Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Eating to your meter

Hi: I am what I consider prediabetic. My A1C is 5.7 - my Dr. does not seemed to be concerned with this but I sure am. Anyhow I really strive to eat low carb - I feel better when I do and I know it is better for me. Every morning I have a piece of Ezekial bread (sprouted wheat - no flour) I always have this with almond butter. It does not spike my BS- goes from say 94 to 109 - and stay around there. So my question is if something with carbs (14g for this bread) does not spike your BS is it OK to eat. I just can't do the eggs in the morning so this is my staple. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
I am in the exact same position as you although my A1c is a touch higher at 5.8. If you're eating low carb for blood sugar reasons and not for losing weight (as I am), then I see no reason not to eat that bread, which is a fiber rich carb. Your goal is to keep your blood sugar from spiking, so if it doesn't spike after eating a food that you love and is basically healthy, why not? I also eat bread every morning for breakfast...it is Nature's Harvest Light Whole Wheat bread with 8.5g total carbs per slice less 3g fiber for 5.5g net carbs per slice. I eat two slices with no spike. It satisfies my bread craving and keeps me happy. Others may disagree, but we only go through life once and why should we spend it depriving ourselves of foods we love if we don't have to? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-) Edited to ask this question: May I ask what your fasting BS usually is in the morning? I'm guessing it's around 94 since that's what it is before you eat breakfast. Same as mine.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 06-17-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Yes, my fasting blood sugar is usually around 94. I have to do completely no carb (25g)to get it lower than that. I don't need to lose weight so am not low carbing for that reason. I just do not like to eat eggs for breakfast and have such a hard time as to what appeals to me for breakfast. I don't like eggs or eating leftovers as some suggest.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

In my experience, cutting out carbs did nothing to lower my A1c. My fasting glucose and insulin are both normal, my weight is 105 lbs., my C-peptide is normal, I'm a life long exerciser, but my A1c is prediabetic. I also test with a meter and my numbers do not substantiate my A1c. My doctor prescribed Metformin four years ago, which also has done nothing to change my A1c. So, I believe something other than glycemic reasons is keeping my A1c in the prediabetic range, such as longer living rbc's. There was a study done which is at the NIH website regarding non diabetics. They found that the A1c's of normal, non diabetic's went up with age and was not related to average BS. The researchers speculated that something else is happening to these older adults such as their glycation rate changes as they age. So, that may be one possible explanation. I am ready to go off the Metformin as my A1c and my fasting BS (which is low 90's) has stayed the same for the past four years I've been on it.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

That is so interesting Ronnie. You have just described me! I am approaching 60 so maybe age is a factor with my A1C. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
That is so interesting Ronnie. You have just described me! I am approaching 60 so maybe age is a factor with my A1C. Thank you for sharing this.
Happy to share my story. We'll see what my doctor says when I tell her I want to go off the Metformin.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Happy to share my story. We'll see what my doctor says when I tell her I want to go off the Metformin.
I would love to hear what your Doctor says as well. Also, let us know how it goes getting off Metformin. Wishing you the best!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
I would love to hear what your Doctor says as well. Also, let us know how it goes getting off Metformin. Wishing you the best!
Thank you, Sarah! I'll be seeing her in August. All the best to you too.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Ronnie..I think that is so true about aging and blood sugar..Think about it..Bodies age and things don't work as well..

I'm on Metformin for Metabolic Resistance..I'll be anxious to see how your blood sugars do without it and what your doctor says. There are many other benefits to metformin my doctor told me.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
I have a friend who is very slim and has seen an increase in her bg since starting statins.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Ronnie..I think that is so true about aging and blood sugar..Think about it..Bodies age and things don't work as well..

I'm on Metformin for Metabolic Resistance..I'll be anxious to see how your blood sugars do without it and what your doctor says. There are many other benefits to metformin my doctor told me.
The fact that Metformin has been found in some studies to prevent certain cancers does give me pause to go off it as cancer is in my family. I guess my biggest issue with being on it is that other medical personnel, and even my PCP's online website, has a diagnosis of diabetes for me based on the Metformin prescription. I don't have diabetes so that really bothers me. I intend to ask the PA when I see her to remove that from the website. This is an entirely other issue but at one time the website also said I had a heart murmur and a history of angina....Both UNTRUE! The PA removed those for me. I may change my mind about going off the Metformin for its other benefits, I'm not sure yet. Carolyn, do you have any issues with other medical personnel assuming you have diabetes because you're on Metformin? And has it helped your Metabolic syndrome?
Jean, I'm also on a statin which may also be contributing to my higher A1c.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 06-21-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Ronnie, I don't have diabetes. But I went to a lowcarb diet doctor who had been a gynecologist previously and she was a big proponent of Metformin to help insulin resistance, etc. My blood sugars aren't perfect, but around 95 in the am.
I feel it does help with weight loss..

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

So, I've been reading up on the suspected benefits of Metformin; some studies point to these benefits and others don't. I think I may stay on it for those reasons. It will just take some vigilance on my part to keep my records from saying diabetes when I don't have it based on my doctor prescribing Metformin.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't think my doctor ordered an A1c test at my last appointment in May, but I received a Medicare statement that said an A1c test was done (which they didn't cover...not sure why), so I poked around my doctor's website and found my results. It was 5.5, which I'm thrilled about. Fasting BS was 92. I'm surprised my A1c is so low considering I've added back carbs to my diet. I'm really not sure what's going on, but I am happy.