Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #241
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
My turn to check in- my entire weekend ended up being off plan. Friday I actually did fine at the party with food, but I did NOT do fine with drinks. So I paid for it Saturday and ate carby carb carb. Sunday I was just so stinkin' tired because despite my oogy recovery Saturday, I didn't get much rest, and so I ate what was easy- which means nothing on plan. Anyway today I am intending a DD and back to LCHF. So far so good. This week is full of social engagements but I think I can navigate them- pushing them on to UDs or just sticking with soup and salad or something. I did get a surprise email from a friend from years ago who is in town visiting so that is nice.

Alcestis- sorry for your loss . I hope things take a turn for the better for you.

quietnite -congrats on a successful January!

Jhmart- hang in there- I am sure you will get to your goal soon! you are determined. Also -I have to agree with your husband on the weights- muscle burns calories, I bet you will see a difference soon with weight work.

pOrtia - as always your posts are so informative and thanks for the reminder! I can't believe you can do so many z-fasts. You are inspiring!

Hi to everyone else!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #242
Nanu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanu
Stats: 195/195/149, 5'8", 62 years old
WOE: LC & JUDD
Start Date: January 2018
Alcestis--so sorry for your loss. It really "hits" you, doesn't it? I think when our contemporaries start leaving us, our own mortality can no longer be ignored
Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #243
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmart View Post

Portia...I also feel weak when I try to exercise fasted. I thought I was the weird one because on the podcasts people talk about so much energy and growth hormone and love to exercise in a fasted state. Really? I get dizzy and I feel weak. I only do my Zumba half hearted on water fast days. Day one fast is fine for exercise but anything beyond that am weaker than usual and a little off. Glad its not just me on that one. I was really wondering.
Gosh, no. I think the unusual people are those who do _not_ feel drained or weakish when fasting for more than two or three days. Although reading your post made me think that maybe those of us who tolerate it so well are the ones who fast often and happily--so you keep reading about us, and not the majority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
My turn to check in- my entire weekend ended up being off plan. Friday I actually did fine at the party with food, but I did NOT do fine with drinks. So I paid for it Saturday and ate carby carb carb. Sunday I was just so stinkin' tired because despite my oogy recovery Saturday, I didn't get much rest, and so I ate what was easy- which means nothing on plan. Anyway today I am intending a DD and back to LCHF. So far so good. This week is full of social engagements but I think I can navigate them- pushing them on to UDs or just sticking with soup and salad or something. I did get a surprise email from a friend from years ago who is in town visiting so that is nice.
Hi phoe! nice to hear from you Hope you have a good DD today and a good week. Can you believe that it is almost February? I'm trying to plan for Feb and my sister's visit. I so want to stay in WLM but am well aware of the fact that the last few Febs have been pretty much eat-feasts. Well, I will try to break that pattern.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #244
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Inspiration. Just because it's soooo clever!

Old 01-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #245
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Over the weekend I was researching body composition, water retention in fat cells, and how the body uses its stored lipids. Ran across something I knew but was happy to be reminded of:

Because of the way the body uses lipids and replaces them with water--and whatever else is going on that we know little about, it can be many days and frequently weeks before a reduction in adipose tissue is actually reflected on a bathroom scale.

Looking a scale and short-term thinking such as "I didn't lose any fat mass even though I stuck to my diet for three days, because the scale didn't move" is just misguided.
I couldn't agree more with this and I know that we've had a fair few discussions around the JUDDD campfire about these phenomena.

In addition to the water acting as a 'placeholder' for the depleted fat cells, which might explain the whoosh and drops that some of us experience when they empty, there is also the intriguing research about the different amounts of hydration in our body fat (depending on overall body composition): Adipose tissue density, estimated adipose lipid fraction and whole body adiposity in male cadavers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8148928

Please treat the text below as a possible quotation that I didn't want to be italicised. I don't know if my previous discussions about this have been archived on LCF and I just have these quite random notes that I may well have drawn from other topics and sources (very careless of me not to have made better notes).

-------

The study results led to a formula to predict the proportion of lipids, water, and solids in adipose tissue for various body fat levels. For this cadaver study, the continuum of low to high body fat levels (17.8% to 43.9%), reported the lipid content in a pound of adipose tissue varied from 270g to 428g (54% to 85%).
The "average" pound of adipose tissue with a notional energy reserve of 3,500 calories co-occurred with 37.4% body fat percentage (grafting on a straight line function) in men. The calorie reserve represented by a pound of adipose tissue ranges from 2,432 at 17.8% BF to 3,852 at 43.9% BF, with the weight and percentage difference being made up of water (and open to interpretation as FFM in a DXA scan).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8148928

------

The above just adds to the complexity of using weighing scales as a proxy for what is happening to us when we choose as interesting an eating schedule as JUDDD.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #246
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
I'm having a 'duh' moment.
It feels like all month I have been battling my appetite...well, ever since I had to go back to work on the 8th.

And then tonight, as I'm wrestling an old suitcase out of a closet at 11pm, while DH is fast asleep....it kinda hit me. I haven't gone to sleep before 10pm since I arrived back from the USA. I haven't even had lights out before 11pm....
Combine that with the cold conditions at my work, and now I'm dealing with hormonal influence. Yah. It's time to take action. I need to get to bed earlier. I need to dress warmer at work. And for the next 4-5 days, I'll remember to cut myself a little bit of mental slack. Oy vey...
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #247
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Does anyone have any experience with getting a DEXA scan in the USA?

Last edited by p0rtia; 01-29-2018 at 03:40 PM..
p0rtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #248
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with getting a DEXA scan in the USA?
I've had 2, each one covered by insurance. Painless, takes less then 10 minutes, got results a couple days later - first one was a phone call from dr., second time a letter in the us mail ( different dr as my former one retired).
Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #249
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Leona!
Old 01-30-2018, 01:32 AM   #250
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Jan had a very affordable private DXA scan done for body composition in CA? In one of our threads I know that we discussed the different State laws that mean it has to be done by radiographers in some areas (so is hugely expensive) and other operators are acceptable elsewhere so they're ridiculously less money.

ETA: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hlight=Groupon

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-30-2018 at 01:40 AM..
Old 01-30-2018, 04:04 AM   #251
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Slow. I will check it out. I did bring up the subject with my doc this past summer of getting my BF% measured, but she said she was not aware of any way of getting it done in the area. This might be her error, or it might reflect the regulations in NY. I will find out!

Okay that took like four seconds. NY Medicare reimburses 100 percent for DEXA for women over 65. Which will be me next summer. A good start!

Last edited by p0rtia; 01-30-2018 at 04:06 AM..
p0rtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:11 AM   #252
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Okay that took like four seconds. NY Medicare reimburses 100 percent for DEXA for women over 65. Which will be me next summer. A good start!
DXA scanning covered by insurance might just cover the bone density rather than the proxy calculations for body composition? However, I have heard that some places will add this on for a modest fee for people who are obtaining the bone density check for osteoporosis, osteopenia etc.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 AM   #253
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

1. Okay that took like four seconds. NY Medicare reimburses 100 percent for DEXA for women over 65. Which will be me next summer. A good start!
  2. ________

Sorry, I should of mentioned this! I had my first one done at 65 - one of the advantages of getting old! Dr told me I had the bones of a younger woman!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #254
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
jhmart - You and your body are fighting over 4 lbs.?? I'd love to be fighting that instead of the ninety I need to lose and my body won't let go of.

I'm going to take my own advice and am going to keep posting here but doing 16/8. It seems to come more naturally for me. Ticks as many boxes as JUDDD does for me. Now let's see if any weight comes off. What a trick that would be!

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 AM   #255
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Another fun and easy veggie platter to close out a great month and a great challenge. So many of us took strength from each other here. It was a pleasure!

On to the Valentine's Day Challenge!
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #256
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

pOrtia does that mean you consider this challenge over? awww. I suppose we can just chat on the daily chat thread.

I am having a truly awful week. I got to such a state last night with the work stress that I ended up calling in sick today -not something I make a habit of doing when not actually physically sick. Mentally though, I really needed the break. I will still do work because I can't just not do it but I will at least be in my own environment and not being interrupted by people in my office every 30 minutes. Diet-wise it is not great because I eat my stress. I had a decent DD on Monday (a little high - 600cal but not so bad on a restart), my Tuesday was certainly an UD but it wasn't low carb. Obviously today I am trying the DD again and hoping it will stay LCHF. Interesting observations on myself over the weekend of carb eating made me realize how awful I can feel when I have too many. I feel less energy mentally and physically. Yeah I know this is certainly no startling revelation, not for myself nor for you all, but it was a reminder to myself.

Maybe its TMI here on a diet board but I have also decided to end a relationship which I am sure is also adding to my poor reaction to work stress. Maybe taking away at least one source of stress will ease up the other (after the usual sad adjustment time that is). I am also hoping this will result in a renewed sense of purpose to get back in better physical shape. I have a milestone birthday coming up in the summer and I would really like to mark it with feeling physically (and mentally of course) great. I think I'll pick a few of the local mountain peaks around here as goals to climb over the coming year- that will be something nice to work towards and something I really love to do.

I'll wrap up this venting post with a question to the LCHF/keto group- do you use MCT oil (liquid or powder) and do you feel it really has the effect the blogs claim it does? (as in appetite supression, energy and a mental boost due to fueling the brain).

Toodles for today my JBs. maybe I should call you guys my therapy
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #257
Nanu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nanu
Stats: 195/195/149, 5'8", 62 years old
WOE: LC & JUDD
Start Date: January 2018
Good morning. I'm sorry you are feeling stressed Phoenix, and sometimes it really helps to take that mental health day....it is HEALTH! I wish more companies would just give people PTO (personal time off) instead of sick and vacation...no feelings of guilt when you just need a break.
On the relationship front, it is always better (but not easier) to end something before time just makes it a habit, and you aren't involved because it betters both of your lives.
Hang in there, and do something just for you (non food). Get a massage, a pedicure, a long walk.
On the coconut oil, I have it in my coffee on UD. I don't know if it makes me feel more alert, but it sure does taste good
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #258
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Phoenix

Sorry to hear of your difficult days!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #259
jhmart
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhmart
Stats: 165/130/130 Goal 2-20-18
Start Date: 08/16/17
Ugh the sabotage. LOL My boss and his dinner party. So I have been really good about staying LC and eating mostly meats and raw veggies. Definitely in ketosis every day. I check the ketostix and they have been pink to purple all month. So my boss does a team building yesterday which was really sweet and really nice. I enjoyed it tremendously because we have people who work at different locations so I seldom see them. That was awesome. So here was the bad part. He had us over for dinner....again super nice and way above and beyond what he needed to do. His gf cooked for us and she is just a sweetheart. BUT she is a vegetarian and tiny (no fat on this lady). So she had asked us if there were any dietary restrictions and I very awkwardly had told her a week in advance that I was low carb so protein and veggies only. She says that's fine and she doesn't eat many carbs either. So we get there and everything she has made she claims is vegetarian...low carb...low fat...close to 0 calories. AND she serves us so its not like I could choose what I thought was truly LC. She even made dessert which she said was LC? I drew the line there and didn't touch dessert even though she put a plate in front of me. But this morning...ketosis gone and up another pound. I did not even eat very much but I knew there were carbs. I think the one dish was lentils and vegan cheese (0 carbs??? I think not). OK I just had to vent. The scale is going the wrong way and there was no way out of that fiasco. I am still amazed as to what people interpret as LC. And in this case by the result (ketosis gone) something had carbs. I am back to the grind sigh.

Thanks Phoenix. If I actually do some weight training LOL it will be great. I had that dinner last night so I will try to get to the gym today for some yuck weights.

Portia Not sure when I will give another fast a go. I am trying so hard to at least stabilize now and then craziness happens like last night and now I have another pound to take off.

Vanilla...thank you. I know I am really petty and need to stop. I am fighting these last few pounds and its maddening. BUT YES I am super grateful to be this close. Thanks for the reminder.
jhmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #260
kwerp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 153/128/124
Phoenix, I'm a firm believer that stress is a huge influencer on mental capacity to handle dieting. I'm stressing out a bit myself, so I know I need to reign in the stressors.

I do think there's a huge correlation between the amount of sleep I get and how well I stick to the plan. For now I'm focusing a LOT on getting to bed on time. I'll give it a month before making judgement...so I think I'm doing pretty well on that score. In the past, I'd freak out and change things up within a week.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #261
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Sistah phoe: I think we can safely say that we are out of the post-holiday period now. :-D So I think it's time to move on to another fun thread. I'm thinking Valentine's.

My Dsis arrived yesterday, so my focus is wandering, but I will think of something. In the meantime, we can perhaps wrap up our thoughts here for a while, take a deep breath, and continue.

Speaking of focus, something clicked in my brain reading the above posts this AM. Am I right in thinking I'm seeing difficulties with taking a long-range view of our various weight-management approaches? I sort of assume that people try to make commitments to long term WOEs, but do they? Which does not lessen in any way the incredible need to focus day to day, but it seems to me one needs both.

Perhaps that is way too obvious (I get wrapped up in my own plan and am constantly discovering the obvious ).

So what are people's plans for the year, now that the holidays are behind us? I mean, beyond "stick to plan". What is the plan?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:35 AM   #262
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShrinkingWoman
Stats: HW 207 197/170/157 H-5'10
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 1, 2017
Quote:

Speaking of focus, something clicked in my brain reading the above posts this AM. Am I right in thinking I'm seeing difficulties with taking a long-range view of our various weight-management approaches? I sort of assume that people try to make commitments to long term WOEs, but do they? Which does not lessen in any way the incredible need to focus day to day, but it seems to me one needs both.

So what are people's plans for the year, now that the holidays are behind us? I mean, beyond "stick to plan". What is the plan?
On focus I understand now more than I did before about taking the view of long term WOE. After regaining most of what I lost and now on the path to lose it again constantly in my mind is "What's the plan to keep it off this time?"

I know for myself that calories are the only way I can stick to weight loss and maintenance. I just don't feel good cutting out any certain food group. And by food group I mean real food not junk and processed stuff as I have cut them out ,but know also I can have them as long as they are in my calorie bank and it is something I am really wanting.

So the plan I have going right now is to find that calorie range that I am seeing a somewhat steady loss on, and once at goal finding that spot I can level out and maintain on. I am sure as time goes on it is going to have to be something I am vigilant on and willing to tweak and change as my body ages.

Well that's the plan anyway lol. I'm sure along the way emotions will be all over the place.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #263
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: Which time?
phoenix17 - Hopefully getting some stress out of your life will ease the other. I haven't used coconut oil (which I believe is kind of like MCT oil) in awhile but want to begin adding it to my bulletproof coffees again. It did help with appetite suppression. Energy and mental boost, not that I noticed for me.

jhmart - I hope I know the aggravation of a few pounds before I die. But I do know people talk about the vanity weight we can (we said figureatively in my case) want versus where our body wants to be. Within reason obviously because my body wants to be upwards of 90 lbs. where I want it to be! Dinners like those ... ugh.

p0rtia - My plan has gravitated back to 16/8 and 18/6 depending. These last few days it's been 18/6. Even though those schedules aren't technically JUDDD, they kind of can be because basically there's a long stretch of hours where I don't eat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals."
- Elisabeth Elliot

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #264
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Port!

Since it is Feb. and was thinking about a new CH - how about something to do with:

Heart Month - in my paper they are showing a lot of Red for women!!!

Today I am wearing a red top to start this month!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #265
Alcestis
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/147 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Phoenix I hear you on the work stress. I just got done with a big event = long hours, high stress, bad food choices. I took today off, and am focusing on the gym, catching up on a few chores, and planning my meals. Peaceful stuff that will get me back on the beam.

When I eat according to what my body wants, it tends to be OMAD. However, I know I'm in bad territory when my mind spins around, unable to stick to one way of eating ("JUDDD? OMAD? 16/8? Fasting for more than one day?") That's my red flag signalling me to slow down and calm down.

Leona, I guess my red flag is what I'm wearing today!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #266
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Alcestis- LOL on the red flag!

pOrtia valentines day is too close!! what about Easter? or SPRING! March 21st. But good point on the long term plan. I fully admit (many times) that I'm a sugar addict- pastry, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, cake - you name it. Except for candy funny enough... and these last several weeks of trying to stay LCHF have been interesting. I am actually not craving sugar nearly as much as I thought I would. I still do of course, but I thought it would be more difficult. anyway- for the short term I am sticking with LCHF JUDDD. for the long term I think it will be a slightly less strict version of the same. IF is good for me to maintain, even if it is 18:6 or just random occasional DDs as I found out from about September through December where my weight just bounced in the same 3-4 lbs after my initial re-gain. I need to keep playing around with my macro's to find what is good for me there. I was looking in to keto cookbooks and came across Leanne Vogels book about the keto diet and she was talking about several different kinds of keto meal plans with different macro's which was interesting. pOrtia I know you have already talked about this- playing around with amounts of fat and protein in particular until you find what works for you. what I'm thinking for long term is I have to find something that is sustainable and that has to include a higher level of carbs than my weight loss mode plan. She talks about doing a "carb up" on one plan, where you eat more carbs in the evening - not in the morning. I'm still reading so I won't keep going on about it but I suspect I will be experimenting with my carb grams to see what works. Right now I only know that long term will be some form of intermittent fasting and controlling sugar as much as I can.

Thanks JBs on the stress support. The one day away from the madness (even though I was still actually working at home) really helped, and I am also becoming more "at peace" with my other decision. I know that will take a few weeks adjusting though. finding a way to handle stress is really important.

Ok I've blathered on quite enough.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 AM   #267
ShrinkingWoman
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShrinkingWoman
Stats: HW 207 197/170/157 H-5'10
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 1, 2017
pOrtia hope all is well. Haven't seen a post from you in awhile? Hope everyone is doing well. All is good here except the constant wishing for spring to be here already.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:20 AM   #268
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all! Been crazy busy with my DSis in town. Garden garden garden, projects projects, projects! Had a nice cruise over the weekend / Superbowl party. DSis and I started back on JUDDD yesterday. I'm doing 4:3 LC and she's doing 5:2 maybe LC. Life is good!

phoe! A Spring Challenge it is! I love it. Will set it up when I get a sec. This is more or less of a fly-by as I work my way through the morning's To Do List. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #269
Kissa
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Glad you are having fun p0rtia.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #270
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

So good to read that you and DSis are enjoying each other's company.