Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #211
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GloFry1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I'm sorry I don't know about using fresh egg whites v. egg white powder. I have a huge huge can from Honeyville that I may have to put in my will. And I use it a lot!
I bet someone else will be able to help regarding real egg whites.

This is what I did in place of the vital wheat gluten, on someone else's suggestion:
replace 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten with 1/4 cup coconut flour + 1/2 tsp. glucomannan.
And those waffles are fantastic - you'll love them.

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much. I guess I'll just order the egg white powder.

Perfect. I have coconut flour and am ordering the glucomannan. You're the best.
GloFry1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #212
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm allergic to powdered egg whites and most proetin powders. So I use real organic egg whites and organic plant protein powder.

When I use real egg white I put the egg in a measuring cup then add the liquids to the same cup.I don't always use it all.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #213
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Here is a link to the original Fantastic Flour Mix Thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

Please only post written recipes in this thread. Post ideas and suggestions to the original thread and I will add them all here in one post. This will make it easier to find the recipes and ideas. Thanks!!

A Fantastic Flour Mix-ouizoid

Basic flour mixture

2 Tbs Oatfiber
2 Tbs coconut flour (60)
1 Tbs vanilla protein powder (30)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder (22)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
1 Tbs erythritol (optional)
spices (optional--but is great with pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon)

To this I add a mixture of davinci SF syrup and water or almond milk. My mixture is about 1/2 cup to start, but because of the coconut flour, more liquid may be necessary. Experiment with it.

Fantastic Flour Mix X 3

3/8 cup Oat Fiber
3/8 cup Coconut Flour
3 tablespoons Protein Powder
3 tablespoons Egg White Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 6

3/4 cup oat fiber
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. protein powder
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. egg white powder
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. glucomannan powder

Fantastic Flour Mix X 9

1 cup + 2 tbsp oat fiber
1 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp protein powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp egg white powder
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp glucommanan

Fantastic Flour Mix X 12

1 1/2 cups oat fiber
1 1/2 cups coconut flour
3/4 cup protein powder
3/4 cups egg white powder
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp glucommanan
Hi Ginaaaaaa. I'm new to this way of baking and I was wondering how I would have to adjust the BTF recipe if I didn't use the egg white powder. Everything that I've looked at is so expensive that I thought if I could use fresh egg whites I could afford to make so many more things. Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #214
watcher513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: watcher513
Netrition carries the Now Egg White Protein Powder, unflavored, in a 1.2 lb. tub. It's the least expensive I've found so far lately at 20.99.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #215
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
GloFry I don't know whether Ginaaaaa has been very active lately on LCF, but check Esther's reply above your question.
She does use fresh egg whites, as she is allergic to powdered egg whites.
Just use those as part of the liquid to whatever application you have.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #216
GloFry1
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
GloFry I don't know whether Ginaaaaa has been very active lately on LCF, but check Esther's reply above your question.
She does use fresh egg whites, as she is allergic to powdered egg whites.
Just use those as part of the liquid to whatever application you have.
Thank you so much, Judy and Esther. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. Will let you know how my recipe turns out.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #217
rosethorns
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I also use organic oat fiber from Netrition.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #218
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
by the way--for all those who are also experimenting with vitafiber, I have found that the combination of this mix plus vitafiber, plus whatever liquids you use makes for an even moister finished product. Love, your friendly neighborhood experimenter
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #219
ncredbird
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
How much VitaFiber are you adding to the mix?
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #220
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

for 1/4 cup of the mix, I have been adding maybe about 3 TBS vitafiber and about the same of davinci's, and maybe a little squirt of liquid eggwhites. mix together and then sprinkle with lilys sf chocolate chips, and then nuke for 1.5 minutes on high. I am not the best on measurements as I tend to eyeball everything.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #221
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TX Tiger
Stats: 295/209/215 - 5'11.5"
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Feb 2015
I have tried 4 times and 3 of them I would characterize as a failure.

First I went with a chocolate cake using 1T CF, 1T AF, chocolate whey (designer whey), 1T cocoa powder. Sweetened with swerve and divinity unflavored syrup. Turned out dense and dry. I hate coconut and didn't like the taste in this either.

Next I tried Diane's original biscuit recipe using all AF and unflavored whey (designer whey). Looked somewhat promising out of the microwave but after toasting they became VERY dry. After butter and SF jelly I ate most of it but it was hard to get down.

Next I tried the biscuits again this not cooking it as long. The results were slightly better but not enough to try again.

Finally I tried it for breading for fried chicken tenders. It worked quite well for that.

I'm going to try a couple more times - maybe the ones that don't use the microwave will turn out better. Just not sure if my results are due to over cooking, not using enough liquid, my ingredients (all of which are less than 1 month old - I'm using lifesource oat fiber, honeyville AF, designer whey, now egg whites, and now gluc) or what but I had such high hopes.

Last edited by TX Tiger; 07-11-2015 at 05:22 PM..
TX Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #222
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Tiger, I used to make "little cakes" with this all the time. I probably will again now that you've reminded me.

Your end product will be more moist in your biscuit recipe and/or toasting, if you add more liquid before cooking.

You've also reminded me about using it as a breading - it's excellent as a breading. I tried using it once as the breading for chicken fried steak. HUGE hit.

It's possible you might be over-cooking, but try again using a little more liquid?
Best of luck. I have loved this. But I am also very forgiving of imperfections when not using wheat flour. I am just so glad to have "something" that's "close enough" and sometimes it is excellent.
I promise not to use so many quotation marks next time.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #223
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

Yeah I read this thread plus all 71 pages of the original one and know lots of people seem to have gotten good results. I am hopeful that maybe making a couple tweaks will yield success.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #224
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

I think I've finally cracked the code on this and have found success. Made biscuits in the oven (I used a muffin top pan which worked great). Also made cupcakes with Ginaaaaa's yellow cake. Both turned out really good.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #225
watcher513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: watcher513
TX Tiger, was it a lack of more moisture? The toughest part for me was getting dry/wet ingredients ratio right. It's definitely a give and take at first. I usually make up a 12x mix instead of making each thing each time.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 AM   #226
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
TX Tiger, was it a lack of more moisture? The toughest part for me was getting dry/wet ingredients ratio right. It's definitely a give and take at first. I usually make up a 12x mix instead of making each thing each time.
My guess is the cooking time. I was using the microwave now it's the oven. The oven is just much more forgiving - 15 extra seconds isn't going to cause a fail. I still haven't had MW success but I haven't tried it again either.

I too made up a larger batch. I did a 6x batch of almond flour and a 2x batch of coconut and mixed them together. I don't like the taste of coconut but believe it is a benefit in this even if only in small amounts. It does mean I have to tweak the wet ingredient volumes (the yellow cake was all coconut as I made them for someone allergic to tree nuts).
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #227
TX Tiger
Junior LCF Member

I found a biscuit recipe using cream cheese and flour. I had never heard of using cream cheese in biscuits but thought what the heck and gave it a go. I used BTF/FFM instead of the flour and it turned out fantastic. It browned up well and the crumb was very good. The only negatives for me are the calorie count is relatively high and they don't rise as much as I'd like them to. I'd post a picture but haven't been able to make it work.

Southern-ish (Cream Cheese) Biscuits
Makes 12

8oz Cream Cheese
3/4 cup Butter
1-1/2 cup BTF (mine is a mix of almond & coconut flours)
2 tsp baking powder (in addition to what is in BTF)
1/3 tsp salt

Cream the cream cream cheese and butter. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. My dough was pretty sticky. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 (or more) hour.

Preheat oven to 425. Roll dough to 1/2 to 1 inch thick. I found it was easier to roll it between the plastic wrap. Bake 10-12 minutes.

The cooked or uncooked biscuits may be frozen. I like freezing the dough because it allows me to make a single hot biscuit whenever I want it - also allows for portion control.

I haven't tried it but think you could cut back on the butter (and perhaps the cream cheese) to save some calories. Sorry - I don't have the nutrition info.

Last edited by TX Tiger; 07-26-2015 at 08:48 AM..
Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #228
smasty
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smasty
WOE: NK
Martha Stewart Crackers

Here's a cracker recipe from "Martha Stewart Baking" adapted to LC. These come out perfectly browned, and tender but crisp. Perfect for a spread of cream cheese dip or even just butter.
Ingredients:
2.75 cups baking mix
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 c erythritol crystals
2 sticks butter cut into pieces
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1 egg
toppings...course salt and caraway seeds or I used chili flakes.
Directions:
In bowl of mixer put flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and mix to combine. Add butter one piece at a time, beating until the mixture resembles course meal. Add the mascarpone, and beat until soft dough forms. Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic, flattening into a square. Put in fridge for at least 1 hour.
Roll dough between plastic or parchment until 1/8" thin, then cut into triangles or shapes. Stack between parchment and freeze for at least 25 min. Heat oven to 350. Use egg wash and sprinkle on toppings, bake rotating trays every 5 min until golden brown. It's ok to pull out the browned ones and put tray back in. Enjoy!
Sue
smasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #229
Luv2loose
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
Carb Count?

I just went through these fantastic recipes, they look so good!. But I don't see any carb count for any of them. Then I see Ginaaa's WOE is High carb low fat. Are all of these high in carbs. Sorry, I'm new so I'm just getting to know all the forums and threads. Oh, is there a substitute for the glucomannan powder?
Thank you, Diane
Luv2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #230
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

these are not high in carbs. The mix itself is low in carbs, so you just count carbs for anything you add to it.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #231
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
I just went through these fantastic recipes, they look so good!. But I don't see any carb count for any of them. Then I see Ginaaa's WOE is High carb low fat. Are all of these high in carbs. Sorry, I'm new so I'm just getting to know all the forums and threads. Oh, is there a substitute for the glucomannan powder?
Thank you, Diane
You can buy the glucomannan capsules at Walmart or just about any drugstore and they are not a bad price for starting out. I still use the capsules because I use so few recipes with that in it. Just empty them out into a measuring spoon until you get the amount you need...toss the capsules.

I have not heard of a substitute for glucomannan powder yet.

As ouizoid said, the recipes on this forum are mainly low carb...some people are on maintenance so there will be hgher carb ones around.

There are some online programs or software programs you can get to figure out the carb count for you. I suggest they are worth the investment (maybe some are free?).

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Nigel; 10-21-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #232
Luv2loose
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
Thank you ouizoid and Nigel. I'll go back and copy/print some recipes now. My kitchen looks like a bakery with all the ingredients, utensils and equipment around.
Luv2loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #233
nikkic
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkic
Stats: 289/251/170
WOE: lc/mod carb
Start Date: restarted Jan. 2016
Powdered egg white question.

Has anyone tried using whole powdered egg rather than egg white?
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #234
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Fantastic Flour, RS, and THM clones

Was really glad to find this new flour sub, especially since it is gluten-free. Have found that the less gluten I eat, the better. I've gotten rid of all my WPI recipes.

Since I'm not fond of the coconut flour taste in savory applications, i've cut it in half or more, subbing in resistant corn starch. Works well but you have to pay attention to amount of liquid. I start with a lesser amount and then add more as necessary.

Have also found other flour subs on the internet, including clones of Trim Healthy Mama's. Check Pinterest for links to recipes. I have mixed the original FF mix with a clone of THM and had good results.

I'm still experimenting with these new (to me) combos. Many thanks to all of you who have posted your results. I look forward to viewing more.
RexsreineSC is online now   Reply With Quote