Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #271
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosemary~
Stats: 244/113
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
This is my finished toasted muffin
That looks delicious. I sliced off a bit of my muffin to sort of even it up and then toasted it. It was very good. I'm guessing that I might be over-stirring the batter and mixing in too much air.
Rosemary~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #272
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This is my finished toasted muffin
I just toasted a slice to have with dinner. It looks just like yours. The texture on the cut side of the muffin has lots of little holes just like a regular English muffin and it toasted very evenly.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #273
grammajo
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammajo
Stats: 250/241.4/231.6
WOE: Low carb 4/1 to 4/20 now Fasting
Start Date: 4/20/17
I've placed my Netrition order; just wish it didn't take a week to get here! This sounds wonderful! I'm assuming since it has only 1 nc or less, it works for induction.
grammajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #274
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Yeah, I'd donate a warehouse here in the top of Texas if I had one!

As for the Induction question. No, it's technically not an induction recipe. BUT it's so low carb that if this is the recipe that'd see you through successfully, then I'd say use it.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #275
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary~ View Post
I tried Jen's version and it came out perfect. I baked it in a 2 cup, 16 oz. Great Value Twist 'n Store round plastic container (has a purple screw on lid) from WalMart. I like it because the sides come up straight from the bottom and don't taper. I did grease it but I'm not sure that was necessary. After 1 min. and 25 seconds in the microwave I took it out and let it set for another min. It came out easily. One problem, just about every muffin recipe I've tried rises lopsided and has large holes here and there. I solved the hole problem by dragging a knife through the batter several times and banging down, for lack of better words, the container on the counter once or twice before I put it in the microwave. I read somewhere, it might have been in this thread, that if the contents rises lopsided stop the microwave about every 15 or 20 seconds and rotate the container a 1/4 turn. It seemed to help. Anyone else have this problem?
I plan to make ahead and freeze a type of egg McMuffin to have on hand to grab and take with me to work on rushed mornings. I've been looking for a low carb muffin recipe to replace the English muffins McDonalds uses. This recipe might just be what I'm looking for.
Mine rises unevenly, but by the time it is done, it has all risen to the same level...the center being the last to rise to the top. No holes. I cook it for 90 seconds.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #276
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
The very best thing about this recipe is you can make it in less than 5 minutes! Most of the time, I make yeast bread, but sometimes I run out or just don't have time to bake. This recipe gives me bread in 5 minutes that can be used for toast, sandwiches, burgers, etc. Thank you so much for sharing it! (When traveling in our little motor home, I mix up all the dry ingredients, package them up in little ziplock bags...one serving per bag, and stick them in the cupboard. All I have to do is add the eggwhites (or a whole egg) and voila! instant bread! I have to cook it a little longer because that is a really tiny microwave in there!)

Last edited by sbwertz; 03-06-2016 at 09:20 AM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #277
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/125.2/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
I absolutely love this recipe. I just toasted a piece english muffin style and topped with butter and cinnamon.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #278
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I tried Jen's version and it came out perfect. I baked it in a 2 cup, 16 oz. Great Value Twist 'n Store round plastic container (has a purple screw on lid) from WalMart. I like it because the sides come up straight from the bottom and don't taper. I did grease it but I'm not sure that was necessary. After 1 min. and 25 seconds in the microwave I took it out and let it set for another min. It came out easily. One problem, just about every muffin recipe I've tried rises lopsided and has large holes here and there. I solved the hole problem by dragging a knife through the batter several times and banging down, for lack of better words, the container on the counter once or twice before I put it in the microwave. I read somewhere, it might have been in this thread, that if the contents rises lopsided stop the microwave about every 15 or 20 seconds and rotate the container a 1/4 turn. It seemed to help. Anyone else have this problem?
I plan to make ahead and freeze a type of egg McMuffin to have on hand to grab and take with me to work on rushed mornings. I've been looking for a low carb muffin recipe to replace the English muffins McDonalds uses. This recipe might just be what I'm looking for.
The Twist & Store container I used above was bought at Stater Bros. not WalMart. I was at WalMart this morning and they carry what looks like the same thing using the Great Value name. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #279
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Mine rises unevenly, but by the time it is done, it has all risen to the same level...the center being the last to rise to the top. No holes. I cook it for 90 seconds.
The holes aren't found so much on the inside of the muffin as on the outside. I still suspect I might be over mixing the dough.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #280
dldickins
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/277/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted Jan 27, 2016
Quote:
Didikins I'd love to know how the recipe fails. I've made it more than 20 times and it is consistently good? Love to brainstorm with you!
Okay, I figured out what I did wrong! I was using the dry ingredients for a single batch but was using the liquid amount for the double batch.

I tried again this morning with a single batch of dry ingredients (2 Tab Oat fiber, Parm Cheese and Whey) and added 75 gm liquid egg white and 1 Tbs heavy cream. The bread came out perfect and I was able to slice it into 4 slices.

I agree with some of the other posters that the bread is very dry when toasted but it's the closest looking to real bread that I've seen. I think next time I'll add another tablespoon of cream to see if that helps. I also want to try adding 2 tbls of peanut butter like JHoberer suggested.

Thanks for creating this recipe. I will be using this a lot!
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #281
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
mine is not so dry, because I add at least a quarter cup of cashew milk or more. Try it with more liquid.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #282
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Ouiz do you add 1/4 cup cashew milk or more PLUS about 6 Tbsp. egg whites?

Anyone using real egg instead of carton egg whites - use 1 egg per 6 Tbsp. dry mix and cashew milk to desired consistency?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #283
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I do Judy.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #284
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks so much.

I admit I've got a metric load of lupin flour and I had used half lupin, half protein powder.
I made the big batch twice using that.
My type 1 husband really really liked it, but it didn't quite do it for me.

I'm going to leave out the lupin this time and only use PP. I'll use all that liquid and I bet I'll like it better.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #285
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Next time anyone gets hold of a "genuine" egg McMuffin would you take a look at the English muffin and see if it's been toasted, toasted only on one side or not toasted at all. I had a little extra time this morning so I used 2 slices of the muffin I made yesterday and toasted them. Then I assembled the egg, cheese and sausage patty between the muffin slices. Very good and very filling but biting into it the muffin it broke apart. It's possible I over toasted it. When I want toast I mean toast not warm bread. That could be the problem. Tomorrow I'm going to butter the slices and fry them face down for a little bit so just one side is toasted. My toaster will toast just one side I think but it's sort of hard to get the slices out without breaking them apart.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #286
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmmm....mine toasts like a real piece of toast. Holds together perfectly well.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #287
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine too. Completely like toast never breaks apart holds together like any other piece of bread
Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #288
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

Yup, never breaks apart here.

Jen
Old 03-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #289
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hmmmm....mine toasts like a real piece of toast. Holds together perfectly well.
I think if I had eaten it as just a slice of toast it wouldn't have broken apart. I was trying to eat it as a breakfast sandwich, 2 slices with "stuff" between, like a real Egg McMuffin. Maybe I squeezed it too hard trying to get it in my mouth, but mostly I think I just over toasted it until it was too crispy.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #290
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

I used one of my 3 cup rectangular glass pyrex dishes and the bread came out to a perfect size. I cut it in half and the slices were perfect size for toaster.j
Old 03-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #291
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

I finally got my eggs and muffins worked out (size and shape) for my homemade "grab it out of the freezer and get to work" mcmuffins. I'm using a muffin top pan and it's just perfect - egg fits perfectly on muffin. I'd like to make a sausage patty to fit the egg and muffin. I just use Jimmy Dean or something like it. If I form the patty and pat it into the muffin top pan to bake do I risk overflowing sausage grease? I just thought of another problem, regardless, the patty will probably shrink. Back to the drawing board.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #292
EnglishLit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EnglishLit
This is a really great recipe and easy to build on! I normally dislike mug cakes, but this is really, really good for a quick snack, especially when you need something relatively low calorie to stretch in between meals.

I just made a sweeter version of this, but not cloyingly sweet. I used the 4 tablespoons of egg whites, 1/4 cup of cashew cream and added a dab of vanilla extract to it. For the dry ingredients, I used 2 TB of oat fiber, 1 TB of vanilla protein powder and 1 TB of unsweetened peanut powder, and added a tablespoon of erythritol with it, along with the baking soda and gluc.

Wonderful! You can definitely add more sweetener and more peanut flour to make it into a real dessert, but I just wanted something that wasn't savory, but wasn't sweet either. Texture is great! This is so much more enjoyable than mug cakes made with nut flour and coconut flour.
EnglishLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #293
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree!
Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #294
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

I am finding that if I refrigerate the bread and then toast it I choke while eating it. I am going to try more liquid on my next batch.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #295
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

I think more fat would work better. Try adding a spoonful of peanut or almond butter.

Jen
Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #296
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
I've made this twice now, once with egg whites and once with a whole egg, and the texture is a little eggy for me, especially without toasting, but I'm still experimenting. I've also just used the original recipe (no added liquids) so that may also make a difference. All in all, it's an EXCELLENT bread sub and better than anything I've tried so far. I've been using the measuring cup but I'd also like something more square so I want to try other containers. I also want to try the muffin top pan (as I just recently found my muffin top pan again!) so if I do, I will report back on how it works. Ouiz, thanks so much for this!
Hi Shelby, did you ever try the "muffin thingy" recipe in your muffin top pan? I went out and bought one and tried some other recipe and the pan works beautifully. It should for $18 with only 6 muffin cups. I hope to try this recipe today or tomorrow. I'm trying to make a muffin top and bottom for my homemade Egg McMuffins.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #297
Tweaker Geek
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Rosemary - did you try this in the muffin top pan? I've been curious about doing that too but haven't yet. It's so quick to just do in the microwave.

2015--Recipe for Success: Plan! Certainty of Success: Follow Plan!
Note to self: Ya gotta stick with the plan!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #298
Rosemary~
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Rosemary - did you try this in the muffin top pan? I've been curious about doing that too but haven't yet. It's so quick to just do in the microwave.
Yes, I did and it worked just fine, at least for my purposes. The muffins are intended to be the replacement for the English muffin on an Egg McMuffin. Since the pan is metal I bake them in the oven. 350 for about 25 minutes. Twenty minutes might be better, they seemed a little overbrown and dry. Ovens vary. Silicone muffin top pans are available but I haven't found any yet. I filled the "muffin well" right to the top and I got a muffin slightly too thick for just a top of bottom, but when sliced in half just a little too thin. I'll try filling the well just a little less full. The pan is non-stick but grease well, the muffins wanted to stick a little. That might have come from the over baking.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #299
Pam
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/148/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Anyone use/suggest a sub for the 2 T. Parmesan cheese? Would moz cheese work...or would it change the texture?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #300
JHoberer
Major LCF Poster!

The parmesan seems to be key to get this muffin to toast.

Jen