Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Buns from Kevin's flour mix

Made rolls from Kevins flour mix. I decided not to change the WPI 5000 and see if it worked. It seemed to work really well just as it was written. I got them just a little bit too brown. Forgot to set the timer. I've never posted a picture before. Hope this works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0907.jpg (30.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.jpg (39.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0906.jpg (33.8 KB, 14 views)
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, those are gorgeous! Good job!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb & Low Calorie
Start Date: June 2016
Yes, I am also using his original recipe re: the WPI500, and getting good results. It's so nice to have this "fiesty" LC bread dough! Meaning one that rises well, and has a normal bread texture.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

"It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~"

Char, your signature really speaks to me, as I currently am working on breaking some long time bad habits...to stay in a bad rut IS much easier, than working hard for real change
Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Char, oh how funny! I looked up Ondine on Rotten Tomatoes, and then put a hold on it at the library...currently DH & I are really enjoying The Lobster (extremely quirky!), and we were thinking we'd like to see what else Colin Farrell has been in.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Made rolls from Kevins flour mix. I decided not to change the WPI 5000 and see if it worked. It seemed to work really well just as it was written. I got them just a little bit too brown. Forgot to set the timer. I've never posted a picture before. Hope this works.
Which of his recipes did you use...the Carbquik one or the Carbalose one? I have made the Carbalose pita recipe for bread in the past and liked it.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
"It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~"

Char, your signature really speaks to me, as I currently am working on breaking some long time bad habits...to stay in a bad rut IS much easier, than working hard for real change

Char, oh how funny! I looked up Ondine on Rotten Tomatoes, and then put a hold on it at the library...currently DH & I are really enjoying The Lobster (extremely quirky!), and we were thinking we'd like to see what else Colin Farrell has been in.
Hey Sunny! I loved that quote the moment I heard it. That's a very interesting little movie - even DH enjoyed it. I hope you like it too!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #8
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

I used the carbalose version of Kevin's mix. It is the one on the last page of his breads thread. I basically use the bread recipe there but add 1/2 c additional almond flour to it. I like the way it keeps the bread a little less spongy. It still rises for me fine and I am so happy to get to eat real bread on this perfect way of eating.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Oh my gosh, those look fabulous! I must try that recipe! Thanks for sharing
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
cselzler - is it the loaf bread recipe from the Bread, biscuit, bun & roll thread?
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

It's my own adaptation of it.
2 1/2 cup Kevin's flour mix
2 t. Honey
1 rounded Tablespoons yeast (I don't scrape off the spoon to level it )
1 egg
1/4 c. Butter
1/2 c. Almond flour
1/4 t. Salt
1 to 1 1/2 c. Warm water
I mix it in my KA mixer. Take 1/2 cup warm water and mix it with the honey and the yeast. Let it proof till foamy. Put all dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir. Lightly beat egg and mix with melted and cooled butter. Star mixer running with dough hook attached. Pour in the yeast mixture then egg mixture. Allow liquids to begin blending into dry ingredients. Add additional water till a dough has formed. How much depends on dryness of flours. The buns I made took 1 1/4 cup all together. But there have been batches that took the entire 1 1/2 cups. I also added a few drops Splenda to sweeten them a bit. I kneaded this dough for about 5 to 8 minutes. I let it rest for a few minutes then formed it into 14 rolls, put them a little ways apart on the double layered cookie sheet I have, which had parchment on it. I put the sheet in my proofing box with boiling water in 6 -1/2 pint canning jars underneath the sheet. Let them rise around an hour and a half. They need to double in size before baking. Then put them in the 350 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. I forgot to set the timer so these baked around 16 minutes.

Last edited by cselzler; 04-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add water
Old 04-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #12
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

I also used glucomannan in the flour mix in place of the thickener. It seems to work very well for the replacement. The rolls came out with that quality of texture like the French bread from Walmart. I used to be a baker there. I tried to find a way to put that quality in my home baked breads before. Maybe gluc is it.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Went to make these again and realized I wrote the ingredients wrong. The ingredients should say 1/4 c additional almond flour. So sorry. I guess I'm getting old. It should be ...

2 t. Honey
1 egg
1/4 c. Butter
1/4 c. Almond flour
1/4 t. Salt
1 to 1 1/2 c. Warm water
I mix it in my KA mixer. Take 1/2 cup warm water and mix it with the honey and the yeast. Let it proof till foamy. Put all dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir. Lightly beat egg and mix with melted and cooled butter. Star mixer running with dough hook attached. Pour in the yeast mixture then egg mixture. Allow liquids to begin blending into dry ingredients. Add additional water till a dough has formed. How much depends on dryness of flours. The buns I made took 1 1/4 cup all together. But there have been batches that took the entire 1 1/2 cups. I also added a few drops Splenda to sweeten them a bit. I kneaded this dough for about 5 to 8 minutes. I let it rest for a few minutes then formed it into 14 rolls, put them a little ways apart on the double layered cookie sheet I have, which had parchment on it. I put the sheet in my proofing box with boiling water in 6 -1/2 pint canning jars underneath the sheet. Let them rise around an hour and a half. They need to double in size before baking. Then put them in the 350 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. I forgot to set the timer so these baked around 16 minutes.

Last edited by cselzler; 04-08-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now:size 2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Stellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Went to make these again and realized I wrote the ingredients wrong. The ingredients should say 1/4 c additional almond flour. So sorry. I guess I'm getting old. It should be ...

2 t. Honey
1 egg
1/4 c. Butter
1/4 c. Almond flour
1/4 t. Salt
1 to 1 1/2 c. Warm water
I just tried this recipe today, and it is truly outstanding in every possible way! The best of the best.

First off, the rise. I did what I normally do to proof. I place a very wet sponge in my microwave on high for 3 minutes. Then, take it out and replace with my rolls/bread and set a timer to check at 25 minutes.

Well, I walked through the kitchen at 15 minutes and thought I'd look in on my rolls. Good thing I did!! It was like an explosion had taken place. They had risen into gorgeous pillows! I put them in the oven immediately. I was afraid they'd deflate as happens so often with my LC breads. Not these! They came out the oven with every lovely millimeter of their original rise! The texture is light, moist, and fluffy. Just perfection. Yummy, yeasty perfection. No off tastes. Just like real, HC rolls, perfect receptacles to melt your butter and/or LC jam. Or to split and load up with your favorite sammie fixings.

The only thing I will change is that although I baked for 18 minutes, they did not brown, even slightly. Since all the breads I bake are done at 375-400 degrees, I'm going to boost the oven temp to 375 the next time, and set the alarm to check at 10 minutes.

Best LC bread I have made. Thank you for a phenomenal recipe, cselzler!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Sharon and Cat

Today all of my ingredients arrived via Netrition and I'm anxious to
try out the bread tomorrow morning.

I have read and re-read the threads. I shall make the final one that Sharon/ Cat posted.
I have a serious question. Which of the Kevin's bread mix recipe did you use
as your flour? Please help. I need to get everything together properly.

Thanks much,
b
Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I didn't find the glucomannan in the instructions??
Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Also, I didn't find the glucomannan in the instructions??
Barbo, I believe the glucomannan referred to is what cselzler uses when she makes up Kevin's baking mix in place of Thick It Up. I've never made that sub before, have always used the Thick It Up.

I use Kevin's final flour mix, using Carbalose. Lindasl posted the weights for each of the ingredients this week, which is a huge help to me. You can find that under my thread entitled "Kevin's Final Baking Mix." If you are having trouble finding it, just PM me.

I felt that both taste and texture wise, this recipe is superior. Hands-down the least amount of Carbalose taste, and bakes up so high and fluffy, with just the right degree of moistness. Bake them both and compare side-by-side.

Just two things to make you aware of with this recipe. Cselzler says in her afternotes that adding a few drops of sucralose (like EZ Sweetz) gives that little touch of sweetness that all HC breads have from the carbs. I didn't see that until my loaf and buns were in the oven. Still, the taste was excellent, but I do miss that little barely-sweet afternote, so I'll be sure to add a couple of drops the next time.

Also, be sure to keep an eye on the rise. It was just so intense. 15 minutes. That's all it took. Now YMMV, as I live in south FL, and it's quite hot and humid here already. Up north, your kitchen will be cooler no doubt, so you might not experience this phenomenon. But if you do what I do and turn your microwave into a proofing box by nuking a very wet sponge for 3 minutes before you put your shaped loaf in, just keep a close watch on it so that it doesn't overrise.

I've never experience such a fast, powerful rise from a LC bread before. Be sure to start your oven preheating when you start proofing your shaped rolls/loaf (or even slightly before!) so that if you find the rise is exploding, your oven will be ready right there and then to bake. If you have to wait for your oven to come up to temp, this can go so fast that your bread could over rise while waiting, and then it will deflate while baking. Fortunately, when I found it to be doubled, the oven was ready!

Last edited by Baricat; 05-12-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Baricat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
I'm going to have to try this recipe. Question for you expert bakers: is high humidity the key to a good rise? It's not that humid here in California. Sometimes I get a great rise and other times just nothing.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Linda, any yeast dough is going to rise better with humidity. Since you live in a dry climate, I would recommend that you use your microwave as a proofing box, in order to create the perfect environment to foster the best rise. I've related how to do it above in my post.

The additional bonus is that it fully sanitizes your sponge, in addition to giving just the right amount of heat and humidity for proofing your yeast dough. Good trick to remember when it starts to smell funky, as they so often do. Win-win! Down here in FL, the funkies happen a lot, because it's always so humid, even with the air conditioning. I microwave the sponge every night, automatically. Then, I know I'm starting with a bacteria free dish sponge every day. Just make sure the sponge is very wet, as in almost dripping, before you start nuking it. Also remember to do this after you've been prepping or cooking poultry, as we all tend to wipe up the counter without even thinking.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #20
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

I created a proofing box from a large sterlite plastic bin. I tip a bowl upside down to set my pan on and fill 6 - 1/2 pint canning jars with boiling water around or below the pan. Then put the lid on and let the rolls rise. Keeps moisture and warmth in. The bin is semi see thru so I can see the rolls or bread as it rises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.jpg (27.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #21
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

genius! grrreat idea!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Yes, agreed, these are both great ideas. In the past, I have put loaves in the oven with just the light on for warmth but it never occurred to me that humidity was needed too. That may explain why my bread rises great sometimes but not so great other times. Would that also explain why the dough is stiffer sometimes too? In other words--do ingredients absorb more or less liquid depending on the humidity level?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Definitely. Some days the recipe I make takes up to 1/4 cup more water than other days. That's why I always have a range of water amount. It does help to use the same method each time to rise the rolls. That's why I use my proofing box. It keeps the rising environment pretty consistent warmth and moisture are always similar.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #24
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Yes, agreed, these are both great ideas. In the past, I have put loaves in the oven with just the light on for warmth but it never occurred to me that humidity was needed too. That may explain why my bread rises great sometimes but not so great other times. Would that also explain why the dough is stiffer sometimes too? In other words--do ingredients absorb more or less liquid depending on the humidity level?
Agree with cselzler on this. Flour readily absorbs ambient moisture. The water used in a recipe is merely a guideline, never an absolute. Start on the lower end at first, adding more, bit by bit, until the right texture is achieved.

The best way to judge is by the feel of the dough, which should be as moist as you can work with without sticking a lot to your hands. To test, squeeze a piece in you hand, and it should stick for no more than a few seconds before dropping clean from your hand. If it's so sticky that it leaves a lot of remnants on your skin, add a bit more flour. But easy does it. No more than 1 Tb kneaded in at a time.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #25
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both! I use a bread machine for mixing and kneading. I remember reading somewhere to add liquids first, then the dry. If the liquid amount is variable, is it better to add the liquid last but not all at once, reserving some to check the stiffness of the dough, or add the amount called for and then add more dry if needed?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #26
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Finally! I've made "The Bread"

I cannot tell you how much DH was pleased, surprised and loved having
"SANDWICH BREAD" he exclaimed! lol

Thanks all of you, Cselzer, Cat, Sharon, Lindasl, and all who were involved
in the evolution of this dear recipe from Kevinpa. Kevin we miss your genius,
and kindness, and generosity of spirit. He was patience personified.
You are passing it all onto the next generation of low carb yeast bread
seekers.

My association with LC Friends, Netrition, all the wonderful gals who moderate
our board, also, all the LC Friends that I have made, has been long and wonderfully productive.

Now that I'm not terrified to dive off the board of yeast driven
'weirdo' flours (wpi 5000 and 8000 plus the starches etc.) I can plunge
into the depths of yeast baking. You all have been so helpful.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
these look amazing!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #28
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Barbo, so glad it worked for you! And that there's been a resurgence of interest in Kevin's amazing efforts.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #29
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The 'dripping wet sponge' idea is fantastic. I had a real crusty crust like on
sour dough.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
I cannot tell you how much DH was pleased, surprised and loved having
"SANDWICH BREAD" he exclaimed! lol

Thanks all of you, Cselzer, Cat, Sharon, Lindasl, and all who were involved
in the evolution of this dear recipe from Kevinpa. Kevin we miss your genius,
and kindness, and generosity of spirit. He was patience personified.
You are passing it all onto the next generation of low carb yeast bread
seekers.

My association with LC Friends, Netrition, all the wonderful gals who moderate
our board, also, all the LC Friends that I have made, has been long and wonderfully productive.

Now that I'm not terrified to dive off the board of yeast driven
'weirdo' flours (wpi 5000 and 8000 plus the starches etc.) I can plunge
into the depths of yeast baking. You all have been so helpful.
Barbo, I can't tell you happy I am that's you found cselzler's bread to be da BOMB, and doubly pleased that you like the dripping wet sponge trick! I'm a big fan of not having yet another piece of equipment to store. Using your microwave just makes sense. It's normally unoccupied, unused space. So why not make a proofing box out of it on an as-needed basis? If you find that you need to nuke something while you're proofing your dough, which happens now and again, no worries. Simply remove your dough (shaped bread or rolls) gently and complete your microwave task.

Then, put your sponge back in for a minute, as there will be some residual heat and moisture from what you just nuked, and resume your proofing. Couldn't be easier! And it does make for such a lovely crust. To give it that beautiful bakery sheen, apply an egg wash very gently, so as not to deflate, just before you bake.