Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #31
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 207/198.2 /goal 150
WOE: Protein Power, mostly
Start Date: January/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
I tried making this and mine didn't rise nearly like hers either. I don't have Saf yeast and cringe thinking of buying another special ingredient. the taste was good though. can someone tell me the differences with the yeast??
I got the saf on-line, but I don't know if it really matters what kind. Did you use the 4.5"x8.5" pan, did you put the boiling water pan below the dough in the oven for it to rise, did you have all ingredients at room temp. If at 60 minutes it hasn't doubled then do 90, sometimes it will take 2 hours depending on where you live. I put all instructions below the recipe, so no one would make my mistakes.
Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #32
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I finally got around to making this bread. I made it in my old bread machine. I didn't get much of a rise- I used Saf yeast. But I've had it for a few months so maybe I need fresh yeast?? I doubt I can get 17 slices out of mine. Maybe 10 or 12. Having said all that, this is good bread and I plan to make it again. Hopefully I will get a better rise next time. I toasted 2 slices and had it with sugar free grape jelly for breakfast.
I think I might tweak it a bit and lower the Vital wheat gluten and add some Einkorn Flour. The bread is good as is though. I just like to experiment
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #33
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

The bread tastes even better now than it did when I just took it out of the breadmaker this morning. Just got home from a long 12 hr shift and I had bread and butter for dinner and it was oh so good. LOL! - I'm wondering if I can tweak this to make a copycat of Longhorn Steakhouse's Honey Whole Wheat Bread. Will have to order some fake honey to experiment further. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #34
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
SAF yeast is just another brand of yeast, that's all. I purchased mine at Costco. I watched both videos, bread machine and mixer............why the difference in the sizes? I wish that she had cut the bread done w/ the mixer.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #35
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

I made another bread last night. I tweaked it to make a "honey whole wheat bread". I added more sweetener, a tad bit more butter and subbed 1/2 cup of the VWG for 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Einkorn Flour. So this one had a bit more carbs due to the Einkorn Flour but man is this bread good! - It also rose a bit more this time. Either way is good, but if you can afford a bit more carbs, the addition of the Einkorn flour is amazing.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #36
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, I meant 1/4 cup of Einkorn Flour!! Not 1/2 cup
Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #37
JJJ'sMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JJJ'sMom
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Good info Tulips. Tulips, keep your yeast in the fridge in a jar, will last forever. I buy the lg pkgs at Costco and what I have now is over 2 yrs old, I actually have it at the bk of the fridge where things can freeze at times.
JJJ'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #38
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I made another bread last night. I tweaked it to make a "honey whole wheat bread". I added more sweetener, a tad bit more butter and subbed 1/2 cup of the VWG for 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Einkorn Flour. So this one had a bit more carbs due to the Einkorn Flour but man is this bread good! - It also rose a bit more this time. Either way is good, but if you can afford a bit more carbs, the addition of the Einkorn flour is amazing.
Oooooh! I'm addicted to whole wheat einkorn, it has such awesome flavor with great carb/nutritional profile! I want to make this so bad but it takes me SO long to get through a loaf of bread. Once I finish my current loaf, I will try your honey wheat version.

How well do you tolerate maltitol? Because there are some really good reduced carb honey recipes out there that use a combo of sugar free honey (maltitol or xylitol), real honey, and then the sweetener of your choice (eryth, xylitol, etc).
The maltitol honey is better than the xylitol honey and sold at Walmart.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #39
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ'sMom View Post
Tulips, keep your yeast in the fridge in a jar, will last forever. I buy the lg pkgs at Costco and what I have now is over 2 yrs old, I actually have it at the bk of the fridge where things can freeze at times.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to buy some new yeast this week and put it in the freezer.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #40
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
Oooooh! I'm addicted to whole wheat einkorn, it has such awesome flavor with great carb/nutritional profile! I want to make this so bad but it takes me SO long to get through a loaf of bread. Once I finish my current loaf, I will try your honey wheat version.

How well do you tolerate maltitol? Because there are some really good reduced carb honey recipes out there that use a combo of sugar free honey (maltitol or xylitol), real honey, and then the sweetener of your choice (eryth, xylitol, etc).
The maltitol honey is better than the xylitol honey and sold at Walmart.
I can tolerate it if I don't go overboard with it. I use the Joseph's Pancake Syrup made with malitol and Smuckers caramel syrup with malitol so I will definitely look for malitol honey. I wonder if I can stretch the malitol honey with Vitafiber? I wouldn't want the Vitafiber to change the texture of the bread though. The texture is perfect.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #41
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

So Buttoni and Birgit both have sugar free honey recipes that I draw from. I basically gave up the erythritol in the recipes and use vitafiber syrup now. So maltitol or xylitol honey, raw honey and vitafiber syrup is my combo.

If I can get my hands on some of that honey flavoring, it would seriously be a game changer.

Truvia also makes some kind of honey sub, but it's expensive for what you get, and also higher in carbs than most people here would go for (even me, and I'm on a moderate carb diet).
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #42
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLit View Post
So Buttoni and Birgit both have sugar free honey recipes that I draw from. I basically gave up the erythritol in the recipes and use vitafiber syrup now. So maltitol or xylitol honey, raw honey and vitafiber syrup is my combo.

If I can get my hands on some of that honey flavoring, it would seriously be a game changer.

Truvia also makes some kind of honey sub, but it's expensive for what you get, and also higher in carbs than most people here would go for (even me, and I'm on a moderate carb diet).
Thanks, I will check out Buttoni and Birgit's site. Walmart no longer carries the Malitol honey. Saw some on the Big A site but they were selling them by the dozen. I don't need that much. I bought some Xylitol honey at Sprouts. I like the taste, but it doesn't taste like honey to me. I might add 1 TBS of real honey to the bottle to try to improve the honey taste.

I can't say enough about this bread. It is sooo sooo good. My search for really good LC bread is over. Now I'm thinking about investing in a brand new breadmaker

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-06-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #43
Redeemed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: 1400 calories a day/carb cycling
Very good bread! I have a question. How soon after the bread comes out of the oven do you take it out of the bread pan? I followed all of your steps and suggestions; except, I forgot to put the plastic over the loaf when it was rising. It still turned out nice. I didn't get the rise that the lady in the video got, but about the rise of a regular loaf of store bought bread. I think I will need an electric knife next time to make cutting easier.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #44
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Very good bread! I have a question. How soon after the bread comes out of the oven do you take it out of the bread pan? I followed all of your steps and suggestions; except, I forgot to put the plastic over the loaf when it was rising. It still turned out nice. I didn't get the rise that the lady in the video got, but about the rise of a regular loaf of store bought bread. I think I will need an electric knife next time to make cutting easier.
Was your loaf pan small enough 4.5x8.5, that makes a big difference in the rise. Did you use my tip about putting a small sauce pan of boiling water under the loaf for a better rise. It can take anywhere from 60 minutes to 2 hours to double in size.

after baked, I pull the oven rack forward and let bread sit on rack for about 3 minutes. Then flip bread out of pan and onto a cooling rack, but put that on oven rack that is slide out. I think the heat coming from the oven helps it not fall/sink so easy. It will still sink a little. I asked Diedra who is the maker of this recipe, and she said even her's sinks a little after baking because of no gluten. I have also never gotten a rise as high as hers. But with all my tips
, my loaves are pretty close now.
Debbie....

Edit, I aways use and electric knife to slice my bread

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-14-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/120 (menopause stinks)
Start Date: April 2004
I have yeast that I bought at Kroger. Pretty sure it isn't SAF would it work? Also I just hate the squishiness of flax but I also hate it when people ask can I sub this or that. So I will get some. I miss bread

I have all the other ingredients
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #46
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

I made another loaf today, made a mistake but I think the mistake lead to my highest rise. Sorry I don't have pics. I made it in the breadmaker over night and cut it this morning for a sandwhich for work at 6 am this morning so didn't have time to take pics.

Anyhoo, I was being lazy and measuring out the yeast over the breadmaker and I spilled some out of the container in addition to the 1 TBS I had measured out. I would guess it ended up being 1.5 TBS. I don't know if the extra yeast lead to the higher rise Or maybe I am just getting better at making it. LOL, I've made it 4 times now. This last loaf was almost twice as high as the first loaf that did not rise much.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-17-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #47
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2loose View Post
Tater, I'm looking for a good Rye Bread recipe....can I turn this into rye???
Not the same recipe, but this is a 3 carb per slice dark rye

(I have shown the WPI and Carbquik in grams because I have found it is difficult to get consistent measurements with measuring cups.)

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 8000 (33g)
2 cups Carbquik (215 g)
1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (74g)
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
1 tbsp Thick it Up
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp black strap molasses (eaten by yeast)
3 tbsp Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp yeast
2 tsp whole caraway seeds
1/2 tsp ground caraway seed*

*NOTE: You can use just 1 tbsp whole caraway seed, but the ground seed gives a more intense flavor that mixes all through the bread. Grind the seeds in a coffee grinder, or buy it ground.

Artificial sweetener equal to 1/4 cup sugar (I use liquid sucralose)
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Set the bread maker to manual mode, (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook, or knead 10 minutes by hand.)

Follow the instructions for manual mode for your particular breadmaker. Allow it to knead for 10 minutes, then take it out of the bread maker.
(If using a stand mixer, mix for 1 minute with the paddle then mix for 10 minutes with the dough hook. I have the biggest kitchenaid mixer, and it will not knead in my mixer unless I double the recipe...the dough ball is too small with only one loaf.)

If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000. After 10 minutes of kneading, remove from the breadmaker, form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. I use my oven. I preheat it to about 115 degrees, then turn it off and turn on the oven light. The heat from the light will keep it at the right temp.)

When the doughhas risen, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. (It usually takes between 30 and 40 minutes for to rise for me.)

Turn it out onto a rack to cool.

NOTE: Don’t let this bread rise twice or it will ruin it. Form it into a loaf as soon as it is finished kneading, and let it rise and bake it.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 3g carbs per slice.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #48
Luv2loose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2loose
Stats: 199/174/154, 150
WOE: low carb/Atkins
Start Date: Aug 2015 (second time)
Thank you Sharon. I'll give it a try and let you know how I did.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #49
Ann1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann1
Well, I don't own a stand mixer or a bread maker but I do want to try this bread! Can anyone tell me the calorie count? I watch my carbs and my calories.
Ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #50
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Debbie (Tater Head)

I watched both UTube videos of Diedra's and printed out the recipe
for stand mixer. I was bowled over by the size her loaf rose. My gosh.
She did not cut it for her viewers and I wonder if it fell?

Going to try the stand mixer loaf and see what I can do. I won't buy
SAF yeast as I think I like the Fleishmann's instant better.

Cannot find Diedra anyplace else but the two bread utubes. Do you
know why she didn't continue as she asked for subscribers?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #51
RexsreineSC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RexsreineSC
WOE: LC, lower fat, higher protein
Start Date: off and on for ten years
Am wondering how this bread would turn out if I used ALL Einkorn and no vital wheat gluten? Would it rise decently? Definitely more carb-y but still healthier than most breads.

Still trying to get a real yeast bread that's tasty, not too carb-loaded, and avoids as much modern wheat gluten as possible.

Ginny in SC
RexsreineSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #52
cselzler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
If you read below the recipe, about my flops, then you would know I tried to make it just like Diedra.

It was only after I went and bought saf yeast on-line and made sure all the ingredients were room temp, boiling water under rack, right size loaf pan ect. that I finally got a nice big loaf. Diedra said hers also fell a little, she said lc breads do that because of no gluten. Good to know any yeast works, glad some of you who have tried it like it. Even my flops tasted good, lol. love this bread.

Debbie...
Hmmmm. This low carb bread does have a significant amount of gluten. There is 1 1/4 cups of gluten. That's what vital wheat gluten is. I always have trouble with any recipe with flax. The slimy mouth feel just bothers me. The breads from Kevin's bread flour is very normal too. I just made a loaf from his flour mix. Granted it requires some specialty ingredients but I don't think I would like the flax in this one. Is the flax noticible?
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #53
tulipsandroses
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cselzler View Post
Hmmmm. This low carb bread does have a significant amount of gluten. There is 1 1/4 cups of gluten. That's what vital wheat gluten is. I always have trouble with any recipe with flax. The slimy mouth feel just bothers me. The breads from Kevin's bread flour is very normal too. I just made a loaf from his flour mix. Granted it requires some specialty ingredients but I don't think I would like the flax in this one. Is the flax noticible?
Nope. No slimy mouth feel. This tastes like regular bread to me. The flax lends a some what whole wheaty taste to this recipe. I would eat this bread even if I did not know it was low carb. Hands down the best low carb bread I've tried.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #54
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexsreineSC View Post
Am wondering how this bread would turn out if I used ALL Einkorn and no vital wheat gluten? Would it rise decently? Definitely more carb-y but still healthier than most breads.

Still trying to get a real yeast bread that's tasty, not too carb-loaded, and avoids as much modern wheat gluten as possible.

Ginny in SC
There are all sorts of really good einkorn bread recipes floating around, no need to make it low carb if you're going to use all einkorn flour.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #55
UncaAndoo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
Can anyone comment on how long a loaf lasts before going stale? Back in the day, using my breadmaker, I would cut off a slice and simply place the loaf cut side down on the cutting board. I was always surprised how well the outside crust protected the loaf.
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #56
Tater Head
Senior LCF Member

Back to answer ?

you will not taste the flax at all, no slim.

I too wish Diedra would come back on her channel and make more goodies

The bread will get moldy fast if left out, so put in fridge in a container with lid.

I take the bread out with-in 3 minutes of baking, cool on rack

I have made it many times now, so here are some tips. Don't use the pan of boiling water under it, don't have your oven too warm while letting it rise and don't let it rise past 60 minutes. I know all things I said to do, but don't, lol.

I have made it in my cheap bread maker and it turned out just fine, even though it got punched down twice. I prefer the stand mixer way. I get a huge loaf that looks just like Diedra's now. I let my oven heat up to 100 degree's then turn off while I make the dough. Put dough in and let rise 50-55 minutes. Once it has risen, I put dough loaf in microwave above my oven while I heat the oven to 375. I do think the yeast brand matters the Saf yeast is one of the best I have ever used, love it.

I use and electric knife to cut, hands down the easiest way to cut this bread. Can find at Wal-mart in crockpot aisle, 9 bucks.

I love this bread, it taste like real, no funky weird taste like other lc breads have. I get 16 slices, 14 and 2 end pieces. So I have enough for 7 sandwiches. I make it so much, that I got some small wide mouth containers at dollar tree to store mixes. I mix up all the dry ingredients, even the yeast and keep in these containers. Then when I need another loaf, just add the warm water, eggs, honey and butter to my mixer.

Glad some of you have tried it, best find ever, good luck everyone, Debbie....
Old 04-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #57
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Love this bread too! I loved mine too, but this one is much faster to put together...
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #58
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Which is better this or Soul Bread?
Anita's Web Page
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #59
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Which is better this or Soul Bread?
I personally can't stand soul bread and I e tried different versions of it toi.

This bread , hands down, better than soul bread..
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #60
SkeeterN
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
I personally can't stand soul bread and I e tried different versions of it toi.

This bread , hands down, better than soul bread..
Will try it
Anita's Web Page