Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #1231
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I didn't really think my suggestions for Casey would make her mother happy, but just stop her from saying that her kids are "too busy to help." I guess nothing will make her happy, sadly.

Kris, I developed heel pain when my employer changed our workstations from sitting to standing. 8 hours of standing did me in. Changing shoes to one with a slightly elevated wedge heel helped. Mine was probably from the change of position of my foot. Yours sounds like it's more complicated. I'm sorry that nothing is helping you. It's terrible to have foot pain. Have you gone to physical therapy? That helped tremendously with my bad shoulder.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #1232
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
hi, all!. I didn't know that you'd been denied treatment last week either, GB, so you must not have mentioned it. And I really appreciate everyone's input on my "mom issue" - it helps to be reminded that they won't be around forever and when they're gone, I'll miss the harassment - ha. Dad is doing awesome and we see the surgeon on Thursday for follow up and plan for going for forward - I hope he gets the "all clear" and that radiation and chemo are NOT part of the plan! My brother is also doing well - his eye will heal gradually and we'll see if he gets 100% vision back. I hope delaying treatment didn't impact his vision.

Kris I hope you start to see improvement soon - it's so frustrating to be sidelined and not able to get out and do things. I agree with the physical therapy idea - even if just to get ideas for speeding up the recovery.

GB - I've used oregano oil, but had not heard of olive leaf extract. I'm looking into it. I've also used elderberry syrup for immune system and allergies. I'm always on the lookout for natural things to support the immune system and shorten colds. And I rarely get sick. (Knock wood - haha)
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #1233
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Thank you CASEY & PAC & everyone. I appreciate all advice. The sad thing for me is I'm used to sitting doing nothing now day after day all day and it's become my life (hence the weightgain). I used to be the first one to jump up and got things for everyone, run the errands, get the mail, change the channel in the old days, etc. But now I ask DH to bring me this, bring me that, & I'm lazy and don't walk on the heel unless I HAVE to. I do get up to change diapers a lot with baby being on anitibiotics What a mess

In fact, gotta go change 2nd diaper in 10 minutes, More later....
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #1234
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post
Thank you CASEY & PAC & everyone. I appreciate all advice. The sad thing for me is I'm used to sitting doing nothing now day after day all day and it's become my life (hence the weightgain). I used to be the first one to jump up and got things for everyone, run the errands, get the mail, change the channel in the old days, etc. But now I ask DH to bring me this, bring me that, & I'm lazy and don't walk on the heel unless I HAVE to. I do get up to change diapers a lot with baby being on anitibiotics What a mess

In fact, gotta go change 2nd diaper in 10 minutes, More later....
Hi Kris I want to encourage you. I can relate in a way that might help. It got to the point with the cancer where I took time off of work and slept a lot. I didn't exercise and I was sort of preparing to die.

With no exercise and the cancer taking it's share of nutrients I was in atrophy and lost a lot of muscle. Then the chemo started and I quickly developed bad edema in my legs.

Whether fact or fiction I took it that I might have angioedema, like my heart wasn't getting the job done anymore. At that point something flipped, like a switch in my thinking. I wanted to take my life back.

Getting up early wasn't a problem, so early in the morning I started to bounce on the mini trampoline (which I hate). I wanted to get my heart and lymph system moving. I introduced my light weights back in along with a handful of push ups. I used to do 100 in a row, now I was down to three in a row.

But I was trying. I began to jog the length of my front yard. My heart would pound at that distance. I have kept this up for the past couple of months and my edema has slowly improved. The blood transfusion helped give me some breath back.

I realize your situation takes you off your feet. Ok, so the feet don't work. What does work still? I want to encourage you to take what does work and just start doing it. Sit down and lift light arm weights. Yes, it's boring, just like my re-bounder.

Lay on your back and do a few crunches. Don't start with a huge time commitment (unless you want to), but just start. No need to break a sweat. Just start something. I will go out to my front yard in a minute, as the sun rises, and do my little routine.

It's not much. I will never turn heads again. I'm bald with a nerf ball sticking out of my leg and my left buttock. I'm just trying to be smarter. Why should I die from cancer and a weak heart on top of it?

I know you're really down right now. You were a runner and a walker. That's gone for a season. It will come back. It's time to start doing something. You have a whole lot of body that can still move. Move it then, don't stay on the couch too much.

Keep the heart pumping blood beyond a resting rate. You can do this. You won't see any big results, but you will be doing it! Forget results, although I can do 20 push ups in a row now (no more only three). I'm still skinny and ugly, but I'm trying. I want you to get back to trying.

Maybe I have something wrong about my encouragement, but I just know that we can lose the "trying" part. That's too much to lose my friend. I hope you have a better day today.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:47 AM   #1235
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning All!! Up early waiting for baby to come & icing my foot. Not much new here.

GB Reading your advice to me did help. I got on the stationary bike for 5 mins (still hate it pretty much) and then got on the floor for some back stretches, sit ups, arm lifts with small weights, etc. I've always done that a couple of times per week but had gotten lax in my newfound 'laziness'. While peddling the bike I do arm lifts with 3 lb weights and I do counter push ups. But I have really been in a funk lately, not wanting to do anything. I can't let this take over tho. I guess I kinda gave up and was eating more too, weight keeps inching up. It's really really hard for me if I can't run. Running was my answer for everything I guess - it always helped with getting weight off AND put me in diet mode to eat less. I've just got to accept I cant do it anymore and live with it. I also took the baby to the mall and walked around one lap. First time in a long while. So far foot no worse because of it, but no better either. But anyhow thanks, maybe your words got me off the couch anyway!!

Hope everyone is doing well.
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #1236
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

good job, Kris - I think that breaking the pattern you were in was the best thing you could have done. We can do ourselves in mentally. We can think ourselves into defeat. Plus we need fresh air and sunshine. When I'm not feeling perky, I know that even a walk around the block, or just sitting outside in the sun will make me feel more positive.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #1237
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good Morning All!! Up early waiting for baby to come & icing my foot. Not much new here.

GB Reading your advice to me did help. I got on the stationary bike for 5 mins (still hate it pretty much) and then got on the floor for some back stretches, sit ups, arm lifts with small weights, etc. I've always done that a couple of times per week but had gotten lax in my newfound 'laziness'. While peddling the bike I do arm lifts with 3 lb weights and I do counter push ups. But I have really been in a funk lately, not wanting to do anything. I can't let this take over tho. I guess I kinda gave up and was eating more too, weight keeps inching up. It's really really hard for me if I can't run. Running was my answer for everything I guess - it always helped with getting weight off AND put me in diet mode to eat less. I've just got to accept I cant do it anymore and live with it. I also took the baby to the mall and walked around one lap. First time in a long while. So far foot no worse because of it, but no better either. But anyhow thanks, maybe your words got me off the couch anyway!!

Hope everyone is doing well.
Yay Kris Nice going to get off that couch. I agree with Casey
, it can be about small things. Of course I know that where you live can make it hard to sit in the sun. But when it's there, go get it.

There's a nasty cold going around this area. And looks like I found it too. Today I go in to get my white cell count checked out. It's weird to think that a cold can kill me.

Thankfully they have a shot that makes your bone marrow rapidly produce white cells. All chemo patients need it or chemo wouldn't be possible.

Anyway, I have just been a snot producing machine the last couple of days. My upper lip is sore from all the nose blowing. Fortunately I'm not blowing out green stuff.

I think I have this lion by the tail. Thank God for all the natural stuff he gave man in plants to fight off infection.

I can't wait to go on another vacation. But it's complicated with chemo and blood counts. You become a prisoner of these shots I talked about. I'm involved with the doctor's office or a clinic 5 to 6 days a week. I'm either getting an infusion or a shot.

So how do I go away for 3 nights? I came back from this last trip with almost no white cells! They do have an arm band that somehow medicates you, so that might be the answer.

I used to see these commercials (before I was a chemo patient) advertising it. I'd just shake my head when they rattled off the possible side effects. I'd be like "I will never take that stuff." But now it's take that stuff or die.

And the truth be told, I have found that the drugs I'm taking are not as freaky as they sound. So far my eyes aren't bleeding and I have no suicidal thoughts.

Drugs are saving my life right now. I was out in the country last week musing on vineyards with a cold beer in my hand. Without drugs I'd be in heaven instead.

Which of course is far better than cold beer and beautiful countryside, but it's that process of actually dying that freaks us all out, right? You should see my face when I feel threatened with eminent death!

When I swelled up after my blood transfusion and before my wife called the doctor to find out that is normal, you should have seen and heard me. I was sooooo serious.

I don't mind moving to heaven, but I do mind dying first. If you think it might happen any minute, all joking around goes out the window real fast.

Kris Keep up the good job.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #1238
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

An Update: Went in yesterday for blood work. My white cells were very high No shot needed. Last night I turned the corner on this nasty cold. I feel much better this morning, thank you.

I meet with the doctor tomorrow. Still trying to figure out how I'm not going to let myself hit bottom again on white cell count. Kind of tricky. Have a great LC day my friends.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #1239
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

That's good news, GB!. We have a follow-up appointment with my dad's surgeon this morning... Will hear his recommendation for path forward. I'm optimistic, based on how the surgery went and how recovery is going. I don't think he's walking enough, but I can't be the exercise police!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #1240
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

glad your cold is easing and you got your white blood cells up there GB

CASEY I hope your dad's appointment went well today.

I had a pretty good day, nothing going on really. I got on the bike for 10 minutes this morning and even got outside and walked 2 miles slowly. Took 45 mins but it was a start. Today was the most steps I've had on the fitbit since October. It was nowhere near my usual but its in the right direction. My foot still hurt some but seemed a little better so I dug out my old round bottom Sketcher shape up shoes and gave it a try. They are really old and very worn but in thinking back I realized I started having the Plantar Fis problem when I Stopped wearing them and they are really rounded in the center of my foot like a rocker. I know it's probably just a coincidence because these shoes are really in bad shape plus you can't even buy them anywhere anymore I don't think. The company was sued for false advertising and everybody returned them for a refund but I liked mine so I kept them. This walk today was less painful than everytime I tried to walk a couple of months ago Anyhow, we will see how it feels tomorrow but at least I was able to walk for 45 minutes without having to turn back in pain so I'll take it

PAC I went to Walmart to buy the turmeric but didn't see any with pepperine in it. It just said turmeric curcumin or something like that. How many mg do you take per day? Someone suggested magnesium and Vitamine B5 as a treatment too. I am so confused about supplements. Maybe I should order some on line. I am icing the foot now & keeping fingers crossed but I sure was happy to get moving a little!!!

I know my weight is still up but I'm afraid to get on the scale
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #1241
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
glad your cold is easing and you got your white blood cells up there GB

CASEY I hope your dad's appointment went well today.

I had a pretty good day, nothing going on really. I got on the bike for 10 minutes this morning and even got outside and walked 2 miles slowly. Took 45 mins but it was a start. Today was the most steps I've had on the fitbit since October. It was nowhere near my usual but its in the right direction. My foot still hurt some but seemed a little better so I dug out my old round bottom Sketcher shape up shoes and gave it a try. They are really old and very worn but in thinking back I realized I started having the Plantar Fis problem when I Stopped wearing them and they are really rounded in the center of my foot like a rocker. I know it's probably just a coincidence because these shoes are really in bad shape plus you can't even buy them anywhere anymore I don't think. The company was sued for false advertising and everybody returned them for a refund but I liked mine so I kept them. This walk today was less painful than everytime I tried to walk a couple of months ago Anyhow, we will see how it feels tomorrow but at least I was able to walk for 45 minutes without having to turn back in pain so I'll take it

PAC I went to Walmart to buy the turmeric but didn't see any with pepperine in it. It just said turmeric curcumin or something like that. How many mg do you take per day? Someone suggested magnesium and Vitamine B5 as a treatment too. I am so confused about supplements. Maybe I should order some on line. I am icing the foot now & keeping fingers crossed but I sure was happy to get moving a little!!!

I know my weight is still up but I'm afraid to get on the scale
Don't even think about your weight right now. You can walk!!! Take your small victories and enjoy your senior years.

Keep us posted Casey on daddy.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #1242
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

hi, GB and Kris! I went into the appointment cautiously optimistic, and the news could not have been better: they categorized the squamous cell cancer as Stage 1A, margins are clear, lymph nodes are clear, not radiation or chemo, he can tape off the oxygen whenever he is ready, he sees the doc again in 3 months, then every six months for a couple of years! He hasn't taken ANY pain meds since leaving the hospital. Staples came out yesterday, too - 9 days post surgery! And he's free to resume all activities, except "heavy lifting," which he doesn't do much of anyway (at 82) - ha.

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #1243
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
hi, GB and Kris! I went into the appointment cautiously optimistic, and the news could not have been better: they categorized the squamous cell cancer as Stage 1A, margins are clear, lymph nodes are clear, not radiation or chemo, he can tape off the oxygen whenever he is ready, he sees the doc again in 3 months, then every six months for a couple of years! He hasn't taken ANY pain meds since leaving the hospital. Staples came out yesterday, too - 9 days post surgery! And he's free to resume all activities, except "heavy lifting," which he doesn't do much of anyway (at 82) - ha.

Hi Casey That is great news. So much different than my cancer situation. It sounds strange to my ears that he doesn't see the doctor again for 3 months!

It's like I am starting to forget life before cancer. Where I NEVER saw the doctor for anything. Now it's 5 days a week for something. And this will probably never end for the rest of my one, two or three years I have left to live.

I'm not sure of my own feelings about it all anymore. You get so used to that "forever" feeling we all kind of have, where you just don't really see yourself coming to that day of actually dying.

And before cancer my DW could never quite get past the times I hurt her over the years. She was stuck in resentment. I knew it and I was always planning my escape from prison.

Then the cancer diagnosis and she just melted. It's like I got a "get out of jail card" for free. Suddenly I was wanted again. I became important again. She sees me and I can tell she is happy to see me.

We are really starting to enjoy each other's company after years of apathy and feeling like a piece of furniture.

It's almost like I appreciate my cancer. It made me special. Everyone loves you so much more when they don't know how long they have you.

And then there are those like your mom who apparently don't love more, even when faced with what was looking scary for your dad.

But as I continue to survive I do see less texts coming in from friends wondering how I am feeling. People are like "I thought he was dying so I took more of an interest in him, but look....he keeps living, so never-mind."

Well, sorry for the ramble. Life. The bible says it's a vapor that appears for a while and then vanishes away. I'm finding each day stranger than the day before. I get to the end of a day and I don't know what to do with myself.

Go to bed? Get up and do it all over again? I should try to help people more. Do some good before I depart. Heaven will be so different. No more boredom. No more waiting to die.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #1244
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

I had many of those same thoughts, GB - it's so unusual to hear a "happy ending" to a cancer story... And I wondered how many were taking more of an interest because he might be gone soon. And his attitude was different - he was making more of an effort with my brother, and trying to help my mom out more. I wonder too if a DIFFERENT diagnosis would have softened my mom, like you and your wife. You are so right - we have that "forever" feeling when we aren't faced with actually dying - which makes it easier for me to say that I'm excited to see heaven and to have bodies that are perfect and never fail us.

Last edited by Casey; 02-16-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #1245
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had many of those same thoughts, GB - it's so unusual to hear a "happy ending" to a cancer story... And I wondered how many were taking more of an interest because he might be gone soon. And his attitude was different - he was making more of an effort with my brother, and trying to help my mom out more. I wonder too if a DIFFERENT diagnosis would have softened my mom, like you and your wife. You are so right - we have that "forever" feeling when we aren't faced with actually dying - which makes it easier for me to say that I'm excited to see heaven and to have bodies that are perfect and never fail us.
We think a lot alike. Good morning Casey and all the friends on this thread. How's dad doing so far?

And for that matter, your brother's eye?

I had a good Saturday. The sun was out here in California and I washed my new truck on the front lawn. Good exercise. Rode my e-bike quite a bit and sat in the sun a lot. Washed Dw's car too.

So I felt productive and yet made time for pure enjoyment as well. I was a good way to get thru a nice day.

I sure wish I had something going in my life that really interested me. In times past my main interest was getting up to the Santa Barbara area, whether with my wife and children or by myself (mostly by myself).

It was a real passion. I'd scheme about what method of camping I'd do. I'd tent camp, take our RV, sleep in my truck, built a camper on another truck. It was my life outside of work. I went some 300 times over a 15 year plus stretch.

Towards the end I got really buff and rode around without a shirt, looking for attention. And I got some. I thought I had arrived at the reason for living.

Tho all along I knew God was not pleased with my vain spirit. That's why, when the cancer diagnosis came I felt a sense of relief. I knew my days of being tempted to be seen, to be admired... were OVER.

I love having my wife back. But I am a bit stuck because I built so much of my life on sand, that now in my old age I am struggling for purpose, for meaning.

Like a man who is building an invention that will help millions of people have a better life and just so happen to make him rich at the same time. No more money worries.

As it stands I will paint houses until I can't move anymore. I want to go on these vacations with my wife, but she is a normal person who just can't run off and play every other week.

So I feel stuck. I am heaven bound, but again...since death is the gateway, most of us are like "can we just put heaven off a while longer please?"

Even Christian friends express their sorrow that I have cancer and will most likely die soon. Why? I'm going to heaven. That's infinitely better than going to Tahiti. Yet death remains an enemy.

So here I am on another day. I will go to church, but otherwise I will struggle some to fill the hours. My wife will go to a small group bible meeting this afternoon. I used to go but they spend so much time in "small talk." It drove me crazy.

So I will miss her for a couple of hours. I don't like that anymore. Life.

Sorry if I sound like a bummer. Have a great Sunday.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #1246
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

You're never a bummer, GB - you make me think deeper than I'd normally go. I think that even as Christians, we struggle for the "appropriate response" to cancer, or any sad event or diagnosis. I went on a hike yesterday with a group, I knew we are meeting at the church but I didn't know it was a church group… It was awesome. We stopped Occasionally for prayer and to discuss being in the wilderness and that the turnaround point we had communion. It was a unique experience.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #1247
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You're never a bummer, GB - you make me think deeper than I'd normally go. I think that even as Christians, we struggle for the "appropriate response" to cancer, or any sad event or diagnosis. I went on a hike yesterday with a group, I knew we are meeting at the church but I didn't know it was a church group… It was awesome. We stopped Occasionally for prayer and to discuss being in the wilderness and that the turnaround point we had communion. It was a unique experience.
Awwww well thnx Casey I'm glad you had a good experience with your hiking group.

I ended up going with my wife yesterday to the small group study. Mostly because it was going to be at a different home where I really like the couple hosting it. He does a good job of keeping things on schedule. At my age those things matter more.

Asked my wife for spaghetti last night, but we agreed that the sauce might cost me sleep. So she just made the noodles with butter and some shaved Italian cheeses.

I know, it wasn't LC, but I find myself taking more liberties these days. The cancer causes it's own weight loss, so I get a free pass. It was great comfort food. Hadn't had it in years I think. The texture is so much fun.

I'm glad I make you think deeper. Seems like a good thing to me. I'm still shaking off this cold. It was such a snot maker. But never the green stuff. I;m less congested this morning, so that feels nice.

Not much to say today. It's a Monday for all of us. Always feels a little weird to come off the weekend and get back in the saddle. I slept good. I had been having strange dreams that I didn't like, so I asked the Lord for some good dreams, like sharing the gospel with people.

Instead He gave me mostly surfing dreams which were a lot of fun. It makes a difference for me to wake up from fun dreams. I just feel happier. Have a great LC day Casey and Kris and DL and the rest of the gang.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #1248
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart: 4/2018
Quote:
Anyhow, we will see how it feels tomorrow but at least I was able to walk for 45 minutes without having to turn back in pain so I'll take it
Fantastic news! You go girl!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #1249
Izzysdream
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart: 4/2018
Quote:

Wonderful news Casey!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 AM   #1250
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

hi, GB . Like Izzy, I'm glad that you are posting here instead of journaling privately. You are having an impact on people without even realizing it! You are getting us to think and talk about things that are uncomfortable or challenging. I don't even remember how or why I found this thread - I think I was just intrigued by the title - but it's something that I look forward to coming to every day. And I followed the thread for quite a while before I joined in.

Hi, Kris!. I'm happy that you were able to walk for so long without pain! Pain really affects us mentally - it's hard to think "rationally" or normally when there is pain. We start thinking catastrophically and go down a dark path. Then you have a good day and the fog lifts! And I think that sometimes we have to go through those times to really appreciate things more!

Last edited by Casey; 02-20-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1251
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Everyone! And thanks for all the kind words. I didn't realize that it had been so long since I checked in here. Time goes so fast, I missed a lot of deep thinking and good writing in here. Good to catch up. I'm so glad that it sounds like things are going at least OK for all of you.

I got another little cold & when I do it starts with killer sore throat so I spent Sunday in bed all day watching tv and sipping OJ Very unproductive but sometimes feels good to do that for a big change. I think my immune system is down this year for some reason, getting sick much more. Can it be lack of decent exercise & bad eating? Weight is up somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds from my usual and where I try to keep it, maybe that too Maybe it's just being old

I'm still not eating so good but I have been able to walk some either at the mall or at the local cemetary. I don't want to jinx anything, but I THINK I can finally say that my foot is getting a little better very slowly?? I'm still doing all the 'stuff' I was and now wearing round bottom sketchers ALL the time & when I walk in them the pain is way less I have not dropped any weight as I said, and it's way past the time to get started. I hope that soon I can come on here and tell you all that I HAVE started a program but I can't yet.

Well back to babysitting; almost time to feed the little guy. He's finally thru all of his meds for the phnemonia and hopefully on the mend!!
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #1252
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
hi, GB . Like Izzy, I'm glad that you are posting here instead of journaling privately. You are having an impact on people without even realizing it! You are getting us to think and talk about things that are uncomfortable or challenging. I don't even remember how or why I found this thread - I think I was just intrigued by the title - but it's something that I look forward to coming to every day. And I followed the thread for quite a while before I joined in.

Hi, Kris!. I'm happy that you were able to walk for so long without pain! Pain really affects us mentally - it's hard to think "rationally" or normally when there is pain. We start thinking catastrophically and go down a dark path. Then you have a good day and the fog lifts! And I think that sometimes we have to go through those times to really appreciate things more!
Good morning Casey. Hey this thread has really changed a lot from a couple of months ago. We are a different kind of thread. I appreciate you and the newer members like Izzy and DL. Kris and I have been here for years together.

Sometimes I disappeared for weeks in a row. Mostly because I wasn't being successful with weight loss and I felt useless to share. Then I'd peek in and read Kris or PAC
asking where GB was or a I hope GB is ok? Then I'd feel convicted for just leaving them in the dark. So I'd say hello so they knew I hadn't died.

It really encourages me to have the new faces around. You get enough people and the group can afford someone taking a break from posting. Sometimes it used to be just Kris alone for days. But she never gave up.

Over the years in here I have gone from a proud peacock who would lose lots of weight and then talk about the compliments I was getting. Not that there isn't a legit place for losing and being proud of it and mentioning a compliment. There is. But I was all about turning heads.

Remember Kris? It was my identity. Again, I was building my life on sand, because when the storms of life hit, you have no real substance about yourself. You're just conceited and it only works if everything is going smoothly. You all know what I'm saying.

Funny how it is that we universally disapprove of conceit. We say "that person is so conceited ...." It's a universal negative character trait. Most of the conceited people try to hide it. I did too. But you could hear it in here a while back coming out of my mouth.

Being admired by others is such a strong draw. Weight loss can be for health, to just feel better, and to look better, but the looking better can be a slippery slope. The Lord declares that He hates a proud look. He sees the puffed up heart and He hates it. Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up says the Word.

Ok, so most of us in here know that one. For those reading along who don't or who disagree, that's ok. I'm glad they're reading along anyway. Let each person be convicted in their own heart according to what is really true about life. God will make it known.

Have a great LC day my friends. Keep on posting.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #1253
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Here's a different perspective - I was married to someone who always wanted me thinner and said he'd leave if I ever got fat or pregnant! (And I was 5'9" and 120-125 pounds when he left!) And he wanted me dressed in the skimpiest outfits, and high heels - I wasn't "allowed" to wear sweats or my hair pulled back out of my face... So after 15 years he left anyway and when I'd date someone, if they focused on how I looked or dressed, it was a red flag. It was hard for me to take a compliment because it made me uncomfortable. Now I've been divorced longer than I was married and I have a healthy relationship with my body and with food, and I can take a compliment, but I see it as just my body here, and not my forever body or my forever goals. My identity isn't defined by what other people think (anymore).
Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #1254
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds like the thread is full of good news! Kris's foot is doing better, Casey's Dad is doing better, Izzy's brother is doing better, and GB is enjoying his spaghetti and becoming more humble. LOL I hope you're getting good news, too, GB.

I am doing OK. No illness right now. Back in Onderland for 11 days and holding. Little bit of exercise here and there....not setting any records. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi.

I hope DL is doing well with her Daniel fast.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #1255
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

hi, Carol! congrats on staying in onderland for 11 days! Keep up the good work - stay focused on the long term goal!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #1256
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here's a different perspective - I was married to someone who always wanted me thinner and said he'd leave if I ever got fat or pregnant! (And I was 5'9" and 120-125 pounds when he left!) And he wanted me dressed in the skimpiest outfits, and high heels - I wasn't "allowed" to wear sweats or my hair pulled back out of my face... So after 15 years he left anyway and when I'd date someone, if they focused on how I looked or dressed, it was a red flag. It was hard for me to take a compliment because it made me uncomfortable. Now I've been divorced longer than I was married and I have a healthy relationship with my body and with food, and I can take a compliment, but I see it as just my body here, and not my forever body or my forever goals. My identity isn't defined by what other people think (anymore).
Good morning Casey
Oh my goodness, I can't believe there are control freak husbands out there like that. I know there are, but it still seems strange. Gag. I'm sorry you were left, but it sounds like a relief too.

Sounds like you're in a much better place and I'm happy for you.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #1257
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

It was hard to see the positives when I was in the midst of it, but I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have that experience. The worst things that have happened to me in my life have changed me the most for the best! Sometimes it's only in retrospect that we see God's hand in things!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #1258
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
It sounds like the thread is full of good news! Kris's foot is doing better, Casey's Dad is doing better, Izzy's brother is doing better, and GB is enjoying his spaghetti and becoming more humble. LOL I hope you're getting good news, too, GB.

I am doing OK. No illness right now. Back in Onderland for 11 days and holding. Little bit of exercise here and there....not setting any records. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi.

I hope DL is doing well with her Daniel fast.
Hi PAC. Yes some good things are happening in here. It's great that we have all played a part in prayer and encouragement.

I have been loving the spaghetti. Had it again last night with roasted, organic chicken. My wife asked me if I wanted seconds and I wisely said I shouldn't. But I wanted more. It is so much fun.

I'm still far from being a man known for humility. But at least I am seeing the virtue of it more clearly. I cringe at my recent years of trying to be as good looking as I could get.

I was so insecure. The one thing that brought an immediate sense of significance was any approval from the opposite ___. Can't say that word in a post.

But I was trading that for a right walk with God. I should have just humbled out before my DW, but I was too weak. I was afraid of rejection. Or "oh that's nice that you are admitting your failure, now ....can you fix this and that and jump thru these hoops? And when you're done, I have more hoops for you to jump thru."

So I ran. Always running away inside. Somehow the cancer gives me a special status and I'm totally accepted for being me and just being alive still. No big expectations. It's like the way it should have always been.

The cancer itself is humbling. When you have nerf balls hanging out of your body, you are no longer desired. No one wants you in a romantic way. I'd have no one if I didn't have my DW. To say I appreciate her more than ever now would be an under statement. She is all I have in the realm of acceptance by a woman.

So it's all good. God knew how to straighten everything out. It just took some affliction. I'm thankful. Have a great LC day PAC. Sounds like you got things under control.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #1259
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Hi PAC & everyone! Yes good to hear from you PAC and congrats on staying in Wonderland for 11 days. That is great I know it's not an easy thing for you to do. Maintenance is harder than losing, you are doing great.

I am the same, up to a solid 150 now, highest I've been in quite a while. Goal is 130 but still not exercising. Guess I was wrong about the foot, or over-confidant or something I'm still doing all the stuff to help it but it hurts worse this morning than it ever did, or at least the same. It was false hope I guess. But wearing the sketchers does ease pain while I'm trying to get around, or go for short walks. Still wearing the boot at night and I'm used to that.

Lots of good stuff in here! I am thankful for DH too, he does a lot for my kids and grandkids and me. too old here to ever think of turning heads again!!!!
24 Apr 2018 - 155
8 May2018 - 149
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #1260
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, I think your foot is probably healing, but maybe you did too much too soon when it started to feel better. Just take it slow and easy.

GB, I love spaghetti, too. My kids loved it growing up and I used to make it every Saturday. Unfortunately, with diabetes, it's off the menu, except for an occasional indulgence. I like it any way,with or without sauce, and sometimes just with melted butter. Yum!

Dr Jason Fung