Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
gailca
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gailca
apple cider vinegar

any tried apple cider vinegar
gailca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbieleigh
YES YES In lemon water
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieleigh View Post
YES YES In lemon water
I've read that drinking ACV even with honey can be irritating to the throat. Have you had any issues?
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Debbieleigh
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbieleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I've read that drinking ACV even with honey can be irritating to the throat. Have you had any issues?
I have drank it straight up..no issues
Debbieleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieleigh View Post
I have drank it straight up..no issues
One more question....what does it help you with? I've read it's good for acid reflux and blood sugar control.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/210/150
WOE: Low calorie, intermittent fasting
Start Date: April 2016
Both hubby and I take a little vinegar straight for the occasional reflux. It has always seemed to work almost instantly. Amazing. Acv or regular.

I was trying to take a teaspoon a day to keep my stomach acid at a good level, since it decreases with age.

It hurt my throat so bad, I couldn't continue taking it that way.

A few years ago I switched to ACV capsules, which were very inexpensive. They seem to work just fine, although I don't use them every day.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I tried drinking a tablespoon in a glass of iced tea. I cannot handle it. What about ACV tablets?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
I read that it is better tasting put in a glass of V8.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
makrida
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/126/125
WOE: low carb/if
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I put a bit in sparkling flavored water. I quite like the taste
Old 03-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I can't handle the smell or the taste.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #11
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I think many who don't like the taste use the tablets. An article I read said you have to be careful about throat irritation with them. Some people add honey and lemon juice to the ACV water, but you would have had the same effect putting it in tea. I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it, but then, I don't feel that it did anything for me. I still use it for things like pickled eggs and beets because I like it that way. I do not like a vinegary salad dressing.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 03-08-2018 at 05:56 AM..
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #12
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I think many who don't like the taste use the tablets. An article I read said you have to be careful about throat irritation with them. Some people add honey and lemon juice to the ACV water, but you would have had the same effect putting it in tea. I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it, but then, I don't feel that it did anything for me. I still use it for things like pickled eggs and beets because I like it that way. I do not like a vinegary salad dressing.
I only used it one day and couldn't bring myself to do it again the next day. I drank it in iced tea in the morning and at night, and with dinner I put a tablespoon of it in with my regular balsamic dressing. It didn't really change the taste of the salad too much, but, again, I really don't care for the smell. The next morning my fasting blood sugar was 92, which was good, but I wasn't sure it was from the ACV because I often get 92 or even lower. The day before, my fasting BS was 99, so there was a difference. I think I'll try the tablets and see if I get consistently good BS results as the 92 may have resulted even without drinking the ACV the night before.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 03-08-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

had some in my v8 this morning - not to my liking, so will not do it again

I like it better with some sweetner in a 10 oz bottle of water, I am on day 2 of ACV!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
had some in my v8 this morning - not to my liking, so will not do it again

I like it better with some sweetner in a 10 oz bottle of water, I am on day 2 of ACV!
After all my squawking about not being able to stomach the ACV in my glass of iced tea, I read more about its blood sugar benefits so after breakfast I forced myself to drink a tablespoon in a taller glass of iced tea and held my breath while I drank and it wasn't quite as bad. I also used a straw because I've read that drinking ACV can wear away the enamel on your teeth. So, I just checked my blood sugar and it's 92 (I forgot to check it this morning), three hours after breakfast, which consisted of about 20 total grams of carbs (14 net grams after subtracting the fiber). I'm very pleased. So, I will drink it tonight before bed and see what my BS is in the morning. Leonak, do you test your blood sugar?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

no i do not test my blood sugar

will try it with ice tea in the morning - thanks for the tip
Old 03-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
michelle204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/242/228.4/205
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
I drink mine in a glass with water and Metamucil. The orange psyllium seems to tame the high acidity on the throat and I get the benefit of the fiber that is desperately needed. LOL
Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
no i do not test my blood sugar

will try it with ice tea in the morning - thanks for the tip
I just can't bring myself to drink it tonight. I'm going to the store tomorrow to look for ACV pills.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:21 AM   #18
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

put some in very warm water this morning, drank it with a straw

now about 20 minutes later the back of my throat does not feel right - rather almost burning???

Will go to wal-mart and see about some pills

now even wonder why i am taking any ACV???
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #19
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
put some in very warm water this morning, drank it with a straw

now about 20 minutes later the back of my throat does not feel right - rather almost burning???

Will go to wal-mart and see about some pills

now even wonder why i am taking any ACV???
I'm taking it....or I should say trying to take it....for my blood sugar. Although, I didn't drink it last night and this morning my BS was 86, which is the best it's been in a while. Could be because I had one dose yesterday morning, who knows. But I'm not ready to give up and that's why, like you, I'm going to buy ACV supplements. I do know that ACV is touted for a myriad of health benefits; there is another thread in the Main Lobby about it which may answer some of your questions.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 03-09-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I still have an odd feeling in my throat since taking some this morning, it is more like the top of my mouth only way in the back

did not get to wm so will check that out next time i get there
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #21
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I still have an odd feeling in my throat since taking some this morning, it is more like the top of my mouth only way in the back

did not get to wm so will check that out next time i get there
It can be a minor irritation, but since you haven't been drinking ACV on a regular basis, I'm sure it will be okay. I bought a bottle of supplements from Wegman's today; it wasn't the brand I planned to buy because they only had one kind, but we'll see.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #22
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Leona, how is your throat today? I took an ACV capsule before bed and this morning my fasting BS was 84! The last time I had a fasting number that low was when I didn't eat for two days before my colonoscopy. So either it's a coincidence or the ACV supplements work for me. I'll continue to test to see if it's just a fluke. BTW, the directions say to take 1-2 capsules 3X/day. I already took one this morning.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #23
DebM
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
When I tried it I thought I got leg cramps!
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #24
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebM View Post
When I tried it I thought I got leg cramps!
Interesting....my almost nightly leg cramps have lightened up the past week since I've been using the ACV. I take a supplement in the morning, a tablespoon of Bragg's ACV in my salad with dinner, and sometimes take one supplement at night.

This could just be an issue of timing, as I go through periods of relief from leg cramps followed by terrible cramping in calves and feet for several nights, and then the cycle starts over again. I'm currently waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As far as my morning fasting blood sugars, it's been varying from around 89 to 96. I'm not sure if the ACV is affecting it or not. I did go through a period where my morning numbers were around 100 (before I was taking ACV) but that seems to have gone away. Again, I don't know if it's from the ACV or not.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Leona, how is your throat today? I took an ACV capsule before bed and this morning my fasting BS was 84! The last time I had a fasting number that low was when I didn't eat for two days before my colonoscopy. So either it's a coincidence or the ACV supplements work for me. I'll continue to test to see if it's just a fluke. BTW, the directions say to take 1-2 capsules 3X/day. I already took one this morning.
Thanks For Asking Ronnie!

I still drink ACV each morning, no more throat problems at all. When it did bother me is when I also added the lemon juice that morning, it was a bit Strong!!

So far so good, dh is also taking it! I have mine in hot water and dh has his in V8.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #26
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Leona, I ‘m glad it’s working out for you and your DH!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #27
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Ronnie, please continue to report in how the ACV is working for you for both leg cramps and fasting blood sugar. I may consider trying it again. Maybe I gave up on it too soon without giving it a chance to do some good. I have been having problems with leg cramps just in the past year or so.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 03-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #28
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ronnie, please continue to report in how the ACV is working for you for both leg cramps and fasting blood sugar. I may consider trying it again. Maybe I gave up on it too soon without giving it a chance to do some good. I have been having problems with leg cramps just in the past year or so.
Hi PAC, I'm still taking it, although sometimes I forget to take it before I go to bed. My leg and foot cramps have been quieter. I haven't had them throughout the night like I was experiencing before, but they do tend to come in cycles, a couple of weeks okay, then bad cramps several nights in a row. This morning I got a calf cramp at 6am, but I didn't take an ACV supplement last night. I do think that taking the Bragg's Organic liquid ACV is more effective than the pills, but I'm one of those people who can't stomach drinking it. I have no problem putting a tablespoon in my salad, though, although I don't eat salad everyday and some of it does go to waste as there is always some dressing left in the bowl after I finish the salad. As far as my fasting BS, it's been okay, not as stellar as it was when I was drinking the ACV. Again, it could be because the pills are not as effective, or it could be because I've been forgetting to take a pill before bedtime. This morning it was 93. I've been getting mostly low 90's, although yesterday was 96. I haven't gotten the great mid to high 80's that I did a few times when I first started with the ACV. I wish I knew what's going on as I find there is no rhyme or reason with my BS. I have to add that I'm also taking Berberine, but only one per day (500mg as opposed to the recommended 1000mg) to help with my BS. I am going for a blood test in about 2 weeks, so I'll report what my fasting BS and A1c are. Having said all that, I will add that drinking/eating organic Bragg's ACV is probably good for you overall, perhaps not overtly, but if you can handle it, I think it's a healthy food to include in your diet. Not so sure about the supplements, though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Ronnie, I appreciate the update. I was drinking it along with some lemon juice added and I was OK with the taste. I didn't notice a difference with blood sugar but I wasn't having the leg and foot cramps back then like I am now. I think I'll go back to drinking it at bedtime and see if it helps. I wonder if I should drink it 3 times a day like it says to take the supplements. Another, think, I don't know if I was putting enough of the vinegar in each glass. I will read up on it again.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #30
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ronnie, I appreciate the update. I was drinking it along with some lemon juice added and I was OK with the taste. I didn't notice a difference with blood sugar but I wasn't having the leg and foot cramps back then like I am now. I think I'll go back to drinking it at bedtime and see if it helps. I wonder if I should drink it 3 times a day like it says to take the supplements. Another, think, I don't know if I was putting enough of the vinegar in each glass. I will read up on it again.
Of course everyone is different, but I've read people say they use 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon or 2 tablespoons. I was using 1 tablespoon. I took an ACV supplement this morning, then DH and I went out to brunch. I always order the same thing....tuna on rye toast with lettuce and tomato, and I eat one slice of the bread. I just checked my BS which is approximately 2-1/2 hours after eating and my BS is not too good after only eating 1 slice of bread...It's 123. I will try it again in 1/2 hour and see if it comes down more. Sometimes I'll check a couple hours of after eating and my BS will be too high and then a short time later it will be in the 90's so I hope this will be the case.