Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Smoothie, Or Blender Soup Thread

Okay, some people have an interest in seeing what other people put in their smoothies or blender soups. I use a Nutribullet Rx, but a Ninja, Blentec, Vitamix, or any other blender will generally do. The soups come out of the Rx hot, but not boiling, so technically, they're still raw. I used to have a Magic Bullet and spin the soup in the blender and then heat it up on the stove. Same thing.

So, I'm starting it out;

Tonight's blend was raw ginger and garlic, about a half cup of grape tomatoes, a half cup of green cabbage, three medium carrots, three tiny oranges, and two small stalks of celery, in a liquid of homemade bone broth with a small raw shallot. Pretty normal stuff. I added olive oil, and turmeric and black pepper, too. I couldn't help myself so I added a little liquid hickory smoke. It will make three servings.

The color is bright orange, and it tastes like tomatoes with a little heat. I think I went a little overboard on the black pepper.

Last edited by terez; 03-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: added ingredients
terez is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
Avocado
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/225/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Sounds yummy. I've never made a blender soup, but I think I am going to have to try.

226 225 224 . 223 222 221:220 219 218 . 217 216 215 214 213. 212 211 210 ... by 20 July

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
I love soups. Great Thread!

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Sounds yummy. I've never made a blender soup, but I think I am going to have to try.
They're great when you don't feel like cooking. Just toss the ingredients in the pitcher and let it spin.

Every manufacturer always warns against putting hot ingredients in a blender, which is why those immersion blenders work really well. I should have included that in my first post.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I have a Vitamix and the recipe book has a lot of soup recipes. Since I don't want to heat anything in a plastic container, I would just blend the few ingredients called for and then heat the mixture in a saucepan. I don't see how that would be a bad thing to do.
susan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
This is a soup I've made many times in the Vitamix. I even just throw the cheese into it now with everything else, and blend it up, then heat on the stove or in a 2 quart Pyrex bowl in the microwave. My Dad always added a can of pinto beans also to thicken it up more and give it more nutritional punch.

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...e#post17256641

That whole thread has lots of good recipes for soups and smoothies and various things in it.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
This is a soup I've made many times in the Vitamix. I even just throw the cheese into it now with everything else, and blend it up, then heat on the stove or in a 2 quart Pyrex bowl in the microwave. My Dad always added a can of pinto beans also to thicken it up more and give it more nutritional punch.

http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showth...e#post17256641

That whole thread has lots of good recipes for soups and smoothies and various things in it.
It sounds really rich. Perfect for those lazy days.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Debbieleigh
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbieleigh
Love my vita-mix

Yesterday i made soup for the next couple of days

Peppers/maters/carrot/celery/roasted garlic....and lots of it
ginger root/parsley

yum and its super bright from all the different colored peppers
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Avocado
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/225/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
They're great when you don't feel like cooking. Just toss the ingredients in the pitcher and let it spin.

Every manufacturer always warns against putting hot ingredients in a blender, which is why those immersion blenders work really well. I should have included that in my first post.
So do you blend cold and then heat the resulting liquid up? I only have a traditional blender.

226 225 224 . 223 222 221:220 219 218 . 217 216 215 214 213. 212 211 210 ... by 20 July

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
So do you blend cold and then heat the resulting liquid up? I only have a traditional blender.
Yeah. Exactly. When you have hot liquid moving around, there's additional pressure inside the pitcher, especially when it's closed and there's no way for the air to escape. Plus, if you get sprayed by hot liquid when that happens, you can get majorly burned.

But yeah, a regular blender should do. But it you want to transfer the soup to the blender after it's cooked, throw some ice cubes in it to lower the heat and make sure it's not hot when it goes into the blender.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Debbieleigh
Senior LCF Member

I have been adding overnight oatmeal to my avocado/banana smoothie in the morning

its so filling and yummy

def not low carb but i find it perfect for after workouts
Old 03-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's soup is pretty much the same, except I substituted English cucumber for the cabbage, put less fresh garlic and ginger in it, no cashews, olive oil, two medium carrots, about 3/4 cup of tomatoes, 3 small stalks of celery, three small oranges, a shallot, and turmeric, black pepper and homemade bone broth.

I had made something similar before and it was outstanding. I'm looking to copy the carrot/orange/ginger soup recipes but, because carrot and orange is so carby, substitute mild vegetables like the English cucumber and celery for some of the carrot and orange.

It was bright orange/yellow, and frothy. And no, it missed the mark. Too much ginger. But still delicious with a splash of cream.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Debbieleigh
Senior LCF Member

I find a little ginger goes along way
Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Good fats, Plant base,calarie counting>1200
Start Date: April1 2013
I have been doing Green smoothies for 4 years.
I have cut down through,I want to get back in.
They are healthy and good. Just have to watch calaries.
I like to also start making soups with all the fresh veggies.
But the only thing is. I dont know the calaries in them.Vers. can.light soups.
I have a Vitamix also And Love it.
I started out with a Nurtria Bullet and after a year of doing Smoothies got the Vitamix.
I have so many green smoothies book and recipes.
there is a very good book{I got at Walmart and so glad I got this one. The best one.> It is called Zero Belly smoothies by David Zincezenko.
Here are a few
Peachy Keen
1 cup Frozen peaches
1 whole or half Frozen banana.
1C. Unsweetened Almond or your choice25 cals.
1 scoope or less protein power.
If u want u can add 1T chia seedat 60 cals.

Cherries and cream
1 frozen banana
5 fresh or Frozen{I like frozen .
1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond milk.
1scoop vanillia protein powder.

There are more if you like.
Hope to see posting on soups and cals.
and keep this site growing.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #15
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I make tomato bisque soup with either fresh tomatoes, when they are in season, or diced canned out of season. I put a pound of tomatoes (or a 15 oz can of diced), teaspoon of dried basil or equivalent fresh basil in season, a little liquid splenda, and a teaspoon of chicken bullion in place of salt in my food processor (don't own a blender!) I add a cup of chicken broth, and spin until almost smooth...I like a few bits of tomato still visible. Put it in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add 1/2 cup heavy cream. The amount of splenda depends on how naturally sweet the tomatoes are, and how sweet you like your tomato soup. I drop a teaspoon of butter on top of each bowl when I serve it.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
I make tomato bisque soup with either fresh tomatoes, when they are in season, or diced canned out of season. I put a pound of tomatoes (or a 15 oz can of diced), teaspoon of dried basil or equivalent fresh basil in season, a little liquid splenda, and a teaspoon of chicken bullion in place of salt in my food processor (don't own a blender!) I add a cup of chicken broth, and spin until almost smooth...I like a few bits of tomato still visible. Put it in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add 1/2 cup heavy cream. The amount of splenda depends on how naturally sweet the tomatoes are, and how sweet you like your tomato soup. I drop a teaspoon of butter on top of each bowl when I serve it.
That sounds wonderful. Very close to what I used to do with a traditional blender.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #17
replay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
WOE: Keto/LCHF/IF/insulin resistance reversal
Quote:
I make tomato bisque soup with either fresh tomatoes, when they are in season, or diced canned out of season.
Great idea! I have two tomatoes that need to be transformed into something I can freeze, lol. I didn't think to just make a few servings of soup

I recently made a random asparagus blender soup using an immersion/stick blender. Totally random mix of asparagus, a can of coconut milk, beef stock, hodge podge of seasoning....just kept tasting until it was guuud

I lost the stopper that goes into the top of a blender once! The soup was hot, the top expanded, I was adding seasoning or something.....while the blades were on.....and the stopper fell right into the soup. All I could do was laugh.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight I did a fruit blast, mostly. I had mesclun mix (different baby greens), strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and thee tiny oranges, with fresh ginger, Ceylon cinnamon, olive oil and vanilla flavored almond milk (unsweetened). Oh, and a huge blob of sugar free chocolate syrup. Color is bright purple. Tastes like chocolate and strawberry with a hint of heat. When I get to a regular supermarket, I'm getting some food grade peppermint oil or extract. I want to make a "thin mint" fruit smoothie.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Debbieleigh
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay View Post

I recently made a random asparagus blender soup using an immersion/stick blender. Totally random mix of asparagus, a can of coconut milk, beef stock, hodge podge of seasoning....just kept tasting until it was guuud

making this for sure..and the mater one
I love making the bright colored soups..im sipping on a carrot/garlic/ginger right now
Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight's rendition of soup was me trying to imitate split pea soup, low carb style. Well, I can never just put in one or two vegetables in, I always try more. So, into the pitcher went about a cup of green beans, half cup of leeks, two stalks celery, half cup grape tomatoes, two medium carrots, 4 inch piece of English cucumber with turmeric, lots of black pepper, one garlic clove and a few drops of hickory liquid smoke.

With the leeks, green beans, liquid smoke and black pepper, with a splash of cream, it actually does taste something like split pea soup. But the color is a pale yellow.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #21
Jakelilydad
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
With the leeks, green beans, liquid smoke and black pepper, with a splash of cream, it actually does taste something like split pea soup. But the color is a pale yellow.
So call it Canadian Pea Soup. They make theirs from dried yellow peas.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
So call it Canadian Pea Soup. They make theirs from dried yellow peas.
There's an idea! It was a dark gold color until I added the splash of cream and then it was a pale wheat yellow color.

Today, I tried my first "custard" in the Rx. No dice! It was (delicious) scrambled eggs with a little bit of vanilla and stevia. I guess I'll just have to make it on the stove, or try next time with less egg. Or let the eggs and milk come up to room temperature. Or something. Not to mention it was a bear to clean up.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #23
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I made soup in the Rx after scrubbing-and scrubbing-and scrubbing the egg out of it. Today's concoction is more grape tomatoes; maybe a cup and a half, two small carrots, shallot, fresh garlic and ginger, turmeric, black pepper, celery, one small orange, 4" chunk of English cucumber. I added homemade chicken both, but it was still frozen. So, put it in the microwave for two minutes and two more. During that time, I was left to my own devices, so I added cashews, olive oil and Italian seasonings with some liquid smoke. Color is bright orange, tastes like hickory smoked tomatoes with a little heat. This is delicious. It's a keeper.

When I'm done with the carrots, I'm going to switch out to spaghetti squash since I have my Instant Pot now. I can just throw it in with some water and pressure cook it for about 15 minutes (I think) and I will have all the squash I can eat for the next few month.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #24
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Quote:
That sounds great! You could add a little ginger and turmeric to that as well, I'd think.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Well, tonight's mess was brought to you by the Rx. I finally ran out of tomatoes, so none here, for a change. I used the last of the carrots-they were sprouting-and celery, water chestnuts, cucumber, three tiny oranges, cashews, cinnamon, black pepper, turmeric, fresh garlic, shallot and ginger in homemade bone broth. It tastes very sweet and carrot-y. But not that great. It had a funky texture, or something. I think it's the water chestnuts. It needed much more onion, I think. And, after a mere year and a half of using this machine, I stumbled onto the fact that adding cashews to the mix will keep it from getting frothy and separating. Good to know!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #26
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Well, today's slushie was brought to you by the Rx. I loaded up the pitcher with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, three small oranges, mesclun mix, a blob of ginger, Ceylon cinnamon, stevia, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, olive oil, a little peppermint extract and a big plop of sugar free chocolate syrup. Color is dark purple, tastes of strawberries, chocolate and peppermint with a hint of heat. Very good, this one.

#myfreezerisstuffed #whydidIbuysomuch #mustuseupsoon
Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #27
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I made a brown butter mushroom soup/sauce

Threw about 3/4 stick of butter in skillet and got it brown,
then added 1 lb. sliced mushrooms and got them brown on
each side. Threw them into Vitamix with about 1 c. or more of
chicken broth, blended them well, added salt, pepper and cream
to taste. Thick and delicious. We drank some outta cups and we
saved some for cooking tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #28
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Threw about 3/4 stick of butter in skillet and got it brown,
then added 1 lb. sliced mushrooms and got them brown on
each side. Threw them into Vitamix with about 1 c. or more of
chicken broth, blended them well, added salt, pepper and cream
to taste. Thick and delicious. We drank some outta cups and we
saved some for cooking tomorrow.
Sounds wonderful! I've heard of people browning their butter for cooking, but I'm too chicken to try it.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #29
terez
Major LCF Poster!

This afternoon's mess consists of 3 tiny oranges, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mesclun mix, raw ginger, Ceylon cinnamon, unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, chocolate syrup and a little too much peppermint.

The berries and mesclun mix were frozen, so the concoction is very cold. My goal was to make a sort of a "thin mint" taste, but since the peppermint is stronger, it tastes a lot like a York Peppermint Patty. Not enough to taste like toothpaste, though.

Tonight I will be making my first cream of onion soup with chives, leeks, shallots, sweet onion, pearled onions and raw garlic in homemade chicken bone broth. I will be a onion breathing dragon for hours, I'm sure......and I-AGAIN-forgot nutmeg....GAAH!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #30
terez
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I made my "onion" soup. I put in way too many pearl onions, which aren't as sweet, same for the leeks. The soup is very harsh. I put kefir in it, and cashews and smoked almonds. It's an electric green. Pretty, but too harsh. I guess next time I make this, I'll caramelize all the onions to make it less harsh.