Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Graham Crackers!

We've cracked the code!

And these are real graham crackers, not simply low carb, pale imitations. I think that these would taste just the same made with higher carb ingredients. And I think that Sylvester Graham himself would be much happier with this low carb version of his cracker than what is being churned out now.

These smelled so good baking in my house, that telltale fragrance of a newly opened package of fresh graham crackers. This would be a perfect snack to bake around the holidays.

I'm very pleased at how this recipe turned out, and I'm more surprised that homemade grahams taste so very closely to Nabisco and store brand grahams. I'm guessing it's because some version of the recipe has been around for close to 200 years and there's really not a proprietary recipe like you have with Oreos.

There's plenty of room for improvement, but as a base and a starting point, I'm pretty proud of this and I think it's amazing as is.

I should mention that it seems like there are a lot of steps to making it, but once you have all of your ingredients, it comes together very easily.

-First, you should make sure that you have sugar free honey on hand, because this recipe absolutely will not work without honey.
-Second, we needed to make an approximation of graham flour, which is really just all purpose flour with the bran and germ added back in. Graham flour and honey together is what gives graham crackers that signature taste, and it's just not possible to recreate it any other way, but ... you're welcome to experiment and try to find a way to duplicate.
-I use Baker's Ammonia to give make my crackers and cookies crispier, but it is completely optional. Letting the crackers sit in a low heat (175 degree) oven after the initial baking will crisp them up fabulously.

Recipe:

Graham Flour--to be used for graham crackers and also can be used in whole wheat bread recipes:

2/3 cups low carb flour
1/3 cup wheat bran
1.5 teaspoons wheat germ

Makes approx. 1 cup. (I doubled the recipe to two cups)
Mix together in a bowl with a whisk. Store in a tightly sealed container or bag.

Sugar Free Honey

This recipe is adapted from Birgit's Daily Bytes. I tripled the recipe and tweaked it, but her original recipe is still very good. Peggy (Buttoni) also has a low carb honey recipe on her site as well.

1/2 cup erythritol
1/4 cup xylitol
1/4 cup liquid vitafiber
1/4 cup xylitol honey
2-3 teaspoons raw honey
5 drops stevia extract

In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat until dissolved, stirring with a wooden spoon. Let cook for about two minutes before removing from heat. Let cool completely before transferring to a glass jar with a lid.

Graham Cracker Recipe:

3/4 cups low carb graham flour
1/2 cup low carb flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup preferred sweetener (I used erythritol)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baker's ammonia
1/4 tsp salt

4 tablespoons lard or butter, chilled
4 tablespoons palm shortening
1/4 cup sugar free honey
1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons low carb milk or nut milk (I used half buttermilk/half heavy cream)
1/2 tsp butter vanilla emulsion
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl or with a food processor, combine flours, sweeteners. Add in lard/butter and shortening, and work through until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add honey, milk, and extract and mix until dough comes together.

Wrap dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes. Remove from fridge and let sit for about five minutes.

Working with half of the dough, roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper to desired thickness (the thinner you can get the dough, the more it will have the texture of graham crackers). I rolled mine out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut dough into preferred shape (traditional graham cracker shape would be about 9x6 rectangles) with a pizza cutter, fluted wheel, or cookie cutter. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until crackers are brown. If you want them really crispy, remove from oven, place on wire racks, turn the temp down to around 175-200 degrees, and let the crackers dry out in the oven on the wire racks for about one hour.

Grahams1.jpg

Grahams2.jpg

Last edited by EnglishLit; 11-10-2015 at 08:22 AM..
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Those graham crackers you made look lovely.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Nice job Englishlit, you've sparked my interest in trying to find a lc graham cracker.
JJJ'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
So when you say "low carb flour" - what exactly are you using there?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
I used Jenna Marie's low carb flour blend, but carbalose, carbquik, Bob's Red Mill, THM flour blend, or any kind of low carb gluten free flour would work as long as you add back in the wheat bran and wheat germ. I do wonder if flax could be used in place of the wheat, but since I don't have an issue with wheat it isn't something I will explore.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of flax, it adds a "slippery" quality I don't care for, and heating it negates a lot of its good qualities anyway. I'll try either Carbquik or Carbalose, I have both!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
susieqrn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 230/224.6/130
WOE: moderate low carb/JUDD
Start Date: February 2018
Oh I love you EnglishLit! Graham crackers are one thing I have really missed and couldn't figure out how to make something that tasted even similar. This is a recipe I am definitely going to try.
And coincidentally, I was just wondering what else I could use my wheat bran for!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #8
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
graham cracker pie crust. Oh the possibilities.
thank you!
Luv2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
I wish I wasn't so lazy. I would definitely make these
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom