Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Buns from Kevin's flour mix

Made rolls from Kevins flour mix. I decided not to change the WPI 5000 and see if it worked. It seemed to work really well just as it was written. I got them just a little bit too brown. Forgot to set the timer. I've never posted a picture before. Hope this works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0907.jpg (30.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.jpg (39.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0906.jpg (33.8 KB, 7 views)
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, those are gorgeous! Good job!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SunnyKsGirl
Stats: 155/149/134 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2016
Yes, I am also using his original recipe re: the WPI500, and getting good results. It's so nice to have this "fiesty" LC bread dough! Meaning one that rises well, and has a normal bread texture.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

"It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~"

Char, your signature really speaks to me, as I currently am working on breaking some long time bad habits...to stay in a bad rut IS much easier, than working hard for real change
Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
SunnyKsGirl
Senior LCF Member

Char, oh how funny! I looked up Ondine on Rotten Tomatoes, and then put a hold on it at the library...currently DH & I are really enjoying The Lobster (extremely quirky!), and we were thinking we'd like to see what else Colin Farrell has been in.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
judytab
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Made rolls from Kevins flour mix. I decided not to change the WPI 5000 and see if it worked. It seemed to work really well just as it was written. I got them just a little bit too brown. Forgot to set the timer. I've never posted a picture before. Hope this works.
Which of his recipes did you use...the Carbquik one or the Carbalose one? I have made the Carbalose pita recipe for bread in the past and liked it.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKsGirl View Post
"It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~"

Char, your signature really speaks to me, as I currently am working on breaking some long time bad habits...to stay in a bad rut IS much easier, than working hard for real change

Char, oh how funny! I looked up Ondine on Rotten Tomatoes, and then put a hold on it at the library...currently DH & I are really enjoying The Lobster (extremely quirky!), and we were thinking we'd like to see what else Colin Farrell has been in.
Hey Sunny! I loved that quote the moment I heard it. That's a very interesting little movie - even DH enjoyed it. I hope you like it too!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #8
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

I used the carbalose version of Kevin's mix. It is the one on the last page of his breads thread. I basically use the bread recipe there but add 1/2 c additional almond flour to it. I like the way it keeps the bread a little less spongy. It still rises for me fine and I am so happy to get to eat real bread on this perfect way of eating.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
Oh my gosh, those look fabulous! I must try that recipe! Thanks for sharing
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
susieqrn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susieqrn
Stats: 221/181/130
WOE: moderate low carb JUDD
Start Date: January 2016
cselzler - is it the loaf bread recipe from the Bread, biscuit, bun & roll thread?
susieqrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

It's my own adaptation of it.
2 1/2 cup Kevin's flour mix
2 t. Honey
1 rounded Tablespoons yeast (I don't scrape off the spoon to level it )
1 egg
1/4 c. Butter
1/2 c. Almond flour
1/4 t. Salt
1 to 1 1/2 c. Warm water
I mix it in my KA mixer. Take 1/2 cup warm water and mix it with the honey and the yeast. Let it proof till foamy. Put all dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir. Lightly beat egg and mix with melted and cooled butter. Star mixer running with dough hook attached. Pour in the yeast mixture then egg mixture. Allow liquids to begin blending into dry ingredients. Add additional water till a dough has formed. How much depends on dryness of flours. The buns I made took 1 1/4 cup all together. But there have been batches that took the entire 1 1/2 cups. I also added a few drops Splenda to sweeten them a bit. I kneaded this dough for about 5 to 8 minutes. I let it rest for a few minutes then formed it into 14 rolls, put them a little ways apart on the double layered cookie sheet I have, which had parchment on it. I put the sheet in my proofing box with boiling water in 6 -1/2 pint canning jars underneath the sheet. Let them rise around an hour and a half. They need to double in size before baking. Then put them in the 350 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. I forgot to set the timer so these baked around 16 minutes.

Last edited by cselzler; 04-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add water
Old 04-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #12
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

I also used glucomannan in the flour mix in place of the thickener. It seems to work very well for the replacement. The rolls came out with that quality of texture like the French bread from Walmart. I used to be a baker there. I tried to find a way to put that quality in my home baked breads before. Maybe gluc is it.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Went to make these again and realized I wrote the ingredients wrong. The ingredients should say 1/4 c additional almond flour. So sorry. I guess I'm getting old. It should be ...

2 1/2 cup Kevin's flour mix
2 t. Honey
1 rounded Tablespoons yeast (I don't scrape off the spoon to level it )
1 egg
1/4 c. Butter
1/4 c. Almond flour
1/4 t. Salt
1 to 1 1/2 c. Warm water
I mix it in my KA mixer. Take 1/2 cup warm water and mix it with the honey and the yeast. Let it proof till foamy. Put all dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir. Lightly beat egg and mix with melted and cooled butter. Star mixer running with dough hook attached. Pour in the yeast mixture then egg mixture. Allow liquids to begin blending into dry ingredients. Add additional water till a dough has formed. How much depends on dryness of flours. The buns I made took 1 1/4 cup all together. But there have been batches that took the entire 1 1/2 cups. I also added a few drops Splenda to sweeten them a bit. I kneaded this dough for about 5 to 8 minutes. I let it rest for a few minutes then formed it into 14 rolls, put them a little ways apart on the double layered cookie sheet I have, which had parchment on it. I put the sheet in my proofing box with boiling water in 6 -1/2 pint canning jars underneath the sheet. Let them rise around an hour and a half. They need to double in size before baking. Then put them in the 350 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. I forgot to set the timer so these baked around 16 minutes.

Last edited by cselzler; 04-08-2017 at 12:19 PM..