Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #301
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Yes, I do think you will have to be the first.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #302
shoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/160/150
Start Date: June 2004
Rave reviews from my company yesterday for these brownies. I made them as in the original recipe, and added sf chocolate chips on top right out of the oven. Made a yummy glaze.

The Vitamix worked beautifully
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #303
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

Anyone try that yet with this recipe or do I have to be the first?
Report back, guinea pig!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #304
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Metqa - You should definitely try it and, since you'll be first, you should post a picture for us!

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #305
tweedamay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tweedamay
Stats: 301/284/145
WOE: Keto
Start Date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I wonder how this would work if made into a Yule Log...
I guess I'd pour it onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet/jellyroll pan.
Then roll it up after baking, then whip up some cream cheese, (cause I don't think whipped cream would work would it? I'd prefer whipped cream) with sweetener, unroll it and spread it on and roll it back up again.

Anyone try that yet with this recipe or do I have to be the first?
I think the texture and moisture in this cake would probably work pretty good for a Yule log. Give it a try!

FWIW, I don't think whipped cream would hold up in there. I think it would just start to break down and absorb into the cake. You could do cream cheese, butter, sweetener and vanilla to make a frosting. Add cocoa powder and extra sweetener (not splenda) for a frosting for the outside of the log.
tweedamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #306
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Guess I'd better go buy a can of beans.

Hey, Tweedamay, That makes sense about the whipped cream. It's just that cream cheese has such a strong flavor sometimes.

Why (not Splenda) ? Is it because of the cocoa? I've had pretty good success with sucralose and cocoa, but I'd probably use a blend anyway.

I've heard of people using Crisco to make a frosting, I wonder if I could imitate that with coconut oil?

ETA: OMG, Frostings call for SO MUCH SUGAR! No wonder I never really liked them much. I'm gonna asl my cake baking friend what she uses for frosting. It's light and cool tasting, like cream but more stable. She uses it between sheet cakes and everyone loves it. If I can reverse engineer it to make it low carb it might be good, IDK
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-11-2014 at 03:39 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #307
Charski
Gadget Gal

You can stabilize whipped cream by adding a tablespoon or two of SF pudding mix (dry) to it. It holds up pretty well that way.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #308
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Can't wait for the Yule experiment.

What Charski said is what I would do if you want the whipped cream. Oh, and you could chop up some Sfree peppermints (in the bag) to sprinkle on the whipped cream or on the top.

You know about rolling it up in a towel ( sprinkled with Splenda ) until it cools, right??

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #309
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CarlynF, I didn't know about sprinkling the towel with Splenda. That's pretty neat.

Thanks Charski for that stabilizing suggestion. I was just gonna use powdered crystal sweeteners and xanthan gum. I've got some Poly D. I wonder if that would help stabilize it also.

ETA: Also found this:
Quote:
Mascarpone Whipped Cream Frosting

Ingredients:

8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar( I'd use Xylitol and Erythritol)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Instructions:
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix the mascarpone, sugar, and vanilla on high until completely blended. Add whipping cream and mix on low until cream is mostly incorporated into the cheese/sugar mixture. Scrape bowl. Then whip on high until stiff peaks form.
Transfer to a piping bag fitted with your favorite cupcake frosting tip.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-12-2014 at 03:01 PM..
Old 01-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #310
Iwantlessofme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Melting/Down 0 sizes/ alot to go!
WOE: Low-carb, no sugar
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
With using original recipe and black soy beans would this recipe be allowed on induction?

Thank you,
Mindy
Old 01-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #311
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
With using original recipe and black soy beans would this recipe be allowed on induction?

Thank you,
Mindy
I'm gonna say no based on the "foundation vegetables" list - it's not on there.

I believe it falls in the "legumes" category which is introduced in the next step from induction.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #312
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi all…
Modified the original recipe and built a batch with Black Soy Beans, Erythritol (¾ cup), and a handful of walnuts.

Wasn't sweet enough, so we ate a couple pieces with some whipped heavy cream.

But we had 9 pieces, so we got creative.

Vitamix ready!
  • 2 pieces of cake (2/9 of the whole thing) (4 net carbs)
  • 8 oz Chocolate Almond milk (1 net carb)
  • 6 drops Liquid Splenda
  • 1 scoop Dutch Chocolate Whey Powder (unsweet) (1 net carb)
  • 8 ice cubes

Low speed till it sucked the cubes into the blades then ramp the speed up to full and hit the high speed switch for 20 seconds…and wah lah

Dutch Chocolate Cake Shake! or Smoothie…

Deep rich chocolate flavor, and only 3 net carbs each.

We've made black bean cake smoothies twice now.

It's time to make a new experimental Black Bean Cake, and change our sweetener amount (perhaps even type of sweetener) so it's sweet enough to eat just as cake. We have a diabetic friend who'd appreciate a piece of cake now and then.

The texture of the cake was great. I upped the amount of cocoa to 5 tsp instead of 3, and it was a bit too strong on the chocolate front. So we will go back to the original amount.

We plan to try powdered Truvia (bulk) as our sweetener, and add some of the Dutch Chocolate Whey powder to the 3 tsp of cocoa. We use a good quality Dutch Cocoa powder.

I'll report back after we try all this (probably in the next week).

I'd actually be happy/willing to make the cake just to build shakes. I'm pretty sure it would freeze nicely cut into 9 pieces for easy retrieval and use for shakes/smoothies.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-25-2016 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: I added the stupid html code again…oops
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #313
Charski
Gadget Gal

Larry, if it's not sweet enough, try splitting each piece in half and filling it with some SF raspberry jam (strawberry would work too) and then make a chocolate ganache with SF chocolate and let that run over the top and down the sides.

Problem solved!

This is actually DH's fave dessert (he prefers the raspberry jam) and to up the ante just a tad he likes whipped cream on top of the ganache. Hey, why not??

Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #314
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Larry, if it's not sweet enough, try splitting each piece in half and filling it with some SF raspberry jam (strawberry would work too) and then make a chocolate ganache with SF chocolate and let that run over the top and down the sides.

Problem solved!

This is actually DH's fave dessert (he prefers the raspberry jam) and to up the ante just a tad he likes whipped cream on top of the ganache. Hey, why not??
Hi Char…
The sweetener in the cake thing is the real sticking point for me on this cake.

The texture is wonderful, and I've dialed in the cocoa ratio, but I've tried Erythritol, and I've tried Splenda (liquid), and one didn't have enough sweet to it, and the Splenda had an aftertaste (I stuck to the recipe and one cup's equivalent of Splenda was too much).

I have some powdered Truvia, so I may try that next, and just taste and sample till I get the batter to be the right amount of sweet.

If I'm just doing it around the house, failures get tossed into chocolate smoothies (and are great). If I'm going to go 'public' and haul a cake to a pot-luck, it cannot have the kind of aftertaste I'm getting so far.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #315
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Larry, you can eliminate a lot of the aftertaste with a mix of sweeteners. Why don't you try some erythritol and some Splenda? I usually use a triple mix. I happen to love sucralose, but my DIL is sensitive to it. And too much erythritol gives me that cooling effect. Stevia goes from not sweet enough to bitter to my taste buds. Mix them together, and everyone (and I mean everyone) is happy, high carbers and low carbers alike.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #316
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Larry, you can eliminate a lot of the aftertaste with a mix of sweeteners.
Hi Soobee

I think you may be onto something. Truvia is a blend of two, and I do have several non-sugar sweeteners available… I'll keep experimenting till I can take this 'public' without explanation or apology (actually it won't go public till it's right).

The Black Bean (Soy bean) cake I posted about earlier with Liquid Splenda which was over-the-top tastes just fine in a Chocolate Fudge Smoothie…
  • 8 oz Chocolate Almond milk (unsweetened)
  • One scoop Dutch Chocolate IsoPure (Whey)
  • 1/9 of Black Bean Brownie/Cake
  • Ice Cubes to thicken (7-9 of em)

Into the VitaMix on low, and then ramp the speed up to suck the ice in and then hit it for 20 seconds.

The overbearing aftertaste from the Cake dissipates with the unsweetened choice almond milk and unsweetened Dutch Chocolate Whey powder.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #317
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
I've read through this whole thread and I'm going to make this recipe either today or tomorrow. This first time I will make the recipe as written, except I will use greek yogurt instead of the cream cheese.

I did have a thought...I wondered what adding 1/4 cup of faux cakeability to the recipe would do?

I'm not going to add the faux cakeability this time because I don't have the powdered egg whites but I thought I would throw it out there in case someone else wants to experiment.

Another thing, I found a recipe at King Arthur Flour for Chocolate Cassata. It's a chocolate cake, baked in a loaf pan. After the cake is cooled, it is split into 3 layers. Two layers are filled with a Ricotta/chocolate chip filling and then the top is frosted with a fudge frosting.

I thought the black bean cake would work well with this filling and frosting. I'll post the filling and frosting below in case anyone wants to try it. I'm just going to make a half recipe of the fudge frosting for this time to frost the top of the cake in the 8x8 pan.

Ricotta filling (full recipe)
2 cups, ricotta cheese
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Add ricotta to food processor and blend until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend until well mix. Remove ricotta mixture to bowl and add chocolate chips. Stir to evenly blend in. Cover and refrigerate until ready to fill cake.

Fudge Frosting (full recipe)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
pinch of salt
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla

1) Sift the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and espresso powder into a bowl.
2) Bring the cream to a simmer on the stove or microwave, and whisk into the cocoa mixture. At first the mixture will look grainy; continue whisking for a minute. You'll see the lumps disappear as the sugar dissolves and the cocoa hydrates. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3) Place the butter, salt and sifted powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. 4) Beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
With the mixer running on low speed, add the cocoa mixture a spoonful at a time until it's all incorporated. Scrape the bowl; then beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #318
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
just dropping in to say that I made the black bean cake with a beautiful buttercream frosting for an Oscar party and it was SCARFED up by all the nonlowcarbers!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #319
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Would the black soy bean version be less "gassy" than the regular bean version?

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #320
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouizi - would you share your buttercream recipe? I'm making this cake for a weekend gathering and haven't decided on frosting it as a layer cake or making as bundt cake with chocolate ganache.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #321
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
TG--it is Rosethorn's recipe--really really good--

Butter cream
4 Tablespoons butter (softened)
2 ozs. cream cheese
1 cup Swerve (confections)
1/4 c. xylitol.(powdered)
stevia
1 tsp. flavoring ( vanilla,cherry, maple etc.)

I mix everything together with my kitchenaid.Whip up really well.

when I made it, I didn't add the xylitol, which doesn't agree with me. I did a combo of erythritol and splenda drops and confectioners swerve. worked great
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #322
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Ouiz and Rosethorns

Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #323
metqa
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Would the black soy bean version be less "gassy" than the regular bean version?
I've never found the regular bean version to be gassy, and I've got some very gassy friends I would never feed this to if that were the case.
IBKKF 898
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #324
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
I think Cook's Illustrated recommends using gelatin to stabilize whipped cream.
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #325
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaAndoo View Post
I think Cook's Illustrated recommends using gelatin to stabilize whipped cream.
About a heaping tablespoon of SF dry pudding mix per 2 cups of cream works well too. I like the vanilla one most of the time but have used the cheesecake one also.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #326
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TX Tiger
Stats: 295/209/215 - 5'11.5"
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Feb 2015
So I was thinking about making a cheesecake with a small layer of this cake/brownies as the base. Wondering if people think 1) it will work or will the brownie get overbaked and be too dry and 2) if the brownie part should be partially baked ahead of time or just put the batter in the pan with the cheesecake mix. If I try it I'll use Beachgirls cheesecake recipe (which I love).
TX Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #327
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
King Arthur Flour has a recipe on their website for "Brooklyn-Style Cheesecake" that uses a chiffon cake as the base crust. You make the cake batter and bake it in a springform pan, then let it cool while you are make the cheesecake batter. Then pour the cheesecake batter over the cake layer and bake the cheesecake in a water bath. I've actually made this recipe and it's very good. I've thought of revising the recipe to make it lowcarb. The cheesecake filling is the best I've tasted.

So, I think you can probably do the same thing with the Black Bean Brownie batter, but I suggest to only make a half recipe if using for a crust or base and bake about 15 minutes, then add the cheese cake batter and bake cheesecake per your recipe directions. Another idea is to make the full brownie recipe but divide the batter between 2 pans and freeze one crust after baking.

Last edited by dldickins; 03-08-2016 at 08:50 AM..
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #328
Soobee
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn from All Day I Dream about Food has a recipe for a Brownie Cheesecake. It's really delicious.