Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #181
parrotchic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Thank you PaminKY, I'll give it a try. It's going to be really hot here this weekend. A good reason to make ice cream.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #182
gratefulgranny
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gratefulgranny
Newbie here. I just wanted to thank romo20350 for this wonderful ice cream recipe. My DH and I have been longing for a cup of good ice cream and here it is. We each have a half cup every night after supper, served in small ramekins topped with a spoonful of fresh fruit. Looks and tastes like a dessert that might be served in a fine dining restaurant. One thing about the gums, I use 1/4 tsp each guar and xanthan, mixing them with the erythritol, then adding 1/4 cup water and microwaving till all is dissolved. Then add 1 cup cream and a 5 oz can of evaporated milk and a cup of cashew milk. Heat this in the microwave till hot but not boiling. Pour this slowly into the eggs while they are in the blender turned on low. Add all the other ingredients while blending and lastly add more cashew milk to bring up to about 5 cups. Leave it in the refrig overnight and give it one more 15 second blend just before you pour it into the ice cream maker. I use 1/4 cup DiVinci SF vanilla syrup instead of extract. Gives a smoother taste. So good. Thanks again!
gratefulgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #183
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/119/135 Start:size 22, now:size 2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Thank you, romo20350, for sharing this outstanding recipe. My husband just gave me a brand new, shiny Cuisinart ICE-100 (to replace my Donvier, which doesn't work all that well on sugar free ice creams) and I knew this recipe was going to take it on its maiden voyage! The flavor is perfect in every possible way. Rich, smooth vanilla bliss! I enjoyed a "brown cow" today by scooping some into a tall glass and filling with Coke Zero. It was nirvana. Best treat I've had in months. Summer here will never be the same, with this recipe and an ice cream maker that can make batch after batch, with no down time in between. Again, many thanks!

--Cat
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #184
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quick question for others who have made this. I have now made 3 batches, and love it directly out of the machine. The perfect soft serve. We're addicted! After 24 hours, however, mine is definitely not what I would describe as "scoopable." It's quite hard, and I have made no substitutions of any kind, and have followed directions exactly as written.

It's not anything I consider a problem, however. I just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes at 10% power, and I can scoop it. It's still pretty hard at the inside of the container, but I scoop from the outside, and it's all good.

But does anyone else find that it's not exactly "scoopable" directly from the freezer after a night's rest (or more?) It sounds like most everyone else but me is getting an ice cream that stays soft-frozen indefinitely. My machine is a Cuisinart ICE-100, which has its own compressor. As I noted earlier, the texture is murderously silky smooth and delectable right after churning. Can't imagine that the machine would compromise long term texture integrity. Any ideas?

Oh - made the ice cream bars as directed with the magic shell. Lots of work, but oh-so-impressive!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #185
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Tried a new addition, a throwback from my HC ice cream making days. I added 2 Tb vodka. (You don't taste the vodka.) It keeps it much less hard, i.e. "scoopable." Whereas it's technically "scoopable" with the vodka, it still requires some time out on the counter or in the micro as mentioned above, after it's scooped into the dish, in order to restore the creaminess. When scooped immediately out of the freezer, although I can do it pretty easily now, the "crumbly" texture (for lack of a better word - I'm sure many of you know what I mean) needs some time at a reduced temperature (either natural or "mechanical") to bring it back to its lovely, creamy texture.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #186
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Right, Baricat. It hardens up in the freezer for sure. I think in HC ice cream, the sugar helps keep it soft. But it is a lot better than ice cream made without the glycerine.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #187
Angeloco
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Tried a new addition, a throwback from my HC ice cream making days. I added 2 Tb vodka. (You don't taste the vodka.) It keeps it much less hard, i.e. "scoopable." Whereas it's technically "scoopable" with the vodka, it still requires some time out on the counter or in the micro as mentioned above, after it's scooped into the dish, in order to restore the creaminess. When scooped immediately out of the freezer, although I can do it pretty easily now, the "crumbly" texture (for lack of a better word - I'm sure many of you know what I mean) needs some time at a reduced temperature (either natural or "mechanical") to bring it back to its lovely, creamy texture.
Yes the vodka really helps. I use 2 T of vodka and 2 T glycerin in my ice cream. Totally scoopable even days later.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #188
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Right, Baricat. It hardens up in the freezer for sure. I think in HC ice cream, the sugar helps keep it soft. But it is a lot better than ice cream made without the glycerine.
Carolyn, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced a lack of "scoopability" after a prolonged rest in the deep freeze! I was starting to get paranoid here. The vodka, in addition to the glycerine called for in the recipe (4 tsp) seems to help tremendously. 48 hours later, I can actually use my scoop and get through it without pulling a bicep!! Still, I'm addicted to that just-churned, soft serve texture. I'm such a fan that I have actually been known to melt down a freezer batch I had, and throw it back into my Cuisinart to work that magic all over again.

This recipe is helping me to maintain my weight, since I'm well below goal, and my doctor doesn't want me losing any more. I have some every day, and keep the fridge stocked up with heavy cream. I'm intending to try a few things to turn this recipe into the perfect chocolate version. I'll post the recipe here when and if I'm successful (but eating even the failures is lots of fun. When it fails, I put it in the blender with some almond milk and make a milkshake. Presto! No texture issues. And those are some tasty, tasty failures...)

--Cat

Last edited by Baricat; 04-30-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #189
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloco View Post
Yes the vodka really helps. I use 2 T of vodka and 2 T glycerin in my ice cream. Totally scoopable even days later.
Barbara, glad to know a fellow ice cream maker who has used the vodka trick (and my CCC - Chief Culinary Consultant, aka Mr. Cat - doesn't even mind donating the Grey Goose to the cause!) I find that the better, smoother (read: "big bucks") vodkas are the least discernible to the taste. But the good news is that since I'm only using one ounce per batch, a bottle lasts a long time.

In my next iteration, I'm going to give a small addition of Vitafiber a whirl. I'll start with one tablespoon and see if that helps the texture even further. Stay tuned...

--Cat
Old 05-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #190
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

I posted on my Rich Chocolate IC thread about the Vitafiber, but thought I'd post here, too, since this is where I first wrote about the intention to try it out.

I added it to a batch today, 1 Tb, and the results were excellent! Texture, even when frozen for the whole day, is silky and soft enough to spoon it with no waiting after removal from the freezer. Suffice it to say I intend to make 1 Tb of Vitafiber a regular ingredient of any flavor of ice cream that I make in the future.

Next flavor? I'm kinda feelin' peach. Maybe strawberry. Summer's here in south FL and the local produce is looking gorgeous at the farmer's market. ...Decisions, decisions!

--Cat
Old 05-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #191
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Well, strawberry was my next effort. And wow, is it ever good! But in an 11th hour decision, I decided to do it sans fresh strawberries to keep those carbs down.

I cut back the vanilla to 1 tsp, kept the Vitafiber and vodka, added 3-4 Tb (didn't measure, so sorry for the lack of precision. Just use it to taste) of Monin sugar free strawberry syrup, and 1 tsp Oivenation strawberry extract. I ended up keeping the sweetening the same, but added fewer drops of EZ Sweetz than I would have when making vanilla, since the syrup is sweetened. Also, in order to give that slight acidity that strawberries have, I backed down the heavy cream by 1/4 cup, and replaced it with 1/4 cup of sour cream.

This is all kinds of delicious. It doesn't come out very pink, so if that's your preference you'll have to add some food color (but I try to stay miles away from that, so mine was the palest of pastel pink. So pale that at first glance, it doesn't look all that different from the vanilla.)

So now I've tackled the big 3 ice creams, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, all using this outstanding recipe as a base. Neapolitan - anyone remember that? Do they even make it anymore?

--Cat
Old 05-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #192
PaminKY
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PaminKY
The Vitafiber you added was it the syrup or the powder? I added some Vitafiber syrup to the last batch I made and it made it kind of stretchy but I added more than 1 tbs but can't remember how much.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #193
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Pam, I used the Vitafiber syrup. I have since the last post upped it to 2 Tb with no stretchy effect. But there really wasn't any positive influence from the increase, either. So I believe 1 Tb is about right. With the cost of that stuff, I'm not going to use any more than I need to in order to get the optimum results.