Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Cuisinart food processors

I have one of the very old Cuisinart food processors...the original DLC 7 that had the lid with the small oval feed tube, no expanding sleeve, and disks with permanently attached straight stems. I later bought the upgrade kit for it that included the new workbowl/lid with the large feed tube, the expanding sleeve and the bent removeable disk stems. I also have a bazillion disks for it.

I also have the juicer attachment and the pasta attachment for the processor. It was in daily use until two years ago, when I bought a small DLC10 for daily use to save wear and tear on the old unit to preserve it for things the small one cannot do. Then came the blade recall....and the blade for the new one was recalled, along with the original blade for the DLC 7. Thank goodness the blade that came with the upgrade kit was not riveted and was not recalled, but the old unit was back in daily use until I finally got the new blade for the new unit this week.

I also have the Cuisinart mini with the 2 cup bowl that I use for chopping nuts and other small jobs.

They just don't make things like this any more. That DLC 7 is more than 30 years old and has been in almost daily use all that time and still works perfectly.

A friend is wanting to buy a new food processor, and I am not sure to tell her what to buy. The new Cuisinart DLC 10 is really not the same quality as my old one. Is there another brand one of you could recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bracelet
Stats: 221/205/145
WOE: WW/SmartPoints
Start Date: Oct. 2, 2017
When I want to know which one of a certain product is best, I look for online reviews. I don't look at the website of the company who manufactures the item because they will always claim their product is best. Places like Amazon, eBay, Walmart and other sites, have product reviews made by people who purchased the item. If there are a lot of reviews, I always read a couple that give the product a high rating and all or most of the reviews that give it a low rating. That way you will know all the faults of that item.
Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
I have an old cuisinart too and used it so much something sharp started sticking out of the button to turn it on. I put tape over it. I never did have the disks for it just the S blade. It still works but I ended up buying a different food processor for the disks. Wow is this so light that they had to make suction cups on the bottom to keep it in one place when using.

I won't get rid of my cuisinart but it is stored away for now. I have had this one for years. We shall see how long this new one lasts. Probably no long
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I too had the old one and used it for over 30 years. Finally it had it and
we bought a new Cuisinart. I didn't like it at all. Not nearly the quality.
So we took it back. Would not tell anyone to purchase the new ones for 2017.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
I too had the old one and used it for over 30 years. Finally it had it and
we bought a new Cuisinart. I didn't like it at all. Not nearly the quality.
So we took it back. Would not tell anyone to purchase the new ones for 2017.
Glad I didn't spend the money then.
Anita's Web Page
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I have cuisine art wide shoot food processor and am disappointed for sure. Works fine for doughs and such, but for slicing shredding etc it is worthless as it is. Their safety measures mean you can't put anything in the shoot that is more than an inch or two tall. I might as well slice with a knife. I cut off the safety pin and permanently leave it in the hole. Which means the machine will run without the pusher in the shoot so care must be taken, however, I can have carrots or zucchini full length in the shoot and slice or shred. As far as what brand might be better, I'd check out how they set up being able to shred or slice without having to totally defeat the safety measure before getting anything.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

I got for Christmas a Hamilton Beach 14 cup food processor. It is so light it has to have suction cups on the bottom to keep it steady. So far it works great and I use it often. The slicer does a pretty decent job. It was $55 vs $200 for the Cuisinart. I kept my old cuisinart in case this one breaks
Anita's Web Page
Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
dianafoot
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I had a Braun workhorse that I inherited when my mother died in 1982, for more than 32 years. Finally when the stem that housed the various shredding blades cracked and that part was nowhere to be found and could not be replaced any more, I foolishly bought an expensive "state of the art" Cuisinart. This machine doesn't do half of the things my old Braun would do, from shredding and slicing very thin, to whisking egg whites and whipped cream. And it only has one speed. It won't make super fine nut powders and it doesn't have a good "vortex" to make purees blend evenly. And the worst thing is that the bowl which claims a 2 quart capacity, will not handle any liquid (batter) ingredients that come up over the center support--which is about 3 cups high--without leaking all over the counter. Who tested this product before sending it out on the market? And does anybody know of a better product?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
pinemeadows
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinemeadows
I would never buy another Cuisinart. I have one that is decades old and quite heavy, but I could see where the plastic parts were ready to break (stress cracks), so I bought a new one from Amazon. It came with a dicing kit and a smaller bowl. That thing is one big light-weight piece of junk. I wish I had returned it - too late now. I absolutely hate everything about it. Words just fail me.
pinemeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/179/140
WOE: Lower Carb/ IF
I my Cuisinart! I have a DLC9 and would say that I use it almost daily. I have all the discs but mostly just use the medium disc to shred cabbage and cheese etc and the S blade to chop veggies, meats and eggs. I don't use the dough too much any more but it worked great when I used it. I think Cuisinart is a fabulous brand!
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy1 View Post
I my Cuisinart! I have a DLC9 and would say that I use it almost daily. I have all the discs but mostly just use the medium disc to shred cabbage and cheese etc and the S blade to chop veggies, meats and eggs. I don't use the dough too much any more but it worked great when I used it. I think Cuisinart is a fabulous brand!
Is this the new one or the old one?
Anita's Web Page
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/179/140
WOE: Lower Carb/ IF
It's the DLC9, Prep9. I believe it came out in 2009 so I guess you could say it's old. I have had mine for about 5 years. I think it is still available on line..... It is a smaller food processor and only holds 9 cups but it certainly is sufficient for my needs.
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
I grabbed a "Cuisinart - Velocity Ultra Trio 56-Oz. Blender/Food Processor - Gunmetal" from bestbuy a couple of months ago as a deal-of-the-day for $99.
Mine was similar, but it was hard to find parts for (broke the lid, lost the shoot cover, etc) so I went with this because it was as close as I could get to "old faithful".
It has more power, works great! The only thing I don't care for is the blender jar is plastic. My old one was glass.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote