Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 260 Start/215 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-1-18 back again
Just diagnosed, what is your favorite eating plan to control it?

Just got diagnosed with Diabetes. A1C of 11. Starting on Metformin tomorrow. I am also planning on starting Atkins Induction tomorrow.

Obviously, I have a lot of work to do. What eating plans have you had success with in terms of keeping your A1C numbers in line?

Last edited by Big Stevie; 01-01-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
Keto helped me, but YMMV.

I started a restricted calorie version of Keto at the start of 2017 (<1200 calories, <20g net carb, >80g protein), when I was at 650 or so (at height of 6'5") and using a third of a vial of insulin daily. Results:

-- I've dropped 170 pounds so far (230 to go)
-- I haven't used insulin since
-- I no longer use Metformin
-- My average blood sugar dropped from 170 to under 100
-- My A1C dropped from 7.3 to 5.4
-- I'm not hungry all the time

For the last month, my nighttime BG has averaged about 93. But I have "dawn phenomenon", so it's usually up 10 to 15 points the next morning.
rharmelink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung has had stellar results. He is on YouTube as well and I encourage to read & Listen. His patients are turning that high AiC down to the 4's, off meds.

Dr. Bernstein is also a very well versed doctor for diabetes.

Well done Rharmelink. And yes the Dawn Phen is normal. Glad you are so versed on it and not panicked. You have done FANTASTIC. YEAH! I am not diabetic but I like to read. lol
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
gojiberry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gojiberry
Stats: 248/215/170
WOE: Basic Keto
Start Date: Late Sep. 2017
So, I'm not in any position to offer official advice of any sort, but I've been doing keto for about 3 months and dropped almost 30 pounds and brought my A1C from 7.2 to 5.1. With the exception of a handful of splurges during the holidays, I basically have focussed on only eating stuff from Atkin's induction list.

My morning BG reading is usually between 70-mid 90s. I can't quite determine what causes the higher ones, because I'm sometimes surprised.

I don't really worry too much about portion control, but I think I am eating less volume per meal than I did back when I first started. I wish I could say I never get that endless craving for food, but it's almost always the end result of trying to skip a meal by drinking an atkins shake or something (which I've learned results in nearly non-stop snacking).

One thing I think is key to my weight loss despite the fact that I'm probably still eating too much food is exercise. I do at least 6 or more hours of cardio each week.
gojiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharmelink View Post
Keto helped me, but YMMV.

I started a restricted calorie version of Keto at the start of 2017 (<1200 calories, <20g net carb, >80g protein), when I was at 650 or so (at height of 6'5") and using a third of a vial of insulin daily. Results:

-- I've dropped 170 pounds so far (230 to go)
-- I haven't used insulin since
-- I no longer use Metformin
-- My average blood sugar dropped from 170 to under 100
-- My A1C dropped from 7.3 to 5.4
-- I'm not hungry all the time

For the last month, my nighttime BG has averaged about 93. But I have "dawn phenomenon", so it's usually up 10 to 15 points the next morning.
Thanks for sharing. Your story gives me hope.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung has had stellar results. He is on YouTube as well and I encourage to read & Listen. His patients are turning that high AiC down to the 4's, off meds.

Dr. Bernstein is also a very well versed doctor for diabetes.

Well done Rharmelink. And yes the Dawn Phen is normal. Glad you are so versed on it and not panicked. You have done FANTASTIC. YEAH! I am not diabetic but I like to read. lol
I watched several of Dr. Fung's videos. They were great. Are you following his fasting regime? If so, can you tell me how you are doing it?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojiberry View Post
So, I'm not in any position to offer official advice of any sort, but I've been doing keto for about 3 months and dropped almost 30 pounds and brought my A1C from 7.2 to 5.1. With the exception of a handful of splurges during the holidays, I basically have focussed on only eating stuff from Atkin's induction list.

My morning BG reading is usually between 70-mid 90s. I can't quite determine what causes the higher ones, because I'm sometimes surprised.

I don't really worry too much about portion control, but I think I am eating less volume per meal than I did back when I first started. I wish I could say I never get that endless craving for food, but it's almost always the end result of trying to skip a meal by drinking an atkins shake or something (which I've learned results in nearly non-stop snacking).

One thing I think is key to my weight loss despite the fact that I'm probably still eating too much food is exercise. I do at least 6 or more hours of cardio each week.
Thanks for your advice. It looks like you are winning the A1C battle.

I was on Atkins for 6 years before being off the last 18 months. I can tell you that for me, Atkins shakes killed me. They made me spike sugar and made me stop losing. I can not drink them. Many others over the years (but not all) have reported the same. Sounds like you have the same issue. Avoid them.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

As for me, the Metformin has caused diarrhea for the past couple days. I hope it is just temporary. I am on my 4th day of Atkins Induction. The combination of the low carb flu and the Metformin have made for a rough week. I know it will get better.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Awww Steve. That's a drag. Well let us hope this passes very quick. And good for you for following Atkins. Tried and true.

So for me I like to mix it up. (Obesity Code) I started out doing 16:8 - and then I started tightening my window to 23:1 or 22:2 - and I loved that!! BUT I read Dr Fung said if we do one meal a day too often we can slow our metabolism down because too many days we wont get enough food in. So I mix it up. I just got back from a trip so I am not in ketosis. I should be by Sunday. Then I will fast maybe 23:1 or if my mind is right, I may do 46 hour with broth I make. Some days I can do 18:6 or 20:4 - whatever works. My goal right now is to fast often ( I really enjoy it) and eat keto/low carb 20 grams per daywhen I do eat. Also I Power walk daily if possible. Nothing crazy but just a enough to break a sweat and be very intentional.

Cheering u on!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #10
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Stevie. I am feeling better today. I actually tested my blood today and it was 148. I am happy with that after only being on Metformin for a few days.

Yes, I will start with Atkins and work it until I have a major stall. Once I do, I will start on the Dr. Fung fasting regime.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
gojiberry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gojiberry
Stats: 248/215/170
WOE: Basic Keto
Start Date: Late Sep. 2017
I had pretty bad diarrhea early on with the diet, but had been on metformin for over a year prior, so mine wasn't related to drugs. I assumed it was related to my gut having trouble with the severe change in what I was eating, but I also read that certain artificial sweeteners can cause that too...so who knows. Mine cleared up after a week or so.

The atkins stuff doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels. I've checked after a shake and my BG is well within my normal range. I think my problem is just that my body expects a certain amount of food and trying to skip a meal results in extra snacking. It will happen regardless what those snacks are (cheese, olives, atkins stuff, little bits of left overs that aren't enough to be a full meal, etc). So, I try to avoid doing that if I can.
gojiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojiberry View Post
I had pretty bad diarrhea early on with the diet, but had been on metformin for over a year prior, so mine wasn't related to drugs. I assumed it was related to my gut having trouble with the severe change in what I was eating,

You know what, I have be blaming it on Metformin but I have made a lot of changes this week. Maybe it is more of a cumulative change thing. My stomach felt a bit better today but my head was rough today. A little keto flu probably.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm one of the lucky ones who can take Metformin on an empty stomach and have no side effects. I've been on it for about 4 years for prediabetes.....normal fasting but A1c in high 5's. My A1c has bounced up and down between 5.5 and 5.9 during that time; last one was 5.7. Something interesting I found about myself is that if I really cut the carbs, my A1c is actually higher and so is my morning fasting number. Also, when I really cut the carbs I have a very difficult time keeping my weight above 100 lbs. I starting having issues with my fasting numbers creeping up to 100, so I started adding a carb snack as my last meal around 8 - 8:30PM, which keeps my morning numbers below 99. Last night I ate an Atkins bar at 8pm and my fasting number this morning was 91. I think the carbs in the bar kicks my pancreas into producing insulin to lower my morning numbers. Everyone is different.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
Vilya
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 248/244.8/240
WOE: Fung-ian fasting and lower carb (I am T2 diabetic)
Start Date: Every day is a new start
When I was diagnosed in 2011 (can't believe it's been that long!), my A1C was 12.1%. Eeeek! I got it down pretty quickly through staying under 20 carbs per day, plus Metformin. Plus walking.

Sadly, I wasn't able to stay that low on carbs for more than a few years, and I gained back the weight, and my A1C is back up very high. But I know that cutting carbs down very low worked great for me. I also fast from time to time, which I think helps a lot.
My journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=891121
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #15
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Big Stevie, hmmm. Do ya think so? That would be very likely! The keto flu.

Vilya, yes for sure. Dr Fung seems to be very savvy on this. Cheering you on to get that AiC down.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Staying on track. Started taking my second 500mg of Metformin two days ago. Everything seems to have settled in. I am not having bathroom issues anymore, thank God. Also I am past the carvings stage. I am doing Atkins induction and am eating only in a 6 hour window. It is working. My numbers have been down to 140. The lowest I have seen is 118. Not sure if that was an anomaly or not.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Workin' it Big Stevie! Awesome....onward and look forward to your success story.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Staying on track. Started taking my second 500mg of Metformin two days ago. Everything seems to have settled in. I am not having bathroom issues anymore, thank God. Also I am past the carvings stage. I am doing Atkins induction and am eating only in a 6 hour window. It is working. My numbers have been down to 140. The lowest I have seen is 118. Not sure if that was an anomaly or not.
As time goes on, you will see that blood sugar numbers show no rhyme or reason!

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #19
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
As time goes on, you will see that blood sugar numbers show no rhyme or reason!
This is so true! A few weeks ago for some unexplained reason my morning BS was higher than normal for several days, hovering around 100. Now it's down to 90 or 91, and I have a cold which would normally drive it up! I think it may be because I'm now eating an Atkins bar around 8pm and that seems to kick in my insulin response so my morning number is lower. It seems that if I eat too low carb, my numbers are higher. For now anyway.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #20
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
This is so true! A few weeks ago for some unexplained reason my morning BS was higher than normal for several days, hovering around 100. Now it's down to 90 or 91, and I have a cold which would normally drive it up! I think it may be because I'm now eating an Atkins bar around 8pm and that seems to kick in my insulin response so my morning number is lower. It seems that if I eat too low carb, my numbers are higher. For now anyway.
Ronnie, from all of your posts that I've read, I think you have a little bit different situation. I'm glad you are finding something that works. (the Atkins bar.) After 10 years of dealing with diabetes, I have still not figured out how to keep my fasting numbers low. Right now I'm working on no eating after dinner to see if that works, and I can't believe how hard that habit is to break.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Ronnie, from all of your posts that I've read, I think you have a little bit different situation. I'm glad you are finding something that works. (the Atkins bar.) After 10 years of dealing with diabetes, I have still not figured out how to keep my fasting numbers low. Right now I'm working on no eating after dinner to see if that works, and I can't believe how hard that habit is to break.
I hope you do find what works for you, Carol. Do you think you could drink a cup of hot tea at night without it affecting your morning blood sugar? That may satisfy your urge to eat after dinner. If you like hot chocolate, Swiss Miss makes a lite version with only 4g carbs (called Sensible Sweets). It's not as rich as regular cocoa and leaves a residue on the mug, but it does satisfy the hot chocolate taste.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Still rolling along. I am testing my BS. I have been averaging 140 the week as my fasting wake up. (I stared in the high 200's.) I have been on meds and on diet since 1/2 so 19 days. I am now taking 500mg of Metformin 2 times a day. I am walking 2 miles a day. I am down 17 pounds. Heading in the right directions. Thought my BG numbers would come down quicker.