Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Aunt Ruth's Pecan Cake

I was poking around in some old threads looking for a cake to make and came across this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...27s+Pecan+cake

I made it yesterday and OMG is it ever good!!!!!

I made a few changes because I didn't have all the ingredients but it's so good this way I'm not sure I'd want it the "right" way. This is by far the best low carb desert I've had.

Thanks so much to the original poster!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Please share with us what "changes" you made..I need to try this again..THx.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
mac24312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Yes please do..

HUGS!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I loved that cake but the polydextrose in it didn't love ME so I, too, would love to know what tweaks you made!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

This is the original recipe that I was following...My changes are below.

I cooked it in a large cast iron skillet and cut a wax paper round to go in the bottom like the directions say, I also used the water pan. It puffed up to the top of the pan and after baking about 1 hour and 20 minutes the middle fell just like the instructions say it would so I took it out.

I couldn't resist cutting a piece when it was still warm and it had a crisp crust and a moist interior. Since it has cooled the crust isn't as crisp as it was in the beginning but it's still so good I can't hardly believe it's low carb and I can eat it.

It so much reminds me of a cake version of a pecan pie. I LOVE this cake and it's going to be a staple around my house from now on.

Sorry Charski...the Polydextrose and the almond flour are the only unusual ingredients that the cake called for that I actually had. I keep Vital Wheat Gluten on hand because I make homemade bread for my family out of whole wheat and if you want any kind of rise with whole wheat you've got to add extra gluten.

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

In bowl mix dry ingredients together :
2 cups of almond flour
1-1/2 cups of Carbquik + 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose
1-1/2 cups Splenda
1/4 cup Erythritol
1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus

Then mix wet ingredients together:
2 sticks of melted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large

Then mix wet ingredients with dry stirring with a wooden spoon until well combined. Then add pecans and stir well.
3 cups of pecans

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the bottom of a very large cast iron skillet. Spray the skillet with Pam, place the wax paper on top of the Pam and spray again.

The size skillet I use is 10 inches across the bottom of the pan, 11 inches across the top and the sides are 3 inches deep. There is a number 2 on the underside of the handle. I think that's supposed to be the size.

(Place a shallow pan of water on the lower rack of the oven).

Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 10 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). The cake should rise up to the top of the pan and then it should fall in the middle. That's when you will know it is done.

Take the cake from the oven and run a knife around the sides to loosen it and place a plate over the pan then turn the cake out onto the plate.

Comes out crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 cups of almond flour
1 cup of Vital Wheat Gluten
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose
1-1/2 cups Splenda

1/4 cup imitation honey from WalMart
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large
2 cups pecan pieces ground into a smooth butter in food processor

Then mix wet ingredients with dry stirring with a wooden spoon until well combined. Then add pecans and stir well.
1 cup of pecans

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the bottom of a very large cast iron skillet. Spray the skillet with Pam, place the wax paper on top of the Pam and spray again.

The size skillet I use is 10 inches across the bottom of the pan, 11 inches across the top and the sides are 3 inches deep. There is a number 2 on the underside of the handle. I think that's supposed to be the size.

Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 10 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). The cake should rise up to the top of the pan and then it should fall in the middle. That's when you will know it is done.

Take the cake from the oven and run a knife around the sides to loosen it and place a plate over the pan then turn the cake out onto the plate.

Comes out crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.

Edited to Add pictures:

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 12-16-2008 at 10:46 AM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
I don't have a cast iron skillet but I have a cast iron dutch oven - do you think that would work or should I use something else? This looks really good and would like to try it.

Question also, it is 3 cups of pecans in the first instructions and 1 cup in the second? Just want to double check depending on which recipe I use.

Thanks

Last edited by skg; 12-16-2008 at 01:40 PM..
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
togee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: togee
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: May 10th, 2008
[quote=The Chicken Lady;11269858]This is the original recipe that I was following...My changes are below.

I cooked it in a large cast iron skillet and cut a wax paper round to go in the bottom like the directions say, I also used the water pan. It puffed up to the top of the pan and after baking about 1 hour and 20 minutes the middle fell just like the instructions say it would so I took it out.

I couldn't resist cutting a piece when it was still warm and it had a crisp crust and a moist interior. Since it has cooled the crust isn't as crisp as it was in the beginning but it's still so good I can't hardly believe it's low carb and I can eat it.

It so much reminds me of a cake version of a pecan pie. I LOVE this cake and it's going to be a staple around my house from now on.

Sorry Charski...the Polydextrose and the almond flour are the only unusual ingredients that the cake called for that I actually had. I keep Vital Wheat Gluten on hand because I make homemade bread for my family out of whole wheat and if you want any kind of rise with whole wheat you've got to add extra gluten.

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 cups of almond flour
1-1/2 cups of Carbquik + 1 tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose
1-1/2 cups Splenda
1/4 cup Erythritol
1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus

1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large

3 cups of pecans

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 cups of almond flour
1 cup of Vital Wheat Gluten
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose
1-1/2 cups Splenda

1/4 cup imitation honey from WalMart
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large
2 cups pecan pieces ground into a smooth butter in food processor

1 cup of pecans

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

-------------------------------------------------------

The original recipe posted was:

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 sticks butter (melted IN the iron skillet and swirled around )

In bowl mix:

1 1/2 Cups Carbquik + 1 tablesppon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups Splenda
3-4 cups pecans (broken up into pieces)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 lg. eggs

Add butter to dry ingredients. Mix & pour into cast iron skillet. (LARGE ONE) This a VERY THICK DOUGH. Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 15 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). Don't forget to place a shallow pan of water on the lower rack). Cool and slice into pie shaped wedges. I run a dinner knife around the edges real good to help release it. ALSO: I sometimes spray PAM in my skillet before swirling the butter.

This is the heaviest cake I have ever made and boy is it good. I just make sure I do not OVERCOOK it. Comes out like I said in the earlier post...crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and if you don't overcook it....chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.

edited to add: I turn the cake out onto a plate like a "pone" of cornbread.TIP: place a shallow pan of water underneath the skillet when cooking AND use CAST IRON!!!

---------------
Since I dont have any sweeteners but Splenda, I'll have to go with this recipe. Your pictures look super good.Thanks, was hoping to see pics. In a Bundt pan too.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
I don't have a cast iron skillet but I have a cast iron dutch oven - do you think that would work or should I use something else? This looks really good and would like to try it.

Question also, it is 3 cups of pecans in the first instructions and 1 cup in the second? Just want to double check depending on which recipe I use.

Thanks
I think the dutch oven would work...the recipe I used was the second recipe...I still used 3 cups of chopped pecans but I put 2 of them in the food processor and made smooth pecan butter out of them and mixed it in with the wet ingredients.

I did that because my daughter makes this dessert that is out of this world...she takes a pound of pecans and puts them in the food processor and grinds them into a smooth butter them mixes a bunch of honey, eggs and whole wheat and bakes it. It is soooooo good and I thought I might get some of that flavor here if I used some of the pecans to make the pecan butter with...and I was right....it has a very similar flavor to the dessert that she makes with the honey.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by togee View Post

Since I dont have any sweeteners but Splenda, I'll have to go with this recipe. Your pictures look super good.Thanks, was hoping to see pics. In a Bundt pan too.
This was not cooked in a Bundt pan it was cooked in a cast iron skillet.

According to the recipe I used the cake is supposed to fall in the middle that is how you can tell it's done.

Edited to add:

I'm no baking expert but I don't think you will be able to get this cake to work without the Polydextrose unless you use a bunch of honey. WalMart sells an imitation honey and I used a little bit of it in the cake but your not going to get the gooey center with Splenda alone. My daughter makes a dessert very similar to this using pecan butter, honey, eggs and whole wheat pastry flour. It has the same gooey center but she uses a lot of honey in it.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 12-16-2008 at 04:18 PM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
togee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: togee
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: May 10th, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
This was not cooked in a Bundt pan it was cooked in a cast iron skillet.

According to the recipe I used the cake is supposed to fall in the middle that is how you can tell it's done.

Edited to add:

I'm no baking expert but I don't think you will be able to get this cake to work without the Polydextrose unless you use a bunch of honey. WalMart sell an imitation honey and I use a little bit of it in the cake but your not going to get the gooey center with Splenda alone. My daughter makes a dessert very similar to this using pecan butter, honey, eggs and whole wheat pastry flour. It has the same gooey center but she uses a lot of honey in it.

The posts to the 1st recipe on the thread did mention a gooey center with just the splenda, but I'm definitely am not an expert, I may have to break down and buy some poly,etc.
I think it was Scott who posted a sweetening equivalant.

For 1 Cup of sugar
1/3 C. splenda equivalent
2 T. Erythritol
2 t. steviaplus
1 C. + 2 T. polydextrose

But then I'd have to buy even more.LOL
On a second look I see its not a Bundt, but it sure fooled me.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by togee View Post
The posts to the 1st recipe on the thread did mention a gooey center with just the splenda, but I'm definitely am not an expert, I may have to break down and buy some poly,etc.
I think it was Scott who posted a sweetening equivalant.

For 1 Cup of sugar
1/3 C. splenda equivalent
2 T. Erythritol
2 t. steviaplus
1 C. + 2 T. polydextrose

But then I'd have to buy even more.LOL
On a second look I see its not a Bundt, but it sure fooled me.
LOL...It does sorta look like a Bunt cake!!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Kisal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Bundt cake or no Bundt cake, that thing looks delectable! I think I'm gonna have to get some pecans as soon as the roads are less icy.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I made this yesterday with a few tweaks of my own. (of course)

Here is the recipe I used with the tweaks I made in parentheses:

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 cups of almond flour
1-1/2 cups of Carbquik + 1 tablespoon (Kevin’s bake mix)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose (1 cup)
1-1/2 cups Splenda (1 tsp Splenda QP)
1/4 cup Erythritol
2 tablespoons Brown Diabetisweet (My addition)
1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus (2 pks SteviaPlus)

1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large

3 cups of pecans (chopped in food processor)

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

After hearing (reading) Charski's horror story about her cake running over in the oven, it got 'skeered' and put part of mine in a smaller iron skillet. [COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/318014-aunt-ruth-s-pecan-cake-question.html[/COLOR]
So I cut the baking time also. It is really good. But it will probably be a rare treat seeings how many expensive ingredients it uses. (Oh I used 5 medium eggs - the carton says large, but they were more like medium.) The link above has several tweaks of this recipe. (And this was not the original recipe by the way.

[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I made this yesterday with a few tweaks of my own. (of course)

Here is the recipe I used with the tweaks I made in parentheses:

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 cups of almond flour
1-1/2 cups of Carbquik + 1 tablespoon (Kevin’s bake mix)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose (1 cup)
1-1/2 cups Splenda (1 tsp Splenda QP)
1/4 cup Erythritol
2 tablespoons Brown Diabetisweet (My addition)
1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus (2 pks SteviaPlus)

1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large

3 cups of pecans (chopped in food processor)

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

After hearing (reading) Charski's horror story about her cake running over in the oven, it got 'skeered' and put part of mine in a smaller iron skillet. [COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/318014-aunt-ruth-s-pecan-cake-question.html[/COLOR]
So I cut the baking time also. It is really good. But it will probably be a rare treat seeings how many expensive ingredients it uses. (Oh I used 5 medium eggs - the carton says large, but they were more like medium.) The link above has several tweaks of this recipe. (And this was not the original recipe by the way.

[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
What no picture?!!!?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

I was actually gonna post pics, but went to find my camera and it was in the car out in the freezing temps. Too cold to take pics right then. (actually that was today when I posted, and the small cake is 3/4 gone, but still gonna take a pic.) I'll go take some in a few, and come back & post.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
Old 12-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was actually gonna post pics, but went to find my camera and it was in the car out in the freezing temps. Too cold to take pics right then. (actually that was today when I posted, and the small cake is 3/4 gone, but still gonna take a pic.) I'll go take some in a few, and come back & post.
Cool!! No pun intended...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
What no picture?!!!?
Here ya go.
For size reference. If you are familiar with the Corning Ware dinner ware, the small cake is on a Corning Ware lunch/sandwich plate. The large cake is just larger than a CW dinner plate. (It is on a cake pate.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pecan cake sm1 (600 x 450).jpg (82.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg pecan cake sm2 (600 x 450).jpg (83.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg PC190404.JPG (55.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg PC190405.JPG (56.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg pecan cake lg3 (600 x 450).jpg (97.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here ya go.
For size reference. If you are familiar with the Corning Ware dinner ware, the small cake is on a Corning Ware lunch/sandwich plate. The large cake is just larger than a CW dinner plate. (It is on a cake pate.)
Looken good!!! Don't you just love that cake?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
crazywoman-n-wy
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! Yummmmmmyyyyy! Mine doesn't have a gooey center really, so not really like pecan pie like some said, but definitely GOOOOD! I may have overbaked it a little. Had to guess how long, then I went off where I couldn't hear the timer well. And, if it (the little one) is over baked, large one may be even more so, as I turned the oven off and left the big one in a few minutes lonter, and I think it was already done as well. But I'm sure it will be good anyway.

The outside was nice & crunchy when it came out of the oven. It's not really crunchy today, but it is chewy, which is also great.

Someone (on the other thread I think) suggested the batter would be good as cookies. I bet it would. But I'm not a cookie baker. I really think it would be good as cookies tho.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
The Chicken Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks! Yummmmmmyyyyy! Mine doesn't have a gooey center really, so not really like pecan pie like some said, but definitely GOOOOD! I may have overbaked it a little. Had to guess how long, then I went off where I couldn't hear the timer well. And, if it (the little one) is over baked, large one may be even more so, as I turned the oven off and left the big one in a few minutes lonter, and I think it was already done as well. But I'm sure it will be good anyway.

The outside was nice & crunchy when it came out of the oven. It's not really crunchy today, but it is chewy, which is also great.

Someone (on the other thread I think) suggested the batter would be good as cookies. I bet it would. But I'm not a cookie baker. I really think it would be good as cookies tho.
Ohhh...I bet it would make good cookies. I may try that sometime.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #21
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/178/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I am confused about the ingredients in the cake--the link to the original recipe didn't include almond flour but the OP listed 2 cups of almond flour plus the carbquick?? after reading both threads I see where some have a thick batter and some have a thin batter? is that because of the almond flour--just wanting clarification on this before I attempt baking..

thanks in advance

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Jeanne, I'm not sure if Gwen (the Chicken Lady) will see this, she isn't on here very often any more - but I can tell you, I made the original (no almond flour) recipe of this cake and while it's absolutely delicious, it's also deadly - all that polydextrose in it just tore me up, DH too.

So I think maybe Gwen was trying to reduce the PD by using another bulker and since she uses almond flour a lot in her excellent recipes, that's probably the difference. I have not tried it, as it does still have a fair amount of PD in it and I can't take even a tiny amount of that stuff. If you have a good tolerance for it, I'd try the original first and see what you think, then try Gwen's recipe at another time and see which you prefer.

I will say too, that the original recipe bubbled up and out of my 12" cast iron skillet so be sure to use a BIG skillet AND put a rimmed baking sheet under it just in case.

Hope that helps!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/178/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
charski--thanks so much for the reply-I haven't really used polyD but I do have it in the freezer-I do have a number 8 cast iron and I think maybe it would do better in my dutch oven? I might even try that 1/6 recipe first in order to lessen the cost? thanks again for your input and thoughts!

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote