Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Still don't like shirataki noodles? Try this.

Made spaghetti squash last evening (simply roasted in oven) and had about two cups leftover. It was unseasoned. Being in the mood for a pasta salad, this is what I did:

Rinsed well (add a dash of lemon juice or vinegar to water) and drained a package of shirataki noodles. Snipped into shorter lengths.

Added shirataki to spaghetti squash in large bowl. Added about a quarter cup of chopped parsley. Poured over homemade vinaigrette. Tossed well, covered, and chilled. Didn't have any, but chopped tomatoes, radishes, cucumber, etc., would be great veggie additions.

So simple, but very good and you will hardly know the shirataki is there.

I think for those who don't care for shirataki, that if you mix it with vegetable "noodles" - lightly steamed zucchini also comes to mind - you will find yourself enjoying this very helpful and healthy food.

HTH
Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Our local winco just started carrying the shiratike/chick pea noodles. Bought a couple of bags but haven't used them yet. Mostly I use spiralized zucchini for noodles, but I like to run the shiratike/tofu (or chick pea) spaghetti in my food processor for a few short bursts to cut them into rice sized pieces. I then use them as a rice substitute for things like stuffed peppers or fried rice.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wilco , I will look at mine. I love spaghetti squash.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Any solutions to the smell upon opening. It grosses me out so much I've never gotten to taste them. I have a real problem with fishy smells. I've had to leave a grocery store because the "fresh" meat and seafood department smelled like fish and I could smell it nearly through the store.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
cselzler, nothing can be done about the initial smell upon opening the package. I have been known to hold my breath or turn my face away while I quickly dump the noodles into the ready and waiting strainer with the cold water already running. Then I immediately sprinkle on some vinegar or lemon juice - again, one or the other is already out on the counter and opened.

I do know what you mean about fishy smells.
As a last resort, any chance someone else in the household could open, dump, and rinse for you??? What about placing a wet paper napkin with a little lemon juice under your nose? May look silly, but if it works, it works!

These noodles are really a great help. It would be a shame to miss out on them.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
LindaSL
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Our local winco just started carrying the shiratike/chick pea noodles. Bought a couple of bags but haven't used them yet. Mostly I use spiralized zucchini for noodles, but I like to run the shiratike/tofu (or chick pea) spaghetti in my food processor for a few short bursts to cut them into rice sized pieces. I then use them as a rice substitute for things like stuffed peppers or fried rice.
Sharon, Konjac Foods makes various products with gluccomannan, one of which is called orzo pasta. But it is nearly indistinguishable from white rice. And you don't need to chop it up. I buy it by the case. Comes in single serving size packages. Very handy!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Sharon, Konjac Foods makes various products with gluccomannan, one of which is called orzo pasta. But it is nearly indistinguishable from white rice. And you don't need to chop it up. I buy it by the case. Comes in single serving size packages. Very handy!
I bought one of their variety packs a couple of years ago. It was good, but I like the ones with either tofu or chick pea protein better. Less rubbery texture.