Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/154/143
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: Restart 5/6/2017
What to eat with Steak?

Restarted induction today. Want to grill a steak tonight and wondering what I have with it besides steak sauce? I know I can grill onions and mushrooms, what what kind of sauce?

Thanks!
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I like compound butters - soften butter, add flavorings, roll into a log and refrigerate - when needed, cut off a fat coin of the butter and toss it on top of the hot steak. It's so good.

My favorite - one cube of softened butter, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, good pinch garlic powder, minced fresh rosemary. Mix all together. stick it in the fridge about 15 minutes to firm it up, plop onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log about the diameter of a silver dollar. Wrap tightly in the plastic and store in fridge til you want some.

You can Google "compound butters" and you'll get tons of them.

Otherwise, not much of a "sauce on my steak" person, although I have been known to use mayo with Sriracha, mixed together, on my hamburger patty!

As for sides, I like a nice fresh avocado, sliced, with fresh lime juice and Hawaiian red sea salt or other good salt. Salad is good too but I'm often too lazy!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
We like to sear the steak in a hot cast iron skillet with avocado oil. Use the skillet with the searings (is that a word?) still in it, cool a bit an add butter, mushrooms and onions (either/or, whatever you like), sautee, then add a little cream and balsamic vinegar at the end.

I'm also making steak tonight.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I also use cast iron (LOVE THAT STUFF) on my gas camping grill on the porch.

I've not heard of the compound butters, but it sounds good. Will check that out.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
We used to live in Shrewsbury, for 20 years, so know Westborough well!

Our favorite is a classic mushroom duxelles (probably best described as something of a mushroom pate) smeared on top of a grilled steak:

*2 Tb butter
*half pound of mushrooms, cleaned and pulsed in the food processor several times, until finely chopped
*sprinkling of thyme
*pepper, a few grinds of fresh, or a couple of dashes if pre-ground
*2 Tb finely chopped shallots (onion will do in a pinch)
*1 clove garlic, mashed and finely minced
*3 Tb Madeira, dry Sherry, or 4 Tb dry white or red wine (nothing sweet here!)
*4 Tb beef stock or broth
*1 Tb heavy or whipping cream
*1 Tb grated Parmesan (optional, but adds a lot of flavor)

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, then add shallot or onion.

Sauté, stirring constantly, until starting to brown. Add garlic and stir for a minute, until it's fragrant but not browned. Stir in mushrooms and thyme. Stir until mushrooms release their juices. Increase heat to medium high, and cook, stirring, until liquid evaporates. Add Madeira (or one of the subs) and cook until evaporated. Add broth/stock. Allow to cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until it is almost evaporated. Stir in cream and optional Parmesan. Taste for salt, but remember that with the reduced stock, that's often enough.

Duxelles may be served hot, or make ahead and serve at room temp. Also delicious spread over crisped low carb tortillas or toasted low carb bread. Can be mixed into an Alfredo sauce, or in a Carbonara, and served over low carb pasta for something a bit different. Very versatile.

Will keep up to a week in the fridge, or may be frozen for a few months. It's unbelievably delicious, like mushrooms on steroids. Basically a mushroom concentrate. Great way to save mushrooms for later when you get them on sale and buy too many. (Ask me how I know this...)

Our favorite veggie to have alongside a duxelles-topped steak is fresh, peeled, steamed asparagus with fresh lemon juice. With this dinner, you'll never miss potatoes! A dinner fit for royalty.

--Cat
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:09 AM   #6
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Cat, that recipe looks amazing. I am definitely going to make it. Shrewsbury and Westborough are both so pretty. I live in Boston too...
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gail, always happy to meet another New Englander!

Duxelles are somewhat of a staple of French cuisine. There are many versions, all of which are absolutely stunningly delicious. It's a flavor explosion and party in your mouth, all in one.

There's just so much you can do with it. I've wrapped phyllo around it back in my HC days, spread it on a roast beef sandwich in place of mayo, made toast cases and filled them with it for an easy, last-minute appetizer, added a spoonful or two into sauces to ramp up the flavor. You only need to use a little, and it's so delicious you'll have restrain yourself from taking a spoon to it all by itself. You can add just a few shiitake, oyster, morel, or chanterelles to it to intensify the flavor. Vary the alcohol for a different taste. Add a tsp or two of Dijon mustard in it. In place of thyme, use herbes de Provence or marjoram. Use chicken broth in place of the beef.

No hard-and-fast rules here. Use what you have, and unleash your imagination.

Please let me know what you think when you try it!

--Cat
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Cat, that does look good. Complicated, but good :-) Remember, just a dumb guy in the kitchen. Putting olive oil, pepper, and garlic salt on my grilled steak is a major accomplishment for me!

Gail, if you ever feel the need to venture into the suburbs and are feeling all mentory, let me know. We can have a nice cook-out (and I'll buy all the supplies).

Cheers,
Paul
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Nah, Paul. Don't be intimidated because it has several steps. If you have a food processor, this is quite simple. The chopping represents the lion's share of the work, and a food processor makes quick work of it.

If you think it will take too long, then you can break up the tasks. Do the onions and garlic, mushrooms, and seasonings, then refrigerate in a covered container. When ready to serve, heat up a skillet, then dump in your refrigerated mixture. No additional butter required. Stir around for a minute to heat it up, then proceed with the alcohol/broth. Finish with the cream and optional cheese.

Sometimes breaking up a recipe into smaller blocks of tasks can make it seem less daunting. The flavor is just incomparable. Better than anything you can get in the most upscale restaurant.

In short, it's more than worth the work. You can do this. I promise. My son doesn't know a sauté pan from a panhandler, and he can do it. This is just the type of recipe that puts you on the map as a great cook. Gives you your culinary bona fides. And I'm sure you're worth it!

Last edited by Baricat; 05-07-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
Trade
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trade
Stats: 215/214/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/21/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1ht View Post
Restarted induction today. Want to grill a steak tonight and wondering what I have with it besides steak sauce? I know I can grill onions and mushrooms, what what kind of sauce?

Thanks!
I don't know what kind of steak sauce you are using or how much, but you need to be careful with it if you are on induction. A lot of those sauces have a fair amount of sugar and carbs in them.
Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
LeighLovesLC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeighLovesLC
I like a dollop of softened butter mixed with some crumbled bleu cheese plopped on my steak. May sound strange, but it's delicious.

Like the compound butters Charski mentioned above, they're a great way to get some additional flavor on your steak without making an actual sauce.
LeighLovesLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:52 AM   #12
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paul, that sounds like fun! If you live near a Whole Foods, they sell some gourmet prepared sauces like Bordelaise and Hollandaise as well as balsamic reductions that might be nice with a steak. You can also make a Dijon mustard sauce by combining Dijon, sour cream, a little mayo and salt & pepper.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighLovesLC View Post
I like a dollop of softened butter mixed with some crumbled bleu cheese plopped on my steak. May sound strange, but it's delicious.
Nah, that actually sounds good. May have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Paul, that sounds like fun! If you live near a Whole Foods, they sell some gourmet prepared sauces like Bordelaise and Hollandaise as well as balsamic reductions that might be nice with a steak. You can also make a Dijon mustard sauce by combining Dijon, sour cream, a little mayo and salt & pepper.
No Whole Foods close by, but we do have a Wegman's in Northborough. People rave about that place, but frankly, I don't see the attraction. It's always packed and very difficult to navigate. Maybe if I'm feeling suicidal one day, I'll look in there and see what they have.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL about Wegman's! There is a Wegman's in Burlington near one of my clients and my account team always asks to visit there after client meetings. They do have great stuff though -- really high quality meats, seafood, great produce and gourmet treats.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Loaded broccoli is excellent with steak. Just cook your broccoli then add butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon, like you would a baked potato

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Loaded broccoli is excellent with steak. Just cook your broccoli then add butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon, like you would a baked potato
Yeah, I love my broccoli. Had a bunch yesterday with some steak. I'll have to try "loading" it
Old 05-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
cjack1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I have made compound butter with A1 sauce. Just soften butter. Mix A1 into softened butter. Use a ratio of 3 parts butter to 1 part steak sauce. Form into a log and chill. Slice into medallions or shape as desired.

This cuts the carbs by 75% but still gives the flavor of the steak sauce. I actually prefer this to straight steak sauce now. I think you could do it with almost any steak sauce.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #18
Eccentress
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eccentress
Stats: Sz12/12/6
WOE: Atkins/SB hybrid
Start Date: 05/17/2017
This sounds so good. I'll have to try it the next time I have steak!
Eccentress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #19
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Sounds weird, but I can eat cabbage fried in butter with any kind of meat and it just seems to go well with whatever. I can buy a small head and cabbage and cut into strips and it will last me a whole week. Love that stuff!! The cabbage soaks up all of that delicious juice from the steak.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #20
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Jicama chips, deep fried, dusted with salt, pepper and onion powder.
So good! Better than french fries honest!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #21
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
My question would be, what can't you eat with steak. I love a good steak. I don't really do much as far as a sauce. I think the compound butters and and mushroom duxelles sounds good.
You can always start or end with a good salad. Loaded broccoli is great and cauliflower can be done the same way. Mashed cauliflower is another option. Roasted cauliflower, roasted radishes ( they are amazing) roasted broccoli..do you see a theme here!?!
The crumbled Blu cheese would be good too. I would probably crumble some bacon in there too.. because it's bacon.
Your question has given me some nice new options. I really think I need to check out Barbo's jicama chips...they sound delicious!

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #22
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
I THOUGHT I POSTED HERE.

I must have posted to another thread in error. my fave condiment (no matter how expensive the cut, is Jewish deli mustard. I even take it to the restaurant with me, in case I order steak. with the steak, I love sauted, grilled,or roasted, veggies, which MUST include mushrooms and celery,whatever else is in the mix, and heavy on the garlic please! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #23
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I love Daisy sour cream with horseradish.

My new favorite with protein is a side of spinach, artichoke, parmesan dip (from Costco).

I avoid steak sauces and ketchup.
susan46 is online now   Reply With Quote