Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #91
pamchesbay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pamchesbay
Waiting

ouizoid - thanks for the advice re: waiting until I have all the ingredients.

Someone on this thread asked about a sub for the oat fiber - I think the recommendation was to use almond or coconut flour. I also wondered about oat flour or rolled oats. I googled glucomannan powder, learned that it is a thickener, that xanthan gum is often used as a sub. On a different thread, psyllium husks were a recommended sub.

I'm a newbie don't know the properties of some of these ingredients yet. You created this recipe, it's clearly great, so you are the expert. I have Charski's cheese bread recipe to play with.

Need to get that Netrition order off ASAP.

Thanks to all!
pamchesbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #92
at_last
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Pam -
The thing with oat fiber is it's 0 net carbs because it's only fiber.

Oat flour is pretty high carb - about 23gm net carbs in 1/3 cup - which equals about 5 1/3 TBS.

So you may be able to sub it but the bread wouldn't be low carb anymore.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #93
pamchesbay
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pamchesbay
at last - thanks for taking the time to educate me. I had NO IDEA that oat fiber and oat flour were so different re carbs and calories.

I'm working on my Netrition order now, intend to get it off tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again!
pamchesbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #94
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
I made a new loaf today with 75 ml of egg whites instead of a whole egg and 25 ml of olive oil for the fat. I also decided to looselycover the soup mug with its lid(just balanced on top and with the vent open). I'm not sure which variable improved my result but I think it was the lid. My loaf rose to the top of the soup mug and the top didn't stay sticky. This was my best loaf yet so I'll stay with this combo.

And I lost .3 of a lb overnight too!

If there was a vote for the most useful recipe on these boards, in my opinion this muffin thingy recipe would get my vote.

Bread is so integral to peoples lives that to have an easy delicious and next to no carb bread is having the best of all world's.

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung

Last edited by Deb34; 01-10-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #95
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Wow Deb! I'll have to try it with a lid now!

SO happy you like this recipe--it does make it so easy to have bread around!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #96
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
4 T egg beaters and 2 tsp cream

Wow guys. If ever there was a recipe to make a large batch of dry mix, this is it! For example, 8 recipes' worth of mix:

1 cup parmesan
1 cup oat fiber
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp glucomannan powder
1 cup unflavored whey protein powder

Just use 6 1/3 T (same as 6 T + 1 tsp) each time you want to make it.
Hello ladies…

I mixed up a bulk batch from the recipe in the quote, and then cooked single 6T recipe in my repurposed Egg Sandwich Cooker for about 1 minute 15 seconds (covered). I learned it's good to grease both sides of the cooker (lightly with butter).

I only greased the bottom & had to work to remove cooked on bits from the lid…

Also it's bigger than this picture lets on. I should have included an egg or something for scale. The cooker is 4¾" across, and the muffin is 2" deep.

Thanks again for the recipe o-z-d and the bulk conversion JH!

°

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #97
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Hey! I just bought that round egg cooker microwave dish! I've only tried it once with an egg broke over several thin round ham slices so far... the bread part comes next! Debating making egg in one side and bread on other or 2 eggs same time, 2 breads same time. I'm wondering if the clear lid is as nonstick as the white side...

Oh, and to answer the "cheesy" question- I don't taste the parmesan AT ALL in this quantity.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #98
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hello ladies…

I mixed up a bulk batch from the recipe in the quote, and then cooked single 6T recipe in my repurposed Egg Sandwich Cooker for about 1 minute 15 seconds (covered). I learned it's good to grease both sides of the cooker (lightly with butter).

I only greased the bottom & had to work to remove cooked on bits from the lid…

Also it's bigger than this picture lets on. I should have included an egg or something for scale. The cooker is 4¾" across, and the muffin is 2" deep.

Thanks again for the recipe o-z-d and the bulk conversion JH!

°
that's what I was going to cook it in originally but I couldn't think that I would get 6 slices out of it. So I'm glad I tried the measuring cup and then graduated to the 20 oz soup mug...easily get 6 slices from each batch.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #99
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Wow Deb! I'll have to try it with a lid now!

SO happy you like this recipe--it does make it so easy to have bread around!
I tried the lid because the top slice always had a wet area which didn't 'bake' so I thought the lid would hold some of the steam in and finish the job- and it worked!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #100
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I made another batch with 3 tbls oat bran and 1 tbls parmesan. It wasn't quite as puffy, but it was less cheesy. I'll do something with it tonight.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #101
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
that's what I was going to cook it in originally but I couldn't think that I would get 6 slices out of it. So I'm glad I tried the measuring cup and then graduated to the 20 oz soup mug...easily get 6 slices from each batch.
Hi Deb…

Nope, you'd probably only get 2-3 slices per 6T batch. I did a batch in a 5¾" thick porcelain bowl (1¾" deep), and it makes about the same size of bun as the egg cooker. I covered it with an inverted saucer for a lid.

I cut it in half crosswise, and toasted the halves, then topped each half with a Sous Vide 144°F egg (warm velvety silky yolk). It was the perfect size.

My wife is already saying Egg Salad or Tuna sandwiches next.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #102
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Larry, you will love this bread for sandwiches!! Egg salad, tuna, grilled cheese, PBJ
Old 01-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #103
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Deb…

Nope, you'd probably only get 2-3 slices per 6T batch. I did a batch in a 5¾" thick porcelain bowl (1¾" deep), and it makes about the same size of bun as the egg cooker. I covered it with an inverted saucer for a lid.

I cut it in half crosswise, and toasted the halves, then topped each half with a Sous Vide 144°F egg (warm velvety silky yolk). It was the perfect size.

My wife is already saying Egg Salad or Tuna sandwiches next.

I've made tuna sandwiches for work and honestly wouldn't notice a difference from real bread if I hadn't made it myself.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #104
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Folks…

We did a grilled cheese with the another-muffin for dinner, and it's really great. At 67 yrs old (nearly 68) my wife and I both like it, but she tastes the parmesan more prominently than I.

I'm guessing out senses of taste are a bit different (as if I don't know that after 46 years of marriage).

We'll be testing them for other purposes in the coming days/weeks.

I do have a question. When I made my first 'test' muffin, and let it sit for about an hour only lightly covered, when I toasted it, it was pretty 'dry' on the interior.

If they feel dry to you, do you folks add moisture in the form of egg white or cream (my liquid addition of choice)? And how carefully do you measure? I measure the powdered mixture, and the Egg Whites with a measuring cup, but the cream I hate pulling out another measuring device, so I kind of eyeball it in the ¼ cup measure I use for the other items.

Also, do you think our altitude of 6300 ft above sea level (1920 meters) accounts for the need to add a bit more moisture? Water up here boils at 198°F on a good day (three minute eggs take 6 minutes).

Probably thinking too deep…

Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #105
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I made this with isopure 0 carb whey protein. Best I can figure, the whole recipe only has about half a gram of carbs! The oat fiber, egg whites, glucomannan, and parmesan cheese all show 0 carbs...that leaves just the baking powder!

I made it in one of my little square corningware mini casseroles. I got 4 large sandwich sized slices. The bottom is a little smaller than the top so the slices are not all the same size, but it fits perfectly in my bagel slicer so I was able to easily slice it into 4 slices.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #106
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
I'm eating a grilled cheese sandwich on this bread right now! Yum! and guilt free. I can see that this recipe is going to become a staple. I make yeast bread regularly, but sometimes I DO run out (like now) and it is so nice to be able to whip up some "bread" in just a couple of minutes.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #107
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sharon, this bread is made for grilled cheese--I think that is my favorite.

Larry--all breads made with oat fiber are somewhat dry. That is why I originally included glucomannan in my recipes, to add moisture to the oat fiber. Of course you are correct--adding cream or whole eggs may improve the final product. I think though that slicing the bread fairly thinly and putting a fat based topping (cheese, butter mayo) really is the best solution.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #108
ljguitar
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
…Larry--all breads made with oat fiber are somewhat dry. That is why I originally included glucomannan in my recipes, to add moisture to the oat fiber. Of course you are correct--adding cream or whole eggs may improve the final product. I think though that slicing the bread fairly thinly and putting a fat based topping (cheese, butter mayo) really is the best solution.
Hi ozd…

We are not really altering the recipe. But we are searching the house/storage for a container to make the bread the right size/shape in for our use.

Has to go in a toaster, but has to make a decent sandwich too! I'm thinking we will have a couple three containers doing the work before we're through.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #109
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

This definitely DOES make excellent french toast!! Husband approved!

Bun Thingy Cinnamon French Toast
Serves 2

To the usual dry ingredients of the recipe or 6 T of big batch mix, I added:

2 pkts Truvia
2 T PB2
1 t cinnamon
100 g Eggbeaters
20 g cream

This time I covered the measuring cup with sticky plastic wrap and it rose evenly & straight up. 1 1/2 min on high. Unwrap, knife around edges to loosen, flip onto plate, 1/2 minute more. Cool for 1 min, slice into 4 pieces.

In the now empty measuring cup, stir together:
1/2 t vanilla
2 Truvia
10 g cream
50 g Eggbeaters

I spooned half of the mixture into one side of the cut slices and rubbed it in with the back of the spoon. Then I placed them wet side down on melted butter on a hot griddle. I then spooned the rest of the mixture on the backs and rubbed it in. It was exactly enough.

Next time I might even make more of the egg wash mixture, maybe 60 g of Eggbeaters and 20 g cream.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 01-17-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #110
PMcmil5450
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
I made this today...surprisingly good, but quite dry (toasted, haven't tried the other 2 slices). I discovered too late that I was out of egg whites, so I used an egg, but otherwise followed the original recipe. Would it have been less dry if I'd used the egg whites? More cream? Maybe increase the glucomannan and decrease the oat fiber? Has anyone tweaked it to make it less dry? Would appreciate any suggestions, and thanks ouizoid for a great and simple "bread"!!
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #111
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

This recipe is meant to be dry, sliced thinly and toasted or grilled in butter like grilled cheese sandwiches. It toasts up really crispy this way. I did run across an addition that'd make it cake-like though. Add 2 T peanut butter and don't toast. It adds a carb to each slice if you cut it into fourths. Add sweetener if you are looking for cake, none if you are looking for a soft bread.

Jen
Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #112
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
I made this with isopure 0 carb whey protein. Best I can figure, the whole recipe only has about half a gram of carbs! The oat fiber, egg whites, glucomannan, and parmesan cheese all show 0 carbs...that leaves just the baking powder!

I made it in one of my little square corningware mini casseroles. I got 4 large sandwich sized slices. The bottom is a little smaller than the top so the slices are not all the same size, but it fits perfectly in my bagel slicer so I was able to easily slice it into 4 slices.

Those pics look great! I know there have been some tweaks on this thread, I was wondering if you used the original from #1, adjusted up to the large batch in #30, or used one of the tweaks? I finally got all the ingredients to try these, but I don't have time to go all the way thru the whole thread right now.

Also, would you share your yeast bread recipe, or tell me where to find it?

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #113
PMcmil5450
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Based on the original post from ouizoid and some follow-on posts, I did not have the impression that it was specifically meant to be dry and only toasted or grilled...in fact, her original post said it was NOT dry! Perhaps the problem was that I used an egg because I was out of egg whites. If I recall, the batter was a bit thick, so that may be why it was exceptionally dry beyond the toasting. Next time I'll use the egg whites and see if I get better results
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
This recipe is meant to be dry, sliced thinly and toasted or grilled in butter like grilled cheese sandwiches. It toasts up really crispy this way. I did run across an addition that'd make it cake-like though. Add 2 T peanut butter and don't toast. It adds a carb to each slice if you cut it into fourths. Add sweetener if you are looking for cake, none if you are looking for a soft bread.
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #114
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Mine have been dry, too, P.
I have decided to nearly under-cook it in the microwave.
The top center is still a little wet, and I'll put that back in after slicing.

Or I just don't worry about it being dry and I toast it. It's the best (to me) when it's toasted. Haven't tried French toast or grilled cheese. I'm sure that is awesome.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #115
Sueparl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sueparl
oat fiber?

There are a few brands of oat fiber on Netrition----which one do you use?
Sueparl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #116
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
I use LifeSource Foods Oat Fiber 500.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #117
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I buy oat fiber out of the bulk bin at Whole Foods.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #118
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I buy oat fiber out of the bulk bin at Whole Foods.
seriously Gina??? They have Oat fiber at WF??? I thought they just had oatbran!

I just went on the WF site to look at their bulk flours. They do not list oat fiber??

Last edited by ouizoid; 01-18-2016 at 09:07 AM..
Old 01-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #119
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
I have a recipe for Layered Parmesan Chicken Bake that I have made a few times that's very good. The recipe calls for putting garlic flavored croutons on top of the casserole before baking. When I made this recipe I just left the croutons off. I think Ouizoid's new bread recipe would make awesome croutons for this chicken dish. I'll post the recipe below if anyone wants to try it.

Layered Parmesan Chicken Bake
This has been adapted from Foodwishes.com

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
hot red pepper flakes, to taste, optional
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts seasoned with seasoned salt
2 cups low carb marinara sauce (I used Rao's Tomato and Basil Spaghetti sauce)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
8 oz shredded mozzarella, divided
4 oz grated Parmesan, divided
1 (5-oz) package garlic croutons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with Pam. Evenly drizzle olive oil over the bottom of dish. Evenly sprinkle crushed garlic over pan bottom. Sprinkle red pepper flakes, if using, over pan bottom. Lay chicken breasts next over bottom of pan. Squeeze in but don't overlap. Spread marinara sauce over chicken, evenly coating. Sprinkle basil evenly over marinara sauce. Next sprinkle half the mozzarella over the basil, then sprinkle half the parmesan cheese over the mozzarella. Evenly spread all of the croutons on top of the cheeses so they are in a single layer and are laying flat. Then sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella on top of the croutons. Finally, sprinkle the remaining parmesan over top of dish.

Bake for approx 35 minutes or until chicken tests at 155 degrees. May take up to 1 hours depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited by dldickins; 01-18-2016 at 09:14 AM..
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #120
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
seriously Gina??? They have Oat fiber at WF??? I thought they just had oatbran!

I just went on the WF site to look at their bulk flours. They do not list oat fiber??
Maybe I am using oat bran then. Not the same, huh? Oops.