Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #91
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/118/135 Start:size 22, now size 0-2.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Linginfelter, I replied to your post on the Vitafiber thread about custom mixing.

As I said on there, it all depends on what you're after.

However, be advised that it is so new that no one on this forum has worked with it enough to know all the properties of BS in various applications, and the website is long on glowing praise for its product, but very short on any practical information. The company, in my experience and in that of others here, doesn't seem to answer email questions, as I posed a couple of simple ones, and they completely blew me off. No answer either time.

As you can see from my posts above, it does need to be well powdered before inclusion in any recipe that will not be significantly heated, or it will contribute a gritty mouthfeel. This can be true for some ice cream recipes that don't get actually cooked, and it was definitely true for making a chocolate bar. Chocolate tempering isn't done at high enough heat to allow the BS crystals to denature sufficiently to disappear into the finished product. The results were distractingly granular. Not what you want in a chocolate bar.

I'd caution against assuming yet that it's the only sweetener you'll ever need. Realize that the jury's still out on all facets of its performance under different conditions and applications. It's just too new. So far, it's promising, but there is at least that one caveat I've uncovered so far. Plus, it's extremely expensive (lowest price is only available if you invest in 6 pounds, at a mind-numbing $13 a pound, for a grand total of $77 and change! Trying a single pound will set you back some $18. And one pound yields only a touch over 2 cups. For reference, a small, 8" pan of brownies that I made last weekend took 1 cup, or 1/2 pound.) So as you can see, it doesn't go all that far.

And others here have experienced some mild gastric distress from it. YMMV. If you're diabetic or have other blood sugar issues, you will need to experiment with caution before using it exclusively. I can assure you as one who has had trouble with other sweeteners in the past, they can range from just the annoyance of mild to severe flatulence, all the way to incapacitating pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that can last for several hours and severely dehydrate you. Not to say that will happen to you. Chances are it won't. But before saying this is the only sweetener you will ever need, please be cautiously circumspect.

Last edited by Baricat; 10-07-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Baricat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #92
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
As usual, I agree completely with Cat.

My Bocha Sweet arrived the other day. First test: Hot chocolate made with unsweetened disks of dark chocolate. Needed two tablespoons to achieve properly sweet flavor, but then I use more chocolate than most people would.
Verdict: Perfect!

I am not diabetic (though that disease does run in the family on both sides) and am happily blessed with a GI tract that handles most anything that comes its way. No digestive issues for me.

Biggest negative with Bocha: EXTREME COST!
For this reason alone, I'd say you need to become familiar and happy with the other sweeteners out there. I've always found a blend of the various types to work best. Many different recipes for such on this forum and, of course, the internet.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #93
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexsreineSC View Post
As usual, I agree completely with Cat.

My Bocha Sweet arrived the other day. First test: Hot chocolate made with unsweetened disks of dark chocolate. Needed two tablespoons to achieve properly sweet flavor, but then I use more chocolate than most people would.
Verdict: Perfect!

I am not diabetic (though that disease does run in the family on both sides) and am happily blessed with a GI tract that handles most anything that comes its way. No digestive issues for me.

Biggest negative with Bocha: EXTREME COST!
For this reason alone, I'd say you need to become familiar and happy with the other sweeteners out there. I've always found a blend of the various types to work best. Many different recipes for such on this forum and, of course, the internet.

Ginny in SC
Very well said, Ginny!! (And I'm glad you had no GI issues with it, too!)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #94
linginfelter
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linginfelter
Thanks ladies! I am not diabetic but some sweeteners (malitol!) can be rough on my digestive system. I ordered Bochasweet and the various sweeteners for the blend Baricat uses for her AS mix. Fingers crossed! I am excited to see how these work out. I really appreciate your responses.
linginfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #95
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
You will need to get used to having different sweeteners to do different jobs. We typically didn't have just regular white sugar in our pantries, but also brown sugar, molasses, corn syrup, honey, powdered sugar, etc. It's really the same for alternative sweeteners, one size doesn't fit all.

If you're talking about strictly a granulated sugar replacement, Bochasweet works well, but it is a YMMV issue. Some people have experienced unpleasant side effects from it, so that's something to consider. Also, it is really, really, REALLY expensive, and the price alone right now makes it a companion sweetener and not a sole sweetener.
Also, apparently it does not caramelize, which means you will need a different sweetener if you plan to make caramel sauces and things like that.

Here are the sugar replacements I'm using right now:

Granulated sugar: Bochasweet, erythritol, Ideal

Brown sugar: Whey Low Brown, Just Like Sugar Brown

Powdered Sugar: Powdered erythritol, Ideal and Bochasweet

Corn syrup: Vitafiber syrup

Cocoa Mix: Lakanto Drinking Chocolate
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #96
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, English. Yet another !!

Adding to your list, one more sweetener that many of us keep in our baking/dessert arsenals is that of various syrups, such as Monin, DaVinci, and Torani. They are most valuable for use in liquid preparations, such as ice cream, but they have a role to play frequently in batters, such as in brownies, cheesecakes, etc. Because they are liquid, their use is contingent on figuring out how much you can use before the other liquids in the recipe will need to be altered. Monin and DaVinci (don't know enough about Torani to say if they do or don't) brands offer a flavorless syrup for the purpose of adding general sweetening without contributing a specific flavor. When the flavored versions are used, they not only flavor the item, but also increase the sweetness.

These syrups are almost always used in tandem with at least one other sweetener, so there's a corollary that supports English's point.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #97
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Thanks, English. Yet another !!

Adding to your list, one more sweetener that many of us keep in our baking/dessert arsenals is that of various syrups, such as Monin, DaVinci, and Torani. They are most valuable for use in liquid preparations, such as ice cream, but they have a role to play frequently in batters, such as in brownies, cheesecakes, etc. Because they are liquid, their use is contingent on figuring out how much you can use before the other liquids in the recipe will need to be altered. Monin and DaVinci (don't know enough about Torani to say if they do or don't) brands offer a flavorless syrup for the purpose of adding general sweetening without contributing a specific flavor. When the flavored versions are used, they not only flavor the item, but also increase the sweetness.

These syrups are almost always used in tandem with at least one other sweetener, so there's a corollary that supports English's point.
Excellent point. I no longer use syrups, but I do use coffee sweeteners/enhancers and I also use Splenda Zero for when I need an extra boost of sweetener or intense flavor boost (caramel, hazelnut, etc). It really comes in handy when using sweeteners like erythritol.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote