Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #121
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Okay..Did you lay them back into the pans with the chocolate side down?

I like this because it is portion control...
Yes, but as soon as the chocolate sets (seconds),the chocolate is on all sides. I put them in a large zip lock.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #122
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Can't wait. Need some sticks!

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #123
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
WOE: Low carb cake plan!
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
Carolyn, it was real easy, you line your muffin top pan with plastic wrap, then scoop ice-cream into the wells, add stick, freeze for several hours. I left mine over night to get real hard. Then do as I said, melt the sf trader joes bar with coconut oil. Take out one bar at a time and spoon the chocolate over it until covered and back the freezer to set.

I have a table next to my deep freezer, so I left the freezer opened and just did the bars one at a time right there next to the freezer.

I just checked, page 1 post #18 has a picture of the bars. my shell looks like that, but I make my life easy by using the Trader joes chocolate bar, no need to sweeten and do a mix. It does have maltitol, but not much on each bar, so it doesn't bother my tummy.

Deb....
Deb thanks so much for your ice cream report! I've been wanting to try these ice cream bars and have wondered about the recipe's stickiness/gumminess that people discuss throughout the thread and about the popsicle technique as well. Thanks for answering all my questions unknowingly!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #124
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeter38
Low Carb Ice Cream

Hi yáll, first time posting... I was going to make this ice cream but when I went back to look at the recipe ingredients I saw I didn't get the right sugar sub.

I got something called Truvia which is granulated Stevia and it looks just like sugar. Can I use that instead of the granulated erythritol?
skeeter38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #125
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

Oh one more thing:

3/4 cup sugar equivalent
- 3/8 cup (6 tbsp) granular erythritol, powdered (0 carbs)
- 1/8 tsp stevia (0 carbs)
- 2 tbsp polyd (Not sure if it's completely nessesary) (3 carbs)

is 2T equal to a quarter cup? (yeah, I don't cook AT ALL) if it doesn't, then the ingrediants don't add up to 3/4 cup on the sugar equivalent..
Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #126
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TX Tiger
Stats: 295/209/215 - 5'11.5"
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Feb 2015
2T is 1/8 of a cup but I suspect 3/4 cup is the equivalent amount of sweetness rather than a real measurement.
TX Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #127
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter38 View Post
Hi yáll, first time posting... I was going to make this ice cream but when I went back to look at the recipe ingredients I saw I didn't get the right sugar sub.

I got something called Truvia which is granulated Stevia and it looks just like sugar. Can I use that instead of the granulated erythritol?

Hi Skeeter! Welcome to Low Carb Friends - it's great to get some fresh blood around here

Truvia should be just fine. The most common type of Truvia is actually Erythritol with some stevia, so I wonder if this is what you got or if you got a special kind that is just stevia. The Erythritol blend would be better for ice cream as I believe that Erythritol helps with the scoopabilibity issue. If it is stevia, your ice cream may just be a little harder. However, if you are adding the glycerine and/or guar gum, there should be no prob with scoopabilibity even if you use stevia.

Happy churning!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #128
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much bonbon. I read the entire thread (this one) and made some substitutions based on some other folks posts and I will post to let you know if my substitutions screwed up my ice cream or it was edible. I am making it tonight.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #129
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Gluey, chewy texture

I was doing some more reading on ice cream today and came across some useful info. Apparently, you should add your gum, guar or xanthan, at the very end of mixing. Sprinkle it in and just mix it in the minimum necessary to incorporate. Then let the base chill or move on to churning, whatever stage is next.

Over-mixing the base after adding the gum results in an ice cream that is very gluey and chewy in texture.

If you have both gums, using a half and half is recommended by some as apparently they do slightly different jobs: Xanthan gum is actually better for preventing ice crystals. Guar gum acts more as a thickener and stabilizer. I'd suggest actually using a combo of the two, as the combo will result in a higher viscosity.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #130
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Bonbon41, are you going to be testing this out? I've been wanting to make some ice cream and am not sure which recipe is best for a beginner. I don't have any guar gum only xanthan. I'd like to see how this works out before I purchase any, or if I need it.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #131
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

I have a few on my "to try" list so it's a question of when I'll get there. If you want to go ahead, I don't really think it'll make a huge difference if you just use xanthan. Many ice cream recipes just use one or the other. It would still turn out well! I wouldn't go out and purchase anything - but if someone had both gums in the house, my thought was - why not try half and half. If you look upthread, you can see that Taterhead made this recently with some small changes and with really good results.

The thing that I do believe will make a big difference is if you put the xanthan in and then do a lot of mixing afterward. That will likely give the funny texture that people complain about throughout the 3 pages of this thread! Following the recipe as written may cause this to happen. If you do try this recipe, I'd recommend adding the gum at the very end, after the vanilla and the glycerin, just mixing it enough to incorporate.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #132
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Thanks Bonbon41, I'll go a head and give it a go.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #133
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Well I went for it yesterday after all. It's been chilling in the freezer overnight and I'll get churning later today. I did make a few changes: 1/4 tsp each of guar and xanthan, added at the end, only 1 tsp stevia glycerite (too much bugs my tummy), and 1/4 c vitafiber instead of the polyD. I also decided to very slowly drizzle the steaming hot cream into the eggs to cook them. I did a very thin stream and it worked very well - no scrambled egg ice cream thankfully.

Will let you know how it turns out. Love to hear how yours ends up as well parrotchic.

Ps: also added a pinch of sea salt - thought it really helped the flavor along

Last edited by Bonbon41; 07-10-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #134
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

DH declared this a triumph, not just for homemade low carb ice cream but for high carb ice cream too. He is a high carber on the weekends and wanted this over any of his store bought options in the fridge. It tasted better! I have made many a home made low carb ice cream and this was far above the rest. You really couldn't tell it wasn't high carb, high quality and from the store in terms of both taste and texture. Honestly I was a bit surprised. It did freeze a bit harder than I'd like overnight so I need to play with upping the glycerine. I only put one tsp of stevia glycerite in due to my tummy issues.

Happy customers over here. I've been waiting for ages for a good base recipe to make other flavors from. And this one is so easy because you don't have to make a classic custard. It did taste very rich and custardy though!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #135
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Bonbon did you use polyD?
I guess I'd like to know what your end recipe was if you have the time.
Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #136
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Judy, I used vitafiber instead of polyD. I typed up what I did so I wouldn't forget - happy to share. This is the best ice cream I've ever made and better than any store bought for sure - I've so grateful for this thread. After two days in the fridge, it was still as delicious and more scoopable than any of DH's store bought high carb ice creams in the freezer. Jackpot!

LCF My Rich Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
(I used ½ almond milk, ½ cup half and half)

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar equivalent (3/4 Just Like Sugar powdered & ¼ powdered werve)
¼ cup Vitafiber
1 tsp stevia glycerite

1/4 tsp guar and ¼ tsp xanthan

2 tsp vanilla extract, one vanilla pod

Pinch fine sea salt (between ¼ - ½ tsp approx.)

1. Place the cream and milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the vanilla pod, if using. While whisking constantly, gradually sprinkle in sweeteners. Make sure sweeteners are dissolved completely and scrape out vanilla pod. My mixture almost boiled over, so keep an eye on it. Add in the vanilla, glycerine and salt. Take off the heat.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and Vitafiber until thick and light yellow.

3. Continue to whisk the eggs. Then, in a very slow and in a very, very thin stream, start to drizzle the hot custard to the eggs. Don’t rush this or you’ll end up with scrambled egg ice cream.

4. Finally, time to add the gums. Sprinkle them lightly over the mixture so that they don’t land in a clump and whisk them gently in for no more than 10 seconds, just to incorporate. At this point, feel the bowl the custard is in. Is it hot? If yes, your eggs may cook if left inside, so change the bowl. Pour the custard into a new bowl. Chill it in the fridge for at least several hours or preferably overnight.

5. When you are ready to churn, take everything immediately straight from the fridge and freezer and begin the churning process immediately– don’t leave either the frozen churning bowl or the custard bowl on the counter for a minute longer than you need to. Churn only until you get a soft serve consistency and then transfer to the freezer.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:09 AM   #137
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you so much!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #138
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

One more question - I'm looking on netrition and there are two types of vitafiber. One is a syrup and one is powder.
I assume to get the syrup? Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #139
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Yes it's the syrup and that's the most useful one I find. You can make quest bars with just protein powder and Soobee has posted some amazing cookie recipes on the vitafiber thread. There are other great recipes there as well if you want to try other things. Hope you love this ice cream as much as I do!

Last edited by Bonbon41; 07-12-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #140
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

BonBon - where do i get xanthin and guar and vita fiber? I have the other ingredients now so I don't want to order online
Also - heavy cream = heavy whipping cream?

stevia glycerite? What is this?

when you say - 1 cup sugar equivalent - do you mean a cup of whatever or do you mean the sweetness factor?

Here are the sugar subs I have on hand:

SweetLeaf, Z sweet (both in little packets)
Truvia baking blend - it looks like sugar - ingredients are: Erythritol, sugar, and stevia leaf extract. I have a big bag of this too.
Erythritol Crystals ( Sensato) have a big bag of it.

I ordered the Sensato from Netrition specifically to use on this recipe, but I noticed that on the label, it carries 4 carbs per 1 tsp.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #141
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter38 View Post
BonBon - where do i get xanthin and guar and vita fiber? I have the other ingredients now so I don't want to order online
Also - heavy cream = heavy whipping cream?

stevia glycerite? What is this?

when you say - 1 cup sugar equivalent - do you mean a cup of whatever or do you mean the sweetness factor?

Here are the sugar subs I have on hand:

SweetLeaf, Z sweet (both in little packets)
Truvia baking blend - it looks like sugar - ingredients are: Erythritol, sugar, and stevia leaf extract. I have a big bag of this too.
Erythritol Crystals ( Sensato) have a big bag of it.

I ordered the Sensato from Netrition specifically to use on this recipe, but I noticed that on the label, it carries 4 carbs per 1 tsp.
The only place I know you can get Vitafiber is either on Netrition or Amazon. The Xanthan and Guar I've seen in lowcarb shops and some really well stocked supermarkets but they can be hard to find. Again Netrition or Amazon will have them. They are pricey, so you could start with one and see what results you will get first. One of my ice cream books strongly recommends guar over xanthan, so if you only get one, I'd start with that. You could also wait on the Vitafiber as you might get pretty good results without that one too. The original recipe had polyD as optional and I only used it to replace the polyD. I don't want you to go broke to make this ice cream. But what I ate was so good, if there were an ice cream worth going broke for...

Stevia glycerite is glycerine with some stevia mixed in. You can keep it simple and get some food grade glycerine from Walmart. Same stuff. Just don't forget the food grade part! I have a sensitive palette and find this tastes bitter, the stevia glycerite tastes much better to me. Most people probably wouldn't notice though. Also, I'd add another teaspoon of this into the recipe. The original put in four, but I put in one because it makes my tummy rumble. An extra one would give a little more scoopabilibity. That said, the high carb stuff store bought was harder to scoop than my version with 1 tsp of glycerine.

Yes on the heavy cream.

I meant one cup equivalent (one cup's worth sweetening power) of your preferred sweetener. Erythritol is good because it helps with scoopability but I wouldn't use it 100% or you might get cooling effect, you'd need to blend it with stevia or another sweetener. Best case is blend it with 2 other sweeteners. I'm not sure what Zsweet is. If you are avoiding carbs, maybe you don't want the Truvia because of the sugar content? And what the heck is in that Sensato? Could you be including sugar alcohol in that count? If it is purely Erythritol, don't worry, I think you are counting the carbs from the sugar alcohol which you should not count.

If I forgot any questions, let me know
Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #142
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

BonBon - thank you so much for your detailed and considered response. Please explain what the heck the cooling effect is.. I ran across that in my trying to learn about LC alternatives to sugar and I just did'nt get what it meant.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #143
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Some people notice a funny taste with Erythritol- most often a cool mintiness in the mouth but some get a slight heat or sore throat sensation. Lots of folks (like me) prefer to buy more expensive blends like Swerve because they notice it less. Other things that lessen the cooling sensation are mixing with other sweeteners, using powdered form, heating it up - usually through baking, using emulsifiers and fats alongside the baking process. There may be other things too but that's all I can recall at the moment. So using 100% Erythritol in this recipe, where there is relatively little heating may result in quite a lot of cooling effect if you are sensitive to it.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #144
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

Thank you you explained it much better than Wikipedia. I made a rendition of this ice cream that I will post about once it' set in the freezer for a couple of days..

To be Continued
Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #145
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Look forward to hearing how it goes
Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #146
skeeter38
Junior LCF Member

Ok. At the risk of losing all of your respect folks... I absolutely slaughtered the recipe, but I am posting it for the one or two people out of a thousand who might be like me: I do not cook. AT ALL. I am following LC diet and everything I eat I buy pre-cooked and microwave it. (bacon, eggbeaters, cheese, Sadlers brisket, fajita meat, etc.) The only cooking I do is hamburgers and chicken which I throw on the George Forman grill.

Since I don't cook anything, I also don't have a lot of products on hand and especially not the products yall always mention. I LOVE ice cream and go through a lot of that carbsmart and since I have an ice cream maker, I thought I would look into a recipe for making it low carb. That is how I got here.

I read the entire thread and every time I got to a post where the poster had made a substitution that sounded easier or omitted an ingredient I incorporated it into my recipe. So, this is a quick and dirty way to make LC vanilla ice cream that works, just not well. I consider it to be very edible, it is just really rich and even though it set much harder than regular ice cream, I didn't have to work at it to scoop it. The only thing I had to buy was the erythritol crystals (Sensato) from Netrition. You were right BonBon, I was counting the sugar alcohols in the erythritol..

(Oh, by the way, I am indebted to y'all for Netrition, I order that Sensato granola, the moon cheese, and bottles of the Guys bbq sauce!)

My recipe:
3 cups heavy whipping cream (19 carbs)
1 cup half/half (10 carbs)
3 large eggs equivalent: 3/4 cup Eggbeaters, (12 carbs)
3/4 cup sugar equivalent: 3/4 cup erythritol crystals (36 carbs)
2 tsp vanilla (0 carbs)

If you don't count the erythritol it has 41 carbs in the whole recipe.

I put everything together and threw it in the microwave to dissolve the erythritol. Then I mixed it in a blender on low and then I poured the whole kit and caboodle into the ice cream maker (Cuisinart). It took about a half hour and it really became voluminous.. It was all the way up over the beater and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. It tasted incredible. It was a bit hard to scoop after a couple of days. Big problemo - I got the runs so bad I had to stay near the bathroom all day. I made it again and substituted the Truvia mix I had on hand and it didn't mess with my stomach at all and it was much more scoopable.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #147
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Does the Truvia mix contain actual sugar?

Did you eat a LOT of the ice cream?

While you have been eating low carb, is your fat intake not normally this high?

I know some people cannot handle erythritol, but I thought Truvia had erythritol in it.
Some people cannot handle a LOT of fat when they're not used to it.
That's the reason I'm asking some of these question.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #148
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Well sounds like you are one of the few who can't stomach plain Erythritol! Oh the woes of sugar alcohol experimentation...

But well done on not giving up and coming up with a decent ice cream recipe that didn't break the bank, tasted good and was fairly scoopable. This is not an easy feat, especially without any specialty ingredients!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #149
Bonbon41
Senior LCF Member

Judy your post snuck in while I was typing mine. You make some good points. Maybe it wasn't the Erythritol. Could be the fats for sure. High fat did that to me in the beginning too.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #150
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Me too.

And I figured we were typing at the same time!