Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
tsammons90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tsammons90
Stats: 295.5/271.5/125
WOE: protein sparing modified fast
Start Date: March 2016
HELP!

I'm new here, my name is Teela. My boyfriend and I started a VLC diet about 2 months ago and we're looking for new recipes. Something interesting yet still low calorie and low carb! Pizza, pasta, and Chinese food are weaknesses, not to mention Ice Cream. Any recipes or links to things I should check out would be fantastic. We're tire of eating the same old boring food everyday.

Thank you in advance,
Teela
tsammons90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
This is newly added and a good source of things:

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=887612

Also check out the Stickies threads at the top of this page.

And last but not least, use the Search feature on this thread to look for things you want, i.e., pizza, pasta, etc.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
When I get a pizza craving, I either make one in the oven using a low carb tortilla as the crust, or make a crustless one in the microwave (cheese and sauce and other toppings).

For ice cream, Halo Top is the best (especially the Birthday Cake), but I do like Breyer's Carb Smart Chocolate. Just a 4 ounce serving though.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
Also, you can make Fried Rice or Spanish Rice easily using the new frozen cauliflower rices that are available.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/125/135 Start:size 24, now:size 2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Teela, I just found this site only a couple of weeks ago. The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read! You will find a virtual treasure trove of recipes, ingredient information, and general low carb help right here.

For me, it was like being a kid hiding under the covers with a flashlight! I was habitually bleary-eyed, because I was staying up every night till the wee hours, reading and trying kitchen experiment after experiment. I mean, I became like Ray Milland in that old, old movie "Lost Weekend" with the posts of this website taking the place of booze! I'm still thinking it's not a remote possibility that I may need a 12-step program. My experiments are still continuing, just about every day.

To start, scan through the titles of the various posts to find recipes that interest you. You will find many links to other related recipes this way. Also, as Charski pointed out and I can second with enthusiasm, use the search function. Jump right in.

I'm literally blown away by the vast compendium of knowledge on display here. I'm a classically trained professional chef, have been low carbing for a long time, but eating had long ago become rote and unimaginative. I could appreciate a good steak or some ribs, but clearly, I was bored.

Reading all the voluminous know-how on this forum and putting it into practice has required learning many new precepts about new ingredients that I never knew existed less than 2 months ago, and techniques that are brandy-new to me. Culinary theory has always floated my boat, and putting theories I know together with so many that are new to me, in order to create a great recipe is like putting a puzzle together. I feel like a stranger in a strange land, similar to how I felt when I started culinary arts school.

Now, I find that this site has lit a white-hot culinary fire under me all over again to learn all I can about making low carb food, including ice cream, bread, and fabulous desserts, that is not just nutritious and serviceable, but that is unbelievably and delightfully delicious. Food that my husband and I love to eat. Now THAT is exciting!

Become a sponge. Soak up everything you can. You will never regret it. The low carb lifestyle found on these pages is not a sprint; it's a journey. A phenomenally fantastic and rewarding journey.

And along the way, don't forget to enjoy the ride!

--Cat
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Teela,

Well said, Baricat...When I started lowcarbing 15 years ago, we had Beachgirl's Cheesecakes. Then things began to blossom. Linda Sue's recipes are amazing.

Just read, study, but don't overdo the sweets. It is easy to overeat those wonderful things.

Welcome!!!

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

I'm gonna say this too, because it bears keeping in mind! Often, when people start low-carb, they look for ways to keep eating the same things they ate before - well, you should maybe rethink that, because I think it's not the best way to look at this lifestyle change. Sure, there are substitutes for pasta, pastries, pizza, et al. but they will NOT be "exactly like" what you were used to eating, and expecting them to be so will surely cause disappointment and the urge to just eat those carby things you so loved!

Instead, find low carb foods you DO love and concentrate on those things. Once I quit feeding my sweet tooth with low carb desserts every night, two interesting things happened - I really started dropping pounds, AND my sweet tooth got told to SHUT UP already and stop bothering me! Now it's very rare that I eat dessert of any kind, and I've also given up my beloved Coke Zero, because it too was fueling that dang sweet tooth of mine!

There are plenty of Chinese recipes on this forum, there are plenty of pasta substitutes, but IMHO the best thing you can do is stop expecting to eat like you did before while changing over to a low carb WOE - embrace all there is to love about it!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Right on, Charski! I'm on maintenance now so my situation has shifted from a focus on weight loss. It's worthwhile to repeat that when you're trying to lose weight, staying diligent for the majority of the time on following the LC basics should be the primary pursuit, with only an occasional treat here and there.

--Cat
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Charski
Gadget Gal

Fully concur, Cat. And if I haven't already said so - I'm glad you're here! You add a great perspective!

Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
tsammons90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tsammons90
Stats: 295.5/271.5/125
WOE: protein sparing modified fast
Start Date: March 2016
Thank you so much guys! I've been surfing the sight and I've actually printed a couple of recipes. I plan to search for more interesting recipes instead of just the bland chicken breast and white fish. I can only eat that so many night in a row before I get tired of it.
I really appreciate all the great suggestions!
tsammons90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Charski
Gadget Gal

Glad to have you aboard - there are SO many wonderful recipes and talented cooks on this site. No reason to be bored of this WOE, ever!

Old 05-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

New Lease On Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Fully concur, Cat. And if I haven't already said so - I'm glad you're here! You add a great perspective!
Charski, that's so sweet of you! Thank you for the cordial welcome.

I'm so, SO thrilled to be here. I've enjoyed reading your posts. You've clarified a lot of info for me, helped me piece together the puzzle, more times than I can count.

The most amazing thing is how there are so many conditions that LC makes better. At times, it feels surreal that for such a long time my sole focus was losing weight, when a couple of weeks ago, my endocrinologist said something I had never thought I'd hear in this lifetime, that I need to STOP losing. Took me a few hours to wrap my brain around that one.

Losing is so natural on LC that I find that now it's time to relax and enjoy some goodies. Those years were valuable for teaching me portion control. I don't overindulge now, can't overindulge, and it's completely automatic! It's not self-control or willpower. It's totally natural.

The weight loss has slowed, but even with some goodies, pounds are still coming off. I went from being a major, incessant binge eater to now often forgetting to eat, and only wanting very small portions when I do. No desire to overindulge in anything. LC has liberated me. From the pounds and from the cravings.

Now, granted, it took 10+ years to get here (I'm a slow learner!) but the operative thing is I AM here now. And I will bang the drum for LC because of that. It gave me my life back. I had several serious, compromising health issues and collateral complications, which are now gone, gone, gone! Not to mention that there is a whole other Cat floating around somewhere up in the cosmos - I lost close to half my weight. (Unfortunately, that second half did NOT take the loose skin with her - LOL!! Cosmos Cat left me with all of that. Ten to 12 pounds, by the doctor's estimate.)

How cool is it now that I can find recipes on here to help me with my new need to pad the caloric intake? So that's where my brain is now. Very different from where it used to be? Check. Different from most on LC? Check! Another new approach? Check! The beauty of it is that it all works!

And this recipe forum is the intersection between losing weight and living healthy forever more.

Is LC an outstanding way of life, or what?!

--Cat
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
Charski
Gadget Gal

LOL, I love your fervor - I'm the same way! I have to hold myself back a lot of times because I can really get on a low-carb tear when someone asks for advice or questions my WOE.

Well, my newfound friend, enjoy this part as long as you can - not sure your age (nor am I asking, which my mother always told me was impolite!) but if you have yet to hit perimenopause/menopause it's a whole new ballgame.

I'm now about 10 years post menopause and it's hard to lose anything any more but I've decided to be happy with where I am. Would I LOVE to lose 10 more pounds? I would. Am I willing to deprive myself to do it? I am not. So there ya have it, I will just revel in the fact that at 63 years old, I've been doing LC for 14 years, have done very well with it and only a couple blips along the way which were easily righted, and if I have 10 extra pounds in case of famine or EMPs or the zombie apocalypse, I guess that means I'll be able to hang in there a little longer, right?

And to answer your question, YES, it IS an outstanding way of life!

Feel free to call me Char. All my friends do!

Old 05-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Don't know why, Char, but you immediately seemed like a Char to me! Great to hear that your other friends think so, too!

Hmmmm. I've been pondering the metaphysical ramifications of a zombie apocalypse. My endocrinologist thinks about it, too, it would appear. I guess it was when he saw my ribs sticking out through my chest and back that he said it was time to take it a bit easier. My main reason for not wanting to abandon LC ever is that it keeps my diabetes from worsening, which it had been doing rapidly. I've even ditched some of my meds.

So now, I'm trying to pack on more calories to stay where I am, but it's proving a challenge. Weird problem, I know. I simply can't eat a lot anymore. Just not interested. But at my age, and with my prior medical history, it does concern me a little about getting hit with an illness and having no available cushion to weather it.

I'm very close to your age, so I'm intimately acquainted with all the lovely little delights of menopause. As Bette Davis once said, looking unblinkingly into the camera, "Old age is NOT for sissies!"

I actually feel so much better than I did more than 15-20 years ago. LC made such a massive difference in the quality of my life. I'm no longer bed-ridden. I can go where I want, when I want (usually the beach.) I no longer get shaky and sweaty at the thought of fitting into an airline seat (it took 7-8 years for that to happen! I was thin, but the seat-fit phobia proved difficult to shake, even so. Flying stressed me out. Bad.) I don't need insulin. I'm no longer one chocolate cake away from a heart attack. I'm happy almost all the time.

I have so much to be grateful for. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

--Cat
Old 05-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
Charski
Gadget Gal

Well I applaud you, girl, for digging in there and doing what you needed to do! I've never run into the "you need to gain a little weight" problem, LOL! I DID once get down to 118 (side effect of a divorce) but that was too little on my 5'5" frame. "Comfy" for me is around 135 but I'm not gonna sweat it now.

I'm so glad you've found what works for you. AND I'm so glad you found LCF! Kindred spirits here for sure.

I'm happy most all the time myself. I figure life is too short to treat it otherwise.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

More in common. We also happen to be the same height! If you were 118, then you do know what it means to need to put on a few pounds. Still, I doubted my ears that I had heard that from anyone, let alone my doctor.

In my case, since I'm carrying around loose skin leftover from my erstwhile obese days, my doctor considers my "real" weight to be the equivalent of 115 right now. My daughter calls me "a bone bag" and is always on my case to eat a sandwich. HA! Only if it's on Kevin's or Sharon's bread!!!

--Cat
Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #17
Charski
Gadget Gal

Have you run across Barbo's recipe for onion rye bread yet? It's not a yeast bread but I tell ya it is some YUMMY stuff. Love it with our homemade pastrami.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Oooooh! Sounds good. Thanks again for the pointer. I'm all over it.

--Cat
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #19
theredhead
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/158/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I started low carbing almost fourteen years ago, and Linda Sue's recipes have really helped. I keep a list of some of the ones my husband and I particularly like, and have shared it with many friends who are just getting started. Of particular note is the pork rind pizza crust. My husband still asks for it all the time! We love Italian sausage and mushrooms on it. Good luck on your journey!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #20
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
For low carb pizza, consider Googling the recipe for Fathead dough. Also we make low carb pizzas using either Portobello mushrooms or eggplant as the crusts and using Rao's tomato sauce along with low carb toppings like cheese and veggies.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
LOL, I love your fervor - I'm the same way! I have to hold myself back a lot of times because I can really get on a low-carb tear when someone asks for advice or questions my WOE.

Well, my newfound friend, enjoy this part as long as you can - not sure your age (nor am I asking, which my mother always told me was impolite!) but if you have yet to hit perimenopause/menopause it's a whole new ballgame.

I'm now about 10 years post menopause and it's hard to lose anything any more but I've decided to be happy with where I am. Would I LOVE to lose 10 more pounds? I would. Am I willing to deprive myself to do it? I am not. So there ya have it, I will just revel in the fact that at 63 years old, I've been doing LC for 14 years, have done very well with it and only a couple blips along the way which were easily righted, and if I have 10 extra pounds in case of famine or EMPs or the zombie apocalypse, I guess that means I'll be able to hang in there a little longer, right?

And to answer your question, YES, it IS an outstanding way of life!

Feel free to call me Char. All my friends do!
I've got 10 years on you, and that same 10 lbs. But my doctor says at 74 it is actually good for me to be carrying an extra 10 lbs or so. LOVE that man! He has been my doctor for 46 years, so he knows all the ups and downs. I'm comfortable with my weight where it is, and it stays within five pounds either way. When the weather is very hot (Phoenix...110 and up in the summer) I tend to pick up a few pounds because it is just TOO HOT to do anything strenuous. Then in the winter when we have gorgeous weather, I lose it again.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #22
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, I've read quite a bit about keeping a few extra pounds around as you age. Gives you a little cushion, so to speak, in case of an illness or lack of eating episode that might otherwise pull you into the danger zone of weight loss.

I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm no fashion model these days in any regard!

Old 05-05-2017, 05:03 AM   #23
enemysugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/196/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
I'm gonna say this too, because it bears keeping in mind! Often, when people start low-carb, they look for ways to keep eating the same things they ate before - well, you should maybe rethink that, because I think it's not the best way to look at this lifestyle change. Sure, there are substitutes for pasta, pastries, pizza, et al. but they will NOT be "exactly like" what you were used to eating, and expecting them to be so will surely cause disappointment and the urge to just eat those carby things you so loved!

Instead, find low carb foods you DO love and concentrate on those things. Once I quit feeding my sweet tooth with low carb desserts every night, two interesting things happened - I really started dropping pounds, AND my sweet tooth got told to SHUT UP already and stop bothering me! Now it's very rare that I eat dessert of any kind, and I've also given up my beloved Coke Zero, because it too was fueling that dang sweet tooth of mine!

There are plenty of Chinese recipes on this forum, there are plenty of pasta substitutes, but IMHO the best thing you can do is stop expecting to eat like you did before while changing over to a low carb WOE - embrace all there is to love about it!
enemysugar is online now   Reply With Quote