stevia Plus
1/2 cup cocoa - I likethe Hershey's Special Dark
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/3-cup oil
4 eggs
1-cup sour cream

Frosting:

1/2-cup butter – 1 stick– room temp
1 large egg – room temp
1/3 cup granular Erythritol – powdered – I use my coffeebean grinder
1/3 cup Splenda
2 packets Stevia Plus
8 ounces cream cheese – room temp
1 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to thedryingredientsalongwith thesourcream and mix well. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middlecomes out mostly clean and cake is firm to the touch. Do not over cook… cake should still be moist. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting: Beat butter with electricmixer until light and fluffy. Add sweeteners and beat well scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the egg and beat until very fluffy…beat in vanilla.

Add softened cream cheese a little bit at a time beating until fluffy after each addition. Frost cake...store in frig.

Carrot Cake

Cake:

4 cups almond flour – scooped -
2 cups sugar free sweetener – (I use 1-1/2 cups Splenda & 1/2 cup Erythritol)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon ground ginger
1/4-teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoons vanilla
1/4-cup oil
4 eggs
1/2-cup sour cream
1/2 pound frozen carrots – thawed – finely chopped
1 cup chopped pecans

Frosting: 1/4-cup butter – softened
8 ounces cream cheese – softened
1 teaspoons vanilla Sweetener to taste

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13-inch cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and stir well.

Beat the eggs with the oil and the vanilla…add to the dry ingredients along with the sour cream and mix well. Stir in carrots and pecans. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and cake is firm to the touch.

Remove from the oven to a wire rack and cool completely.

To Make Frosting: Combine ingredients and beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Sweeten to taste and frost cake.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Criosa
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromagal View Post
Criosa, no "cake" or muffin I've made with almond flour and protein powder, xanthan, and baking powders as ingredients (along with other ingredients of course like eggs etc) have come out with the fine texture of a traditional flour cake. Perhaps I don't have the right recipe. Do you have one that will give me that without the cake-ability?
No, you're right. The egg whites probably make it lighter than a protein powder. It was just a thought.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #34
jmc305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Very interesting thread! I am into cooking, but I don't bake much. So if I understand correctly, I could peruse the net and find a suitable low carb cake recipe that uses almond flour and then add some of this magic powder to it and it will improve the taste and texture? Sounds great.

So does anybody have a "go to" cake recipe, preferably chocolate? I have tried a few different recipes, and they weren't "it" for me. I would like to have something to mimic the "butter recipe fudge" that is made by Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. Anyway...
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #35
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Very interesting thread! I am into cooking, but I don't bake much. So if I understand correctly, I could peruse the net and find a suitable low carb cake recipe that uses almond flour and then add some of this magic powder to it and it will improve the taste and texture? Sounds great.

So does anybody have a "go to" cake recipe, preferably chocolate? I have tried a few different recipes, and they weren't "it" for me. I would like to have something to mimic the "butter recipe fudge" that is made by Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. Anyway...
Our whole family (who are definitely and outspokenly NOT low carb!) loves this cake. Read the whole thread for discussions about what to put on top. I used melted sugar free chocolate chips stirred with cream to make a ganache and drizzled it all over top of the cake. This made enough to serve 20+ at my daughter's 40th birthday and got lots of requests for the recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ound-cake.html

I love chocolate and I use Hershey's Special Dark for this cake. I also use the very finest ground almond flour (skinless) that I can find--it comes from Honeyville grain and I think it is partially defatted. It makes a difference in making the cake fine-textured and not gritty.

Last edited by dianafoot; 08-04-2012 at 04:36 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #36
Aromagal
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for those recipes ladies. I've printed them out and will try them some time soon I love a good chocolate cake! The fudge cake sounds great too. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #37
joy2c
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: joy2c
Stats: 183 all-time hi@16yrs old/152/140
WOE: lower carb/cal/fat
Start Date: November, 2003
It's been a while since I've seen an "old-school" LC baking thread!!! I pretty much still bake this way. I use the same faux Cakeability recipe as RVcook does and it does work--cakes rise as much as 50% higher than without it. My recipe calls for 1 vitamen C tab crushed OR 1 teaspoon vitamen C powder. I don't worry about the "strength" of the vitamen C tab--I just grind up enough to give me 1 tsp vitamen C powder.

While you can just add it to nut flour recipes, one thing I have done is when I make a "LC bake mix" from scratch, I add in the "faux Cakeablitiy" recipe ingredients at the same time. Then in recipes, I just measure out the amount of "bake mix" called for. Seems to work.

joy
joy2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
jmc305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Thanks for the recipe Diana. I'm going to give it a try with the faux cakeability and see how it goes.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
anniesmom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anniesmom
Hi, I read this whole thread but am still confused. When using the faux cakability do we add more liquid to our recipes?
And does anyone use the Faux cakability in Chicken Lady's Almond Flour Fudge Cake or her Carrot Cake?
TIA
Sue
anniesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
Aromagal
Junior LCF Member

No, you don't change anything else about the recipe. Just add the faux cake-ability to the mix.

I haven't tried the two recipes you talk about though. Sorry
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
shunsweets
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Going to try this for my gluten free daughter's birthday cake.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #42
Guinan
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Guinan
Just want to tell you how happy I am with this DIY-recipe!
I live in Holland and most of the low carb ingredients you all use are not available here. Of course there's always the internet but the shipping charges are enough to break the bank!
I don't want to sound Dutch (=cheap ;-) ), but I'm on a pension, so this kind of recipes are really a life-saver for me!
Thank you all again for sharing!! :-)
Guinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #43
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
And just when I think I've read it all on LCF, I see this thread. Haven't tried the cake'ability yet but in reading about it, sure makes sense to this baker that it would
certainly lighten up a almond flour cake.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #44
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
So I tried the original Cakeability recipe #4, and the cake rose beautifully and had a wonderful, authentic texture. Unfortunately, there was an awful ammonia taste and smell that I could not get past and I ended up throwing the entire cake in the trash. Thank goodness it was only a six inch cake, so all I sacrificed was one cup of almond flour.

I am 99.5% certain that my powdered egg whites was the culprit. I used the Now Brand powdered egg white protein, and it has a really funky smell to it right out of the container, and in the end, it affected the cake. I don't think it would be noticeable in a chocolate cake, but in a yellow butter cake it cannot be masked, and only tastes as good as the ingredients used.

I tried it again today, but this time I subbed out the egg white powder for protein powder (I used Vanilla Quest, it tastes just like cake mix) and added a 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites, which I whipped up before folding into the batter. The resulting cake didn't rise quite as high (I would say that the Cakeability mix was about 50% higher, and the egg white/protein powder 30%) but it tasted much better and still had a much better texture than regular almond flour cake.

I will order some Deb El egg white powdered and see if that works better than the Now Brand.

Final recipe (makes one six inch cake, or 6 cupcakes)

Dry ingredients
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup protein powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp glucanommanan
1/4 tsp xantham gum
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sweetener of choice (if you like your cakes less sweet, cut by 1/4 cup)

Wet ingredients:
2 eggs
1/4 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp butter vanilla emulsion or vanilla extract

1/4 cup egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks.

Mix all ingredients together, and fold in egg whites. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until cake is done in the center.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #45
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Love the great info Englishlit, makes us all wiser. I like this #4 cakeability, I'll use it when I have a cake that has a lot of almond flour. I use the Honeyville Grain egg whites. Veryyyy large can but when used in this way I don't think the expiration date comes info effect. The expiration does come into effect when you want to use them as you would liquid egg whites, where the recipe is mostly egg whites. As in the almond flour, egg white biscuit. Because it is such a huge part of the recipe, you don't get the lift. But I haven't noticed any difference in using them in the cakeability, get the same rise as when I opened the can.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #46
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I've also heard excellent things about the Honeyville egg whites, but unfortunately they are only selling the gazillion dollar can, so I'll have to wait for them to restock in the smaller sizes.

Just by the texture and rise alone, powdered egg whites are far more superior than liquid, but I just need to find the right brand. I'm excited!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #47
divatribble
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divatribble
Stats: 207/190/160 5'8"
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2014
So excited to find this thread. Can't wait to try one if these cake recipes. Thanks for experimenting and sharing.
divatribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #48
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

This is to be said for many low carb baked goods, but I had a piece of the cake the next day, and WOW, was it delicious and the absolute perfect texture! It was good on the first day, but phenomenal on the second.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #49
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
Englishlit--did you use regular milk and that recipe?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #50
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

I used Hood Calorie Countdown milk. Cashew milk also works.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #51
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

bumping............a great item to use to lighten up any nut flour cake, still use it myself