Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyM View Post
Apparently fishermen add the corn flavoring to their bait. Fish like corn, too.
Yes but what do you add the flavoring to? I am certainly not a fisherwoman, but I thought you used squishy/ squirmy things to attract fish, not corn or other flavors. So why not put a piece of corn on the end of a hook?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #32
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Billie, you have tried Sherilee's cornbread haven't you? For anyone who might be interested, here's a link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cornbread.html

...For nutritional reasons I eat very little unfermented soy, but I do eat some of this stuff. To me it's texture is "more like cornbread than cornbread" (very agreeable), and it even tastes like cornbread (don't ask me how soy grits accomplishes that).
Yes, but where on earth do you purchase soy grits? I don't think they are available. Or can you take soybeans, toast and put them in the blender?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #33
cleochatra
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Those look so great!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #34
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Billie, if you really want to purchase the flavoring, I found it at a much cheaper price at Betty's Country Store. It was hard to find and not sure how I did in the first place. But at the top of the web page on the left side is 'product search'. If you look in that box you can do a search for 'Superior Flavoring'. Once you click you will see the page where you can choose your flavors. They list it as just 'Corn', not 'Fresh Corn'. I called them the other day and their shipping is a bit cheaper as well. You cannot order by phone, darn. You have to do it through their web site. But you will save a bit ordering from them. Interesting store, food items AND fishing items. Let us know if you order it.
Thanks Tilly. I just checked it out. Still have no idea what the shipping is. It is late tonight before I got a chance to come in, and then look them up. I'll sleep on it tonight, and decide what I'll do. Thanks again!
Quote:
Yes but what do you add the flavoring to? I am certainly not a fisherwoman, but I thought you used squishy/ squirmy things to attract fish, not corn or other flavors. So why not put a piece of corn on the end of a hook?
Yes, like Becky said, fish like it too. And they have different ways of using the flavorings. Sometimes make a dough & add the flavoring. Some artificial bate will hold the flavor & scent. I've never fished with that type bait. I do fish (tho it's been a while since I've been, but not that type fishing. And corn won't stay on the hook well), nor would it put out as much scent. I had never heard of cron flavoring before Peggy first mentioned it in her cornbread recipe a while back tho (even for fishing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Billie, you have tried Sherilee's cornbread haven't you? For anyone who might be interested, here's a link:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cornbread.html

...For nutritional reasons I eat very little unfermented soy, but I do eat some of this stuff. To me it's texture is "more like cornbread than cornbread" (very agreeable), and it even tastes like cornbread (don't ask me how soy grits accomplishes that).
Creek, I think I tried that a long time ago. Can't remember for sure tho. And I too try to stay away from soy now. (Didn't know I should even back then.) Too late for me to check it out tonight, but I'll look again when I get a chance. But I do think I either tried it, or for some other reason have avoided it. But THANKS!
Quote:
Yes, but where on earth do you purchase soy grits? I don't think they are available. Or can you take soybeans, toast and put them in the blender?
I think some stores carry it Tilly. And if you can't find it locally, I'm almost sure that Netrition does. That may be where I got mine a while back. (quite a while) Yes, I do have some in my cabinets. Too much since I now rarely use it. Don't know if you could grind the beans yourself to make the grits or not. But you would have to be careful, or it would either be too big or ground too fine. Sure not saying you can't tho.

Thanks everyone!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #35
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=crazywoman-n-wy;15443996] I think some stores carry it Tilly. And if you can't find it locally, I'm almost sure that Netrition does. That may be where I got mine a while back. (quite a while) Yes, I do have some in my cabinets. Too much since I now rarely use it. Don't know if you could grind the beans yourself to make the grits or not. But you would have to be careful, or it would either be too big or ground too fine. Sure not saying you can't tho.QUOTE]

Not at Netrition, but with another search found them elsewhere. Bob's Red Mill no longer (did they ever?) sells them.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #36
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Not at Netrition, but with another search found them elsewhere. Bob's Red Mill no longer (did they ever?) sells them.
OK sorry, I thought they carried them. Was even thinking I had bought it from them. But may have actually bought somewhere locally. I guess they weren't ever in underlined blue in this thread. Glad you found them tho. I'm not really sure if Bob's ever carried them or not. Mine are by NOW.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #37
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

OK, checkin in on these muffins & the flavoring.

First I did give in and order the corn flavoring from Betty. Thanks Harpmaker & Tilly. I also orderer a couple of the little bottles of Loraine's since I was paying shipping anyway. But those 2 (3 items total) were the only ones I wanted to order right now. No way I needed 25 bottles of Loraines or 10 bottles of the Superior Flavoring (especially since the only reason I was ordering that brand was because they are the only company that I have found that makes corn flavoring! I'm not too happy with the ingredients. But will use is seldom enough to not worry too much I guess.).
Anyway, I've ordered a bottle.
Meanwhile...........

I made chili today, and wanted some "cornbread" to go with it. I made Peggy's muffins with some tweaks (of course), and without the corn flavoring.
I did half a recipe.
I used Kevin's Carbquick flour mix for the Carbquick mix, but only used 1 1/2 TBsp, & used 1 egg & 1 TBsp whole egg powder (added water with the liquids). I use Wheat Protein Isolate 8000 rather than VWG (almost always now). Still added that even tho the Kevin's mix has some in it. I added 2 TBsp corn bran (I've always had problems with doughy cornbreads, so wasn't afraid of them drying out, and they didn't). Only used 2 1/2 TBs Protein Powder, and used 1/2 tsp baking powder. And I use bacon grease when I have it in my cornbread instead of oil, and used that. Other than than I used 1/2 the amounts and ingredients in the recipe. Well, I didn't measure the chia gel that I put in. Made up her chia gel recipe, and added about 1/2. Then added water till I got the dough about where I thought it probably should be. I baked in a preheated iron bread stick pan. (filled 5 of the 7 "holes")
These rose up at least double in size, but did deflate some when they came out of the oven. They were quite light, yet they were still just a tad "wet" in the middle (even after 20 + minutes in the oven). They were MUCH less doughy than any "cornbread sub" I've made so far.
They Need the corn flavoring! I don't think I got quite enough salt (one thing I didn't measure & use her amount). They are a little flat tasting. (Not Peggy's fault, but probably my tweaks I imagine. And didn't have the flavoring!) Next time I'll add a little Almond meal for texture. They are too bread like with all that corn bran, and nothing in there for "cornbread texture". For this reason, I might also just use the chia seeds next time without making gel first. ???

I'll try again when the flavoring comes in. I think I may cut back on the corn bran next time, and add the almond meal. I'll think on it.
Now for pictures. The one on the end that is broken was so I could test the middle for doneness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2250666.JPG (79.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P2250667.JPG (56.1 KB, 14 views)

Old 02-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for sharing your experiment. I will be interested to find out what you think of them once you use the corn flavoring.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

I'll try to get some made after I get it so I can let you know. Have no idea on when they'll even ship, must less me get it.

And correction on the other flavorings, that should be LorAnn.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #40
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
So Billie, what was the shipping cost from Betty? I was thinking about ordering from there also. Still trying to get me some corn chips!!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #41
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

I paid $6.72 shipping (USPS). UPS was $13.?? (just under $14. I prefer UPS, but not that much.
The shipping was more than what I bough, but still cheaper than Superior Flavorings direct. The cost of 1 bottle of flavoring & USPS shipping would have been about $1 (give or take a few cents) more than the bottle before shipping at SF. I still feel it was kinda spendy, but what isn't these days. For a little more I add a couple of the bottles of LorAnn flavoring. Still less than 1 bottle +shipping at SF.

I hate having to fill out the info out at a site before I can find out what the shipping is, but I finally bit the bullet & did it. I knew I could back out & not order if the shipping was still Way too high, and almost did when I saw the price of UPS shipping, and almost didn't notice I could select from UPS or USPS which was cheaper. It is a dropdown option, which I almost missed noticing. The shipping price probably goes up with the cost or weight of products, but it was the same for the one bottle or it & the 2 little ones. Don't know where the breaks are.

Did they carry some kind of "corn chip"? I didn't notice. Or are you wanting to make some?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #42
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info Billie.

I WANT TO MAKE ME SOME FRITOS!!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

Well please share if you come up with that magic flavor. Years ago I used to go through bags of those things. Talk about junk food, yikes!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #44
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

I wouldn't even know where/how to begin! If you make them, like Tilly said, let us know, and share the recipe. (Not that I personally would be likely to make them, but ya never know!) I'm interested anyway.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #45
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Corn flavoring ordered!!

I will let you know if and when.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #46
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 199.6/182/150
WOE: Atkins 4/09; CNS/Ultra LC 4/16
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Those look so great!
Thanks, Jamie. They really tasted great, too. Gonna keep tinkering with the recipe though, to see if I can improve it with a bit of corn bran.

Your experiment is interesting, Billie. It did form up into a nice looking corn stick, as my Mom used to call those.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #47
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
FRITOS DID SOMEONE SAY FRITOS?

I HAVE NEVER HAD A FRITO THAT I DIDN'T LOVE.

IF WE MADE THEM LEGAL I WOULD PROBABLY OVER EAT THEM
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #48
Tilly
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
I HAVE NEVER HAD A FRITO THAT I DIDN'T LOVE.

IF WE MADE THEM LEGAL I WOULD PROBABLY OVER EAT THEM
I am in line right behind you on that one.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #49
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Thanks, Jamie. They really tasted great, too. Gonna keep tinkering with the recipe though, to see if I can improve it with a bit of corn bran.

Your experiment is interesting, Billie. It did form up into a nice looking corn stick, as my Mom used to call those.
Let us know what you come up with Peggy.
Fluff up is a Key word here. They really did puff up. Very airy, and yet even tho it sounds like an oxymoron that they could be so airy, and still be somewhat "doughy" (for lack of a better word), they were.
Definitely not "Dried out" from the corn bran!!!
Mine definitely needs something. I think they need some almond flour, and perhaps some coconut flour, since they both tend to provide the "texture" of cornbread.

OH, and I got my corn flavoring in yesterday!!! Don't know when I'll experiment with it tho. I'm not as huge a cornbread fan as some here are. I really only like it with a few things. Chili being one of them. Won't be making chili for a while, tho I do still have a little bit left of the last I made. We kinda chilied out. I may try making a small pan of "cornbread" or "cornbread muffin/sticks" to go with that in the next few days.

Tho I liked Fritos, I wasn't a HUGE fan of them. Usually could take them or leave them. I preferred Doritos, which I preferred over potato chips. But I did like me some Fritos once in a while!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm like you, Billie. I don't eat cornbread all that often. Love it with fried or oven-fried fish. Love it with Chili. Love it with a pot of well-seasoned pinto beans. And I make cornbread stuffing with it. That's about it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #51
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yes, I too love it with Pintos. But I rarely ever eat them now. Tho they have a lot of fiber, they also still have a lot of carbs.
I'm not a fish fan anymore. I used to like it, but my tastes changed, and I just really don't care for it anymore. My husband doesn't really care much for it either, except catfish, and the way we like it, is dipped in corn meal & fried, which is not low carb, and my body doesn't tolerate it anymore. (One of the reasons I regained a lot of my weight... Long story, but not my choice really.) So it is an extremely rare occasion that I cook fish anymore. (And I know how good for you it is. )
And the chili must be homemade chili to eat with cornbread. (We like canned to eat on hot dogs, but not as in eating a bowl of chili. And we don't like homemade chili on hot dogs.)

When I made stuffing (actually dressing, I never stuff a turkey, chicken, etc.) I use(ed) half biscuits and half cornbread.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #52
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

buttoni, can you tell me how 100g of corn bran converts to cups? I see 100g has 10 net carbs and I wondered if that was about cup. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #53
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just weighed it out for you, DrJlo.....it's precisely 1 cup unsifted. I scooped out 1/4c. level 4 times right out of the bin and the scale hit 100g.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #54
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for taking the time to do that so quick. What is the texture of the bran..can I grind it to a flour or is it like wheat bran...flakes?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #55
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's a very fine, dust-like powder actually. No need to grind again. I find it dries out baked goods, so I use it VERY sparingly, like 1-3 T. maybe?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #56
Dutzie
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dutzie
WOE: LC-JUDDD 433/1732
Thanks for the link to Sherrliee's Cornbread. I had computer problems and lost that recipe. I love it. Tastes just like cornbread IMHO. Soy isn't problem for me - I didn't make it often just once in a while in winter. I made it in a small sort of personal size iron skillet.

It's great. Thanks again.
Dutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #57
drjlocarb
Major LCF Poster!

One more question...sorry. Does it have a strong corn taste?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #58
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, corn bran has a very MILD taste of corn to me. Nowhere near the flavor of kernel corn IMO.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #59
Chickamomminy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
These are great, thanks! Made them as written first time and they gave me an idea. Added sweetener (to taste, I just used Ez-Sweetz) and some almond meal (sorry, didn't measure, but it was more for texture). Baked them in muffin pan tops. Got six out of the batch and they reminded me very much of one of my high carb favorites: Thomas' Corn Toast R Cakes! Admittedly, it's been a long time since I had eaten those; but the flavor, texture and round shape made me VERY happy! I can't thank you enough!

As of today (3/29/10) I have lost 65 pounds!!! 35 more to go!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #60
buttoni
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad you liked these, Chicamomminy. I made them again just last week myself!