Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2017, 04:29 AM   #61
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Char, that is awesome DH is doing such a great job taking care of you while you've been recovering.
I stayed on the soft low residue diet for a while last time. I think I was almost afraid to start eating again, even though I couldn't pin point a trigger food.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #62
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
That's me, Grace - I don't want to tempt the fates too much too soon!

Yep. DH has been a real trooper. Even his most hated job - litter box duty - has been done without complaint!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #63
Charski
Gadget Gal

How do you gals do with cheese? I've pretty much avoided it the past three weeks but had one very small (about 1") square on my smashburger patty last night - didn't seem to bother me. Still hesitant to eat it in any quantity though, fearing it might cause constipation issues!

Old 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #64
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

I have not seemed to have problems with cheese. I think starting small how you did, is a good idea. If you don't have any problems, maybe next time add a little bigger portion and see how that goes. Did you normally eat cheese everyday?

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #65
Charski
Gadget Gal

I didn't necessarily eat it EVERY day but we certainly consume our fair share in this house!

One of my favorite things is cheesetoast - a nice slice of extra-sharp Tillamook cheddar on a piece of sourdough bread, popped into a 400* oven for about 12 minutes, til the cheese is JUST starting to bubble around the edges. Remove from oven, plate, sprinkle with a bit of Hawaiian red sea salt and some freshly-ground pepper (would definitely avoid THAT for now!) and eat. Worried about that quantity of cheese (probably a good ounce, maybe a little more) for right now so I'll probably hold off til a little further down the road - just wanted to hear how you all do with it! I know it can be constipating for some and that is most definitely something I wash to avoid!

Old 06-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #66
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
char--I take magnesium before bed every night. constipation is never a problem. Do you take it?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #67
Charski
Gadget Gal

I do - and in the morning too! Mag citrate tablets. What form are you taking, Ouisue?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #68
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am taking the NOW brand that has multiple forms of MG. Mag Oxide is the one that I think is responsible for the bowel evacuation, lol. It isn't as good as Mg Citrate for coming on board for muscle/heart use, but it is just peachy at preventing constipation.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #69
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Char, I never had any digestive issues with cheese or other dairy - but I eliminated it from my diet completely over 4 months ago and will consider it a wonderful thing if I never taste any of it again. But that has nothing to do with this thread.

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
You surround me on every side; Your love is my armor, I fear no evil.
Darkness runs from Your light So I won’t be afraid.
You’re going before me and oceans are parting; You’re fighting my battles
When my feet are failing and my heart is shaking You’re fighting my battles.
~ The Afters - Battles
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #70
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I am taking the NOW brand that has multiple forms of MG. Mag Oxide is the one that I think is responsible for the bowel evacuation, lol. It isn't as good as Mg Citrate for coming on board for muscle/heart use, but it is just peachy at preventing constipation.
Thanks, Ouis - do you take one QHS then?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #71
Charski
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Char, I never had any digestive issues with cheese or other dairy - but I eliminated it from my diet completely over 4 months ago and will consider it a wonderful thing if I never taste any of it again. But that has nothing to do with this thread.
LOL Deb! I would consider myself very lucky if I could eat as cleanly as you do! Do you eat any dairy at all at this point?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #72
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
LOL Deb! I would consider myself very lucky if I could eat as cleanly as you do! Do you eat any dairy at all at this point?
No dairy at all. Well, the exception is butter from grassfed cows. All the "bad stuff" has supposedly been removed.

Eating this clean is not something I'd recommend to anyone longterm unless they were dealing with pain issues, as I am, or other serious health issues. It is pretty limiting.

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
You surround me on every side; Your love is my armor, I fear no evil.
Darkness runs from Your light So I won’t be afraid.
You’re going before me and oceans are parting; You’re fighting my battles
When my feet are failing and my heart is shaking You’re fighting my battles.
~ The Afters - Battles
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #73
Charski
Gadget Gal

One thing I've learned from this experience is ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I admire you for doing just that, Deb.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #74
Charski
Gadget Gal

Well, happy to report that eating a nice piece of grilled rib steak last night, along with a small baked potato with Greek yogurt and butter, produced no ill effects! Tonight DH is gonna grill some pork steaks which I will also try, I'm not going to overly-season mine though. His will have chipotle chile powder and garlic salt - I think I'll stick with just garlic salt on mine. Not willing to push the spice limits at this point!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #75
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Char, sounds like your healing is progressing well. Glad you could enjoy your food and no I'll effects!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #76
Charski
Gadget Gal

Thanks, Grace! The pork steak worked fine, I did use some ground sage and the garlic salt on it - and then when DH grilled it, he threw some freshly-picked sage leaves from our garden right on the coals. It was delicious.

The last two nights I've added canned green beans, seasoned with butter-flavored coconut oil and garlic salt, to my plate and those have worked out fine too. Adding things in a bit at a time.

So far - so good - have a followup with the surgeon on Wednesday, I think he'll be pleased with the progress. All the steri strips have come off the incision and it looks to be well-healed, no problems with it anywhere.

Still walking the perimeter of the 1/2 acre yard daily - made 7 laps the other day, past two days not that much because it has been cold and windy here. But at least getting in a few laps each day, and moving around a lot more in the house too - not as much need to lie down for a few minutes either!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #77
Charski
Gadget Gal

DH and I went to our favorite Japanese restaurant for lunch. I ordered the sukiyaki - sliced rib steak in a wonderful broth full of well-cooked cabbage, onions, mushrooms, tofu cubes, yam noodles, with a side of rice and tsukemono (Japanese pickled veggies, in this case, daikon, eggplant, and small cucumbers) - ate what I wanted and brought the rest home. So far - so good. I studiously avoided the lovely sunomono (cucumber/crab salad) given us by the sushi chef, as it was liberally sprinkled with sesame seeds - poor DH had to eat both (small) servings!

Last edited by Charski; 06-13-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #78
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i am watching your progress with interest, having been dx'd with "osis. I would hate having to avoid all these lovely things, but I totally get that it is all worth it to avoid suffering again.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #79
Charski
Gadget Gal

You know, Ouis, I told DH today, I could eat the way I've been eating the past 3 weeks since I got home and be happy with it. Adding in this or that along the way lets me know there ARE plenty of things to eat - and I gotta say, the avocado with mayo was Tonight we had smashburgers, I had mine plain with a small baked tater with Greek yogurt and butter and that piece of avo with mayo. I'm perfectly satisfied.

I know. All the things I LOVE to cook and eat. Well, over time, I'll keep trying small bits of this and that. We'll just have to see how it goes!

I tell ya, the agony I was in is not worth ANY food item. If I can manage to avoid the stuff that might trigger a repeat, I'll be just fine!

From what I read, and what the surgeon said, many people with -osis NEVER get -itis - I guess a lot of folks never even know they HAVE -osis til it's confirmed on a colonoscopy or other method!

Last edited by Charski; 06-13-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #80
2BoysMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 7.3.2016
I've had 2 incidents too. About 5 years apart - both landed me in the hospital for 5 days each. The last time I had an absess, but it healed up without surgery. I do think stress can be a huge trigger (for me anyway), but other than that, there doesn't seem to be any specific foods. I am VERY aware of that part of my colon, though, and any time I get even just a little ashiness there, I hold my breath, just praying it is not another flare up. That pain! Holy crap.....

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Team in Trainining alumni - San Diego marathon 2005. Half marathon in San Francisco 2007! Working hard to wipe out blood cancers.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #81
Charski
Gadget Gal

Hi Marianne! Thanks for posting your experience. Yes, it's miserable horrible stuff. Ugh.

Saw the surgeon for my second followup yesterday. He was pleased with my progress. He wrote me scripts for the flagyl and Cipro to keep on hand "just in case" and told me if I get pelvic pain, to start right away on a liquid diet and if the pain didn't abate quickly, to start the antibiotics and then call either him or my PCP to let them know I was having issues and had started the meds, then they can keep an eye on me.

I sure like him - he wanted to see the scar, so I dropped my pants (pull-on jeans) around my hips and hauled up my shirt. He says, "Well, that looks really good, but I wouldn't recommend any sumo wrestling any time soon!" I said, "That, and I think my swimsuit modeling career is finished" to which he replies, "Oh, I don't know, I think you could still do the one-piece types!" Love his dry sense of humor. If anything good came of this, I'd have to say it was the stellar care I received and am still receiving.

But he did say, "Now get out of here, you don't want to hang around too long in a surgeon's office!" LOL!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #82
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

adorable guy! In my experience, surgeons are lacking interpersonal skills--looks like you got a winner! (and he thinks you are pretty cute!)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #83
Charski
Gadget Gal

He's a keeper, Ouis! I think he said he is 70 years old - he's like the Energizer Bunny - he saw me EVERY day I was in the hospital, eight days in a row - I asked him then, "Don't you ever take a day off?" and he said only when his wife makes him, LOL! He said it was just easier to see his own patients every day than to try to brief somebody else and have them see people when he's not there. He said he saw patients any time between 6 am and midnight!

He's part of a fairly large group (for our area) and they are all pretty highly thought of. I saw one of his partners back in the 80s for my benign breast lump removal. My PCPs really speak highly of the group.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #84
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199.5/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Don't know how I missed this thread. In 2011 I was having intermittent pain on my lower left side, but it would come and go and I mostly ignored it. Finally, one morning, the pain started and kept gradually getting worse. Finally, I told DH I needed to go to the ER. I was sent into surgery immediately. I didn't know it, but I had diverticulitis and my bowel had perforated. The contents was all through my abdomen. To top it off, I was on Plavix, a blood thinner, but it couldn't be helped. I had to have this surgery. I woke up the next morning in ICU with a colostomy bag, and IV antibiotics. They had removed part of my colon, part of my rectum and my left ovary which was stuck in all the infection. I had open heart surgery in 2008 and the recovery from that was easy compared to the recovery from this colostomy surgery. Living with the bag was unbelievable. After 6 months, they reversed my colostomy and returned my plumbing back to normal. My incision from the second surgery did not heal properly, and I had to have daily home nursing for 6 months. I am back to normal now, although my abdomen looks awful, but I'm happy to be alive. Like Grace said, I cannot pinpoint any certain foods that are/were a problem. Although the portion of my bowel that had the pouches has been removed, I was told I could develop more. My surgeon told me to make sure I never get constipated, so I have stool softeners on hand at all times. Any time I get any type of pain on the lower left side I panic, and go on a complete soft diet for a while. I never want to go through that again, but still, regardless of how bad it was, I am happy to be alive to tell the story.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #85
Charski
Gadget Gal

Wow, Carol, how scary! Glad you're here to tell the tale but man getting through all that must have tried your last ounce of patience.

Wish there was a "magic answer" to this - but there isn't. Seems like what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Thank you for posting your experiences too! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #86
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: veggies/lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Charski how are you feeling now? Wow thanks for sharing your story and this thread.

Quote:
ouizoid i am watching your progress with interest, having been dx'd with "osis.
me too, but I read it on the colonoscopy report, no medical person ever pointed it out to me. Would be nice to at least be aware of it. My brother has been to the ER 2 times lately for this very thing.

And I understand it doesn't effect all who have "osis" ....

anyway thanks to all for sharing their stories/information

Anna
Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #87
Charski
Gadget Gal

Hi Anna!

I'm feeling pretty well. Still being a bit careful of what I'm eating - no nuts, no seeds, haven't really added onions back yet - but we had well-seasoned smoke-grilled prime rib last night and that didn't bother me, along with sauteed mushrooms, baked potato with butter/Greek yogurt, and a small glass of Cabernet.

I'm eating about 6 dried apricots daily and drinking lots of water. I've not had any problems with constipation and don't want any as I really think that was the root cause of my diverticulitis attack.

Knock on wood, coming up on two months since the attack and don't EVER want another one!

We're gonna use that leftover prime rib to make some tostadas on Wednesday so that will be my first foray into lettuce and some seeded chopped tomato. Fingers crossed.

No, I think probably a lot of folks with "osis" don't ever know they have it unless confirmed by colonoscopy or something. Hope you never have the "itis" - sorry to hear your brother has suffered with it.

How is everyone else doing?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #88
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Did your doctor tell you to use a stool softener? When I have C, this helps..and I probably should take one every day..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #89
Charski
Gadget Gal

He did not. What I have been doing though is eating 5 or 6 dried apricots a day. Seems to do the job, along with drinking plenty of water every day.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #90
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Okay..Thanks..I love dried apricots.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote