Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
ilove._.tv
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilove._.tv
Stats: 235/224.6
WOE: Low-Carbohydrates
Start Date: 4.2.2017
My doctor wants me to start Cholesterol Meds....

Should I?? Please help. Thank you.

Here are my recent numbers:

Past Results:

ilove._.tv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
ilove._.tv
Senior LCF Member

What can I do to improve HDL on my own??
Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Firstly there are so many cardiologists, researchers, doctors that have got blogs on why the cholesterol theory is simply not true. Zoe Harcombe, Malcolm Kendrick, Aseem Maholtra, William Davis, Peter Attia, Jack Kruse, Ronesh Sinha, and thats just a few. Google is definitely your friend when it comes to cholesterol.

The thing they have in common, is that triglycerides are the main issue, and then the only thing that differs is how low they should be, but you will infer the lower the better.

My total cholesterol is 297, but my triglycerides are 70 and my HDL is 90 and based on my own research, I have a very good cholesterol profile and would not take a statin ever. High HDL and low triglycerides means LDL is the large fluffy kind and is healthy and protective. My LDL is 193.

Simply put you need to reduce your triglycerides - what causes high triglycerides - carbs. Saturated fat raises HDL and makes your LDL the good kind.

Do your own research - its very freeing.
battler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
ilove._.tv
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battler View Post
Firstly there are so many cardiologists, researchers, doctors that have got blogs on why the cholesterol theory is simply not true. Zoe Harcombe, Malcolm Kendrick, Aseem Maholtra, William Davis, Peter Attia, Jack Kruse, Ronesh Sinha, and thats just a few. Google is definitely your friend when it comes to cholesterol.

The thing they have in common, is that triglycerides are the main issue, and then the only thing that differs is how low they should be, but you will infer the lower the better.

My total cholesterol is 297, but my triglycerides are 70 and my HDL is 90 and based on my own research, I have a very good cholesterol profile and would not take a statin ever. High HDL and low triglycerides means LDL is the large fluffy kind and is healthy and protective. My LDL is 193.

Simply put you need to reduce your triglycerides - what causes high triglycerides - carbs. Saturated fat raises HDL and makes your LDL the good kind.

Do your own research - its very freeing.
Your post means everything to me

THANK YOU

I'll do some research over the weekend.

Blessing!
Old 06-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I hate to mention this, but I had a VAP test, and my LDL is 100% Pattern A (the large, fluffy kind). My endo said that he sees this in people with high HDL and low trigs (me).

HOWEVER, my cardiologist says that there's no such thing as 'good' LDL. If the number is high, it's an issue, regardless of the type. Yes, Pattern A is better, but it's not 'good.' He says that the idea of 'good' LDL is just a misconception that has been promoted via the internet.

I had found that coconut oil raised my LDL significantly, and both my endo and cardiologist told me to stop using it because any item that can easily raise LDL should be avoided. I've since read that some people have this 'reaction' to CO, so I'm not alone.

Last edited by Leo41; 06-15-2017 at 06:16 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
battler
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

' He says that the idea of 'good' LDL is just a misconception that has been promoted via the internet.
There is lots of rubbish on the internet along with a lot of well thought out and well researched information.

The idea that good LDL is a misconception based on that fact its published via the internet is not rational. This is what dieticians who are sponsored by big sugar say. No objection to the different view, but debate the data not the publishing mechanism.

I would just ask myslef, if no LDL is good, then why does your body make it?

Last edited by battler; 06-16-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
Leo41
Senior LCF member

I didn't say that 'no LDL' is good; just that a high LDL isn't 'good' regardless of particle size.

I mentioned the internet because that's where I see constant mentions of 'good LDL' because of particle size. I have never seen that with scientific references as support. Yes, 'large, fluffy' may be 'better' to have than 'small, dense,' but that doesn't make high LDL a good thing.

Personally, I don't worry about my cholesterol; I was just reporting what my cardiologist told me.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
battler
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I didn't say that 'no LDL' is good; just that a high LDL isn't 'good' regardless of particle size.

I mentioned the internet because that's where I see constant mentions of 'good LDL' because of particle size. I have never seen that with scientific references as support. Yes, 'large, fluffy' may be 'better' to have than 'small, dense,' but that doesn't make high LDL a good thing.

Personally, I don't worry about my cholesterol; I was just reporting what my cardiologist told me.
Nor do I. I accept I am eating whole foods and that all fats have saturated and unsaturated fats combined. I do agree with you that there are limited scientific references, but this is not something that big sugar or big pharma is going to fund, so the people speaking this view can only use data that has been collected. I also accept they cannot be expected to market their science in the way that organisations like pharmaceuticals coys, kellogs etc. The only reason heart associations around the world can do big marketing is because they are funded by big corporations. The cardiologists speaking against the logic are largely on their own.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #9
Leo41
Senior LCF member

You are right about the cardiologists. I get an annual check up, and my cardio is a great guy--and very knowledgable. On my last visit, I brought him an article I'd found (science/medical) about how a ketogenic WOE is 'good' for the heart, and cholesterol numbers need to be considered differently for anyone who is regularly in ketosis.

He looked it over, smiled, and said, "But you need to understand that I am only able to recommend what is approved by the AHA." He went on to explain that doctors make themselves vulnerable to charges of malpractice and/or censure by accrediting agencies if they offer advice that 'differs' from what their agencies approve.

He tacitly agreed with me, and he's never concerned with my cholesterol numbers at all.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
Quote:
You are right about the cardiologists. I get an annual check up, and my cardio is a great guy--and very knowledgable. On my last visit, I brought him an article I'd found (science/medical) about how a ketogenic WOE is 'good' for the heart, and cholesterol numbers need to be considered differently for anyone who is regularly in ketosis.

He looked it over, smiled, and said, "But you need to understand that I am only able to recommend what is approved by the AHA." He went on to explain that doctors make themselves vulnerable to charges of malpractice and/or censure by accrediting agencies if they offer advice that 'differs' from what their agencies approve.

He tacitly agreed with me, and he's never concerned with my cholesterol numbers at all.
Well, he certainly spoke the truth there. They MUST follow their standard protocols . This means those of us that follow a different path should approach what they say with caution. After all, most doctors still preach the low fat whole grain sermon also, especially cardiologists.

You couldn't pay me to take a statin drug.

JMHO. YMMV.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
ilove._.tv
Senior LCF Member

I saw a cardio doc some years ago and he didn't recommend statins. He told me to take fish oils. My pcp is an ******* and wanted to prescribe statins. I declined. My ex is a cardiologist. I never spoke to him about his thoughts on statins. I will, once we get over our latest argument.

Thanks for your help, ladies.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post
You couldn't pay me to take a statin drug.

JMHO. YMMV.
^This. Seconding the keto diet.

The single best thing you can do to lower your trigs and raise your HDL is going on a HF/LC diet, seriously.

Personally, I don't consider 215 TC concerning. The Low HDL/High Trig are much more worrisome and those can be fixed by upping healthy fats and further reducing carbohydrates.

Statins are poison for women. The HUNT 2 study backs this up. In fact, as a woman ages, higher total cholesterol has been proven to be healthier.

Just tell your PCP that you understand they have to recommend the statins but you have huge reservations. The book "Cholesterol Clarity" by Jimmy Moore really explains the whole cholesterol misinformation situation that the AMA is operating under (also provides ways to politely turn your doctor down on their statin recommendations, if I remember correctly).

Basically, before the advent of statins (late 1970s) cholesterol was nothing more than another measure of overall metabolic function. A total cholesterol in the low 200s wasn't considered an issue because it's basically normal. However, when statins were invented a cholesterol number that was difficult to achieve with the SAD diet had to be established in order to justify the need for prescribing statins.

So, that being said, back to the HUNT 2 study. ANY benefits that are attributed to statins seem to be exclusive to men. Seriously. Women are far, far more prone to the negative side effects (and there are MANY) and a few others, including an increased risk of diabetic related heart disease (women who take statins have an approximate 50% increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes) which kind of makes taking the statins to prevent heart disease counter intuitive, no?
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)

Last edited by Avocat; 07-05-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote