Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #121
Gibbs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 375/263/199 or less
WOE: Stay below 20 carbs per day
Start Date: 7/12/16 for yet another time
Sea Tangle noodles!! Much, MUCH better than Shirataki. No nasty smell, a nice crunch to start with, takes on the color and flavor what whatever you use them in. 0 carbs. $3.09/bag, 3 servings/bag.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #122
millergirl1976
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 165.0/139.6/135<- 28in waist
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 1/4/16
This is a very handy thread. I just ordered oat fiber (for dumplings- weee!!), Ideal brown sugar, and low-carb tortillas. I am now wishing I would have added Davinci pancake syrup and Guys bbq sauce. Oh and those sea tangle noodles.

I think three items necessitates another order...

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #123
jhbyrd
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/211/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012/ Sept 2015
I too love the Guys BBQ sauce!!!I will have to try the Sea Tangle Noodles, I did not like the other kind but I am not a paste person!!

Jeannie
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #124
ItsOverSugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsOverSugar
Stats: 243.5/242.5/150 (highest wt 287)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 7/1/16
Adding the sea tangle noodles and ideal brown sugar to my list.
ItsOverSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #125
AddysMommy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
i'm going to try LC Foods Sweet Brown sweetener, and Toufayan Bakeries LC pita bread ( it's the only one without flax, another allergy!) and also NOW Inulin Powder.
AddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #126
ItsOverSugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ItsOverSugar
Stats: 243.5/242.5/150 (highest wt 287)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 7/1/16
AddysMommy, did you place your order?

I have some new favorites from my order. The sea tangle noodles are great! I only ordered two since I wasn't sure how I'd like them and wish I had ordered more. I may be placing another order for them soon.

Oat fiber is another ones that will forever be on my list of things to get. I've been making hot cereal with golden flax, almond flour, shredded coconut, oat fiber and davinci syrups. To be able to have that oat taste without all the carbs .. I'm in love!

Last edited by ItsOverSugar; 04-06-2013 at 04:13 PM..
ItsOverSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #127
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/182/175 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Netrition products you can't live without?

As I am expanding my low carb recipes with guidance from so many great ideas here, I'm seeing many recipes with ingredients you won't find at your typical grocery store, and in some cases, not even at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

One product that intrigues me is the DaVinci syrups---Particularly to use in something like cream cheese muffins. Seems many here use it.

When growing into a LC WOE the ingredients to get started with can be overwhelming. So I'm wondering which products y'all wouldn't want to be without, use the most, and why.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #128
jmc305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
They have DaVinci and Torani syrups at Wal Mart and Sam's in my area. But I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of it. I think it tastes horrid. When I started, there was a LOT of stuff I bought at Netrition- sugar free maltitol honey, Smaps (horrible soy cereal), Isomalt (for low carb candy), CarbQuik, etc. I eventually found out that I was better off with more of a natural approach using ordinary foods available at any grocery store.

If you put a gun to my head, I guess I would say sugar free ketchup, EZ sweetz, sugar free chocolate chips are my "MUST HAVES" but I try to keep it to a bare minimum.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #129
picklepete
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I like Sweetleaf liquids, erythritol powder, Bob's red mill stuff, and Goya coconut milk
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #130
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
They have DaVinci and Torani syrups at Wal Mart and Sam's in my area. But I wouldn't give you a nickel for any of it. I think it tastes horrid. When I started, there was a LOT of stuff I bought at Netrition- sugar free maltitol honey, Smaps (horrible soy cereal), Isomalt (for low carb candy), CarbQuik, etc. I eventually found out that I was better off with more of a natural approach using ordinary foods available at any grocery store.

If you put a gun to my head, I guess I would say sugar free ketchup, EZ sweetz, sugar free chocolate chips are my "MUST HAVES" but I try to keep it to a bare minimum.
Thanks for this. It's so tempting to buy every new thing and try it. However, I'm thinking of using the Davinci in recipes---do you find it tastes like crap in recipes?

I don't shop at Wal-mart. Ever. It's my political WOE, lol. And there's no Sam's club in my area, and from all I've read, I would prefer Costco, which is close enough, but can't get used to or use their king size everything.

Seems I can get Heinz reduced sugar ketchup at Target. I'm intrigued by the sugar free chocolate chips. Thanks for adding in.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #131
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I like Sweetleaf liquids, erythritol powder, Bob's red mill stuff, and Goya coconut milk
Thanks picklepete, and howdy from a fellow Minnesotan! My instinct is to stick with whole foods and NOT stock up on unnecessary crap. Checking our your recs.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #132
picklepete
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
do you find it tastes like crap in recipes?
I've dabbled with them. The ones that imitate a simple form of sugar like caramel, butterscotch, marshmallow, or praline are pretty convincing as long as you compensate for the liquid (treat it like extra water). The fruit and chocolate ones are pretty bad IMO.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #133
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've dabbled with them. The ones that imitate a simple form of sugar like caramel, butterscotch, marshmallow, or praline are pretty convincing as long as you compensate for the liquid (treat it like extra water). The fruit and chocolate ones are pretty bad IMO.
Oh, thank you for this! I was thinking of the caramel, to add to cream cheese muffins in hope of creating something like a creme brulee flavor.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #134
reddarin
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
You might be able to sample the Torani and DaVinci brands if a local place uses them for sugar free drinks. At least you'd get an idea of what they taste like in a drink anyway.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #135
picklepete
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks picklepete, and howdy from a fellow Minnesotan!
Aye, enjoying our lovely spring?

Quote:
My instinct is to stick with whole foods and NOT stock up on unnecessary crap. Checking our your recs.
That's absolutely wise, I try to keep my food as perishable as possible (I know I'm doing well if the fridge is empty on grocery day). But there will always be social occasions and holidays and I like to offer something festive without keeping sugar and wheat in the house.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #136
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Aye, enjoying our lovely spring?

That's absolutely wise, I try to keep my food as perishable as possible (I know I'm doing well if the fridge is empty on grocery day). But there will always be social occasions and holidays and I like to offer something festive without keeping sugar and wheat in the house.
Ha. You were generous with your icon regarding spring this year in our fair state. I'd go more for

So I think I'm going to try the Davinci Caramel. We'll see. But I figure the best way to learn is to dip one's toes in, a little at a time.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #137
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I like the EZ-Sweetz sucralose and the Stevita liquid stevia extract (clear). I have lots of other stuff in my cart, but nothing I couldn't live without. They do have very good prices and service. I've placed two good sized orders and both have arrived quickly and everything is packaged very carefully.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 04-09-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #138
gungadinn1997
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gungadinn1997
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
You can get a "syrup" like davinci at dollar tree that is caramel sweetened with sucralose that is pretty good imo....someone mentioned them here and I stopped and found them....and only $1!

Start weight on 4/1: 262.2
gungadinn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #139
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
You can get a "syrup" like davinci at dollar tree that is caramel sweetened with sucralose that is pretty good imo....someone mentioned them here and I stopped and found them....and only $1!
Wow, who knew? Thanks. Problem is there are no Dollar Trees close to us, Dollar Stores are much more prevalent in my neck of the woods. But I'll check it out at the Dollar Store when I'm there next, maybe they carry it too. And I think there's a Dollar Tree downtown that I pass every now and then---now I have a reason to stop in.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #140
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You might be able to sample the Torani and DaVinci brands if a local place uses them for sugar free drinks. At least you'd get an idea of what they taste like in a drink anyway.
Thanks reddarin. Interesting idea. However, I'm not very confident that most places are too interested in providing sugar free drinks. I've long been aware of and tasted Torani, not so much Da Vinci, but at least for Torani, it's no sugar free deal and don't even know if they have one.

I'm really interested in using DaVinci Sugar free syrups in baking recipes, as that's where I've most often read them used here in the recipe threads. Although I wouldn't mind if say, the caramel version tasted great in my coffee.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #141
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I like the EZ-Sweetz sucralose and the Stevita liquid stevia extract (clear). I have lots of other stuff in my cart, but nothing I couldn't live without. They do have very good prices and service. I've placed two good sized orders and both have arrived quickly and everything is packaged very carefully.
Good to know. What is it you like about the EZ-Sweetz sucralose--- second rec in this thread for this product---as opposed to other sweeteners?

I have also seen that Stevia liquid extract is not easy to come by in grocery stores.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #142
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
Quote:
Good to know. What is it you like about the EZ-Sweetz sucralose--- second rec in this thread for this product---as opposed to other sweeteners?

I have also seen that Stevia liquid extract is not easy to come by in grocery stores.
The EZ-Sweetz, being a liquid, has no bulking agents like malodextrin, plus it is highly concentrated. It comes in two formulas, for the one I bought one drop = 1 packet sweetener, 24 drops = 1 cup sugar. Very easy to use in recipes.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #143
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
The EZ-Sweetz, being a liquid, has no bulking agents like malodextrin, plus it is highly concentrated. It comes in two formulas, for the one I bought one drop = 1 packet sweetener, 24 drops = 1 cup sugar. Very easy to use in recipes.
That explains the benefit perfectly, so convenient. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for in looking for the best Low Carb products. Thanks Mistizoom
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #144
Girlieschmoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
SKINNY CRISPS (but I actually don't recommend buying them if you have even the slightest self-control issues...they are delicious and, although relatively low-carb (they are made with almond meal), the cinnamon one and chocolate brownie one are made with real sugar and not low-calorie). But having said that, I buy all of the flavors (cinnamon is my fave followed by chocolate brownie, cheese and toasty onion) and keep them stored in my garage freezer so I have to work harder to get to them. I crumble up the toasty onion and use it as a crunchy, tasty topping for baked fish...tastes very similar to onion soup mix without yucky stuff).

Also, all of my erythritol, Zsweet, and Just Like Sugar; sugar-free chocolate chips;coconut and hazelnut flours; MCT oil; few Big Train items; unsweetened cocoa powder; unsweeteneded coconut; oat fiber; etc..

Jay Robb unflavored whey protein; Whey Protein Crisps and Guy's BBQ Sauce.

I know there is more but I am blanking at the moment. I tend to only buy products that I use to make our food with (meaning not prepared or mixes, etc).

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 04-09-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #145
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I like the Flackers "crackers."

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #146
Love&Luck
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/147.5/140 5'4"
WOE: LC (under 30 net)
Start Date: yep
Certain things they have that I actually use alot I'm lucky enough to be able to get locally as needed (Guy's BBQ sauce, Flackers, Carba Nada pasta, Reduced Sugar Heinz for example). Other things I buy regularly are the Quest bars for DF and erythritol which while I can buy it locally it's much more expensive. I also get the liquid splenda and stevia from netrition.

I used the SF syrups, but usually only in greek yogurt and tea.

Agree with above - service and speed are exceptional for online ordering.

47 years old

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook” Julia Child
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #147
Knittering
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Yeah. And hello my fellow Minnesotans! Lovely out there, isn't it?

I buy snacks for my husband there -- he loves the popped cheese stuff with flavors like jalapeno. He also loves Linda Sue's peanut butter bars (made with almond butter, natch), so I buy Carbquik and polydextrose, too.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #148
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Knittering;16364633]Yeah. And hello my fellow Minnesotans! Lovely out there, isn't it?

OMG, an inch of SNOW this morning! Won't be the first time it's snowed in April but geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! What I hate is when we skip spring and go from cold to hot within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the product suggestions, knittering.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #149
Knittering
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
What I hate is when we skip spring and go from cold to hot within a couple of weeks.
Me too. Direct from heater to AC doesn't seem fair!
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #150
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Girlieschmoo;16364389]SKINNY CRISPS (but I actually don't recommend buying them if you have even the slightest self-control issues...they are delicious and, although relatively low-carb (they are made with almond meal), the cinnamon one and chocolate brownie one are made with real sugar and not low-calorie). But having said that, I buy all of the flavors (cinnamon is my fave followed by chocolate brownie, cheese and toasty onion) and keep them stored in my garage freezer so I have to work harder to get to them. I crumble up the toasty onion and use it as a crunchy, tasty topping for baked fish...tastes very similar to onion soup mix without yucky stuff).

Thanks Girlieschmoo. The Skinny crisps really appeal to me as I am always looking for that CRUNCH. And btw, according to the product descriptions, ALL
flavors are the same carb count, about 1/2 net carbs per cracker, which is pretty darn good. Is this a mistake on their part, and when you actually get the Brownie or cinnamon there's sugar in them? That would be not OK.